• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| A Max Landis Production

Black Hat

5SnTWUV.png

Anybody going to watch Ready to Rumble (2000) to mark this special occasion? lol

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0217756/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_62

klonere

Banned
It's funny to hear Meltz and most of the IWC talking about "oh listen to the crowds, there are no stars, the guy they did push is hated/not cared about, part timers, they've killed everyone's aura that appear on weekly TV, they've killed the concept of a match (wins and losses don't matter and storyline outcomes don't matter so actually they've killed the entire point of everything). The continue to push Z-tier daytime sitcom dialogue etc forever.".

Yet they are coming off the biggest Mania of all time, playing to a sold out Raw last night again. They are still laughing all the way to the bank. It's seriously impressive.

Recall

It's funny to hear Meltz and most of the IWC talking about "oh listen to the crowds, there are no stars, the guy they did push is hated/not cared about, part timers, they've killed everyone's aura that appear on weekly TV, they've killed the concept of a match (wins and losses don't matter and storyline outcomes don't matter so actually they've killed the entire point of everything). The continue to push Z-tier daytime sitcom dialogue etc forever.".

Yet they are coming off the biggest Mania of all time, playing to a sold out Raw last night again. They are still laughing all the way to the bank. It's seriously impressive.

Every RAW has been shit for 13 years with the exception of about 10-20 episodes. 600+ episodes and people still blindly tune in.

Vince doesnt need to try as people still tune in and buy the tickets. Its a clear sign that the product must be fine as people are still there and the company made huge bank last year. Terrible in ring work doesnt mean its a product that doesnt make money.

The only time Vince will change anything is if no-one turned up to a show (even with comping tickets), and that will never happen.

A main event of Reigns vs. Triple H and Taker vs. Shane still managed to put 90,000 people in seats. A turd on a pole would most likely draw the same as it clearly doesnt matter, it shows WWE's main audience will buy and accept anything.

Aiii

So not worth it
One thing Vince gets right is catering to kids. You can sell kids literally anything, they are the least critical consumers you can imagine. Smart move there.

Just look at all the crap you were into as a kid, whether entertainment, toys, foods, most of what you loved was complete crap and you know it and you still love it to this day thanks to this wonderful thing called nostalgia.

Nostalgia is literally why most of you are still watching Raw every Monday.

Browny

Banned
A main event of Reigns vs. Triple H and Taker vs. Shane still managed to put 90,000 people in seats. A turd on a pole would most likely draw the same as it clearly doesnt matter, it shows WWE's main audience will buy and accept anything.

Huge occasions will sell out no matter what. Examples include:

• Glastonbury festival - tickets sell out well before the rumours of acts even begin. (Yes they do normally deliver, but you never know...)
  • Man Utd games - despite the fact that they're not doing well (in the big scheme of things), you know every game will be a sell-out.
  • Saturdays at cricket Test Matches - almost always a sell-out in the UK, yet subject to the weather.

WM will always sell out, long before the card is even announced. It's the way. Same with the Rumble - it sells on reputation and promise. The other PPVs - not necessarily sell-outs, but they'll make enough money on pre-bookings to keep things going.

klonere

Banned
I just wish they would stop fucking signing people I really like, I desperately want to cut it completely out of my entertainment cycle because it generally makes me feel miserable.

Happy for the guys making money but goddamn is it just awful trash.

Huge occasions will sell out no matter what. Examples include:

• Glastonbury festival - tickets sell out well before the rumours of acts even begin. (Yes they do normally deliver, but you never know...)
  • Man Utd games - despite the fact that they're not doing well (in the big scheme of things), you know every game will be a sell-out.
  • Saturdays at cricket Test Matches - almost always a sell-out in the UK, yet subject to the weather.

WM will always sell out, long before the card is even announced. It's the way. Same with the Rumble - it sells on reputation and promise. The other PPVs - not necessarily sell-outs, but they'll make enough money on pre-bookings to keep things going.

WM performed far far far better than last year, which wasn't sold out at all, no matter what they say. Plus a lot of Mania tickets this year were bought in the weeks or the week of, when they had to open up even more floor space to seat people.

So the all time bad WM build we bitched about....was a draw.

One thing Vince gets right is catering to kids. You can sell kids literally anything, they are the least critical consumers you can imagine. Smart move there.

Just look at all the crap you were into as a kid, whether entertainment, toys, foods, most of what you loved was complete crap and you know it and you still love it to this day thanks to this wonderful thing called nostalgia.

Nostalgia is literally why most of you are still watching Raw every Monday.

I can't have nostalgia, they just sign all these indie geeks that I like :(

Hex

Banned
Gallows and Anderson will turn on AJ.

Reigns will look on in disbelief when Gallows and Anderson pretend like they're really helping him.

Then they'll turn on Reigns.

Then Reigns will hit them with Superman punches and they'll retreat.

I predict no Balor. Just your less than stellar average Vince booking.

IF there is any hope of keeping things good in the WWE it will happen close to what you said except Reigns will get laid out also. Then Usos run down and get laid out too then Roman and AJ start stirring and getting into it and out comes Balor.
BUT I also expect Balor if he is involved to happen the Monday after.

So I watched this Cesaro/Maryse segment. Do they have some deal for the James Bond thing in Cesaro's entrance? Seems like the kind of thing they could get in trouble for.

I doubt they bothered and I believe the gunbarrel sequence is absolutely property of Eon Productions.

Been used in countless parodies, it is fair game.

I am not sure if this falls under parody. Wrestling is a tight rope for that sort of thing.

I just wish they would stop fucking signing people I really like, I desperately want to cut it completely out of my entertainment cycle because it generally makes me feel miserable.

Happy for the guys making money but goddamn is it just awful trash.

I'm only really watching the PPVs and feel like I enjoy them more than a lot of fans who're so tied up in the week-to-week booking, but I can't bring myself to properly follow the product - the format is such a chore that, even with WWE signing or showing interest in a ton of wrestlers I really like, it's hard to believe that the product (the TV side of things especially) will radically improve.

Aiii

So not worth it
I'm only really watching the PPVs and feel like I enjoy them more than a lot of fans who're so tied up in the week-to-week booking, but I can't bring myself to properly follow the product - the format is such a chore that, even with WWE signing or showing interest in a ton of wrestlers I really like, it's hard to believe that the product (the TV side of things especially) will radically improve.

Who is this British Monsoon fellow, he seems like a person who would enjoy Japanese Wrestling a whole lot more than this American Trash.

Who is this British Monsoon fellow, he seems like a person who would enjoy Japanese Wrestling a whole lot more than this American Trash.

I do indeed enjoy the Glorious Nihon Puroresu! And British wrestling, of course. Looking forward to everyone seeing the Global Cruiserweight qualifiers from PROGRESS this weekend, get ready to become instant Jack Gallagher fans. He's the Nigel Thornberry of wrestling;

BhpAPci.jpg

Smashing!

Clegg

I've enjoyed the Raw's since Wrestlemania. The quality of TV matches has gotten better in recent weeks mainly because they're giving the guys a bit more time. AJ Styles in particular has had some great matches.

shanafan

reignsidiot3zkl2.gif

Gallows and Anderson come down to interfere. Roman beats them all and AJ, thus retaining the title. But then while celebrating they recover and beat the crap out of Reigns. Usos come down to help Roman but then end up betraying him and joining Balor Club or whatever it's called.

I oddly thought during this that Roman should just rip off the jacket and change the wardrobe finally. The dude needs a makeover.

What a boring raw. Anderson/Gallows tag match was underwhelming. I wish they gave more time to the Vaudevillians. I feel like there is a lot of creative room there evtween those three tag teams. Enzo and Cass just need to chill with the same intro over and over.

I'm also enjoying everyone trying to fantasy book Balor, Aj and bullet club. Gunna be great when it turns into nothing and everyone is complaining. Both AJ and Balor are huge merch movers for them so making them heel would hurt that.

Kurita

What a boring raw. Anderson/Gallows tag match was underwhelming. I wish they gave more time to the Vaudevillians. I feel like there is a lot of creative room there evtween those three tag teams. Enzo and Cass just need to chill with the same intro over and over.

I'm also enjoying everyone trying to fantasy book Balor, Aj and bullet club. Gunna be great when it turns into nothing and everyone is complaining. Both AJ and Balor are huge merch movers for them so making them heel would hurt that.
I'm with you on the tag team thing.
I really want fun segments involving the three teams.

Hex

Banned

The swerve will be when Balor sides with AJ against Anderson and Gallows.

bjork

I can see it now. Vince comes out at the end of the ppv to announce who is going to run Raw. The kids are arguing, and HHH goes to hit Shane with a sledgehammer. Vince jumps in the way and takes the shot, and as a result, he doesn't recognize anyone because he now has amnesia and thinks it is 1985.

Reboot

The swerve will be when Balor sides with AJ against Anderson and Gallows.

That makes sense from a business stand point. Its funny over on Wreddit everyone saying "The Anderson/Gallows theme is clearly temporary and short term b/c Bullet Club is happening at payback with Finn"

I can see it now. Vince comes out at the end of the ppv to announce who is going to run Raw. The kids are arguing, and HHH goes to hit Shane with a sledgehammer. Vince jumps in the way and takes the shot, and as a result, he doesn't recognize anyone because he now has amnesia and thinks it is 1985.

Reboot

This might be the best outcome.

Fox318

Reboot
Does that mean Jack Tunney will run raw?

miserable

Reboot

so Hogan returns on Raw the next night

klonere

Banned
I know slightlyconfuse brought it up yesterday but holy shit Zeus and Sekimoto tried to murder each other in the Champion Carnival final. Not quite Okabayashi/Sekimoto level but still highly enjoyable and violent.

just when i thought i read all the worst outcomes for this Bullet Club stuff, here comes a new challenger

Oh god I can totally see them doing this.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
I was pretty sure a Reigns heel turn was coming, but now I am pretty convinced that they are going to stick with him being a face and just try to ignore the fact that no one likes him.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It's gonna be so delicious when Roman Reigns is given the Bullet Club.

Fox318

Bullet Club would be way more over if commentary actually sounded scared of them.

Cole has never called a single good match in his career.

My live experience anecdote:

I see people questioning the Usos and complaining about dull crowds but when you're there, it's full of energy. You chant and cheer and recite the gimmicks, yes even for the Usos, because it's part of the fun. Why that doesn't translate to tv is confusing. We were even chanting "Lucha Lucha Lucha" because that was the thing to do (I think that was a preshow match). We booed Jericho when needed but cheered his presence. There was a roaring back and forth between Roman fans and haters which took away the cringe I normally feel when watching on tv. The opening polling bit between Steph and Shane was great. Ambrose giving a shout out to Hartford by way of the Asylum street mention got a nice reaction. It was an overall fun time.

No, it wasn't a show shooting on wrestling, I know that's preferred around here, nor did it feature the corny stars that were pushed that YOU favored, but it was fun.

Also, claims of this not being like two weeks ago is weird since that show set the storylines, they don't need Shane on screen calling everything anymore (with Payback right around the corner). Save that for post main event again.

Top Bottom