• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin |OT| D.Brine collects his P45

holy shit at the 10 minute mark, even the ref is mindblown in the background. As someone who hasn't watch Chikara, is this match representative of the overall quality of the shows? Because this match is f'n awesome.

I'd suggest checking out some of the other podcast-a-go-go's on their youtube channel - there's a good mix of styles in Chikara, lots of high-flying, fast-paced tag team wrestling, crazy characters, comedy and some great technical wrestling, but not every match is going to be as crazy as that one.

bart jr

Neo Member
holy shit at the 10 minute mark, even the ref is mindblown in the background. As someone who hasn't watch Chikara, is this match representative of the overall quality of the shows? Because this match is f'n awesome.

I'll try to answer this the best I can as a person who has only been watching the product for about a year or so. Perhaps someone else can chime in as well.

Overall, I would say no. That isn't a knock on the product, though. This is one of, if not, their biggest show of the year so they pull out all the stops when bringing in talent and also hold the event in a bigger venue than their other shows.

They do have some great wrestlers that compete on a regular basis but not all of their roster can go like that. I feel like their M.O isn't necessarily putting on matches like that all the time(although guys on the roster can, and do). The crowd isn't always as hot as in that video, and most of the events I have seen are ran in gyms. I feel like they focus on providing a family friendly experience, and an alternative to what we see in WWE or TNA. They have some awesome characters, great comedy matches, and ONGOING STORYLINES, and these are some of the reasons that I watch Chikara. It's refreshing for me to see something different than what I'm fed week after week.

EDIT: View post above, Bootaaay said it better haha.

krae_man

AqzvDQ2CIAAccya.jpg

Who are these lovely ladies my good man?

I'd suggest checking out some of the other podcast-a-go-go's on their youtube channel - there's a good mix of styles in Chikara, lots of high-flying, fast-paced tag team wrestling, crazy characters, comedy and some great technical wrestling, but not every match is going to be as crazy as that one.

I'll try to answer this the best I can as a person who has only been watching the product for about a year or so. Perhaps someone else can chime in as well.

Overall, I would say no. That isn't a knock on the product, though. This is one of, if not, their biggest show of the year so they pull out all the stops when bringing in talent and also hold the event in a bigger venue than their other shows.

They do have some great wrestlers that compete on a regular basis but not all of their roster can go like that. I feel like their M.O isn't necessarily putting on matches like that all the time(although guys on the roster can, and do). The crowd isn't always as hot as in that video, and most of the events I have seen are ran in gyms. I feel like they focus on providing a family friendly experience, and an alternative to what we see in WWE or TNA. They have some awesome characters, great comedy matches, and ONGOING STORYLINES, and these are some of the reasons that I watch Chikara. It's refreshing for me to see something different than what I'm fed week after week.

EDIT: View post above, Bootaaay said it better haha.

That sounds pretty great, even if it's not always like the above match (and it seems like that would be really difficult to pull off consistently anyways). I'll check out the other matches on youtube as well. It seems really interesting after seeing the name around here so much but never checking it out.

bart jr

Neo Member
That sounds pretty great, even if it's not always like the above match (and it seems like that would be really difficult to pull off consistently anyways). I'll check out the other matches on youtube as well. It seems really interesting after seeing the name around here so much but never checking it out.

Awesome. Here's the link to their Youtube page http://www.youtube.com/user/CHIKARAoffice

Hey Bootaaay, could I get a link to your old youtube accounts that haven't been shut down? This is the start of my 'weekend' and I have time to kill :)

Lol, Mixed Martial Archie is amazing, I think he might be my favourite of his characters yet - "I like to do my talking with my feet...because I kick. I kick really hard", "squared octagon", "I'm training in jui-jitsu even though I'm not Jewish".

Also, Stone Cold's twitter is bizarre;

"15,000 feet in the air..left engine doesn't sound good. Climbed out, made a few adjustments, all good. Saving lives puts a smile on my face."

"20 minutes out of LAX....just performed Heimlich maneuver on choking victim...delivered two babies, and married a young couple from Spain."

"5 minutes out from LAX. Performing a quadruple bypass on elderly gentleman. Kinda difficult with only a corkscrew and a plastic knife."

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Stone Cold's Twitter is AMAZING. Of all the people in the wrestling world, he's the one I would have least expected to have such a bizarre sense of humor.

Lol, Mixed Martial Archie is amazing, I think he might be my favourite of his characters yet - "I like to do my talking with my feet...because I kick. I kick really hard", "squared octagon", "I'm training in jui-jitsu even though I'm not Jewish".

Totally amazing. "Squared octagon" is a special kind of brilliant.

That King of Trios hype video has some interesting tags on it:
wwe tna impact wcw ecw nwa roh ring honor pwg czw dgusa Dragon Gate New All Japan Michinoku Osaka Diamond Ring BJW SMASH JWP J'd ARSION SHIMMER Oz Academy daijo osaka union wave sendai girls ice ribbon CMLL AAA

Can't wait to see who's on team WWE

sup gang. sorry if you thought i'd crawled back off to gaming side, i haven't. i enjoyed RAW this week, tried to watch some Impact (still can't do it) and i'm looking forwards to Smackdown this week, which sees Antonio called up from FCW just as i hoped!

i mean, he's not wrestling for a least a week and that's, well, whatever, but i think he's the right call up, and i think Smackdown is the right show for him, as that's had more of an international flavour than RAW for years, and that's one of the reasons i generally prefer it to RAW.

no one has killed me yet for wearing my YES YES YES t-shirt outside the house. also, i haven't yet told my wife that i fully plan on ordering extreme rules, but i think she'll be okay with it. she likes Brock from UFC.

also, i'm planning on checking out Chikara, which I think the wife willl love. she's seen some AAA which she thought was a blast, and we caught an Osaka Pro show when we were in Japan that she also loved... so i think it's her kind of thing.

also, i'm planning on checking out Chikara, which I think the wife willl love. she's seen some AAA which she thought was a blast, and we caught an Osaka Pro show when we were in Japan that she also loved... so i think it's her kind of thing.

If she likes good athletic in ring action, awesome characters, and long arcing storylines that won't insult her intelligence then she will be a fan.

If she likes good athletic in ring action, awesome characters, and long arcing storylines that won't insult her intelligence then she will be a fan.

what's the best way of checking some out, and is there a recommended recent event to start out with? all legal please obviously.

Tickets go on sale on Friday for Slammiversary in Dallas. Anyone going? Should I spend $150 on a front row ticket? There's no mention if that price includes Fan Interaction the day before.

I'm debating going. I detest the TNA product but I still respect some of the workers. Plus its too tempting with me in Dallas.

Couple of ROH matches signed;

. TJ Perkins vs Mike Mondo - April 29th, Dayton, OH
. Davey Richards & Kyle O'Reilly vs Kevin Steen & Jimmy Jacobs - May 19th, Richmond, VA

Also, some hype for 'Best in the World 2012';

- “Best In The World 2012” is approaching in a little over 2 months and ROH officials are planning a huge event for New York City on Sunday, June 24th. Final negotiations are taking place to sign some big names for the event and fans will not be disappointed. Last year’s “Best In The World” broke records and this year is expected to go beyond. Get tickets now for the biggest ROH event of the summer!

Really hope this means they're brining in outside talent and the 'big names' aren't just ROH main eventers.

plagiarize said:
what's the best way of checking some out, and is there a recommended recent event to start out with? all legal please obviously.

Check out the Podcast-a-Go-Go's on their youtube channel;

http://www.youtube.com/user/CHIKARAoffice

Each one has either a full match from CHIKARA's past or clips of recent matches.

If you're interested in watching a full event you can either buy CHIKARA DVDs for $15 from http://www.smartmarkvideo.com/ or buy CHIKARA events to stream forever for $10 over at http://www.smvod.com - I'd recommend starting with either;

The Thirteenth Hat - 01/28/12 - the first CHIKARA show of season 11
High Noon - 11/13/11 - High Noon, CHIKARA's first ever PPV and one of the best shows from any company in 2011.

That King of Trios hype video has some interesting tags on it:

Can't wait to see who's on team WWE

Lol, they listed pretty much everyone they could - still, I'd love to see Michinoku Pro return, and an All Japan team would be cool; Suwama, Kaz Hayasi & Hiroshi Yamato would be my choice. Would be amazing if they could convince Muta to come over.

If you're looking to purchase then I'd say you can't go wrong with the past two year's King of Trios, tons of diversity in terms of match styles (some comedic, some high flying, some Japanese, some with a mix of everything) with all of the trios matches being fought under lucha libre rules.

If you just want to get your toes wet for free then check out their Podcast-a-go-go on youtube, they post a new match about once a week.

I'm debating going. I detest the TNA product but I still respect some of the workers. Plus its too tempting with me in Dallas.

Yeah, I'm hoping it will be a good show and maybe things will be better by then. Atleast I'll get to see Flair live, plus Dixie said there are going to be some surprises so maybe they'll bring back people from throughout TNA's history. $150 is kind of steep though. Wondering if I buy a cheaper ticket if they'll let me move up to a better seat after they don't sell many.

New Osaka Pro show, featuring a fantastic main event as new Osaka Pro champion Daisuke Harada defends his title against Osaka veteran Black Buffalo, who is looking to claim his first Osaka singles title after 13 years! Also, SEKIGUN of Kotoge, Spider Jr & Mihara take on JOKER of Kuuga, Hayata & Tadasuke in six-man tag action.

Osaka Pro, “Saturday Night Story”, 3/25/12
Matsushita IMP Hall
564 Fans

http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/x213i2

01. Naoki Setoguchi vs Yun Gung Chul

02. BillyKen Kid, Tsubasa & Tigers Mask vs Hideyoshi, Masamune & Orochi

03. Ebessan, Kuishinbo Kamen & Kanjyuro Matsuyama vs Miracleman, Takoyakida & Ninja Ranmaru

04. SEKIGUN (Atsushi Kotoge, Ultimate Spider Jr. & Kazuaki Mihara) vs JOKER (Kuuga, HAYATA & Tadasuke)

OSAKA PRO-WRESTLING TITLE MATCH;

05. Daisuke Harada (c) vs Black Buffalo

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
This is a completely new network.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2012/4/prweb9407151.htm

Basically it'll be aired via network affiliates, much like MyNetwork TV. So essentially, nobody will get it.

Yo..sub-channels got some weird shit

Here we got MyNetworkTV which shows ROH and Monk, a channel that plays country music videos 24/7, 2 different channels that show a bunch of 60s and 70s programs, a 24/7 music video channel that puts videos from every decade in a shuffle mode, a channel called "Bounce" that plays shitty plays and soul train. TNN would be an actual upgrade.

You can stream the last two seasons atwww.smvod.com/. I would suggest starting with last years season finale High Noon. They crowned the first Grand Champion at the show and it sets up this season for you so you can jump right in.

Prepare to become a devoted follower of Ultra Mantis Black.

bart jr

Neo Member
They changed their name to 'Wrestling Retribution Project' and posted a teaser trailer back in February;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=7a4JPw4hX3U

No news since though.

I recall the WRP owner saying on twitter recently that he started filming one or two other projects, one of which will be a youtube exclusive.

Edit: Beaten by Bill. Jeff Katz did say that these new shows will take place in the same 'universe' as WRP, though.

I recall the WRP owner saying on twitter recently that he started filming one or two other projects, one of which will be a youtube exclusive.

Edit: Beaten by Bill. Jeff Katz did say that these new shows will take place in the same 'universe' as WRP, though.

The whole project is sounding more and more awesome, I'm really looking forward to it.

Kaladin

Even though WRP was filmed months ago, it will be like watching it live since the spoilers are far out of mind and I don't recall seeing too many detailed spoiler reports anyway.

rvd2kewl

PWInsider's attempt to get page views with the headline.

PWINSIDER EXCLUSIVE: CONTRACT FOR MAJOR WWE NAME SET TO EXPIRE
by Mike Johnson @ 2:32 PM on 4/19/2012

According to several different WWE sources, WWE Hall of Famer Edge's contract with the company is set to expire on 5/1, leaving him a free agent to go anywhere he would like.

While obviously Edge's in-ring career is over, the news is still pretty surprising considering he was the centerpiece of their 2012 Hall of Fame ceremony just last month and since the company has kept other retired names, like Shawn Michaels, under contract. One would have to think that any role Michaels could fill on television or in promotional media, Edge could also fill at the same level, especially in his home country of Canada, where he was the top native star of the modern era. They could also plug him into additional WWE Studios projects as well.

Edge has been under contract to WWE since 1997, so there is a lot of history that would be walking away with him when the contract ends. It should be interesting to see what happens with Edge, currently set for another season of SyFy's series Haven, should he leave WWE, especially since he has a close friendship with TNA's Hulk Hogan and obviously, TNA would love to have another marquee name as part of their product.

The Wrestlemania 28 DVD, which features Edge's Hall of Fame ceremony induction, is slated to be released on 5/8, a week after his contract expires. Edge's WWE Studios film "Bending the Rules" was recently released on DVD.

Over the course of his WWE run, Edge broke records with seven WWE title wins, four World title wins, as well as 14 Tag Title wins, The Intercontinental championship, The U.S. title, a King of the Ring win, a Royal Rumble win and was the first man to win Money in the Bank (not to mention cash it in). As I wrote, should the two sides part ways, a big part of the company's history over the last decade-plus leaves with Edge.

Everyone's known about this for a year. If Edge wants a new deal, he'll get it. He won't work for any wrestling company other than WWE. Probably just wants to be clear of any obligations for the first time in a while.

Kaladin

Edge is far from what I would consider a major WWE name these days anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if he finished up his current obligations and left the company for a while.

Aiii

So not worth it
Sjees, that's a terrible news article. Old news, WWE is giving Edge a Legends contract. He'll continue to do some acting, appear on some shows and that's it. What, do they expect him to go play Impact GM for TNA?

Guy's a multi world champ and WWE hall of famer, WWE treats those guys well, always has. That is, as long as the talent wants that treatment and doesn't want to be in an active weekly role.

Top Bottom