• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| Porsha! Get my damn shoe!

klonere

Banned
tumblr_nmk4qvBPwC1u9tdblo1_540.jpg

#COYBIG #COYBIG #COYBIG #COYBIG

XenoRaven

I don't hate NXT crowds like some people around here do, but one thing about them that I DO really hate is that they have gotten spoiled on all these indie guys and they've forgotten it's developmental. You're not going to hear me ever talk about how great Baron Corbin is, but chanting "Corbin Reigns" at the guy doesn't do anything except potentially destroy the confidence of a guy that is literally there to learn how to be a good wrestler. If I had to learn my craft while hundreds of people yelled at me and told me how bad I suck then I would probably have a harder time learning.

That said, Mojo Rawley sucks.

Toki767

I don't hate NXT crowds like some people around here do, but one thing about them that I DO really hate is that they have gotten spoiled on all these indie guys and they've forgotten it's developmental. You're not going to hear me ever talk about how great Baron Corbin is, but chanting "Corbin Reigns" at the guy doesn't do anything except potentially destroy the confidence of a guy that is literally there to learn how to be a good wrestler. If I had to learn my craft while hundreds of people yelled at me and told me how bad I suck then I would probably have a harder time learning.

That said, Mojo Rawley sucks.

I can't really blame the NXT crowd for that. HHH is the one playing the game with them by putting all the famous indie guys on NXT to prop up what would be really really crappy developmental roster otherwise.

Take a look at the guys who haven't come up through the indies but instead are homegrown Performance Center guys. You have who? Guys like Baron Corbin, Enzo Amore, Mojo Rawley, etc... who may be entertaining on the mic or have some sort of presence, but are green as grass in the ring.

As soon as Balor, Itami, Owens, and Zayn get called up to the main roster, NXT is basically screwed unless HHH hires more famous indie guys.

So in the past few weeks I've been catching up with Impact Wrestling. I kind of gave up on it after the whole cluster that was the Bischoff/Hogan era, but since they've moved to Destination America, I decided it was time to give them another chance. To my great surprise, the show has actually gotten a little better. I know its due to budgetary reasons but I kind of like the look of the show now, it at least feels different and not just trying to be WWE lite like it was before. I like the in ring product, although I still think its a little too reliant on gimmick matches for the sake of gimmick matches.

For the most part though, I've been somewhat impressed. It's a hell of a lot better than it was the last time I tuned in. Where was this TNA 3 or 4 years ago when they were trying to forge an identity? I would have much rather seen this TNA over the WWE Lite version that it was trying to be when it was on Spike for all those years.

Got around to watching NJPW Invasion Attack 2015. Ibushi and AJ Styles was awesome. AJ really has matured into a pretty great talent and Ibushi is awesome.

Also, the match card for the event that I'm seeing live in Korakuen Hall next week is up on the site.

Kota Ibushi
Shibata Katsuyori
Hiroshi Tanahashi
Togi Makabe
Hirooki Goto

VS
YOSHI-HASHI
Kazushi Sakuraba
Yano
Tomohiro Ishii
Shinsuke Nakamura
---------------------

Gedo
Kazuchika Okada

VS
Tama-Tonga
Bad rack Whare (or Bad Luck Fare // Google Translate strikes again)
-------------------

Tomoaki Honma
Tetsuya Naito

VS
Doc Gallows
"The Machine Gun" Carl Anderson
-----------------------------

KUSHIDA
Satoshi Kojima
Hiroyoshi Tenzan
VS
Cody Hall
Kenny Omega
Yujiro Takahashi

Ryusuke Taguchi
Yuji Nagata
VS
Captain New Japan
Nakanishi

Komatsu Yohei
Mascara Dorada
VS
Valletta
Rocky Romero

Tiger Mask
VS
Tanaka Sho

Stumbled across this cool image earlier that I hadn't seen before;

x1LPemG.jpg

Baba cutting Tenryu's topknot in 1976, after Tenryu left sumo wrestling and signed with All Japan. He was immediately sent to the US to be trained by the Funks in Amarillo and made his debut just a few months later against Ted DiBiase.

Also, the match card for the event that I'm seeing live in Korakuen Hall next week is up on the site.

Gedo
Kazuchika Okada

VS
Tama-Tonga
Bad rack Whare

Nice, enjoy. That should be a good match, I always like Okada & Gedo teaming together and I was impressed with how well Tonga & Fale worked together in the tag league last December.

Toki767

Impact is the 4th best wrestling show on TV currently.

1st is Lucha Underground
2nd is New Japan
3rd is NXT
4th is Impact
5th is Raw
6th is Smackdown

Bear in mind, there is a large drop in quality between Impact and Raw.

Building your roster around relatively smaller guys makes your Big Shows and Khalis even more of an attraction by comparison.

Wrestling is stupid, might as well embrace the stupidity and not care about smaller guys beating bigger guys.

Ithil

I can't really blame the NXT crowd for that. HHH is the one playing the game with them by putting all the famous indie guys on NXT to prop up what would be really really crappy developmental roster otherwise.

Take a look at the guys who haven't come up through the indies but instead are homegrown Performance Center guys. You have who? Guys like Baron Corbin, Enzo Amore, Mojo Rawley, etc... who may be entertaining on the mic or have some sort of presence, but are green as grass in the ring.

As soon as Balor, Itami, Owens, and Zayn get called up to the main roster, NXT is basically screwed unless HHH hires more famous indie guys.

Well he already is. Uhaa Nation just got signed, they're looking at Joey Samoey, etc.

Nice, enjoy. That should be a good match, I always like Okada & Gedo teaming together and I was impressed with how well Tonga & Fale worked together in the tag league last December.

Very much amped for it. Okada and Gedo are always great value.

I'm completely amped for the show in general. Can't wait to go to Korakuen Hall for the first time.

Jamie OD

House show over. After intermission was a 6 Diva tag: Natalya, Emma & Rosa Vs Summer, Cameron & Fox. The idea of Rosa Vs Cameron is catastrophic but nothing of note happened. Miz Vs Mizdow with a lot of promo work before the match. Mizdow was back to using intellectual vocabulary and saying "You're welcome" but is still doing some of the Miz copycat gimmick. Main event was Roman Vs Show in a No DQ match. Roman was cheered. Show went through two tables. People went home happy but I think there were plenty of kids wondering where Cena was. The show met expectations, Balor and Neville got great reactions, Sheamus' heel turn worked a treat, Bryan got the loudest reaction. Good fun overall.

It's why CJ Parker quit. Was going nowhere as a home grown guy.

Toki767

The women's situation in NXT also basically mirrors the men's situation. You have all the women who started in other promotions (Paige, Sasha, Becky, Bayley, Emma) and then the ones who are homegrown in the Performance Center (Alexa, Summer, Dana, Carmella). Crowd is being spoiled with the first group but most of them have moved on or going to be to the main roster and they're going to be left with the latter group.

The only outlier is Charlotte who didn't wrestle outside WWE but let's face it. She's Ric Flair's daughter so she's more of an exception than a rule.

Kaladin

She could. But that's really only if Vince wants her to.

A lot of people said the same shit about Emma and Paige before they were called up. WWE Creative will find a way to make her nothing more than another pretty face.

I don't know. The Flair name is hard to deny.

Plus, they're already showing signs of positioning her differently than other divas.

They had her in that Tapout commercial, and they have trademarked the term "Athlete diva" or something like that.

I think they're going to push Charlotte strong when she debuts, kinda like Beth Pheonix.

It's what they do with her after that matters though.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Charlotte is going to be the Orton to Paige's Cena for the next 5 years brehs. Don't get your hopes up for more than that.

Toki767

I don't know. The Flair name is hard to deny.

Plus, they're already showing signs of positioning her differently than other divas.

They had her in that Tapout commercial, and they have trademarked the term "Athlete diva" or something like that.

I think they're going to push Charlotte strong when she debuts, kinda like Beth Pheonix.

It's what they do with her after that matters though.

It's not as though they call her Charlotte Flair. They dropped her last name before even getting called up.

As for the Tapout commercial, Alicia Fox is in that thing too.

They need something really memorable for Charlotte but I just don't see it happening. Other than getting rid of the term "diva" and going back to the women's title which they could probably just let Madusa come out and present the title to her or something.

They're never getting rid of the term "diva" though even though the term is mostly used to describe female singers somewhat negatively more than positively.

Kaladin

They don't call her Flair, but they don't hide her lineage either.

I don't know, Charlotte just has "it" and the ability to get people invested in what she does in the ring, which is rare with divas.

They don't call her Flair, but they don't hide her lineage either.

I don't know, Charlotte just has "it" and the ability to get people invested in what she does in the ring, which is rare with divas.

Hard for people to get invested in your ringwork when you're only granted about 90 seconds for a match.

Kaladin

Hard for people to get invested in your ringwork when you're only granted about 90 seconds for a match.

Hard but not impossible.

There hasn't really been any diva in recent memory who can give someone who has never seen them a 5 minute match and make that person say "this girl needs more screen time."

I think Charlotte could do that.

Toki767

Hard but not impossible.

There hasn't really been any diva in recent memory who can give someone who has never seen them a 5 minute match and make that person say "this girl needs more screen time."

I think Charlotte could do that.
Like her match with Natalya on Raw? That sure didn't leave people who have never seen her wanting more.

Kaladin

Like her match with Natalya on Raw? That sure didn't leave people who have never seen her wanting more.

That's not a good judge and you know it. That was an NXT showcase, likely a last minute thing thrown out there to fill time because they were there.

Wait till she is on the main roster.

Top Bottom