• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| Porsha! Get my damn shoe!

Kaladin

Is Roman Reigns even a person if his head is shaved?

He becomes a samoan Luther Reigns

mattwiese.jpg

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The funniest thing about WWE when they remove match types or moves to 'prevent accidents' or whatever is they always ignore the thing that actually IS the most dangerous part about their jobs. The schedule.

Work in off-seasons, and I bet you'll find a lot less dead wrestlers.

BJW3.31-6.gif

klonere

Banned
raw was awful

two biggest stars stuck feuding with kane and big show

think this is the time to cut Raw from the Tuesday morning viewing schedule

Kaladin

Did you know?

WWE logic says getting a rub from a long time WWE Superstar helps get younger talent over. When you look at the WWE roster, the longest running Superstars are Big Show, Kane and Mark Henry. Big Show and Kane are "bigger names" so it is good to pair younger talent with them in a capacity that helps get them over.

Heroman

Banned
The funniest thing about WWE when they remove match types or moves to 'prevent accidents' or whatever is they always ignore the thing that actually IS the most dangerous part about their jobs. The schedule.

Work in off-seasons, and I bet you'll find a lot less dead wrestlers.

BJW3.31-6.gif
How is that crowd not hype for that?

Well, the WOTW Night Two card is looking pretty stupid.

Page vs. Watanabe? Duuuumb. Page is meh and Watanabe is just lame so far.

Elgin vs. KUSHIDA? WHAT? I thought Elgin vs. Naito was bad...

Naito vs. O'Reilly? Less stupid then Naito/Elgin, but O'Reilly is just so goddamn bland.

Roddy Strong vs. Tanahashi? ...Okay, you get this one.

Thinking about what's left...

Liger vs. Fish would be fun as all fucking hell.

AJ and the Young Bucks vs. Cole, Taven, and Bennet makes sense and might be fun.

Mark Briscoe vs. Nak for the IC belt

Jay Briscoe vs. Okada for the ROH title also makes sense, but I dunno if NJPW will let Okada put Briscoe over.

jred2k

Well, the WOTW Night Two card is looking pretty stupid.

Page vs. Watanabe? Duuuumb. Page is meh and Watanabe is just lame so far.

Elgin vs. KUSHIDA? WHAT? I thought Elgin vs. Naito was bad...

Naito vs. O'Reilly? Less stupid then Naito/Elgin, but O'Reilly is just so goddamn bland.

Roddy Strong vs. Tanahashi? ...Okay, you get this one.

I don't understand the partnership. The matchups should elevate the ROH talent, but I think it just devalues the NJ talent. I look at that Elgin/Naito match and just wonder who Naito pissed off.

I don't know what that is but welcome back.

The Destiny expansion House of Wolves.

Naito's probably going to give Elgin the best match of his career, so from an ROH perspective that's a good match-up. Same goes for Naito vs O'Reilly. But, truth be told, the ROH roster is just a bit too shit to do anything but mostly devalue the New Japan talent, especially guys like Naito who won't be at all protected. Also, no way Okada does the job.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I really am looking forward to Mark and Nak facing off. Jay and Okadder should be nice, but Mark's always been the better Briscoe.

Zach

I think I'm going to start chronologically watching WWF again. I don't really care about including the '97 RAWs in my beautiful, horrible journey. I'm down with just watching the RAW highlights and then grading the full PPVs.

I'm still holding out for the '97 Nitros before watching any more WCW, though. v_v

So what do you guys think? Good idea? Bad idea? No one cares?

Toki767

Naito's probably going to give Elgin the best match of his career, so from an ROH perspective that's a good match-up. Same goes for Naito vs O'Reilly. But, truth be told, the ROH roster is just a bit too shit to do anything but mostly devalue the New Japan talent, especially guys like Naito who won't be at all protected. Also, no way Okada does the job.

The situation honestly reminds me of that Meltzer blurb someone put up yesterday about WWE/All Japan doing an event except this time, none of the New Japan guys would really get anything for beating ROH guys but ROH guys would look great beating New Japan guys.

Incidentally, I like Daniels. I kinda like Kaz. But The Addiction have been severely underwhelming - I'd argue that the World's Greatest Tag Team put on more quality matches in their ROH run than The Addiction have, yet for some reason Kaz & Daniels seem immune to the abuse that got so heavily heaped upon Shelton & Charlie.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Incidentally, I like Daniels. I kinda like Kaz. But The Addiction have been severely underwhelming - I'd argue that the World's Greatest Tag Team put on more quality matches in their ROH run than The Addiction have, yet for some reason Kaz & Daniels seem immune to the abuse that got so heavily heaped upon Shelton & Charlie.

Their years at TNA make people feel they've been beat up a lot. That, and they were some of the most watchable parts of a generally unwatchable show. There's credit in their bank.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
How Sinclair managed to talk NJPW into the partnership is still the most baffling thing to me. What has been gained from it? Gedo getting to have Maria dance on his table while he throws money at her? All of their major gaijins from recent years came on their own and hadn't been 'ROH guys' in years.

Sucks that Morishima has to retire, but I can't say that I'm going to miss him. He's been completely forgettable for most of his career from what seems like lack of trying going by his failed WWE tryout and some of JR's opinions on him as well as me just watching him. Seems like he plateaued before even winning the GHC title then proceeded to coast. Just means Kenou can take over the faction.

Kaladin

Maybe they will work better as KRD with Sabin.

XenoRaven

I'm happy Fandango is sort of a jobber and doesn't win much because I'd hate for him to have to do a top rope leg drop 4-5 nights a week. As much as talk as there is about concussions and neck injuries, it's totally ok for a guy to fuck up his spine because there's not a social taboo.

How Sinclair managed to talk NJPW into the partnership is still the most baffling thing to me. What has been gained from it? Gedo getting to have Maria dance on his table while he throws money at her? All of their major gaijins from recent years came on their own and hadn't been 'ROH guys' in years.

Obviously NJPW wants some level of American presence, but WWE is isolationist and TNA is such a huge fuckup of a promotion that working with them would do more harm than good, so ROH is probably their best option. I imagine that if GFW manages to get off the ground and manages to be more competent that TNA that they'll probably end their deal with ROH in favor of GFW.

klonere

Banned
I think I'm going to start chronologically watching WWF again. I don't really care about including the '97 RAWs in my beautiful, horrible journey. I'm down with just watching the RAW highlights and then grading the full PPVs.

I'm still holding out for the '97 Nitros before watching any more WCW, though. v_v

So what do you guys think? Good idea? Bad idea? No one cares?

I've been slowly doing the same - started out in 97 watching some bootleg Raws alongside the PPVs. Its rough early in 97, Vince is kinda unbearable on commentary, they are still shedding a lot of the New Generation stuff and the wrestling is intensely boring most of the time. The payoff is great though, you get to see the small bits of the Attitude era come together slowly but surely. I just imagine Vince watching ECW tapes, inviting them in for a few shows and saying to himself "I'm going to do that!".

I was most surprised that Watanabe didn't have a regular place with ROH - seemed like that would be a major sticking point of their deal, as he's had such an underwhelming excursion compared to Hiromu (27 matches vs 115!!).

If GFW ever becomes a real thing, I'd expect New Japan to brush off ROH fairly quickly.

Seems like he plateaued before even winning the GHC title then proceeded to coast. Just means Kenou can take over the faction.

They took too long to pull the trigger on him, then by the time they did it didn't really matter - Misawa took the fall in their 3rd encounter, but he was old and beat up. It didn't mean much to the fans, plus the booking of Morishima's 'feud' with Misawa would have had Baba shaking his head. It should have been that generation's Jumbo vs Misawa, instead it was nothing. Kobashi wasn't in a position to help, either, what with his deteriorating condition and the fact that he wasn't often paired with Morishima, due to Shima being seen as Misawa's student. That just left Taue and, as much as I love the guy, he couldn't do it on his own, while Akiyama's never been over enough to truly make a star like Misawa & Kobashi potentially could and should have.

While the Four Pillars are undoubtedly legends of Japanese wrestling, none of them managed to do what Baba & Jumbo did and create a generation of stars to lead the company after they were gone.

Top Bottom