• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| Porsha! Get my damn shoe!

XenoRaven

Here's where I completely disagree. It's a total shitface Millennial Move to make a little cute video series instead of talk to the people in charge about the issues you have. Millennials do that shit - not grown folks.
I kind of feel like you're one of the first people to call people out for assuming they know what goes on behind closed doors, yet when you have an opportunity to shit on someone for "complaining on Twitter" when they may have actually talked to Vince and not gotten anywhere you take it without a second thought.

Kaladin

Honestly, Bryan is Ziggler 2.0 now. He's a guy who has no character and just loves entertaining fans with matches. After Team Hell No broke up his character faded away and was basically gone by the time he feuded with Kane for the belt.

True, but I think Bryan at least comes off as having more motivation to go for that top spot.

jmdajr

Sounds like the Cena interview was spot on. If you don't have something to hook people, you won't make it big time.

I actually watched that last night and not sure where the complaints were coming from. I thought it was an enjoyable interview and it was nice to hear some stories of Cena coming up and his thoughts on WWE and the business.

Got to take risks even if it means getting fired.

klonere

Banned
I hate how Ziggler's matches are all basically the same. I know everyone repeats moves and spots, but with him it's incredibly noticeable.

someone in this thread said that he goes full 20 minute HBK sell 5 minutes into the match, which is pretty dead on

i dunno he was given that big survivor series spot but then he got in with Ryback and Rowan and........nothing happened. then again i wouldnt say Reigns has a character beyond "imma spear/superman punch [opponent] till they cant get up, then I will pin them". And cocking his wrist.

which i kinda like in a really goofy way

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
tumblr_mxv9bdlxSb1s1uj0qo1_540.jpg

Sephzilla

someone in this thread said that he goes full 20 minute HBK sell 5 minutes into the match, which is pretty dead on

i dunno he was given that big survivor series spot but then he got in with Ryback and Rowan and........nothing happened. then again i wouldnt say Reigns has a character beyond "imma spear/superman punch [opponent] till they cant get up, then I will pin them". And cocking his wrist.

which i kinda like in a really goofy way

Speaking of faces with no fucking character, Roman fucking Reigns.

Cagey

Banned
I don't buy any of the "can't outsell Cena" or other favoritism bullshit.

Yet I still don't understand the treament of Zack Ryder since the guy was printing merchandise money above and beyond a lot of the other, more tenured, and more talented wrestlers. If you can use crowds at shows and what they're wearing as an estimated measure of merch sales, which I think you can, there was a lot of his shit (shirts glasses wigs etc.) on kids.

It's just strange, really. He felt like the kind of short-term sales guy you ride for as long as possible and then when it inevitably flames out after a year, you then kick him aside.

strobogo

Banned
Dolph's character is, "I'm the best worker and I can out bump everyone on the roster". Not "I'm the best and want to be champion".

klonere

Banned
His version of "trying" is making Youtube videos complaining instead of going up to his boss, well known for respecting talent who speak their mind to him. And then complaining on twitter. Why would you reward that type of behavior?

Here's where I completely disagree. It's a total shitface Millennial Move to make a little cute video series instead of talk to the people in charge about the issues you have. Millennials do that shit - not grown folks.

It's fine, but some of us just fuckin' hate Chris Jericho a lot these days because he's such a pandering "Look at how cool I am" guy and it gives people a bad taste in the mouth.

A fine wrestler, but he's guilty of one or two too many comebacks and now it's more like...stay gone for a while, pal.

alright i got to the one that has an extended segment at the end of one video which consisted of an interviewer asking Miz, HHH, Cena et al. "WHY ISN'T ZACK RYDER ON TV". Feels yuckkkkkkkkkk

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I kind of feel like you're one of the first people to call people out for assuming they know what goes on behind closed doors, yet when you have an opportunity to shit on someone for "complaining on Twitter" when they may have actually talked to Vince and not gotten anywhere you take it without a second thought.

If your discussion with the higher ups didn't go anywhere, it's even WORSE form to complain on Twitter. It's all bad.

But yes you're right, guilty! I'm quick to jump on things I hate, and I hate Zack Ryder complaining on twitter.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I don't buy any of the "can't outsell Cena" or other favoritism bullshit.

This is because Konnan, someone who is nowhere near being a source in this department, suggested that Punk started to outsell Cena's merch so he said WWE got scared, decided to stop making as much money as they can, and keep Cena's product higher.

Because uh...

um, well....

Because it tells CM Punk stans exactly what they want to hear.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
What you're saying is WWE is an awful product top to bottom. I get it.

Except Sheamus and his vanilla midget hating. He's great.

Real Talk:

Without the "Yes Movement", Daniel Bryan would be Dolph Ziggler 2.0.

I don't know, Bryan's strikes actually look legitimate though (as legitimate as wrassles could get). I can't take anything Ziggler does seriously when he's bouncing around like he's on flubber for 95% of the match.

Sephzilla

Young dog trying to prove himself and become the next champ and face of the WWE. That's a character with motivations.

I think his character is more "i'm the rocks cousin and thats why i should win the title".

actually, that's what his heel persona should be

He doesn't even have a chant!

"BOOOOOOO" isn't a chant?

If your discussion with the higher ups didn't go anywhere, it's even WORSE form to complain on Twitter. It's all bad.

If nobody wants to listen to you in a business like WWE that's pretty much writing on the wall that the words FUTURE ENDEVOURS are in your immediate future. At that point why not go to Twitter and try to make some kind of last ditch career saving splash?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of faces with no fucking character, Roman fucking Reigns.

Roman absolutely has character.

He is being told (as of a couple weeks ago) he WILL do something. To BELIEVE in him. And he was going to deliver on that. That it's not all just talk, and he's not just having things handed from him because he is Sah-mowan.

It might not be a character you like, but he has clear motivation and character for being in the upper echelon of wrestlers.

jmdajr

yay my blood sugar levels are kind of high.

Guess that's what happens when you quit on exercise. Time to get back at it again. At least I ain't fat.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
What is Seth Rollins character?

'I want the title and will forsake my friends to get out. Ok I did that and have the title. Now what?'

Hasney

He is being told (as of a couple weeks ago) he WILL do something. To BELIEVE in him. And he was going to deliver on that. That it's not all just talk, and he's not just having things handed from him because he is Sah-mowan.

It might not be a character you like, but he has clear motivation and character for being in the upper echelon of wrestlers.

Dolph Zigglers desire is to steal the show no matter what match on the card he's on. He also thinks some people are turds.

Sephzilla

'I want the title and will forsake my friends to get out. Ok I did that and have the title. Now what?'

"Now I'm going to do whatever it takes to keep it around my waste and prove i'm the best"

He's basically 21st Century Ric Flair without the alcohol and WOO

this is such a load of bs lol

this is no different than ziggler and his will to entertain

XenoRaven

But yes you're right, guilty! I'm quick to jump on things I hate, and I hate Zack Ryder complaining on twitter.
I'm cool with that.

I can see people finding it obnoxious. But in Ryder's case, it was probably either be quietly fired after some Wrestlemania, or channel his frustrations into something unique. If he got fired? Hey same result. But it ended up being successful for him. Here we are, 3-4 years later and he's still on the roster. I think his days are numbered though.

Also, I don't know if you can parallel the WWE environment to a regular work environment. If I show up to work without a shirt, start insulting my boss, and then give him a Stunner, I'm going to get fired. In the WWE, your job is to connect with people so they will want to spend money on the product. Ryder found a way to do that, even if it was in a non-traditional way.

Ryder's treatment felt spiteful to me. He seemed like he was selling merch and driving social media attention during a period where WWE really started caring about that. That said, I can understand it being a message to other talent about going behind leadership's back to try and make a name for himself.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

"and now I'm gonna run from shit for a while. because that's what I do" He's slippery, he gets out of a lot of bullshit.

Dolph Zigglers desire is to steal the show no matter what match on the card he's on. He also thinks some people are turds.

Turd-building is a good addition.

Was Ryder really talking shit about the company in his videos and on Twitter though? Most of the stuff I saw was him using insider terms and self-deprecating humor.

Ryder didn't start doing that stuff until after he got buried. He was very positive until it was obvious that the WWE was never going to do anything with him.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
How can Seth want to prove he's the best when he's not wanting to have matches with his number one contender? He's never even mentioned money. Brock at least has the money motivation.

Let's be real here: The only dudes with even a smidge of real character are the few Superstars tier jobbers who have 80s-90s style Saturday morning cartoon gimmicks.

Fox318

Roman wants to be the champ and be the face of the company. Ziggler wants to show the internet that he can bump that best and doesn't even care about titles.

Not that you'd actually read this but how the hell has Roman wanted to become the face of the company?

All he does is walk through the crowd and spout nursery rimes towards the people in charge of the company.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
this is such a load of bs lol

this is no different than ziggler and his will to entertain

How is that expressed though? Because he has a shirt that says it, or he gets promo time? The last time he had ANYTHING was the Survivor Series win. That was a start.

I'm cool with that.

I can see people finding it obnoxious. But in Ryder's case, it was probably either be quietly fired after some Wrestlemania, or channel his frustrations into something unique. If he got fired? Hey same result. But it ended up being successful for him. Here we are, 3-4 years later and he's still on the roster. I think his days are numbered though.

Also, I don't know if you can parallel the WWE environment to a regular work environment. If I show up to work without a shirt, start insulting my boss, and then give him a Stunner, I'm going to get fired. In the WWE, your job is to connect with people so they will want to spend money on the product. Ryder found a way to do that, even if it was in a non-traditional way.

Ryder's treatment felt spiteful to me. He seemed like he was selling merch and driving social media attention during a period where WWE really started caring about that. That said, I can understand it being a message to other talent about going behind leadership's back to try and make a name for himself.

It definitely was spiteful.

Sephzilla

How can Seth want to prove he's the best when he's not wanting to have matches with his number one contender? He's never even mentioned money. Brock at least has the money motivation.

Heel logic is the longer you keep the belt the better you are, regardless of how/why you keep it

Cesaro is on the opposite side of the spectrum, which is "heel who is a heel because he's mean"

Doesn't help that he latches on to anything with heat and finds himself nowhere after he moves on

Kaladin

I think Seth Rollins is more of the "I've been hand picked to be the future, so I've got to prove it to Triple H, even though I'm untested. So I'll do anything to keep this spot because I've seen what Triple H does to people who can't keep it."

strobogo

Banned
Rollins has a pretty clear character. He sold out everyone to get to the top, and now he's going to do what he can to stay at the top. He's HHH in 1999/2000.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm interested in someone trying to explain Big Show's character, like over the course of his entire career.

he's in it for the money. always has been. signs fat checks does minimal effort.

it's meta as fuck, but big show is nothing if consistent

notworksafe

Just being the champ makes him the best. Now he can move into "I'll do whatever it takes to keep the title short of actually fighting anyone" slimy, cowardly heel territory.

Sephzilla

Rollins is the type of character who will only be dethroned once he gets stuffed in a Hell in a Cell where he can't escape. And it will be an entertaining match when it happens and it will be entertaining when he finally gets beat.

Kaladin

wedsca_attitude.jpg

WWE is advertising that the “First Year” of Monday Night RAW episodes from the Attitude Era will be added to the WWE Network’s video on demand section on April 13th.

This is speculated to be the full year of 1998 episodes judging by the clips shown and perhaps will lead to other full years being added in the near future. April 13th also happens to be the 17th anniversary of the first Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. Mr. McMahon match in 1998.

Oh hell yeah!!!

jmdajr

Funny how Brock was basically meant to be the guy but didn't last very long.

Cena sure took advantage of him not being able to handle the schedule.

But maybe Bork still got the last laugh?

Top Bottom