• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin |OT| D.Brine collects his P45

jmdajr

Got hooked on this lats night. Need to finish watching! (netflix)
51p64ZF9TSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Linkified

Fair enough, we'll wait and see. But this is WWE, I have low expectations and hopes.

But really? That's why he declared Wrestlemania the worst night of his wrestling career?

He loves his job, it's his life. Of course he cares when at the biggest show ever he gets to lose his chamionship in 18 seconds in the opening match.

Yes he is trying to get smarks to buy his T-shirt he is going to say anything.

Linkified

Smackdown! Spoilers have me depressed.

I don't really care for Bryan, but the fact that they're making him try and neuter the crowd is so stupid. Sucks for someone who could have been so over. Only a matter of time before he's in the minority matches with Truth/Otunga/Henry.

Think about it think about it.

If someone says to a kid don't play that Crazy Frog ringtone it annoys me, what do you think that kid is going to do? He is going to keep playing said ringtone till gets stupid annoying.

Same thing here kids are now going to chant 'Yes' to piss of Bryan simple and effective. Gets Bryan over with a new market inadvertently.

Kyoufu

there should be like.. an injunction or something, by the board of directors.

Yeah Triple H should take over day to day operations then Bryan can job to him at a PPV.

Wait why does this sound so familiar?

On a side note: I miss Steve Austin. What a legend.

markatisu

Shit is good. Lots of amazing wrasslin' and psychology in that.

All the WWE Documentaries about other Feds are like that, surprinsingly.

The WCCW one is heartbreaking, the ECW one is probably the best one they did. The WCW is sad because they really did almost take out Vince

Aiii

So not worth it
The WCW one was a bit of a letdown as the documentary showed alot of overlap with the Monday Night Wars docu.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Caught Raw last night to see Punk call Johnny a "toolbox" and I cringed. It's a shame how far his character has fallen. Every time he says "WWE Universe" I cry for his old character.

I know I'm late on this, but at least the WWE used the real 4 Horsemen theme at the Hall of Fame Ceremony and not the lame Jim Johnston produced copy.
They'll probably dub over it on the DVD. :/

UberTag

Caught Raw last night to see Punk call Johnny a "toolbox" and I cringed. It's a shame how far his character has fallen. Every time he says "WWE Universe" I cry for his old character.
CM Punk is now a Vince-approved sports entertainment character.
Wrestling to 1/3 of his ability, chanting the WWE lingo and feuding with Chris Jericho over substance abuse while "alcohol" is poured all over his face.

Because that whole "best wrestler in the world" distinction or the meaningless WWE championship title just weren't enough of a hook.

Anyone who becomes WWE Champ has to become a completely bland, boring sports entertainer.
Notice how the "opposite" seems to happen with the World Heavyweight Championship.
With that title, you're bland and boring BEFORE you win it. Then you get it and actually develop a personality.
Let's hope the same thing happens for Sheamus.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

Cena lite in the building!

Anyone who becomes WWE Champ has to become a completely bland, boring sports entertainer.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Cena lite in the building!

I understand that if you're going to be a face champion, you lose a lot of your bite depending on the 'global climate' of wrasslin' but it just hurts. Punk used to be so much better. Going back a few years or even more, the difference is just so jarring.

Ah well. That's life. At least I can cheer on Lord Tensai so we can see the TENSAI TICKLER!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
More like anyone who becomes a babyface has to become a completely bland, boring sports entertainer.

Even Sheamus is a sad thing as a face. Remember that whole "hey fella, I wanna rip off your face, maybe I'll fuck your girlfriend" when he was a heel? So good.

jmdajr

CM Punk is now a Vince-approved sports entertainment character.
Wrestling to 1/3 of his ability, chanting the WWE lingo and feuding with Chris Jericho over substance abuse while "alcohol" is poured all over his face.

Because that whole "best wrestler in the world" distinction or the meaningless WWE championship title just weren't enough of a hook.

Notice how the "opposite" seems to happen with the World Heavyweight Championship.
With that title, you're bland and boring BEFORE you win it. Then you get it and actually develop a personality.
Let's hope the same thing happens for Sheamus.

Take the good with the bad.

A little off track but it's strange. The purpose of the HEEL is too be booed. We want CENA to be a HEEL, but he's already booed. So I guess what people really want is anti-hero Cena. Maybe that is a better way of phrasing. Or... do you guys want him to be HEEL, HEEL and have everyone boo him.

First day of the annual New Japan Cup tournament, featuring a number of awesome singles matches - definitely check out Yuji Nagata vs Minoru Suzuki and Satoshi Kojima vs Tetsuya Naito;

NJPW "40TH ANNIVERSARY TOUR ~ NEW JAPAN CUP 2012", 01.04.2012
Amagasaki Memorial Park Gymnasium
5,600 Fans - Super No Vacancy Full House

http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/x201cm

01. La Sombra vs YOSHI-HASHI

02. Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs Karl Anderson

03. Hirooki Goto vs Yujiro Takahashi

04. Shinsuke Nakamura vs MVP

05. Togi Makabe vs Lance Archer

06. Yuji Nagata vs Minoru Suzuki

07. Satoshi Kojima vs Tetsuya Naito

08. Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Toru Yano

Also, here's a couple of Big Japan shows, featuring Abdullah Kobayashi defending the BJW Heayvweight title against Masashi Takeda in a nail board death match, plus the annual Ikkitousen singles tournament which this year had a number of awesome matches - definitely check out Sami Callihan vs Yoshihito Sasaki & Daisuke Sekimoto vs wXw's Bad Bones;

BJW, 26.02.2012
Tokyo Korakuen Hall
1,579 Fans - Super No Vacancy

http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/x1zv9v

05. Daisuke Sekimoto vs Yuji Okabayashi

BJW HEAVEIGHT TITLE ULTIMATE LONG NAIL BOARD DEATH-MATCH;

07. Abdullah Kobayashi (c) vs Masashi Takeda

BJW, 26.03.2012 - IKKITOUSEN FINAL
Tokyo Korakuen Hall
1,206 Fans

http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/x1zvau

IKKITOUSEN SEMI-FINAL;

02. Yoshihito Sasaki vs Sami Callihan

IKKITOUSEN SEMI-FINAL;

03. Daisuke Sekimoto vs Bad Bones

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Watching Yuji go to work - thanks for keeping delicious wrestling on hand for us, Bootaaay. I mean it.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
A comment in my dark match video from a guy who was at the RAW show on Monday:
32k+ views in a single day!

I was 11th row floor. I can tell you guys that both Show and Orton were both enjoying the love we were showing Bryan. Orton had a smile on his face but was trying to hide it by keeping his face close to the turnbuckle. The part you can't really see is that when Show was in there with Bryan, he was really hamming it up with the "Yes!" stuff. And Bryan started playing along giving us the "cut it out" hand motion like we were just encouraging Show...it was hilarious

Again, I don't blame you guys for having no faith in this company, but Bryan really might just be playing the heel the whole way.

UberTag

Again, I don't blame you guys for having no faith in this company, but Bryan really might just be playing the heel the whole way.
I get the intended concept but it doesn't exactly fly if face wrestlers "encourage mocking YES" chants when facing Bryan only for the crowd to chant YES and applaud when Bryan's getting offense in and NO when his opponent does.

Bryan's going to need to start flipping off the audience (i.e. refusing to wrestle and taking count out losses if YES chants erupt). He can refer to us as a bunch of AJs.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Exactly. I hate the WWE.

Punk is a sellout.

It's a shame how Punk did sell out. His contract expiring, Vince saying "Look, if you re-sign, we'll make you one of the top guys - but you'll need to do this, and this, and this" which unfortunately went against some of the things he was very outspoken against in the past. But hey, I would have sold out as well. At least he can't "sell out" his wrestling ability. Just his character.

Kyoufu

It's a shame how Punk did sell out. His contract expiring, Vince saying "Look, if you re-sign, we'll make you one of the top guys - but you'll need to do this, and this, and this" which unfortunately went against some of the things he was very outspoken against in the past. But hey, I would have sold out as well. At least he can't "sell out" his wrestling ability. Just his character.

Punk's best attribute was his character. Take that away from him and all you have is some indie guy with a terrible finisher.

And I say this as Punk's biggest fan on GAF lol

UberTag

Punk's best attribute was his character. Take that away from him and all you have is some indie guy with a terrible finisher.

And I say this as Punk's biggest fan on GAF lol
At least he's got mic skills. That's more than most of their faces can say.
Other faces with mic skills = R-Truth, Big Show, Santino and... ummm, I refuse to include Orton. (Cena's a heel.)
I think everyone else is a mute.

Kyoufu

Other faces with mic skills = Cena, R-Truth, Big Show, Santino and... ummm, I refuse to include Orton.
I think everyone else is a mute.

Mic skills mean nothing when you're using "Toolbox" to insult someone.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

The downside of this is that you can always tell when he's been fed a particular line. When he's adlibbing, he's great. When he sounds forced, it's really, REALLY noticeable and drags it down for me.

I get the intended concept but it doesn't exactly fly if face wrestlers "encourage mocking YES" chants when facing Bryan only for the crowd to chant YES and applaud when Bryan's getting offense in and NO when his opponent does.

Bryan's going to need to start flipping off the audience (i.e. refusing to wrestle and taking count out losses if YES chants erupt). He can refer to us as a bunch of AJs.

that would make me like him even more. he got over because his heel character is really good. entertaining, funny and at least until mania, booked relatively credibly (ie, you didn't rule out him finding a way to win... and he hadn't been cheating to win either, more like, just gaming the system).

I dont know if this was posted yet but here is a great article on why wrestling sucks now.

http://mancavedaily.newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/04/02/why-wrestling-sucks-now/#comments

i think that article is terrible. there are loads of unique characters in the WWE today. i don't see how anyone can think otherwise. well, unless they don't watch the product and just tuned in for Mania which generally showcases the in ring ability over the out of ring personalities, which is certainly no new development.

having the WHC and the WWE title is a bit of a problem, but pretending that it isn't obvious which one is more prestigious based on watching Wrestlemania is a bit laughable.

i can't imagine which one was more important. the one that was given 18 seconds at the start of the show, or the one that was given more than 15 minutes right beneath the main event? i just can't possibly figure it out.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't like the article, but I find myself perpetually trying to look at the WWE from an outsider's perspective. And it never works well! I think peoples' opinions are important, especially ones that have been gone a long time, but that article just felt like an Attitude-era shill who was in it for the wrong reasons.

Top Bottom