• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin |OT| DO DO, DO DO DO-DO-DO, DO-DO-DO, DO-DOOOOO DO-DO

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
One of the first videos I favorited on youtube was the Super Mario Paul London/Akio video.

Looks like it's not around anymore. Of course, this was also when Tajiri actually had a convincing gimmick and Rey Mysterio's knees weren't completely destroyed.

Mysterio and Tajiri was probably my favorite cruiserweight feud just on pure match quality. And it was awesome to see the guy who brought lucha libre to my attention at a young age wrestle the guy who brought puroresu to my attention at a young age. Not near as magical as Tajiri/Psicosis or Tajiri/Super Crazy but different environments and all that.
Velocity was fucking awesome when it started.

It was no Stevie Night Heat.

I actually really enjoyed Cesaro vs Del Rio. Regardless of all his losses recently, Cesaro got to look competitive here and they had a good back and forth. Nice spot for the finish, as well.

i6SmPlHr0PMDC.gif

ibjopWOmy7k4jO.gif

Fandango's leg drop is pretty great;

iUGftVg1Ctfev.gif

Main event was fine, but nothing spectacular.

Jesus, Go Shiozaki's chops look brutal;

I was legit shook when Cena's ankle gave out.

I think it's a legit injury, guys.

I'm certain it was. You could see the bone snap in two as he lifted Rollins up.

Then it overcame the odds and fused back together allowing him to take the two or three shuffle steps to get into position to take the spear.

What a guy.

Aiii

So not worth it
I'm certain it was. You could see the bone snap in two as he lifted Rollins up.

Then it overcame the odds and fused back together allowing him to take the two or three shuffle steps to get into position to take the spear.

What a guy.

#Cenation

strobogo

Banned
You know, I kind of feel bad for shitting on these ECW shows. They were in a pretty bad spot. They were already having money troubles and then got a shitty TV spot that they paid for, yet it didn't improve their attendance or buy rates at all. Then TNN wouldn't promote them at all.

As soon as they get their TV deal, the Dudleyz and Taz leave for the WWF. They make it through a rough patch and then RVD gets hurt. Then Jerry Lynn gets hurt. Then Mike Awesome leaves. Then Raven leaves. Then Lance Storm leaves. So basically all they had left was a fucked up Sandman, an injured Dreamer, Justin Credible, Rhino, and Steve Corino. As bad as the ones I've seen so far are, they're about to get worse. I think it is two shows until Awesome bolts, they bring Taz back to beat Awesome for the title to drop it to Dreamer, who drops it to Credible. Awful shit. Paul had been basically running shit full blast on his own for 7 years and was totally burnt out and had no money to get new people.

But then I remember that Paul was intentionally fucking off on the TNN shows to get out of their contract, and I can't feel bad for someone going out of their way to make a shitty product for their fans just because of a shitty deal. There is no excuse to intentionally put on poor shows. But even before Paul started tanking the shows, they weren't very good.

"Fuck. It's show time? Crazy, Tajiri, get out there and do something." "But Paul-San, we've wrestled on the past 5 shows." "I'M VINCE MCMAHON, DAMN IT!" "Que?"

This Cena loss is just the precursor to a greater Cena victory, do not so quickly forget when Lord Tensei of all people got a mostly clean win over Cena a year ago before Extreme Rules.

I like that it's come to this; deciding whether a Cena injury is a precursor to him overcoming the odds or just a way for him to save face in defeat. WWE's unpredictable again!

Striker

Watching some matches from Youtube, Del Rio and Cesaro worked really well together. Would make lots of sense to make a story between those title or have Cesaro chase the title if/once Del Rio regains it. These losses make for him to be an underdog again most faces nowadays, which is unfortunate. He should've been getting a few losses here and there early on, but his push to the US title was basically all wins and showing off his uppercut and getting his finisher over (which was fine vs. the big guys). Undefeated streaks have been with Cesaro, Brodus, and Ryback. One on-going now with the Shield, and I'm sure they'll bank one on Big E Langston, too. Mindless booking.

Rhodes and Orton seems ok, but Orton's formula is as predictable as Cena's anymore. Since when has he been doing the t-bone suplex? lol The Disaster Kick 'reversed' into an RKO could've been seen by Stevie Wonder.

strobogo

Banned
Velocity is like negative continuity. One week, Tajiri is clearly a heel against Kidman. Then he's a heel against Hugh Morris. Then he's a face against Albert. Chavo has bounced back and forth 3 times. It's so strange. I don't really mind it, though. It's not like SWERVES or anything. It's more like cruiserweights are modern day Divas where their actual alignment doesn't matter outside of 2 or 3 of them. Kidman, Hurricane, and Jamie Noble are really the only ones set in stone.

Albert now has a "loses to cruiserweights" gimmick.

I like that it's come to this; deciding whether a Cena injury is a precursor to him overcoming the odds or just a way for him to save face in defeat. WWE's unpredictable again!

It's both Boots, it's both, that's what makes it so masterful, he evades an outright clean loss while gaining greater odds to overcome at PPV crunch time, sheer genius, after 7 years of Super Cena booking they have perfected the formula, this one even ends with a new star being fed to Cena, it's truly the apex of Cena booking.
No wonder Beef has jumped on the Cenation bandwagon.

Ithil

Like I'm gonna track down NXT to watch wrestlers get used well before getting called up to get jobbed out. False hope
Like I'm gonna wake up on Saturday morning to watch babbys first wrasslin
Like I'm gonna find out when and where Superstars is shown
Like I'm gonna watch Seagull Pop: The Series

Ain't nobody got time for that. NJPW for real wrestling, Raw so I can appreciate NJPW even more, Impact for Bully Ray + the Aries/Roode/Daniels/Kaz/AJ angle, WrassleGAF gifs + recaps for everything else.

Seriously, watch NXT. It's WWE's version of an indie show, with zero Vince input.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds like all of you who watched Raw last night kinda...lost.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You should have saved the GWF finale for last night. I needed some sort of palette cleanser.

All this does is inspire me to make GWF 2.0 happen earlier. Motivated by how bad the WWE is.

Ithil

Was there? I know Ziggler beat Kofi, but they didn't have any particular interaction for Big E and Kofi. But it would make sense, Kofi is not going to do anything, ever, with the title. Team Rocket all with singles gold would be a good image.

Yeah the US title doesn't mean anything, but it looks good in a stable full of titles.

jred2k

Was there? I know Ziggler beat Kofi, but they didn't have any particular interaction for Big E and Kofi. But it would make sense, Kofi is not going to do anything, ever, with the title. Team Rocket all with singles gold would be a good image.

Yeah the US title doesn't mean anything, but it looks good in a stable full of titles.

There was some interaction throughout the match and then Big E gave him the Big Ending twice after the match. Kofi isn't a guy that will just stand by and be disrespected like that.

Aiii

So not worth it
The end of the match with Big E doing his finisher on Kofi twice was all set-up for a feud. This time next month Ziggler, Big E and AJ will all have titles. Mark my words.

Watching the ROH vs CZW compilation. Suddenly, chairs;

iKS5PFsVzA8ys.gif

So ridiculous.

Still love this Psycho Driver spot on Whitmer;

ibqkK4UJKaaKG.gif

Samoa Joe cowers in fear from The Zandig, lol;

iboJSX1zkLsacX.gif

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
What year was that Bootaaay? I kind of want to watch it. Fuckin Zandig goddammit :D

What year was that Bootaaay? I kind of want to watch it. Fuckin Zandig goddammit :D

2006, unfortunately Zandig wasn't involved much - he showed up a couple of times, made Joe look like a bitch and then never came back, lol. ROH did an in-ring debate between Cornette and Zandig, but it came across AWFUL and I guess Zandig wanted no more part of the storyline after that, as he didn't do a great job of carrying the feud in CZW. They barely mentioned it at all, whereas it was the main focus of ROH that year.

Here's a couple of MV's of the ROH vs CZW feud that cover most of the big spots;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLd6hJfAQGU & http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhdUCjPPL3w

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
2006, unfortunately Zandig wasn't involved much - he showed up a couple of times, made Joe look like a bitch and then never came back, lol. ROH did an in-ring debate between Cornette and Zandig, but it came across AWFUL and I guess Zandig wanted no more part of the storyline after that, as he didn't do a great job of carrying the feud in CZW. They barely mentioned it at all, whereas it was the main focus of ROH that year.

Here's a couple of MV's of the ROH vs CZW feud that cover most of the big spots;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLd6hJfAQGU & http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhdUCjPPL3w

Putting Zandig in a debate sounds unbelievably hilariously bad. It's probably just "plain bad" though eh?

McNei1y

The end of the match with Big E doing his finisher on Kofi twice was all set-up for a feud. This time next month Ziggler, Big E and AJ will all have titles. Mark my words.

I liked what Ziggler was saying when they were walking in the hallway after the match. "Good job guys. We did good. Most of it was me but good job all around!" What an awesome guy.

Aiii

So not worth it
- There are a lot of people in WWE wondering exactly what’s going on with Antonio Cesaro, specifically, the way he’s been booked in recent months. After a strong upper-midcard push in 2012 and a lengthy run with the United States Championship, his stock has apparently crashed and his omission from the WrestleMania 29 card was the strongest indication yet that WWE has put the breaks on his career momentum.

Asking around, nobody seems to know why Cesaro is being pulled “pulled” the way he is. As best as people can tell, it’s an example of WWE creative not having a clear vision for many of their Superstars.

At least he's not in the doghouse, heh. :(

You know, I kind of feel bad for shitting on these ECW shows. They were in a pretty bad spot. They were already having money troubles and then got a shitty TV spot that they paid for, yet it didn't improve their attendance or buy rates at all. Then TNN wouldn't promote them at all.

As soon as they get their TV deal, the Dudleyz and Taz leave for the WWF. They make it through a rough patch and then RVD gets hurt. Then Jerry Lynn gets hurt. Then Mike Awesome leaves. Then Raven leaves. Then Lance Storm leaves. So basically all they had left was a fucked up Sandman, an injured Dreamer, Justin Credible, Rhino, and Steve Corino. As bad as the ones I've seen so far are, they're about to get worse. I think it is two shows until Awesome bolts, they bring Taz back to beat Awesome for the title to drop it to Dreamer, who drops it to Credible. Awful shit. Paul had been basically running shit full blast on his own for 7 years and was totally burnt out and had no money to get new people.

But then I remember that Paul was intentionally fucking off on the TNN shows to get out of their contract, and I can't feel bad for someone going out of their way to make a shitty product for their fans just because of a shitty deal. There is no excuse to intentionally put on poor shows. But even before Paul started tanking the shows, they weren't very good.

"Fuck. It's show time? Crazy, Tajiri, get out there and do something." "But Paul-San, we've wrestled on the past 5 shows." "I'M VINCE MCMAHON, DAMN IT!" "Que?"

By the end of ECW it was getting pretty bad. All their stars have moved on and the product was becoming a bit watered down. Best ECW was 95-97. Started to go down hill once Raven left for WCW

McNei1y

At least he's not in the doghouse, heh. :(

I enjoyed everything about his match with ADR last night except for that stupid shoulder charge. It reminded me of some horribly constructed boss in a 2D sidescroller. But he, along with others, need somewhere to go. What's Barrett doing? Miz? (although no complaints here) Sheamus and Mark Henry I guess? Orton? Show?

PopfulMail

I liked what Ziggler was saying when they were walking in the hallway after the match. "Good job guys. We did good. Most of it was me but good job all around!" What an awesome guy.

Ziggler seems like a cool ass cat for sure. After that match was over and the cameras were off of him he acknowledged our section of the crowd that was cheering for him last night. I really wish they would do this shit more often.

jmdajr

Since it's the talk now.

Have any professional wrestler's ever come out of the closet while still active?
Like officially.

Did Kanyon come out while in WCW.

edit:Speaking of, here is a story on him

In 2003, he pitched an idea to WWE honcho Vince McMahon: he wanted to become the first openly gay professional wrestler. The idea apparently didn’t fly with the boss (although Kanyon performed one peculiar skit on WWE Smackdown imitating gay pop star Boy George), and he was unemployed within a year.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Since it's the talk now.

Have any professional wrestler's ever come out of the closet while still active?
Like officially.

Did Kanyon come out while in WCW.

Don't think so, no. Now, Pat Patterson may have but I don't know if it was public or "people saw him fucking men and just shrugged"

jmdajr

Don't think so, no. Now, Pat Patterson may have but I don't know if it was public or "people saw him fucking men and just shrugged"

Yeah the rumor mill is crazy. I remember that list of Pro Wrestler so called "Urban legends."
I'm sure I've read of some funny business in an autobiography or too.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
this is rigged. Goldberg vs Lesnar 2nd round? at opposite sides of the brackets they would meet only on the final match.

is this tournament held at Saitama Super Arena, circa 2003/2004?

Tell me about it, in no universe EVER would Disco lose to Misawa

what did I just say

this is rigged. Goldberg vs Lesnar 2nd round? at opposite sides of the brackets they would meet only on the final match.

is this tournament held at Saitama Super Arena, circa 2003/2004?

Hehe. All the seeds were random. If I had it my way, Disco would have won :)

List of venues in the game:
-> Tokyo Dome (NJPW)
-> Tokyo Dome
-> Nippon Budoukan (NOAH)
-> Nippon Budoukan (AJ)
-> Nippon Budoukan
-> Tokyo Sumo Hall
-> Ocean Harbor
-> Korakuen Hall
-> Differ Ariake
-> Yoyogi Gymnasium
-> Kawasaki Stadium

Tell me about it, in no universe EVER would Disco lose to Misawa

what did I just say

He was so close!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I don't want an active gay wrestler to come out in the WWE, Vince would basically turn him into golddust and it would be embarrassing

Didn't they do that shit with Adrian Adonis? I can't remember.

Top Bottom