• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| A Max Landis Production

tm2ySHu.jpg

I'd watch this 80's sitcom.

This picture was taken in 1992

Meltzer looks like Bruce McCulloch

Mahonay

Banned
You aint wrong.

Roman can do badass though, he did it during heel shield well enough.
He had Dean and Seth to lean on, rarely had to be on the mic, and wasn't shoved down people's throats. He was awesome in that role and got huge pops whenever he got a hot tag. Vince had no idea why people actually liked him. He fucked up his transition to a singles wrestler about as bad as he possibly could have. Roman would have been better off if Vince had not hand picked him as a personal pet project.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
He had Dean and Seth to lean on, rarely had to be on the mic, and wasn't shoved down people's throats. He was awesome in that role and got huge pops whenever he got a hot tag. Vince had no idea why people actually liked him. He fucked up his transition to a singles wrestler about as bad as he possibly could have. Roman would have been better off if Vince had not hand picked him as a personal pet project.

The character he's been playing since ~Roadblock is fine and the promo he cut worked just fine, its just too late for us to buy into that character because we already saw him smirking and making testicle jokes for a year.

Mahonay

Banned
The character he's been playing since ~Roadblock is fine and the promo he cut worked just fine, its just too late for us to buy into that character because we already saw him smirking and making testicle jokes for a year.
Yes. If he had started as the more "normal" character he is now, no longer talking beanstalks and shit like that, he might have saved himself from this tour of nonstop boos.

Just reading that now.

What the fuck is wrong with people >:|
My original understanding was that Falcon wanted to talk wrestling, not spoilers. I surely did not expect him to be as open as he was yesterday based off our previous conversation. Around 5:30 ET yesterday, Falcon reached out to me and told me that he was being threatened on social media – somehow his identity had been compromised.

Falcon chose to engage with this accuser, and this would lead to the accuser sending a screenshot of Falcon’s verification modmail to him – Falcon suggested that our modmail had been compromised, and I recommended that he stop the AMAA and sink into the shadows for a bit.
Totally fucked up. We can't have good things.

Menome

Today I had my CT Scan/X-ray/Blood work results given to me.
As of Today I have been cancer free for three years.

My second daughter will be born sometime this week.

never take shit for granted brothers!

HHH crotch-chop at cancer.gif

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Just reading that now.

What the fuck is wrong with people >:|

I think I'm just too carny for reality becasue I still have a sneaking suspicion that whole thing was WWE intentionally getting some guy to drop hints to a smark crowd to keep them engaged after a tepid WrestleMania that was very clearly not aimed at hardcore fans.

Kind of the same way I felt like the "mystery tweets" that Sami Zayn was horribly injured were probably a work to mess with smarks leading up to an (obviously kayfabe) injury angle with Zayn.

It's no big loss. He spoiled some stuff that would have been great surprises.

not that spoilers matter

None of the spoilers he actually gave were ones that even mattered beyond "X person is going to debut," which doesn't really make a difference on how the show itself would go. He also didn't spoil the Sami injury angle or when Cesaro was actually going to enter the show.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I just started to watch Deadwood last night, makes me want an Al Swearengen type heel.
Just you wait, pal. Dan is the greatest. Wait till you see his fight. Oh man.

NastyBook

Congratulations, fella. Gotta be a good feeling.

Cagey

Banned
Cesaro looking sawft in this main event. That sub-7 body fat level is gone. A shame because that always made his look and physique particularly crazy.

JavyOO7

Roman could still hit a home run off of the curve ball, but he really should demand creative/Vince/whatever that he wants several things changed about his character. Maybe not having to rely on a script should be first on his list. Let him sink or swim out there I guess.

Angry Grimace

Cesaro looking sawft in this main event. That sub-7 body fat level is gone. A shame because that always made his look and physique particularly crazy.

He had a torn rotator cuff, not sure how he was supposed to keep up that crazy level of physique. Hell, Sami Zayn showed up at the Rumble/TakeOver looking pretty sawft and just worked it off in between then and WrestleMania to where he mostly just looks like he did before he got hurt.

Also, I can't be the only one who laughed at Cole telling the audience Bayley wasn't there despite the fact that, you know, the audience can't hear him.

Mahonay

Banned
Hopefully he'll be back to full form in a couple of months.

When Sami came back was pretty flabby but he's starting to look good again.

Here's my story of Wrestlemania weekend.

We drove to Dallas Friday morning. We had two tickets for Takeover and the Kaiju Big Battel midnight show afterwards. So Rose, Age 7, needed to get dropped off at grandma's house. After that we went to the mall that was near where we used to live. It is now Struggle Mall. I'd say almost half the stores were empty. This was a two floor mall and it didn't have a GameStop anymore, that's how Struggle it was. But my wife noticed a sign while we were there that there were going to be WWE Superstars there the next day to cross-promote Susan G. Komen and Wrestlemania.

Well, we had to see who they ended up sending to Struggle Mall. We planned to take Rose there tomorrow and went on to Takeover. I assume you all saw that. We were on the floor, but near the back of the floor seating so we missed the parts that were outside the ring. Even the stage was lower than the ring and kind of obstructed. It was still great. As much a fan of Nakamura as I am, and his entrance was fantastic and assisted by the novelty of it being his debut, Bayley's entrance was just amazing. It is perfect, and so is she. I would say Sami and Nakamura had the better match though. Not because Bayley lost, it was a chemsitry, an intangible thing. All four of those people are just great.

There were many, many people with Nakamura shirts. We were two of them.

So after Takeover we walk across the the street to the Kaiju Big Battel, at a venue called Eddie Deen's Ranch. CZW had a show there with a bell time of 8PM, really good timing there with Takeover at 9PM, guys. Anyway, I guess they ran long trying to give the poor souls who were there instead of Takeover their money's worth I guess. Or maybe they were having a hard time cleaning up all the little pieces of light tube. So Kaiju Big Battel started late. It was a fun show. American Beetle, Uchu Chu, French Toast, Paco Plantain, Unicorn Party, Dusto Bunny, Hell Monkey, Tucor, Silver Potato, Steam-powered Tentacle Boulder, Dr. Cube, and Kung Fu Chicken Noodle were all there.

Also Kota Ibushi.

Kota may have also been Unicorn Party. But anyway, Kota Ibushi proper showed up when they continued a storyline where Kota came to America to fight Dr. Cube but was captured and cloned, with the real Kota remaining a prisoner and the clone sent back to Japan to wrestle and send the fight money back to Dr. Cube. During the main event, which was Silver Potato vs. Tucor I think (it was 3 in the morning by this time and I was struggling), Dr. Cube's minions came out to interfere. One of them was the prisoner Kota. He overcame whatever spell he was under and confronted Dr. Cube and chased him all around through the crowd. Then Kota had a match with Tucor, except now Tucor was a dummy in Tucor's costume and so Kota did his Yoshihiko match and gave himself piledrivers and did top rope powerbombs on the dummy and whatnot. Very fun. He ran right past me during the Dr. Cube chase and my wife was pleased to tell me that I am taller and have more muscles than a Japanese twink. Thank you honey.

So we head back to the hotel and sleep for about four hours then leave to pick up our daughter and see who WWE sent to the Struggle Mall. It was Darren Young, Eden, Lillian Garcia, and Alicia Fox. They were all doing a good job and there was even a small line to meet them. We told Eden that Stardust is one of Rose's favorites and she showed her a silly picture of Stardust and Eden on a rollercoaster at Six Flags. Alicia was great. Angie and I both like her and she made me feel like I did the nicest thing ever for her when I told her I love her backbreaker.

We had our first Axxess session that night. We saw Bob Backlund outside, someone posted a picture of that earlier. He really was just hanging around in a t-shirt and sweatpants. We left him alone because we were late and he already had quite a few people around him. Bayley and Nakamura and Neville and Fandango and Apollo and many others were going to be at this session. Rose likes Neville a lot, but not because he's ripped and acrobatic and stuff, but because he has those fog blasters in his entrance. And he was also in an UpUpDownDown video she likes, the one where they're playing Gang Beasts. So we wanted to get to see him, and obviously Bayley and Nak. But it turns out that Axxess tickets are way oversold and you really can't meet anybody. Maybe one person, if you're willing to stand in line the whole session and meet whoever it is comes to the table after the person you got in line for finishes their two hours. We're not willing.

As HHH would say, but here's the thing: Bayley is the most perfect human being on earth. She saw Rose-- wearing all her Bayley stuff including the hair bow she gave to her at the Austin show and the arm ribbons Angie sewed for her-- outside the barricade around her line, and then she got up from her table to say hi to her and take a picture. She remembered seeing her in Austin (Rose is Bayley's middle name). I was learning how much of a waste of time the meet and greets are watching other people get Nakamura's autograph, which is a good thing, because I probably would have broke down if I was there to have seen it. I'm getting all choked up now just writing about it.

We got this pic

because we realized we probably did not have a shot at meeting the New Day Sunday morning, and we really didn't because we'd find out the next day that for some reason they only were doing one hour of meet and greet instead of two.

There was one other bit of excitement when Bayley's music started playing over at the NXT ring but she was just briefly interrupting Finn Balor's Q&A. But I left for the hotel kind of bummed about going to the Sunday morning Axxess both because I was reminded that D. Brine was not going to be there like originally planned and because we had pretty much done all the little non-meet and greet things they had already leaving us with only a dire meet and greet situation or hanging around the NXT ring for the whole time.

Turns out this was a good thing. We got ourselves into the bleachers around the NXT ring as the Vaudevillains were having their entrance. That was good because there was not a lot of close-up standing space, plus you get to sit. They had a match with some nobodies, Austin Aries had a match with a German nobody. Hacksaw Jim Duggan did a Q&A and I got to ask him who the toughest tough guy in the WWE is right now and he said he knew he was going to get heat for it but he had to make him look strong he really thought it was Roman Reigns and he laughed at how much he got booed. Hacksaw is actually really good at Q&A, he's just a really good extemporaneous speaker it turns out.

So then the Blake half of the Val Venis twins comes out and his music is super loud so Rose ducks and covers her ears because even though she really, really likes dubstep, his music is too loud and, get this, too glitchy. Everyone's a critic. So then we see who he's going to wrestle. The entrance starts playing and it just doesn't register with me for literally the first five or six seconds that it's Shinsuke, because a) I've only seen his entrance one time, even if it was less than forty hours ago, and b) who is going to have a match with Blake at Axxess? Absolutely not Shinsuke Nakamura, that is definitely outside the possibility space, and c) his entrance does not show his name right away.

But it was Shinsuke Nakamura, wrestling at Axxess.

I never looked to see how many people showed up because my eyes were locked on the ring the whole time, but I imagine there was a stampede. It was a fun match. At one point Blake was certain that he was going to win by making Shinsuke tap out to the headlock he had him in.

Then we had some lunch and headed to Wrestlemania with Angie's grandpa. We were in the highest row in the stadium, but on the 50-yard line so it could have been worse. Couldn't hear anything except the bumps, which you could sort of hear. I saw that there were a lot of chants during the main event. The only one I could hear was the Ole chant. The other ones were concentrated too close to the floor I guess. Towards the end of the show Rose started telling me to stop booing because she likes all the wrestlers now. Then when Cena showed up she started booing and holding a thumbs down over her head. He is never going to rise above getting her in trouble in Kindergarten. If you don't know the story, a little boy was giving a presentation on him and she interrupted him and helpfully informed him that adults don't like John Cena because John Cena sucks, and the teacher did not like that at all. LOL. That's about the only perspective I have on the show that you can't get from watching the show.

We had a really good time and I'm thinking about going again next year even though it's a much longer trip.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
He had a torn rotator cuff, not sure how he was supposed to keep up that crazy level of physique.

Hell, Sami Zayn showed up at the Rumble/TakeOver looking pretty sawft and just worked it off in between then an WrestleMania.
It's all diet.

Mahonay

Banned
Roman could still hit a home run off of the curve ball, but he really should demand creative/Vince/whatever that he wants several things changed about his character. Maybe not having to rely on a script should be first on his list. Let him sink or swim out there I guess.
He's already said in interviews he pretty much just tries to be a good employee. Show up on time and do what is told of him.

Angry Grimace

It's all diet.

If I was rehabbing from a torn rotator cuff you'd best believe I'd be making sure I was taking in a lot of food.

He's already said in interviews he pretty much just tries to be a good employee. Show up on time and do what is told of him.

Ironically, the basis of a great asshole character.

That's a touching Bayley story, Matthew, but I don't know if it makes up for her checking her phone during the Dusty statue ceremony. Truly vile.

Showed my Dad NXT take over. His first NXT show since NXT became the thing it is now.

Liked the Tag match but thought everyone was a bit generic.

He actually knew who Austin Aries was.

Showed my dad NXT Dallas. Some notes.

He didnt love Sami v Nakamura. Didnt hate it but he just wasnt blown away. Likes the cut of Nakamura though.

He went for a cup of tea and a piss during the womens match. We still got a long road friends.

Blood is the title match actually made him more interested for whatever reason even with the Doctors coming in every 5 minutes.

AbjRpxj.jpg

In a related note my brother just had his 1 year check up a few weeks ago and still all good. I remember you always asked how the guy was back when he was going though all that.

You are a good man.

Top Bottom