• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| A Max Landis Production

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Shit, I'm a straight male but I own a Wonder Woman shirt that I wore to a gym where you're being judged by lots of college students. I never got any flack because of who I am. When those Boots 2 Asses shirts came out, I wore them to the gym and people loved them(probably because you come to the gym to kick your workouts ass).

You have to be comfortable in your own skin and just stop caring. That's part of growing up, I guess.

After being picked on for being fat most of my life, when you cut down 130lbs you know how it feels to just be comfortable and not care.

As someone who is also working on losing weight - serious props for cutting down 130 lbs. :) Congrats - and glad you are comfortable in your own skin (something I'm still working on).

Aiii

So not worth it
leakee-leakeelg4-1336654114.jpg

klonere

Banned
Wyatt can't be worse that he is right now. A loss to Lesnar has no meaning.

Nothing has any meaning. It took me a while to figure it out but absolutely nothing matters on the main roster.

I was listening to Shake Them Ropes this morning on the way to work (yet another wrasslin' podcast) and one of the hosts made an excellent point. Mania booking was purely in service of the casual fan, who believe it or not, made up a big proportion of the audience at the event and more casuals pay attention to Mania than any other show in the year.

Let's look at it:
Kid-friendly small guy wins inoffensive opener
Women's multiman just like ye olde days
Dudley's pop up as the first instance of "hey I knew those guys!"

Ladder match for the smarks, former smark hero wins to give them something to feel good about. Tons of stunts for the casuals.
Chris Jericho, that guy you knew from before, wins!
An entire match dedicated to a nostalgia spot.
Brock Lesnar, a legitimate mainstream star, wins!
Big, new refresh of the women's division with the daughter of that guy you know as champion.
A terrible, AE brawling big spot nostalgia match featuring two guys you used to know.
A new big guy beats that guy you knew, better watch out for him next year!
The Rock and John Cena OMG!
The new star beats that guy I know. Wow this new star must be really good/cool. Is there something wrong with my TV, the crowd is making a weird noise.

And then the next night nearly everything was forgotten about, wins irrelevant, losses washed away all that good stuff.

Nothing
Matters.

Aiii

So not worth it
Have we celebrated Brie Bella's retirement yet? I feel we are just glossing over this, but it kinda feels like Christmas come early.

JavyOO7

There's honestly VERY few. I have a Bruce Tharpe-des shirt, a Scott Norton flexing in front of Mt Fuji, a Bad Luck Fale shirt (shut up Data) and an Ascension shirt. Safest one is either Norton or Tharpe.

I fucking love you so much for buying an Ascension shirt. I should buy one too...

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Brehs

If you aren't concerned about what you look like, and you don't take any time or care about how you look, you look like someone who doesn't care about what they look like

It's a bad look

shaowebb

Casuals shamsuals. Smarks know the better product for the long term.

F80vSm8.gif

The future should involve wrestlers like these two men more. Build a product up not worship its past. If you spend all your time looking to the past you'll never insure the future will still be there.

Aiii

So not worth it
Brehs

If you aren't concerned about what you look like, and you don't take any time or care about how you look, you look like someone who doesn't care about what they look like

It's a bad look

But I wouldn't care that it was a bad look, so what's your point?

If a wrestling t-shirt can be mistaken for a metal band t-shirt, then it's totally #Safe imo. Incidentally, I found that this Nakamura shirt is #TooSafe;

mIvx2M6.jpg

Girl said she loved it and asked me where I got it, had to explain it was a wrestling t-shirt.

Aiii

So not worth it
People tend to take you more seriously if you don't look like a schmuck.

Yeah, nobody took Steve Jobs seriously, like ever.

Dress okay, but don't waste an hour every day dressing yourself, come on now. Be reasonable.

And most people won't even recognise your wrestling shirt, so why even worry?

Mahonay

Banned
Yeah, nobody took Steve Jobs seriously, like ever.

Dress okay, but don't waste an hour every day dressing yourself, come on now. Be reasonable.

And most people won't even recognise your wrestling shirt, so why even worry?
When you have that much power and money those rules don't apply to you anymore. Jobs looked looked a douchebag though and was one.

It's not really about wasting an hour getting ready. Just keep up a nice haircut, buy some nice button ups and well fitting jeans, whatever it is. I spent about 15 minutes to get ready.

My whole thing is that most wrestling shirts are just ugly in general. My NJPW shirt is the only thing I wear whenever. My Rollins shirt only gets put on for wrestling occasions. My Sandman shirt is my "I'm going to go get fucked up at my friends apartment" shirt.

Anth0ny

Says the guy that probably owns a Spider-Man shirt and other "fake" characters.

C'maaaaaaan.

"Real" sports fans and fake sports fans are equally terrible.

I own a spider-man shirt but never wear it out of my house lol

wrestling, star wars, video games, comic books... all a no go on t shirts.

Menome

I'll be getting an Asuka shirt at some point, they're #Safe as they just make you look like a massive weeaboo instead.

As someone who is also working on losing weight - serious props for cutting down 130 lbs. :) Congrats - and glad you are comfortable in your own skin (something I'm still working on).
Thank you, I've gained about 40 of it back though so I have to get back to it once I'm recovered from my surgery. Your worst enemy will become yourself though. That was my biggest drawback because I pushed and judged my own self too much.

But once you get comfortable you'll know you're the greatest.

Mahonay

Banned
You guys are disapointing me by not posting that Hogan pic.

I go to work in a hoodie, wearing a baseball cap, and over-ear headphones.

And they keep giving me more money.

I must exude coolness.
Love having jobs where I can wear whatever I want. I'm right with you there.

Are you into networking or anything of the sort on the side? Being well dressed has always helped me there personally.

The best look. Ultimate Prickimus.

Kornflayx

Finally saw Raw. I have to say, if Roman keeps being the smug champion he was on Raw, I'm firmly on the Roman bandwagon

Edit: Also, the fans finally saw what they really are when they chanted "We are idiots". Yes, you really are.

wFaDJfn.gif

kiguel182

Casuals shamsuals. Smarks know the better product for the long term.

F80vSm8.gif

The future should involve wrestlers like these two men more. Build a product up not worship its past. If you spend all your time looking to the past you'll never insure the future will still be there.

Not looking at the past is all I advocate.

But people will pop for Stone Cold or The Rock so the past won't go away. It's a shame.

Aiii

So not worth it
Love having jobs where I can wear whatever I want. I'm right with you there.

Are you into networking or anything of the sort on the side? Being well dressed has always helped me there personally.

Nah, I've been at my job for 9 years. I'm not going anywhere. I get paid so much there, there's no way to go but down anyways and it's only a half hour walk from home.

Really, fuck job hunting and networking anyways. I don't really do the whole "career" thing. I'm good at what I do and I'll keep doing it as long as I get paid well enough to do it.

When I was eleven, my aunt bought me a WWF shirt for Christmas.

It had the Boss Man on it.

Never bought a wrasslin' shirt ever again.

Mahonay

Banned
Nah, I've been at my job for 9 years. I'm not going anywhere. I get paid so much there, there's no way to go but down anyways and it's only a half hour walk from home.

Really, fuck job hunting and networking anyways. I don't really do the whole "career" thing. I'm good at what I do and I'll keep doing it as long as I get paid well enough to do it.
Fair enough man. I did that for a while at my last job of 8 years and it was nice just having that regularity at first, but eventually I just got so fucking restless to the point I got incredibly depressed. Also I was earning a pretty middling wage so that didn't help.

I'm in a similar boat. I've been in my current job since 2008, although I do have odd days where I want to leave (because who doesn't) it pays well, I get treated well and i'm a fucking boss at it at this point. And screw job hunting, one of the most soul crushing things one can do to themselves.

After watching Takeover Dallas and the Zayn/Nakamura match i can confirm this guy will bomb on the main roster. You know that gif yall keep posting of him in his entrance waving his arms around? he looks like a guy with no rhythm...he's just waving his arms around with no rhythm at all but you guys think he's this super charismatic person. There's no rhythm to his movements and mannerisms...it's so bad, he's waving them around clunky and aimlessly. This isnt me trying to be contrarian or gimmick post...i can't stand gimmick posting. This is someone talking from the perspective of first time seeing Shinsuke Nakamura in action and those are my reactions.

Smug Roman is way better than what we were getting before Mania.

Hopefully he turns heel (which ain't going to happen, AJ is blatantly going to turn so he can be fed Bullet Club until Summerslam) and gets some more moves, because his floaty offence and flying cuddle is the worst.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Thank you, I've gained about 40 of it back though so I have to get back to it once I'm recovered from my surgery. Your worst enemy will become yourself though. That was my biggest drawback because I pushed and judged my own self too much.

But once you get comfortable you'll know you're the greatest.

Thank you; I will keep that in mind, The plan is that the missus is moving here in June, and she's a fitness freak (she thinks marathons are too short level of fitness freak) - and so I'll have a lot of motivation. :D She will help keep me grounded and not let me be the enemy of myself, I am hoping. :)

Recover from surgery, and keep whooping ass, cuz Stone Cold said so. :-D

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
The only wrestling shirt I have is a Finn Balor one. I got it at NXT Takeover London. The only WWE event I've ever gone to. I just wanted to get something while I was there, you know? I wanted the Bayley shirt but they sold out of my size. And for some reason the people around me were mocking me for asking for the Bayley shirt...

RE: Enzo and Cass

Loved these guys. I am concerned about one thing...a couple lines of Enzo's promo were disjointed. What i mean is it sounded very memorized but didn't flow naturally, so despite not messing up any of the words..the cadence was off. Remember when Ziggler would do those Youtube promos for Network shows and how he would rip off lines after line and despite not botching they didn't sound natural...like he was just spitting out memorized lines.

Basically I just need to see more of them and I hope Enzo has improv ability b/c i LOVE his character...I'm italian btw

Your entire personality hinges on rhythm?
Typo with "my" instead of "me" in the "my personally" part of that sentence
But you knew that
dork

Thank you; I will keep that in mind, The plan is that the missus is moving here in June, and she's a fitness freak (she thinks marathons are too short level of fitness freak) - and so I'll have a lot of motivation. :D She will help keep me grounded and not let me be the enemy of myself, I am hoping. :)

Recover from surgery, and keep whooping ass, cuz Stone Cold said so. :-D
Having a partner who is motivating will make it even better. You've got this, that's all you need to say.

And thanks, it's going good so far.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Having a partner who is motivating will make it even better. You've got this, that's all you need to say.

And thanks, it's going good so far.

Yeah - last time I visited her, she dragged me up at 2 AM my time (went from west to east coast) and made me go to the gym. Dropping our puppy on my face is an effective way to wake me up, jet lag be damned, lol.

Keep grinding. :)

Anth0ny

After watching Takeover Dallas and the Zayn/Nakamura match i can confirm this guy will bomb on the main roster. You know that gif yall keep posting of him in his entrance waving his arms around? he looks like a guy with no rhythm...he's just waving his arms around with no rhythm at all but you guys think he's this super charismatic person. There's no rhythm to his movements and mannerisms...it's so bad, he's waving them around clunky and aimlessly. This isnt me trying to be contrarian or gimmick post...i can't stand gimmick posting. This is someone talking from the perspective of first time seeing Shinsuke Nakamura in action and those are my reactions.

he can barely speak english. of course he doesn't stand a chance on the main roster.

enzo and cass are gonna DIE next week when the crowd have no idea what the fuck their spiel is in the ring. hopefully they get over as time goes on, but I don't think it's going to be easy.

Mahonay

Banned
The richest people I know collect coupons to eat at fast food and buy their clothes at the salvation army. One guy thought he would go broke buying me a soda for our meeting. He's worth $32 mil.

Not only is it NOT a bad look, said perception is highly irrelevant. I wear a t shirt and shorts to the office every day. My value proposition is still strong enough to get 180 people to work for our firm. What you look like means dick to your bottom line.
You can earn money and run shit well regardless of how you dress. That's not being questioned. Jobs was already shown as a clear example of this.

For me personally I just feel more confident and it makes it easier for me to start on a good first step out when I meet someone new. I like going out and meeting tons of different people who do different things as much as I can. Being in NYC obviously makes that a bigger thing. It opens up all sorts of events/projects/opportunities I would otherwise have no idea about if I wasn't on top of my network game. Being good about that is a huge part of making Brooklyn worth the money I'm paying to live here.

I guess I would say if I lived in the middle of the country in a smaller city or the suburbs I would not be nearly as incentivized to pay attention to how I look.

Gurrry

I just started listening to the Wrestling Inc podcast a few weeks ago, and I listened to their show on 4/4 about the RAW after mania.. and wow.. Russo is a fucking joke. I think im done with this podcast for good.

He got all heated about how crowds are disrespectful and how he cant watch NXT because the crowds are always putting themselves over.

First of all, the crowd getting into the chants and the show is not disrespectful. Those people paid to be there, they can make as little or as much noise as they want.

It wasnt disrespectful to "hijack" Charlottes segment which is what Russo seems to have the most problem with. They shouldnt have put a heel out there cutting a baby face promo to a hot crowd.

Everyone in that building was expecting Bayley to come out. Thats why those chants started. It wasnt to "hijack" raw or be disrespectful, it was the anticipation that she might finally show up.

If Charlotte cant handle crowds like that, then dont put her out there.

If you have a pitcher in baseball and he chokes at the mound because the home crowd is booing, whose fucking fault is that? The crowds? No, its the performer.

Russo is a fucking joke. And the host of this show is a god damn shill who has to remind us that he is sponsored by DDP yoga every 2 fucking seconds.

Unsubbed.

Top Bottom