• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| A Max Landis Production

Japanese wrassle experts Data, Bootaaay, etc.:

Can you tell me about the angle in Japan that inspired the nWo? Or point me to a strobogo write-up or something? >_>

Japanese companies have a history of running invasion angles. NJPW itself ran a Universal Wrestling Federation invasion angle twice, the second time in December 1985. That invasion angle lasted for a couple of years, and then Riki Choshu and the Choshu Army invaded NJPW.

Kaladin

I would so pay $13 / month for that.

WWE issued a survey to former subscribers of the WWEs Network today asking them if they would reconsider subscribing again. One of the more interesting choices on the survey was the option to pay $12.99 a month and get the option of Raw and Smackdown replays 24 hours after they air on the USA Network. Currently, the episodes are added to the Network's VOD 30 days after they air. So, they are at least considering the change.

Zach

Hmmm. I was listening to The Lapsed Fan while walking the dog. It's the Bash at the Beach '96 episode and I thought they said Bischoff got the idea from working with New Japan. So was one of these invasion angles you guys are talking about in the mid-90s?

Hmmm. I was listening to The Lapsed Fan while walking the dog. It's the Bash at the Beach '96 episode and I thought they said Bischoff got the idea from working with New Japan. So was one of these invasion angles you guys are talking about in the mid-90s?

That is the one. The Monday Night Wars documentary mention this also.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

Bischoff got the idea from the UWF vs NJPW angle because it was a white hot angle. WCW had their working relationship with NJPW long before that.
Please see:

Samoa Joe in TNA.

vs

Samoa Joe in NXT.

Even "substandard booking" would be a significant step up from TNA, let alone "adequate/solid".

Samoa Joe's NXT booking was his X Division TNA booking. You can see Joe meandering during his entire face run in NXT.

It's possible they're referencing NJPW and Inoki's feud with WAR and Tenryu, but I think the UWF/NJPW feud is usually cited as the inspiration for the NWO.

Ithil

Bischoff got the idea from the UWF vs NJPW angle because it was a white hot angle. WCW had their working relationship with NJPW long before that.

Samoa Joe's NXT booking was his X Division TNA booking. You can see Joe meandering during his entire face run in NXT.

The face run he spent gradually working off his "five years of not giving a shit because he was in TNA" rust?

It's not just about booking, either, it's about how they're presented. TNA sucks the life out of wrestlers.

Laws00

Let's go Damien Sandow....

and_it_s_gone_by_celeith-d5div3y.jpg

How was he in NXT?

In the few matches I watched of him he was dull as hell to me. His entrance, swagger and announcer handling is what builds him as a bad ass though. To be honest it kind of reminds me of when DoA were a stable and trying to look like bad asses, but just came across as goons.

Kaladin

NXTwitterverse is reporting that

Doctors are looking at Bayley after her loss to Nia Jax, and it appears to be an ACL injury. It is unclear if it is storyline or not.

Top Bottom