• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| Porsha! Get my damn shoe!

How Sinclair managed to talk NJPW into the partnership is still the most baffling thing to me. What has been gained from it? Gedo getting to have Maria dance on his table while he throws money at her? All of their major gaijins from recent years came on their own and hadn't been 'ROH guys' in years.

Sucks that Morishima has to retire, but I can't say that I'm going to miss him. He's been completely forgettable for most of his career from what seems like lack of trying going by his failed WWE tryout and some of JR's opinions on him as well as me just watching him. Seems like he plateaued before even winning the GHC title then proceeded to coast. Just means Kenou can take over the faction.

It might be a simple lack of other options. GFW isn't running yet. TNA is a shitshow, and they had a bad experience with Okada working in TNA. WWE's off the table. JAPW's worked with New Japan before, but that was practically a lifetime ago. That leaves ROH as the de facto choice for partner in the US.

Morishima was fun to watch, but his style was unsustainable because he insisted on doing that top rope dropkick every match I would see him in.

CDIvVbjWgAApOBA.jpg

Okay, this has potential, as long as Gedo isn't in the ring.

I think I'm going to start chronologically watching WWF again. I don't really care about including the '97 RAWs in my beautiful, horrible journey. I'm down with just watching the RAW highlights and then grading the full PPVs.

I'm still holding out for the '97 Nitros before watching any more WCW, though. v_v

So what do you guys think? Good idea? Bad idea? No one cares?

I'd just hold out for the 97 Nitros. I'm just about finished with WCW in 94 and my God is it terrible.

After listening to Steven Regal on a podcast last week, I watched the youtube video interview conducted back in Feb 2015. The dude has had in interesting life.

FStop7

Banned
Are "finishers" even that relevant in the WWE, anyhow? I just got back into watching wrestling since around WM14. The first thing that jumped out at me about the WWE is that it now seems to be built around the Goldberg model - tank sized guys who wrestle stiff. And they basically trade finishers for 15 minutes.

Naito's probably going to give Elgin the best match of his career, so from an ROH perspective that's a good match-up. Same goes for Naito vs O'Reilly. But, truth be told, the ROH roster is just a bit too shit to do anything but mostly devalue the New Japan talent, especially guys like Naito who won't be at all protected. Also, no way Okada does the job.

Completely agreed, maybe 3-4 years ago when their biggest names hadn't jumped to TNA/WWE and we might be talking turkey, but the NJPW roster is so far ahead of ROH's it's ridiculous. Hell, the best match of the weekend so far is Hiroshi "God of New Japan" Tanahashi vs. Roderick "I haven't been relevant since 2010" Strong.

Actually, scratch that, the Briscoes vs. Nak and Okada is easily the best match of the weekend and I can find no fault with it.

NJPW can't work with GFW because Jarrett I'd going to work with triple A. And new japan works with CMLL

If Jarrett gets a good enough TV deal that can be worked around. Fantasticmania and the chance to tour in Japan are some of the biggest things that CMLL has right now. If New Japan wants to send guys to GFW I can't imagine CMLL ending the partnership over that. But they won't unless Double J can make a better offer than ROH.

I was most surprised that Watanabe didn't have a regular place with ROH - seemed like that would be a major sticking point of their deal, as he's had such an underwhelming excursion compared to Hiromu (27 matches vs 115!!).

Just a month or two ago this "tour" was going to be the Bullet Club and two or three Japanese guys. So ROH didn't really have an incentive to help New Japan out. Given how much more interest there is this year I wouldn't be surprised if ROH is willing to book Tanaka or Komatsu. Assuming they both don't go to Mexico as a tag team or something.

NJPW isn't exactly adverse to misusing talent itself.
Kushida.jpg

mascaradorada_fp02_zpsb6dc8d4b.png

a99136345c489c1c9dcd4339a85d451a.jpg

KUSHIDA is still young, he's already a multi-time tag champ and although his Jr. singles title reign was forgettable he could easily bounce back. He's my pick to with the BOSJ this year.

Dorada's main allegiance will always be to CMLL, he's never going to be a full-time star in New Japan.

Naito...yeah, I got nothing. Totally on point there DW.

Also:
Screen-Shot.png

NJPW can't work with GFW because Jarrett I'd going to work with triple A. And new japan works with CMLL

New Japan likely wouldn't allow their wrestlers to work on cards with AAA talent due to their relationship with CMLL (which was strained recently by the Mr. Niebla shit during Fantasticamania this year), but there's no reason they can't use GFW to promote future PPVs in the west, bring in gaijin talent from other promotions under the GFW banner and provide a network of promotions for their young lions to head to on their learning excursions.

NJPW isn't exactly adverse to misusing talent itself.
Kushida.jpg

mascaradorada_fp02_zpsb6dc8d4b.png

a99136345c489c1c9dcd4339a85d451a.jpg

Well, I'll give you Naito, but Dorada's just started full-time and KUSHIDA was set for a big push until he concussed Ibushi and Ricochet fucked off to Lucha Underground before giving him his win back.

Just a month or two ago this "tour" was going to be the Bullet Club and two or three Japanese guys. So ROH didn't really have an incentive to help New Japan out. Given how much more interest there is this year I wouldn't be surprised if ROH is willing to book Tanaka or Komatsu. Assuming they both don't go to Mexico as a tag team or something.

Can't see Tanaka going to Mexico, they're building him to be a heavyweight, I think. Komatsu will probably do what Hiromu Takahashi has; go to Europe for a few months for that technical wrestling, then head to CMLL.

Zach

I've been slowly doing the same - started out in 97 watching some bootleg Raws alongside the PPVs. Its rough early in 97, Vince is kinda unbearable on commentary, they are still shedding a lot of the New Generation stuff and the wrestling is intensely boring most of the time. The payoff is great though, you get to see the small bits of the Attitude era come together slowly but surely. I just imagine Vince watching ECW tapes, inviting them in for a few shows and saying to himself "I'm going to do that!".

I'd just hold out for the 97 Nitros. I'm just about finished with WCW in 94 and my God is it terrible.

Yeah, I think I'll start up the '97 Rumble and see how I feel. And yes, wrestling in '94 and '95 is, overall, so bad. It's so strange that it's sandwiched between '92/'93 and '96/'97, which are overall the best times for me.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Well, I'll give you Naito, but Dorada's just started full-time and KUSHIDA was set for a big push until he concussed Ibushi and Ricochet fucked off to Lucha Underground before giving him his win back.

I'm glad NJPW punishes people for injuring others.
tumblr_n70gtaDb9q1ty9orqo1_500.gif

Just like they pulled back on Naito's push for getting a bad reaction from smarks. Then they did the fair thing and pulled back on Okada when he got booed for attacking AJ... Oh...

Yeah, I think I'll start up the '97 Rumble and see how I feel. And yes, wrestling in '94 and '95 is, overall, so bad. It's so strange that it's sandwiched between '92/'93 and '96/'97, which are overall the best times for me.

WWF is pretty much gold from WrestleMania X to Summerslam 94 because of the awesome Bret/Owen and Shawn/Diesel/Razor feuds. WCW started hot in 94 with Flair/Vader but when Hogan came in it was all downhill until the NWO.

Dorada is an NJPW full timer now? Huh.

Still picking KUSHIDA to win BOSJ and take the title from Kenny.

Someone here said it best. ROH should do a special attraction match with Richards vs Shibata. Instant 5* classic.

The funniest thing about WWE when they remove match types or moves to 'prevent accidents' or whatever is they always ignore the thing that actually IS the most dangerous part about their jobs. The schedule.

Work in off-seasons, and I bet you'll find a lot less dead wrestlers.

BJW3.31-6.gif

holy shit

Can't see Tanaka going to Mexico, they're building him to be a heavyweight, I think. Komatsu will probably do what Hiromu Takahashi has; go to Europe for a few months for that technical wrestling, then head to CMLL.

They clearly need new heavyweights but Tanaka would be super small. He's 2 or 3 inches shorter than Naito or Goto even. He could get there but its going to several years of 'supplements'.

I'm glad NJPW punishes people for injuring others.

I didn't say that, but it can't have helped his standing - Ibushi had to pull out of the G1, remember, which was a big blow (even though Honma killed it in his place because, y'know, he's awesome). Also, KUSHIDA likely would have gotten his push regardless, had Ricochet returned.

Just like they pulled back on Naito's push for getting a bad reaction from smarks. Then they did the fair thing and pulled back on Okada when he got booed for attacking AJ... Oh...

They pulled back on putting Naito AND Okada in the top-spot for the biggest show of the year - you act like this was only detrimental to Naito, when the fact is that neither guy has proved themselves to be a Tokyo Dome-level draw without Tanahashi or Nakamura holding their hand an THAT's the reason they didn't have the confidence to go through with their plans. Also, the AJ situation isn't comparable, as he just isn't over as a heel any more.

Dorada is an NJPW full timer now? Huh.

Just for a year. Whether they extend the agreement beyond that, who knows. But Dorada will likely return to CMLL.

They clearly need new heavyweights but Tanaka would be super small. He's 2 or 3 inches shorter than Naito or Goto even. He could get there but its going to several years of 'supplements'.

Watanabe wasn't too big when he left on his excursion either, but he's bulked up a lot in the past 2-3 years.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Dorada should have run through every single Bullet Club junior. Like this guy is this CMLL big shot who's won everything there is to win. Instead, he just shows up to lose to MegaWeaboo with no build-up and promptly goes back to the 'who cares' opener trios.

I loved watching Tenzan at the last 6 man basically go out of his way to help KUSHIDA get over because of how fucked over he got. Passed down the Mongolian Chop to the young KUSHIDA

edit: Richards would look like a joke next to Shibata.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
And I know someone was saying Nakamura was untouchable on Gaf, but his match with Nagata recently was super underwhelming.

And it wasn't Nagata's fault.

Dorada should have run through every single Bullet Club junior. Like this guy is this CMLL big shot who's won everything there is to win. Instead, he just shows up to lose to MegaWeaboo with no build-up and promptly goes back to the 'who cares' opener trios.

From what I gather from lucha fans, Dorada's hardly booked as a big shot. He has the welterweight belt, a title so meaningless CMLL gave no shits that he didn't even drop it before he left for Japan, and the general perception is that he's a fantastic talent CMLL greatly under-utilise. Now, La Sombra - he is a big shot, which would go some way to explaining why he beat Nakamura and held the IWGP Intercontinental Title, whereas Dorada's putting over Omega for New Japan's jr. belt.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Dorada hold the IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title at least once before this excursion's up.

And I know someone was saying Nakamura was untouchable on Gaf, but his match with Nagata recently was super underwhelming.

And it wasn't Nagata's fault.

Agreed, Nak deserved a lot of flak for that match, but people mostly wrote it up to Nagata's age. Nakamura is fantastic, but he can also go off the boil in a big way. I think the last truly great singles match he had was the G1 final.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Agreed, Nak deserved a lot of flak for that match, but people mostly wrote it up to Nagata's age. Nakamura is fantastic, but he can also go off the boil in a big way. I think the last truly great singles match he had was the G1 final.

I think newer people often are mixing up Nakamura's charisma with his ability to wrestle. He's a great wrestler when he wants to be, but anyone who watched NJPW before his CMLL excursion knows he can phone it in big time. It's why Tanahashi took the ace role so handily from him because Nakamura had several matches where he phoned it in where as Tanahashi was always trying to improve even if he didn't start great. The Orton/Cena parallels have been going on forever for both NJPW and WWE.

The idea of blaming Nagata is insane to me because there are basically 4 guys in Japan who can work with ANYONE. Nagata, Sugiura, Tanaka, and Kojima. And those guys are super vets who take EVERY match super seriously because of the environment they were trained in. So if you're on Nakamura's level and you have an underwhelming match with them? Guess what? You're being lazy.

somedevil

Here are some big Lucha underground Spoilers for the season finale show. Be warned:

-Mil Muertes defeated Prince Puma in the final match of the taping to become the new Lucha Underground Champion.

-A Lucha Underground Gift of the Gods match took place featuring Big Ryck, Aerostar, Fenix, Bengala, King Cuerno, Sexy Star and Jack Evans.

Fenix won the match and the Lucha Underground Gift of the Gods which is supposedly a title shot.

-Johnny Mundo defeated Alberto El Patron in a match taped for the finale.

-Vampiro and Pentagon, Jr wrestled a hardcore match which was described as “awesome.” Pentagon picked up the win, and the bout featured a flaming table spot at one point.

Lucha loves there gimmick matches. So much so from one set of tapings they took one from Vince Russo that he did in TNA.

Plus no season 2 announcement. The question is will it get the funding to do a 2nd season?

Just got my tickets for the last two Super Jr dates. I got Special Ringside seats, but they don't look like ringside seats. Has anybody been to Korakuen or yoyogi National Gymnasium 2?

JavyOO7

If I understood Observer podcasts correctly, LU not doing enough to bring in money for El Rey. But its ratings are great with Uni Mas. Maybe Univision funds LU for season two or something.

RP912

Banned
I'm sorry but this is probably the worst looking card for a interpromotional event I have ever seen.

No Bata, No Yano, No Funky Weapon....wtf??

Perfectly good waste of Nakamura.

RevPro > ROH. Nakamura vs Ricochet will probably be better than most matches on the ROH/NJPW shows.

Gotta agree with you here. Cole vs Styles will be excellent but I don't consider that to be ROH vs NJPW. Briscoes vs Okada/Nak should be a fun bout but really, that is it. Looking forward to Night 1. Night 2 can stick it. So is doing the show at the beginning of the week. Thumbs down.

NoRéN

Here are some big Lucha underground Spoilers for the season finale show. Be warned:

Lucha loves there gimmick matches. So much so from one set of tapings they took one from Vince Russo that he did in TNA.

Plus no season 2 announcement. The question is will it get the funding to do a 2nd season?

And here I was keeping quiet and everything gets posted. :)

XenoRaven

No Taguchi should be a selling point. Like on the card, after each match it should say "Not featuring Taguchi" in parenthesis. Bam, thousands of ticket sales right there.

Top Bottom