• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| Porsha! Get my damn shoe!

Thank goodness Boots listed Saint and Mick McManus.

How are the likes of Jody Fleisch and Jonny Storm remembered?

Is El Ligero too new to make a current fave five?

I'm a little surprised the ex-Pac now Adrian Neville and Doug Williams made no list. They seemed like the shining stars of British exported indy wrestling for the 2000s.

Shit, I missed Ligero! Ligero has been around for at least 10 years now, is basically ubiquitous across the country.

Neville should have been on my notable list as well.

As for Fleisch and Storm, I don't know if it would be fair to say they were big fish in small ponds.

Sephzilla

indeed.no show hijacking.

Cheering and booing who you want instead of who Vince tells you to cheer and boo for = hijacking

tumblr_nn50wgIGLt1unu9zio1_400.gif

Roman needs to turn heel and start a tag team with Bo Dallas

I only saw MK once at a Rev Pro show, had a not great match with Marty and don't think he's been back since, anything good of his on YT?

Unfortunately not, Fight Club:pRO aren't great at uploading stuff to youtube - most recent is a match from three years ago, hah. He had a good 2/3 falls match with Zack at RevPro's 2013 Summer Sizzler, also had a good match for FCP against Johnny Gargano. I saw him on the CHIKARA pre-show vs Drew Gulak and came away very impressed with his ability, but he doesn't seem to get booked outside FCP, which is a shame.

How are the likes of Jody Fleisch and Jonny Storm remembered?

They're remembered (along with Doug Williams) as the best guys from the late 90's, early 2000's era, but it was a bad time for British wrestling. They're all pretty well respected though, especially Doug.

Is El Ligero too new to make a current fave five?

Nah, Ligero's been about for a while now and is one of the most booked wrestlers in the country. I probably should have mentioned him.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Here's a wrasslegaf question,

Doc or Bam Bam? I gotta go with Gordy even though Williams probably had more quality one on one matches. Gordy had that Brock Lesnar super athlete/freak of nature genetics. He could have been running wrestling if he dialed back on the drugs. Sucks that he got influenced by that stuff when he wasn't even fully an adult

jmdajr

So MayWeather and Paquio still hasn't signed their contact?

This would never happen in WWE!

Just get that thing signed and go through some tables. easy!

Sephzilla

So MayWeather and Paquio still hasn't signed their contact?

This would never happen in WWE!

Just get that thing signed and go through some tables. easy!

This is exactly what would happen in WWE. Vince would tease something fans actually want and then not deliver.

jmdajr

Like that Big Dave title run upon his return. And before you say "No one wanted that" all 3 of us in BatistaGAF wanted it.

Can't remember too well. But I think I was quite shocked how harsh the fans treated him.

It's not like he was going to come back and be Chris Jericho or RVD. They wanted something more meaningful for him.

Cagey

Banned
Can't remember too well. But I think I was quite shocked how harsh the fans treated him.

It's not like he was going to come back and be Chris Jericho or RVD. They wanted something more meaningful for him.

We all know the man to blame for this.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The fans treatment of Batista was pretty embarrassing in retrospect. 'WWE doesn't want my guy to get over? Well we'll hijack it so somebody else's guy doesn't get over! WE WANT WRESTLING'

Sephzilla

The fans treatment of Batista was pretty embarrassing in retrospect. 'WWE doesn't want my guy to get over? Well we'll hijack it so somebody else's guy doesn't get over! WE WANT WRESTLING'

A guy who leaves as the top heel and gets booed comes back and gets booed. News at 11

Face Batista sucks anyway

Xater

I don't like Batista. If that's what it takes to never see him in a wrestling ring again, good riddance.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Here's a wrasslegaf question,

Doc or Bam Bam? I gotta go with Gordy even though Williams probably had more quality one on one matches. Gordy had that Brock Lesnar super athlete/freak of nature genetics. He could have been running wrestling if he dialed back on the drugs. Sucks that he got influenced by that stuff when he wasn't even fully an adult

I liked Williams. A lot. But Gordy was a mutant, one of those one in a million talents. Doc was dope as hell, and fun as shit to watch but there was something about Gordy that was just...incredibly special. RIP.

Yup.

Should have listened and just have given the fans what they wanted right off the bat. Then we could have avoided all that hijack bullshit.

Entitled millenials to a tee.

It was pretty sad. Batista did a lot for wrestling. He absolutely didn't deserve to be the one to take care of Bryan obsessives' temper tantrums and whining.

Shit, I guess Boots may be right. I like Bryan but I wish his obsessive fans would shut the fuck up forever and stop ruining the show.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
A guy who leaves as the top heel and gets booed comes back and gets booed. News at 11

Face Batista sucks anyway

Smark fans throw a fit about their guy not getting pushed and instead of just doing the mature thing and accepting it and watching something else, they go out of their way to shit on someone else. News at 11.

Sephzilla

Jesus, now people are saying Batista got shafted? And you guys complain about WWE's revisionist history.

Smark fans throw a fit about their guy not getting pushed and instead of just doing the mature thing and accepting it and watching something else, they go out of their way to shit on someone else. News at 11.

It wasn't just smarks, it was basically everyone. Bryan was the most over man in the company going into WM30 and nobody else was even close to him.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
What is wrong with that? And it was more than just smarks.

Clearly some people liked Batista. He was a huge draw when he was there in the past and put Smackdown entirely on his shoulders, whether you like his work or not. It's wrong because it's speaking for others. You seriously think EVERYONE hated Batista's return? If WWE is forcing someone down your throat you can just stop watching. If the fanbase is getting chants over(Which isn't hard, see Fandango chants) and constantly trying to get themselves or their faves over while you're trying to watch a guy you want to see? That's problematic. Because you want to see your guy, but the dipshit in the Bullet Club shirt next to you paid money solely so he could chant Bluetista and fuck your day up.

It's like people who aren't happy enough that they're miserable. They want EVERYONE ELSE to be miserable with them.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
"Wasn't even that over when he was in his prime"

Don't talk shit about Batista. He's amazing. Has been for a LONG time.

Two very memorable, huge moments were the time he gave Ric and Trips the thumbs down - that shit had the crowd eating out of his palm at about 3:00:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9VlyKYUudQ

And of course Batista's LEGENDARY retirement - the best retirement I've ever seen in my life:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAXEmd3uOIE

Absolutely magnificent.

Xater

Shit, I guess Boots may be right. I like Bryan but I wish his obsessive fans would shut the fuck up forever and stop ruining the show.

Bryan fans have nothing to do with Divas matches being shat on or people booing Kane and Big Show. WWE has done a bang up job at ruining their own product.

I am more shocked people just can't move on from WWE and watch other stuff. Are people just that lazy? Hell they are probably dozens of people here that watch RAW every week just to live chat in this thread how shit it is. I don't get it. If people actually walked away I bet the product would change real fast.

I am no longer wasting my time with the product. I only know what's happening because I don't know of any decent wrestling podcast that discusses everything but WWE.

PS: Batista always sucked. There is nothing I liked about Batista ever. The only good thing he has ever done is play Draxx.

Sephzilla

Batista coming back after a 4 year layoff and getting handed the WrestleMania 30 main event over the guy who had been massively over with everyone for over a year was bullshit and everyone saw through that (not just smarks). It also didn't help that Batista couldn't go more than 5 minutes without being gassed as fuck, and that Batista left the company previously as the #1 heel.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus, now people are saying Batista got shafted? And you guys complain about WWE's revisionist history.

It wasn't just smarks, it was basically everyone. Bryan was the most over man in the company going into WM30 and nobody else was even close to him.

What is wrong with that? And it was more than just smarks.

It was smarks. They turned out en masse to support a guy with a beard, because they felt that common bond of "too lazy to cut this fucking thing" and wanted to live vicariously believing they could be someone without sacrificing their beard, or as they call it, their "identity" - pretty sad.

If your whole being boils down to your facial hair, you're empty inside and without personality.

Regarding Sephziller mentioning revisionist history, revisionist history is trying to paint Batista as a complete heel the whole time, when he wasn't. Typically anyone coming back is a face instantly - remember the great pains Jericho went to to get booed when he first showed up with his little sparkle jacket? He had to come out for weeks to troll people. It's just the way it is. And Bateaster did get a big pop on his return, and a ratings bump. He's a draw, for sure, but he fits best as a heel, you'll get no argument out of me.

Sephzilla

Rocky gets gassed after 5 minutes, you all love him.

*Ahem*

I've said on multiple occasions that "two matches in 7 years and gets gassed in 5 minutes" Rock coming back and ending Punks title reign was also dumb as fuck.

It was smarks. They turned out en masse to support a guy with a beard, because they felt that common bond of "too lazy to cut this fucking thing" and wanted to live vicariously believing they could be someone without sacrificing their beard, or as they call it, their "identity" - pretty sad.

If your whole being boils down to your facial hair, you're empty inside and without personality.

Regarding Sephziller mentioning revisionist history, revisionist history is trying to paint Batista as a complete heel the whole time, when he wasn't. Typically anyone coming back is a face instantly - remember the great pains Jericho went to to get booed when he first showed up with his little sparkle jacket? He had to come out for weeks to troll people. It's just the way it is. And Bateaster did get a big pop on his return, and a ratings bump. He's a draw, for sure, but he fits best as a heel, you'll get no argument out of me.

If it was just smarks #Bootista would have died really quickly.

Jericho's entire troll gimmick was based around the idea that anyone who comes back returns as a face. He didn't go through "great pains" to do what he did.

Well he is usually looking at two different things at once so it is hard to tell
I declined to make that joke because his eyes look somewhat normal in that pic lol.

Wearing basketball jerseys to the game is always a mental struggle. Do you wear the shirt under it or go sleeveless. I feel neither is the right call. Hockey is so much easier.
NBA feels your pain, that's why they created and are doubling down on the sleeved jerseys.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Batista coming back after a 4 year layoff and getting handed the WrestleMania 30 main event over the guy who had been massively over with everyone for over a year was bullshit and everyone saw through that (not just smarks). It also didn't help that Batista couldn't go more than 5 minutes without being gassed as fuck, and that Batista left the company previously as the #1 heel.

It's not the fans' call who gets titles

If they were like that, Kerry would have won the world championship from Flair that night in the steel cage. But the effects of him NOT getting it were huge and significant and all part of the plan.

Being upset Batista returns for one more run, especially when he is a main event talent, is silly. You had that empty vessel Dolph Ziggler be WHC for a time. Fans are entitled. Sometimes you need to be denied what you want in order to make the payoff that much sweeter. And it was sweet at Mania 30. You can't deny that was sweet.

XenoRaven

It's not the fans' call who gets titles

If they were like that, Kerry would have won the world championship from Flair that night in the steel cage. But the effects of him NOT getting it were huge and significant and all part of the plan.

Being upset Batista returns for one more run, especially when he is a main event talent, is silly. You had that empty vessel Dolph Ziggler be WHC for a time. Fans are entitled. Sometimes you need to be denied what you want in order to make the payoff that much sweeter. And it was sweet at Mania 30. You can't deny that was sweet.
Are you saying there would have been a "payoff" if fans didn't boo the shit out of Batista?
Or just

you know

don't watch it
I mean people bought tickets to go to the Royal Rumble because they wanted to enjoy it. Something happened they didn't like, so they booed. I don't see why that's such a big deal. If you're consistently disappointed and consistently hate the product, then yeah, quit watching. But for the people that paid for tickets to see the Rumble and didn't like the outcome, I don't see why they're terrible people for booing.

Top Bottom