• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin |OT| D.Brine collects his P45

RBH

From the latest issue of the Observer:

WWE EVENTS TOPPING ONE MILLION BUYS WORLDWIDE

1. 1.3m (estimate) - 4/1/12 - WrestleMania 28 (Rock vs. Cena)

2. 1.25m - 4/1/07 - WrestleMania 23 (Lashley w/Trump vs. Umaga w/Vince)

3. 1.12m - 4/3/11 - WrestleMania 27 (Cena vs. Miz/Rock as main draw)

4. 1.09m - 4/3/05 - WrestleMania 21 (HHH vs. Batista)

5. 1.04m - 4/1/01 - WrestleMania 17 (Rock vs. Austin)

5. 1.04m - 3/30/08 - WrestleMania 24 (Mayweather vs. Show)

7. 1.02m - 3/14/04 - WrestleMania 20 (HHH vs. Benoit vs. Michaels/Rock & Foley vs. Evolution)

In the segment-by-segment, the show started unusually low (2.90) for the Punk vs. Henry title match. The match and Chris Jericho post show interview gained 308,000 viewers. Santino Marella vs. David Otunga and the Brock Lesnar interview gained 117,000 viewers. Kane vs. Zack Ryder lost 306,000 viewers. The John Cena in/ring with John Laurinaitis gained 400,000 viewers to a 3.26 quarter. This is what’s so crazy, with all the Daniel Bryan stuff and how over he was on TV, his match with Kofi Kingston lost 603,000 viewers to a 2.84 quarter. Brodus Clay vs. Dolph Ziggler gained 298,000 viewers. Great Khali & Big Show vs. Primo & Epico gained 205,000 viewers. And the John Cena vs. Lord Tensai main event gained 319,000 viewers, which is a poor overrun gain, but nobody cared about Tensai, to a 3.42.

Unlike the usual fairly steady ratings pattern, this show had major ups and downs, including an 0.83 first quarter with Eric and Garett Bischoff setting up their Lethal Lockdown teams. For whatever reason, a ton of people tuned in late. Mr. Anderson vs. Gunner and the Machine Guns interview/angle with Samoa Joe & Magnus and Mexican America gained 186,000 viewers. Austin Aries vs. Christopher Daniels lost 86,000 viewers. The Jeff Hardy interview lost 14,000 viewers. The Eric Young wedding gained 286,000 viewers, so they did spike for the wedding itself up to a 1.11. Bully Ray vs. A.J. Styles gained 43,000 viewers to a 1.14 rating which was the peak of the show. Then Madison Rayne & Gail Kim vs. Velvet Sky & Mickie James lost 243,000 viewers. The final segment of the show with Bobby Roode and James Storm going face-to-face gained 43,000 viewers to a 1.00.

In the segment-by-segment, the show started unusually low (2.90) for the Punk vs. Henry title match. The match and Chris Jericho post show interview gained 308,000 viewers. Santino Marella vs. David Otunga and the Brock Lesnar interview gained 117,000 viewers. Kane vs. Zack Ryder lost 306,000 viewers. The John Cena in/ring with John Laurinaitis gained 400,000 viewers to a 3.26 quarter. This is what’s so crazy, with all the Daniel Bryan stuff and how over he was on TV, his match with Kofi Kingston lost 603,000 viewers to a 2.84 quarter. Brodus Clay vs. Dolph Ziggler gained 298,000 viewers. Great Khali & Big Show vs. Primo & Epico gained 205,000 viewers. And the John Cena vs. Lord Tensai main event gained 319,000 viewers, which is a poor overrun gain, but nobody cared about Tensai, to a 3.42.

what is this I don't even

I gotta wonder where this Joseph Park thing is heading? It's been going on a couple of months now. Atleast it's more entertaining than Abyss.

It's because, at its core level, Kane is a great gimmick. When you just have a great gimmick, you can survive stuff like that.

Agreed. Same thing with the Undertaker with his years of terrible in-ring work, promos, stories, and a thousand and one Kane/Taker feuds. That dong hits, he comes out with that look, it doesn't matter. Permanently over.

Speaking of which, has Kane EVER won a feud against the Undertaker?

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Agreed. Same thing with the Undertaker with his years of terrible in-ring work, promos, stories, and a thousand and one Kane/Taker feuds. That dong hits, he comes out with that look, it doesn't matter. Permanently over.

Speaking of which, has Kane EVER won a feud against the Undertaker?
Yes, 2010. He beat him 3 straight times. No one has done that to Taker. I'm still amazed that Kane came out on top in that feud.

ij00CaeDo80Ov.gif

ThankYouDreamThankYouDreamThankYouDreamThankYouDreamThankYouDreamThankYouDreamThankYouDreamThankYouDreamThankYouDreamThankYouDreamThankYouDreamThankYouDreamThankYouDreamThankYouDreamThankYouDreamThankYouDreamThankYouDreamThankYouDreamThankYouDreamThankYouDreamThankYouDreamThankYouDreamThankYouDreamThankYouDreamThankYouDreamThankYouDreamThankYouDreamThankYouDreamThankYouDreamThankYouDreamThankYouDreamThankYouDreamThankYouDreamThankYouDreamThankYouDreamThankYouDreamThankYouDreamThankYouDreamThankYouDreamThankYouDreamThankYouDreamThankYouDreamThankYouDreamThankYouDreamThankYouDreamThankYouDreamThankYouDreamThankYouDreamThankYouDreamThankYouDream

It's so weird, because Daniel Bryan is a draw on Smackdown and usually does ok on Raw. Maybe they tuned out because they knew he was going to destroy Kofi? I think it's worse than usual because Cena was at the top of the hour which usually gains viewers so there is always a drop in the next segment.

Time to bring back the REAL draw of the WWE

84woR.gif

They should just have Bryan join nWo Wolf Pac. Maybe have him wear a bandana Tupac-style like Scott Hall and Konnan. I've always said in this thread that Daniel Bryan is rowdy rowdy and bout it bout it. Atleast to the same extent as Lex Luger, if not more.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Yet they continue to waste money on pyro for him
There's just no interest in the midcard. Like I said before, if you're not main event status, then you get no attention. If the WWE doesn't care, then the fans won't care. Kofi Kingston inhibits ratings, and his inhibition is stronger than Bryan's draw.

ij00CaeDo80Ov.gif

ThankYouDream

Did you guys ever notice how Bryan lifts his right leg (Sheamus hooks the left for the pin) straight into the air when he gets pinned and starts wiggling it? It's almost as if he's subtly saluting and sending out a message to Bryan-Nation.

It's almost as if he's trying to convey a message of hope and understanding just by wiggling his right leg in the air.

Like he's saying, "It's ok, guys. I'm ok with this. I'm going to be fine. Don't cry for me."

DMczaf

WWE EVENTS TOPPING ONE MILLION BUYS WORLDWIDE

1. 1.3m (estimate) - 4/1/12 - WrestleMania 28 (Rock vs. Cena)

2. 1.25m - 4/1/07 - WrestleMania 23 (Lashley w/Trump vs. Umaga w/Vince)

3. 1.12m - 4/3/11 - WrestleMania 27 (Cena vs. Miz/Rock as main draw)

4. 1.09m - 4/3/05 - WrestleMania 21 (HHH vs. Batista)

5. 1.04m - 4/1/01 - WrestleMania 17 (Rock vs. Austin)

Weird, I was told by Wrasslin-GAF marks that Rock wasn't a draw anymore due to Survivor Series. Fucking marks.

And the John Cena vs. Lord Tensai main event gained 319,000 viewers, which is a poor overrun gain, but nobody cared about Tensai, to a 3.42.

Are you shitting me, Meltzer? You shit on Punk's gains when he's with ratings killers like Miz, and then Cena has a shitty gain and its "Well, no one cares about Tensai!" Fuck you Meltzer, stick your changed plans up your changed ass.

Man there is a shitload of commercials during this Impact. They butchered the AJ/Angle match. They've had some really rough cuts or edits too.

I was looking at the roster the other day, and it's a joke. The only guys they have people actually see as main event talent are Cena, Lesnar, Punk, Orton and Jericho. Then you have guys like Sheamus, Bryan, and maybe Big Show and Kane, who are guys who people kinda like, and can be put into a main event match if needed, but they aren't megastars (Kane used to be a big star, but he isn't anymore). And then there's everybody else.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I was looking at the roster the other day, and it's a joke. The only guys they have people actually see as main event talent are Cena, Lesnar, Punk, Orton and Jericho. Then you have guys like Sheamus, Bryan, and maybe Big Show and Kane, who are guys who people kinda like, and can be put into a main event match if needed, but they aren't megastars (Kane used to be a big star, but he isn't anymore). And then there's everybody else.
Kane is a much bigger draw than Big Show, and honestly, Bryan, as well. Bryan hasn't been built well by them lately.

RBH

It's funny how there was talk that HHH wanted to lay out a plan for every guy that gets brought up from FCW so that they have vignettes to hype them up beforehand and then a feud planned out in advance. Now it just seems like they're randomly bringing up a bunch of guys at the same time (so it's inevitable that a few of those guys will get lost in the shuffle soon) and only planting the seeds for one feud (Ambrose/Foley) among those new guys.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Even if he is, he still isn't on the level of the five I mentioned.
Jericho isn't on those guys' level either. Hell, I would argue the only real draws on that list are Cena, Lesnar, and maybe Punk. There is a HUGE difference between being over and being a draw.

Jericho isn't on those guys' level either. Hell, I would argue the only real draws on that list are Cena, Lesnar, and maybe Punk. There is a HUGE difference between being over and being a draw.
I'm talking about being over. In terms of fans perspective, Jericho is up there with the other four I mentioned. They actually react to Jericho, and like to hate Jericho. He's a really good heel.

Kane is somebody people barely still care about, and that's mostly because of them knowing he used to be somebody they really cared about. Same with Big Show.

Sheamus is inching closer and closer to that top level though. As much as WrassleGAF likes to trash him, the general WWE fan sees him as a somebody who is becoming a top guy. And he deserves it; he's one of the few to come out of FCW who is actually really good.

It's sad how even with all this talk, that people like Del Rio, Miz, and Henry aren't mentioned, because they were people who WWE tried to make you care about, and then gave up on.

bart jr

Neo Member
Daniel Bryan and Cee Lo Green?!

Aw shit, you done fucked up now.

You done put two of America's most wanted in the same motherfucking place at the same motherfucking time?

Break out the champaign glasses and motherfucking condoms!

I laughed way too fucking hard at this.

Now I can't get the image out of my head of Bryan as 2pac in the music video. Damn you, bean breath.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I'm talking about being over. In terms of fans perspective, Jericho is up there with the other four I mentioned. They actually react to Jericho, and like to hate Jericho. He's a really good heel.

Kane is somebody people barely still care about, and that's mostly because of them knowing he used to be somebody they really cared about. Same with Big Show.

Sheamus is inching closer and closer to that top level though. As much as WrassleGAF likes to trash him, the general WWE fan sees him as a somebody who is becoming a top guy. And he deserves it; he's one of the few to come out of FCW who is actually really good.

It's sad how even with all this talk, that people like Del Rio, Miz, and Henry aren't mentioned, because they were people who WWE tried to make you care about, and then gave up on.
I just don't buy that argument. They care about Jericho because he's in a feud with Punk that's for the WWE title. Kane is in a feud with Orton over a fucking handshake, and he's still over. Put Kane in the WWE title picture with a big fan favorite like Punk, give them plenty of time, and people will care. It's also easy to remain fresh and cool when you leave for year long stretches.

If we're just talking over, then Kane is on Jericho's level. I mean shit, put Jericho in some random feud with some idiot over a handshake, and see how much interest he gets. I bet it would be the same interest Kane is getting now.

But like I said, being over is miles away from being a draw. Right now, it's just Lesnar, Cena, and maybe Punk.

dream

Look, it's not hard to figure out. "Yes" is a fun thing to chant and people cheer for Daniel Bryan in the arena because they see it as an opportunity to chant "yes." But nobody actually wants to watch that dreadfully boring performer and, without being able to chant along with 2500 other fans, people at home hear Flight of the Valkyries and it's a cue for them to watch something else for 5 minutes.

edit: as for the "but he does okay on Smackdown" -- Smackdown is on Friday nights. Only nerds are home watching pro rasslin on Friday nights, and they are the only people who think Daniel Bryan is compelling.

Razorskin

----- ------
It's funny how there was talk that HHH wanted to lay out a plan for every guy that gets brought up from FCW so that they have vignettes to hype them up beforehand and then a feud planned out in advance. Now it just seems like they're randomly bringing up a bunch of guys at the same time (so it's inevitable that a few of those guys will get lost in the shuffle soon) and only planting the seeds for one feud (Ambrose/Foley) among those new guys.
I can only think of 3 guys from FCW that are being brought up and all 3 are getting hyped up beforehand
(Sandrow,Ambrose,
Claudio
)

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Look, it's not hard to figure out. "Yes" is a fun thing to chant and people cheer for Daniel Bryan in the arena because they see it as an opportunity to chant "yes." But nobody actually wants to watch that dreadfully boring performer and, without being able to chant along with 2500 other fans, people at home hear Flight of the Valkyries and it's a cue for them to watch something else for 5 minutes.

edit: as for the "but he does okay on Smackdown" -- Smackdown is on Friday nights. Only nerds are home watching pro rasslin on Friday nights, and they are the only people who think Daniel Bryan is compelling.
Smackdown draws the absolute diehard WWE crowd. These are people who will watch anything the WWE puts out.

Top Bottom