• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin |OT| DO DO, DO DO DO-DO-DO, DO-DO-DO, DO-DOOOOO DO-DO

Kaladin

CZW is working on what looks like an awesome Best of the Best iPPV for Saturday.

BestOfTheBestSidebar.png

Bracket #1
ALEX COLON vs. SHANE STRICKLAND vs. RICH SWANN

Bracket #2
CALEB KONLEY vs. BIFF BUSICK vs. JON GRESHAM

Bracket #3
SHANE HOLLISTER vs. ALEX REYNOLDS vs. wXw's TOMMY END

Bracket #4
CZW Wired TV Champion AR FOX vs. CHIVA KID vs. UHAA NATION

I think the finals are a four way.

and in non-tourney action...

The Final Encounter
ADAM COLE vs. SAMI CALLIHAN

Strong Style Battle
CZW Owner DJ HYDE vs. MICHAEL DANTE

More matches to be announced.

I also don't think the iPPV is up for ordering yet.

Dthomp

So I loved Raw, but was it that good? I mean wrestling wise? The crowd WAS the show. They still tried to trot out the usual crap that they do every week, just like next week will be. Cena garbage to open, Dolphs moment was great (But should have been at Mania) but other then that what did we get? The Fandango stuff was fun, but he still wrestled a 10 second match it felt like. His after the match promo was the most entertaining. Other then that what was so great? 8 man that was supposed to be at Mania? 6 man jobber match to fill time? Miz having a one day title reign to continue the total devalue of the title? The fact that we had no Cesaro even though he wasn't at Mania either? No Punk?

Like I said IT WAS VERY FUN! but this is the same exact card you can get in Boise, Idaho and get no reaction to anything on the card outside of Dolph. I'll care more when shows get this fun on a regular basis.

Now we can all return to our usual Cena programming.

I think Del Rio is actually quite good as a face. They've just booked him terribly and his pandering smiling and American dick riding isn't what anyone wants to see. Not really sure where you go with him now.

Agreed. I'm a big fan of Del Rio but he's been booked abysmally. I'll even number the problems that I've had:
1) His face turn was quite possibly the worst I've ever seen, barring the random Diva turns that happen with no explanation. It had no build up at all, he was teamed with the worst face in history (Miz) and went up against the 3MB of all people.
2) The Christmas episode where he was set up against Cena, automatically making him a heel to the typical WWE audience and for some absolutely moronic reason, they edited out the ending that re-established him as a face.
3) He was pushed way too quickly to the title and didn't have anywhere really to go from there. No build up nor chase, just a rush job to the title.
4) The Big Show feud started out pretty good but by the end, the writing team was just writing goofy shit to fill in time. It should've been ended at the Royal Rumble.
5) While I like Swagger, he needed to be rebuilt over months after the way he was treated just a few months beforehand. Putting a face that isn't over up against a heel that no-one gives a shit about was a recipe for disaster.
6) Who has he beat that actually matters? Big Show, Ziggler and Cesaro? The latter two lose all the time, so I'm not sure if they count. And if not, that leaves Big Show. All the other main eventers were off doing more important shit, I guess.

I'm not that surprised by all this though, more disappointed. Del Rio's booking has been abysmal ever since he lost to Edge at Wrestlemania, sinking to its lowest last year when he was Sheamus' personal whipping boy.

If I'd booked this shit, Ziggler would've cashed in months ago on Sheamus, Del Rio would've won the RR and they would've put a hell of a match on at WM.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
He's right though, it was.

The Ole chant is a football chant too.

Just to explain where the Mike Chioda thing came from, a commercial break or two before that match they did the "Sign of the Night" thing where they showed various signs on the Titantron and Justin Roberts reads them out loud. At one point in that bit, though, they just showed Mike Chioda, and Justin Roberts said "Mike Chioda!" as if he was a sign.

That's why his name was the first to get chanted once those chants started.

So I loved Raw, but was it that good? I mean wrestling wise? The crowd WAS the show. They still tried to trot out the usual crap that they do every week, just like next week will be. Cena garbage to open, Dolphs moment was great (But should have been at Mania) but other then that what did we get? The Fandango stuff was fun, but he still wrestled a 10 second match it felt like. His after the match promo was the most entertaining. Other then that what was so great? 8 man that was supposed to be at Mania? 6 man jobber match to fill time? Miz having a one day title reign to continue the total devalue of the title? The fact that we had no Cesaro even though he wasn't at Mania either? No Punk?

Like I said IT WAS VERY FUN! but this is the same exact card you can get in Boise, Idaho and get no reaction to anything on the card outside of Dolph. I'll care more when shows get this fun on a regular basis.

Taker, Kane and Daniel Bryan standing in the ring together isn't really the usual crap either.

So I loved Raw, but was it that good? I mean wrestling wise?

Orton/Sheamus was fine, not terribly exciting though and the crowd just didn't want to see it. The trouble with Orton is that he often slows matches down and takes his opponent to the mat, but his mat work just isn't that interesting. It really is a lost art these days.

Big E vs Bryan was good but could have gone another 5 minutes and been great. Deli Rio vs Swagger was another match that suffered from being real dull, but once Ziggler cashed in it got real good and I liked the way they structured this segment.

Overall, I'd say it was acceptable, but it was a show that really needed a kick ass main event (and one the crowd cared about, at that). Should've just put a smark favourite against Cena (Antonio Cesaro, for instance) and teased him winning a whole bunch of times.

Mr. Sandman said:
CZW is working on what looks like an awesome Best of the Best iPPV for Saturday.

Nice, I might get this - getting kinda bored of AR Fox though, hope he doesn't win it. A final four of Strickland vs Konley vs Tommy End vs Uhaa would be cool.

Anth0ny

Like last year's post Mania show, it was pretty meh outside of one HUGE moment (Ziggler cashing in). But yeah, the crowd made an otherwise mediocre show awesome.

Kaladin

I just bought Age of Empires II HD and Poker Night 2....

Let me get some time on Age of Empires II HD before we get into Multiplayer.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/djsandman/

Nice, I might get this - getting kinda bored of AR Fox though, hope he doesn't win it. A final four of Strickland vs Konley vs Tommy End vs Uhaa would be cool.

I have a feeling it could be Shane Strickland or Uhaa Nation getting the win. Both are due for big indie pushes.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
AoE2 is so dope but I realized when playing it is that back in the day when I played it, I NEVER played multi and ALWAYS played with cheats. So I'm learning how the game works with applied tactics like I learned in Starcraft 2 and CoH.

However when given a choice, I'm going to the CoH2 beta EVERY time. shit is hot. Broke the NDA I guess :(

Eidan

Why were people happy to see Barret win last night? Has he had some great matches in the past or something? From what I can tell he had a good two weeks with Nexus, and has been on fumes ever since.

Ithil

Orton/Sheamus was fine, not terribly exciting though and the crowd just didn't want to see it. The trouble with Orton is that he often slows matches down and takes his opponent to the mat, but his mat work just isn't that interesting. It really is a lost art these days.

Big E vs Bryan was good but could have gone another 5 minutes and been great. Deli Rio vs Swagger was another match that suffered from being real dull, but once Ziggler cashed in it got real good and I liked the way they structured this segment.

Overall, I'd say it was acceptable, but it was a show that really needed a kick ass main event (and one the crowd cared about, at that). Should've just put a smark favourite against Cena (Antonio Cesaro, for instance) and teased him winning a whole bunch of times.

Miz vs Barrett was a pretty good match, best either man's had for ages.

Cagey

Banned
Just to explain where the Mike Chioda thing came from, a commercial break or two before that match they did the "Sign of the Night" thing where they showed various signs on the Titantron and Justin Roberts reads them out loud. At one point in that bit, though, they just showed Mike Chioda, and Justin Roberts said "Mike Chioda!" as if he was a sign.

That's why his name was the first to get chanted once those chants started.

Haha yessss. The look on Chioda's face when the camera showed him for some reason during signfest was priceless, too. "Wait what? Me? Ok." And then he became the catalyst for the best minus five stars match of all time.

Why were people happy to see Barret win last night? Has he had some great matches in the past or something? From what I can tell he had a good two weeks with Nexus, and has been on fumes ever since.

A combo of Brits + smarks like heels + I'd root for terrorists v. The Miz.

I don't care for Wade Barrett, myself, but last night he was fighting The Miz, thus he was basically Jesus.

1) No one likes The Miz
2) Talented wrestler in the ring and on the mic. Hasn't really had his moment to shine.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Barret was robbed the night before, it's justice.

Kaladin

AoE2 is so dope but I realized when playing it is that back in the day when I played it, I NEVER played multi and ALWAYS played with cheats. So I'm learning how the game works with applied tactics like I learned in Starcraft 2 and CoH.

However when given a choice, I'm going to the CoH2 beta EVERY time. shit is hot. Broke the NDA I guess :(

I might grab that one in May. $60 is a bit steep though.

Yeah, same here, I never have been all that great at RTS games (other than proper city builders), so I always used cheats back in the day, lol. So not ready for multiplayer yet, need to play some of the scenarios and complete them properly this time.

Is Company of Heroes any good? I think I bought the whole thing for piss cheap in one of the Steam sales, but I've never played it.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Barrett's great, rarely actually gets the chance to be great.

And he was against Face Miz. I actually don't hate Miz in and of himself, but Face Miz is just the fucking worst.

Plus it was a quality match with a nice finish.

Ithil

Barret was robbed the night before, it's justice.

And Barrett was a badass in his match last night, doing the Cactus Jack Elbow from the apron, dropping a neckbreaker on Miz on the apron, etc. Helped that the crowd was very much behind him, but no wonder they were, why wouldn't you cheer a guy doing those kind of moves while Miz primps and preens around the ring like a fool?

I'm rewatching RAW now and I'm shocked that even early on, the commentary are actually acknowledging the crowd are against Miz even though he's the face. Guess they decided to not bullshit the audience too much, though I remember they ignore the Ziggler chants during Del Rio's match (but that's understandable, if they acknowledged those it would give away the cash-in). But once Ziggler cashed in, they just let the crowd do what they want. It's great.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, same here, I never have been all that great at RTS games (other than proper city builders), so I always used cheats back in the day, lol. So not ready for multiplayer yet, need to play some of the scenarios and complete them properly this time.

Is Company of Heroes any good? I think I bought the whole thing for piss cheap in one of the Steam sales, but I've never played it.

Back about 10 years ago I got my RTS enjoyment out of building a huge base. I guess that's why I was so into tower defense.

CoH is probably my favorite game of all time. Sparked a real revolution in how I played RTS and I understood the beauty of the game. It is absolutely fantastic, impeccably balanced (Bishoptl worked on it too!) - definitely the best RTS I've ever played. Do some CPU skirmishes - they're really enjoyable.

Relic went on to work on Dawn of War, and DoW2 has a lot of holdover gameplay revolutions that CoH spurred on. Great games, and I love the 40k universe, but CoH is just untouchable. REALLY worth putting time in, and seeing so much of it being historically accurate (I'm a WWII nut) is icing on the cake. LOVE IT.

Barrett's great, rarely actually gets the chance to be great.

This is absolutely 100% true.

Chopper

Oh my Gahd! Raw was fucking awesome.

Now I'm up to date, and no longer avoiding results, I can commit to my new avatar.

Can someone sad-Cenafy my avatar?! After that Raw, I don't feel so bad about it all.

Kaladin

Back about 10 years ago I got my RTS enjoyment out of building a huge base. I guess that's why I was so into tower defense.

CoH is probably my favorite game of all time. Sparked a real revolution in how I played RTS and I understood the beauty of the game. It is absolutely fantastic, impeccably balanced (Bishoptl worked on it too!) - definitely the best RTS I've ever played. Do some CPU skirmishes - they're really enjoyable.

Relic went on to work on Dawn of War, and DoW2 has a lot of holdover gameplay revolutions that CoH spurred on. Great games, and I love the 40k universe, but CoH is just untouchable. REALLY worth putting time in, and seeing so much of it being historically accurate (I'm a WWII nut) is icing on the cake. LOVE IT.

I love building a base, especially when I have time to build a back-up base. That's why I love populating a multiplayer map with CPU opponents in addition to the human ones. You can take out a nearby CPU opponent early on and build up a back-up base and eventually fight the battle on two fronts.

I think it was C&C Tiberium Wars that had some excellent options for that, like the cloaking device where I could cloak the location of my back-up base before it was fully operational.

Ithil

Only problem with Barrett is he's a slow brawler in style, so short TV matches (like 5 minutes long) with him can be boring. It's in longer matches that he shines, especially with either a fellow brawler like Sheamus, or someone smaller he can throw around.

The match with Miz is a good example of a longer match being much better for him (12 minutes I believe).

Pavaloo

Ah I can't wait till I can change my avatar again. Smackdown definitely gonna be worth watch from now on with Zigs as champ

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
EEEEEEGGGHHHYAAAGGGGHHHHHH

Jesus Christ I'm dying.

I know right? "Troll yell? How weird could it sound?" then it happens and youre like WHAT in the HELL did he do

bangai-o

Banned
Del Rio is a fine face. we have to remember, we hate all faces, so its not like we would given him a good judgment either way.

what you can do is ask some little jimmies if he is a a good, good guy.

Anth0ny

Came back just so WWE could piggie back off his popularity and to "pass the torch" to a guy who literally is the most dominant and winningest wrestler in WWE history. There is no higher peak Cena could reach. That whole thing could have been accomplished in one promo of Rock putting Cena over instead of their feud being spread out over 2 years with maybe 2 months worth of build total.

Well he's gonna beat Ryback next month

then they came make him end the streak

or like... bring back Austin while Punk faces Miz at Mania 30

jmdajr

Kane, taker dont get too much hate, neither jericho.
But of newer guys, yeah D. Bry.

Cena, rio, orton, sheamus, ryback all shitted on.

I was thinking about this last night, but other than the indy darlings, who are the new wrestlers that the IWC fully support?

Ziggler
Barrett?

Top Bottom