• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| A Max Landis Production

Zach

I'm hating other people, not fun. You crazy? You think I hate fun!?

E3 is absolutely insufferable on kideo game forums. People who only have a pittance of money desperately casting bets, like these companies give a fuck. A sucker is born every minute.

Shit I'm actually curious about:

How Sony will justify a shitty little performance bump with new hardware while simultaneously ensuring its policies hold it back from what little it could do. I have zero faith consoles will continue to be relevant. Sony, MS, and Nintendo to a far lesser degree are fighting wars over peanuts while everyone else who broadens their horizons on what games are played on are taking the entire country out from around their shitty little fiefdom.

If you want consoles to continue, they need a massive shot in the arm - to be far less like PC than they are now. Says a lot that the mobile space, with zero of the drawbacks of current consoles (have to be in front of a TV to play it, installation is ZERO effort, patches automatic and DONE beforehand as opposed to when you boot it) have eaten their entire lunch. The little inconveniences people dealt with on PC are replicated on consoles now. There's just no tradeoff.

Mmhmm, mmhmm. Well I'm-a still buy consoles and play games on them. If they died, though, whatevs. I'd adapt or stop playing.

I guess I just look at it differently. You guys are annoyed by the hype and the fanboyz, but I kinda get a kick out of it.

sf4xkOt.gif

sf4xkOt.gif

XenoRaven

I'm excited for the cross promotional storyline where Anderson and Gallows are actually working for Balor, who is still pissed about AJ taking Bullet Club from him.

#fantasybooking

notworksafe

i'm actually excited for Cena's return as well. I never fucking thought I'd say that.

He can give a better promo than the entire roster and brings the "big match feel" to his fights. And after the US Title run he had, I really believe he's figured out how to elevate the folks he works with much better than he ever has before.

Sephzilla

He can give a better promo than the entire roster and brings the "big match feel" to his fights. And after the US Title run he had, I really believe he's figured out how to elevate the folks he works with much better than he ever has before.

Not sure about that part. I think Zayn, Owens, and potentially Enzo give better promos than him. Cena's still near the top of the ladder in that department though. It's too bad WWE completely wasted Cena's US Title run by having him drop it to Del Rio

Cena is privatization to Roman Reigns Tory ravaged NHS with Vince McMahon as Jeremy Hunt.

r9H0UaO.gif

I guess I'd pay more credence to the idea of mobile gaming totally killing the market for consoles if mobile gaming, generally, wasn't trash. Also, PC gaming makes baby steps in terms of usability and simplicity of use - just look at Valve's idea of plug-and-play with their Steam controller. Faff about for 10+ minutes just trying to settle on a controller scheme that works.

notworksafe

Not sure about that part. I think Zayn, Owens, and potentially Enzo give better promos than him. Cena's still near the top of the ladder in that department though. It's too bad WWE completely wasted Cena's US Title run by having him drop it to Del Rio
Owens is definitely up there in the top 3 and Zayn is working well and getting there himself. I love me some Enzo but so far he's given the same promo every week so it's hard to tell what he's gonna do on the main roster.

The Del Rio fight is actually my first thought when I think of Cena's work lately. Cena and Del Rio built a beef in about three minutes that felt bigger than a lot of the feuds do after three weeks. Afterwards it went to shit, but that's not on Cena.

XenoRaven

Enzo's been pretty hit or miss since getting to the main roster. This might just be a personal thing, but I get pretty embarrassed on his behalf when he just repeats lines he did 2 years ago on NXT like they're fresh and new. It's just weird to me. I also feel like he and Cass are getting away from their comedy stuff which was the best thing about them and have traded for this tough guy act.

Sephzilla

Owens is definitely up there in the top 3 and Zayn is working well and getting there himself. I love me some Enzo but so far he's given the same promo every week so it's hard to tell what he's gonna do on the main roster.

The Del Rio fight is actually my first thought when I think of Cena's work lately. Cena and Del Rio built a beef in about three minutes that felt bigger than a lot of the feuds do after three weeks.

I actually fucking hated the Cena/Del Rio fight. 2 minutes into the goddamn match and Del Rio is doing fucking rest holds and shit because there's no way he could keep up with Cena if Cena kept going at the pace he went against Owens and Zayn. And then Del Rio wins with one fucking kick to the head after Cena managed to beat Owens after KO did about 7 different finishers to him.

Fuck that match and fuck Del Rio.

klonere

Banned
ChDty2YUoAA3pZo.jpg

OH BOY

The Del Rio fight is actually my first thought when I think of Cena's work lately. Cena and Del Rio built a beef in about three minutes that felt bigger than a lot of the feuds do after three weeks. Afterwards it went to shit, but that's not on Cena.

I like Enzo's little embellishments every week. The respeck line from this weeks Raw, insulting the Dudleys originally, the stuff with the Vaudevillians...it's not all the same promo!

Nintendo is making mobile specific games with the Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem IP. This is absolutely smart and far, far, far better move than what Tech Twitter wants them do, which is porting their back catalog to tvOS/iOS.

I know IAP is the devil but check this:
Finnish mobile game developer Supercell on Wednesday reported revenue of $2.3 billion and $930 million in income for 2015.

Why in the world would Nintendo port their back catalog for one time purchases when a well done mobile IAP studio is generating nearly 1 billion in income?

Sephzilla

I would be legit okay with Cena feuding with Miz for the IC title.

Nintendo is making mobile specific games with the Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem IP. This is absolutely smart and far, far, far better move than what Tech Twitter wants them do, which is porting their back catalog to tvOS/iOS.

I know IAP is the devil but check this:

Why in the world would Nintendo port their back catalog for one time purchases when a well done mobile IAP studio is generating nearly 1 billion in income?

Because the people in the mobile world who are making money hand over fist are an extremely small percentage of the people who actually develop for mobile.

XenoRaven

I don't have much experience with the Steam controller, but I don't think it can really be used as an indictment against PC gaming when I can just plug in an Xbox 360 controller and basically any game I've ever bought on Steam works with it.

notworksafe

I actually fucking hated the Cena/Del Rio fight. 2 minutes into the goddamn match and Del Rio is doing fucking rest holds and shit because there's no way he could keep up with Cena if Cena kept going at the pace he went against Owens and Zayn. And then Del Rio wins with one fucking kick to the head after Cena managed to beat Owens after KO did about 7 different finishers to him.

Fuck that match and fuck Del Rio.
The match itself was something else, I just meant the promo right before got me real hyped real quick.

I like Enzo's little embellishments every week. The respeck line from this weeks Raw, insulting the Dudleys originally, the stuff with the Vaudevillians...it's not all the same promo!
Those first lines against the Dudley's had me legit laughing

XenoRaven

Speaking of the Miz, he's a top 5 promo guy in WWE right now, easy. He's legitimately one of the most entertaining people on the roster.

Go ahead, quote me with just a reaction gif.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Wait wait wait.

Not being able to play games on a 50 inch screen and instead a 4 inch screen is seriously being used as a positive?!

I'm saying this is WHY they are getting their lunch eaten. You're not thinking open enough. If you can get the experience ANYTIME as opposed to sitting down in front of a TV, wouldn't you want that? People do. People want to fill their time they usually spend waiting.

Meanwhile PC game developers/publishers have been making a concerted effort to make things easier over time.

Yup, its paying off big, too. There hasn't been a better time to get into PC gaming. It's so good right now. So hot.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Speaking of the Miz, he's a top 5 promo guy in WWE right now, easy. He's legitimately one of the most entertaining people on the roster.

Go ahead, quote me with just a reaction gif.
No lies detected.

I'm legit a huge fan of the Miz. He totally should have had more than that 1 title run. That 1 title run was also more memorable than almost every one that came after it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I would like Heyman better if he had more than one promo he gave anymore.

I don't have much experience with the Steam controller, but I don't think it can really be used as an indictment against PC gaming when I can just plug in an Xbox 360 controller and basically any game I've ever bought on Steam works with it.

It was a controller designed specifically for PC gaming with ease of use in mind, yet it's just as fiddly as many of the other traditionally fiddly aspects of PC gaming.

People want to fill their time they usually spend waiting.

What about people who want to fill their downtime with deep and engrossing gaming experiences, the sort who play games as a hobby rather than a way to pass the time? It may be becoming more of a niche, but I see no indication that mobile gaming is yet ready to provide what console gaming provides.

klonere

Banned
I'm pretty sure I've always been positive on Miz. Best character. Best talker. Most professional. I hope he cheats and wins against Cesaro tbh I see more upside in him having a long run with the title.

Unless they give the US Title spot to Cesaro to have 15 minute blow away matches every week with the entire roster, that could work too.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
What about people who want to fill their downtime with deep and engrossing gaming experiences, the sort who play games as a hobby rather than a way to pass the time? It may be becoming more of a niche, but I see no indication that mobile gaming is yet ready to provide what console gaming provides.

Those folks are unemployed though

The real move consoles need to make is to make PART of their experience and progression on mobile so you can do both. People who can't get enough of games continue to want to progress in them, and I'm not talking like, these reasonably well conceived "companion apps" that were a thing a ways back, and kind of still are. There's a connection they haven't made that could be big money. Chipping away at eternal progress bars.

God I liked ME3's Datapad app, that was so good, but it was too light. It needs more to it. We will get to that point, and there'll be big money in it.

Sephzilla

I'm still not convinced that mobile gaming isn't a giant bubble that's ready to burst. It's in it's "gold rush" phase where everyone is seeing how much money one or two companies are making and are chasing that, but most are coming up short

Hex

Banned
Enzo's been pretty hit or miss since getting to the main roster. This might just be a personal thing, but I get pretty embarrassed on his behalf when he just repeats lines he did 2 years ago on NXT like they're fresh and new. It's just weird to me. I also feel like he and Cass are getting away from their comedy stuff which was the best thing about them and have traded for this tough guy act.

I will let you in on a secret...
There were these guys called the New Age Outlaws that are still to this day repeating the same lines word for word and the crowd still eats it up.
There was another group called Degeneration X...same thing.
This guy called The Rock? Has been recycling the same exact lines for decades.
The core of Enzo and Cass' intro (or as I call it the Entro) will always be the same, and will then be mixed with a few lines about the opponent in question.

bjork

Mobile gaming has come pretty far, when was the last time you looked into it? It isn't all match-3s and slot machines, and hasn't been for some time.

Sephzilla

Miz's direct-to-DVD movie star persona is fucking golden. And now that he's actively playing up the fact that he gets to screw Maryse propels him into A+ tier heeldom

I'm still not convinced that mobile gaming isn't a giant bubble that's ready to burst. It's in it's "gold rush" phase where everyone is seeing how much money one or two companies are making and are chasing that, but most are coming up short
It's as much as a bubble as gaming in general was in the 90s.

Because the people in the mobile world who are making money hand over fist are an extremely small percentage of the people who actually develop for mobile.

I know they are, but Nintendo has branding and marketing that a lot of mobile companies could only hope for (even in the current slump). I just think it's a smarter play to create new, mobile first, games with their IP than to port a back catalog. Especially when you consider mobile users reluctance to spend money upfront and Nintendo's history of e-shop pricing.

I still see people daily playing Candy Crush on my commute. A 3 year old game with almost 0 evolution as a product beyond being Bejeweled with candy. I don't think it's games so much as its apps in general are in a bubble. Competing for attention in app stores filled with shit and clones.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

The money is being made, though

Mobile gaming has come pretty far, when was the last time you looked into it? It isn't all match-3s and slot machines, and hasn't been for some time.

Yup. It's come a ways. Still has a ways to go if you want a console experience, but console experiences just simply take too much work to spit out good ones without it being a huge gamble for the company

imBask

Banned
Clash Royale is the first mobile game I can say I actually enjoy playing, and we're 10 years into mobile gaming.

Mobile gaming is trash, it's the Attitude Era of gaming

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Most people turned a corner on the Miz, rightfully so, during Tough Talk as he showed he was incredibly knowledgeable about what he's doing and wants to help people. He's good. And that was a great showcase into how and why he does what he does and how good that is.

Now, I don't think he's exceptional or even great, but that work he did there warmed me the fuck up.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I'm excited for the cross promotional storyline where Anderson and Gallows are actually working for Balor, who is still pissed about AJ taking Bullet Club from him.

#fantasybooking

He didn't take them away from Balor. BC beat Finn's ass and kicked him out. Same way they did with AJ.

Kaladin

Man, I'm tired of this cold. It's time to take it on home now. I'm going for my finisher. If it kicks out, I'm going full on New Jack.

I need Zach to hurry up and hit the 00-10 PPV. I'm trying to help fill the gap but have no clue on what PPV to check out from this time frame other than WM17, WM19 and Summer Slam 2002.

I pay attention and find that, while there's games like Final Fantasy that have proven to fit well into a mobile environment, the majority of games I'm interested in on mobile would simply play better with a controller than a touch screen.

Top Bottom