• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| Porsha! Get my damn shoe!

Clearly some people liked Batista. He was a huge draw when he was there in the past and put Smackdown entirely on his shoulders, whether you like his work or not. It's wrong because it's speaking for others. You seriously think EVERYONE hated Batista's return? If WWE is forcing someone down your throat you can just stop watching. If the fanbase is getting chants over(Which isn't hard, see Fandango chants) and constantly trying to get themselves or their faves over while you're trying to watch a guy you want to see? That's problematic. Because you want to see your guy, but the dipshit in the Bullet Club shirt next to you paid money solely so he could chant Bluetista and fuck your day up.

It's like people who aren't happy enough that they're miserable. They want EVERYONE ELSE to be miserable with them.

I'm not denying that people didn't like Batista. And of course, not everyone hated Batista's return. That would be absurd. Just like at the peak of Bryan's popularity, not everyone loved him either. I have no problem with fans taking over a show and shitting on Batista because they want to cheer for Bryan or see Bryan at the top.

And your logic confuses me because if someone chanted Bluetista and ruined my day because I wanted to see him is not acceptable. But if I was a Bryan fan and people chanting about how he looks like a goat and a hobo and fucks up my day is okay?

Toki767

I don't know why they expected crowds to not boo Batista.

His first night back he was hugging and celebrating with the biggest heels in the company.

Why would they associate him as being a face?

Sephzilla

Being upset Batista returns for one more run, especially when he is a main event talent, is silly. You had that empty vessel Dolph Ziggler be WHC for a time. Fans are entitled. Sometimes you need to be denied what you want in order to make the payoff that much sweeter. And it was sweet at Mania 30. You can't deny that was sweet.

The WM30 sweet payoff for Bryan wouldn't have happened if people didn't boo the fuck out of Batista though..... so you're kind of killing your own argument here

Marvel

could never
Rock will never be able to top his Hollywood Heel work in 2003 so I'm always luke warm to him when he does return. He outdid himself.

Anyway, I'm watching the new Godzilla movie at the moment. Music seems good.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Are you saying there would have been a "payoff" if fans didn't boo the shit out of Batista?

I mean people bought tickets to go to the Royal Rumble because they wanted to enjoy it. Something happened they didn't like, so they booed. I don't see why that's such a big deal. If you're consistently disappointed and consistently hate the product, then yeah, quit watching. But for the people that paid for tickets to see the Rumble and didn't like they outcome, I don't see why they're terrible people for booing.

Sure, there would have been a payoff. Summer of Batista as champion, big shit at Summerslam, Bryan conquers then? Could have happened. Who knows what route they would have taken? But there's always some sort of payoff with a heel champion.

And let's be honest, Batista legitimately deserved it. He's worked hard, he came back when he didn't need to because he actually does love wrestling. If you listened to him on that godawful Jericho show his enthusiasm is huge, he loves everything about it. Now I know what you're thinking - "fans shouldn't get to decide who's champion" and this is true. I just think Batista was done dirty by a bunch of wrestling poors.

Cagey

Banned
Holy fuck.

So fans aren't allowed to boo bad parts of a product anymore?

The problem is what you define as 'bad parts' are simply 'we wanted something else and you didn't give us exactly what we wanted so BOOOO' and those fans can properly fuck off so that my viewing experience is better.

Batista returning wasn't objectively bad, not remotely close.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know why they expected crowds to not boo Batista.

His first night back he was hugging and celebrating with the biggest heels in the company.

Why would they associate him as being a face?

He got cheered on his return. The booing wasn't serious until the Ramble.

The WM30 sweet payoff for Bryan wouldn't have happened if people didn't boo the fuck out of Batista though..... so you're kind of killing your own argument here

Batista didn't lose because the fans booed him. That's not an issue.

XenoRaven

It's not about Batista leaving as a heel. It's about a large portion of fans wanting to see a new rising star being successful, and in comes a guy whose main draw was his look and his size, both of which were not even close to what they were when he left. So he shows up puffy-faced and basically the same size as Orton and people are wondering why fans didn't accept it.

Whatever was up with his face when he debuted eventually corrected itself, him growing out his hair and his beard improved his look, and his heel work with Evolution was amazing. That was an entertaining Batista. The guy that showed up at the Rumble was not.

Toki767

Batista deserves it because he came back when he didn't need to?

If Batista had that attitude coming back, that would have made him more entitled than anyone else.

Also if Batista won the title, they probably would have had Batista vs Brock at SummerSlam. Honestly curious how that would have turned out.

Sephzilla

Sure, there would have been a payoff. Summer of Batista as champion, big shit at Summerslam, Bryan conquers then? Could have happened. Who knows what route they would have taken? But there's always some sort of payoff with a heel champion.

And let's be honest, Batista legitimately deserved it. He's worked hard, he came back when he didn't need to because he actually does love wrestling. If you listened to him on that godawful Jericho show his enthusiasm is huge, he loves everything about it. Now I know what you're thinking - "fans shouldn't get to decide who's champion" and this is true. I just think Batista was done dirty by a bunch of wrestling poors.

Bryan would have never sniffed the world title if the fans didn't boo the fuck out of Batista though. You're forgetting that in the months leading up to Royal Rumble & WrestleMania they tried to phase Bryan out of the world title picture and replace him with the fucking Big Show and tried to get the Yes! chant off of Bryan a few times. Then there was his run with the Wyatt family that probably would have carried up to WrestleMania if the Michigan State video didn't happen and prove that Bryan was crazy over. Batista would have dropped the belt to Brock at SummerSlam just like Cena did, which means there would have been no place for Bryan in the title picture.

All of the points you use to say why Batista legitimately deserved it also apply to Bryan, the difference being that Bryan didn't take a 4 year break to make a bunch of direct to DVD movies and film Guardians of the Galaxy.

Batista didn't lose because the fans booed him. That's not an issue.

Sorry friend but you're a little delusional if you don't think this is the truth.

XenoRaven

Also, I'm a little tired of "he works hard". Lots of people work hard. You don't stay employed if you don't work hard. That goes for everyone from Roman to Seth to Cena to Bryan to Big Show (yeah I said it) to Cesaro.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Bryan would have never sniffed the world title if the fans didn't boo the fuck out of Batista though. You're forgetting that in the months leading up to Royal Rumble & WrestleMania they tried to phase Bryan out of the world title picture and replace him with the fucking Big Show and tried to get the Yes! chant off of Bryan a few times. Then there was his run with the Wyatt family that probably would have carried up to WrestleMania if the Michigan State video didn't happen and prove that Bryan was crazy over. Batista would have dropped the belt to Brock at SummerSlam just like Cena did, which means there would have been no place for Bryan in the title picture.

All of the points you use to say why Batista legitimately deserved it also apply to Bryan, the difference being that Bryan didn't take a 4 year break to make a bunch of direct to DVD movies and film Guardians of the Galaxy.

Obsessive Bryan fans' paranoia and conspiracy theories are absolutely bananas. It's just running in directions never intended, convinced the WWE was working to neuter Bryan when they weren't.

Sephzilla

Obsessive Bryan fans' paranoia and conspiracy theories are absolutely bananas. It's just running in directions never intended, convinced the WWE was working to neuter Bryan when they weren't.

Vince McMahon
(Today, 10:48 AM)

If it wasn't for #Bootista we would have had the most boring main event in years with Batista vs Orton and Bryan would have been jobbing to Shaemus in the pre-show.

Hold up now. And please correct me if I am wrong, but are people arguing that Daniel Bryan would have won the WWE World Title at WM30 if the fans didn't act the way they did during that time frame?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It isn't paranoia if it's literally happening right in front of you.

Vince McMahon
(Today, 10:48 AM)

If it wasn't for #Bootista we would have had the most boring main event in years with Batista vs Orton and Bryan would have been jobbing to Shaemus in the pre-show.

3uLz3Z4.gif

Xater

Oh, whoa. I just found out that Eva Marie is being trained by The Brian Kendrick. That's really cool and I can't wait to see how it pans out.

Yeah they are trying to upgrade her from terrible to bad. What a worthwhile effort instead of using the people with actual talent they have.

convinced the WWE was working to neuter Bryan when they weren't.

I don't think this is provable either way - you can't tell if it's awful booking or a genuine attempt to damage a wrestler's popularity. Regardless, a lot of WWE's handling of Bryan in the year before his WM moment was flat-out dumb and I'm not going to believe that it was all some masterfully orchestrated plan on WWE's part. That's far crazier to me than the idea that Vince would resent the fact that fans were cheering for a hairy little dwarf over whoever he chose to represent his precious Universe.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think this is provable either way - you can't tell if it's awful booking or a genuine attempt to damage a wrestler's popularity. Regardless, a lot of WWE's handling of Bryan in the year before his WM moment was flat-out dumb and I'm not going to believe that it was all some masterfully orchestrated plan on WWE's part. That's far crazier to me than the idea that Vince would resent the fact that fans were cheering for a hairy little dwarf over whoever he chose to represent his precious Universe.

I think it was being tone-deaf on multiple things, but nowhere near the extent conspiracy theorists are going.

"Batista should be a pretty good face, put him against Orton, sounds good"
"Hang on they're cheering the shit out of Bryan"
"Aaaah, no big deal, they'll forget about him"
"They didn't forget."
"Well let's try making Batista even more of a face"
"Didn't work"
"Fuck...it's almost Mania"
"Is it too early to course correct?"
"I don't think so, let's do that and see how it works out. I know we told Dave he'd get his moment but he should be ok with this"

And that's not really so far fetched, and a hell of a lot less sinister than the victim complex people have about it.

Hasney

Oh it was mostly bad booking. The past decade of WWE is the proof needed for that.

Batista's return was objectively shit until they turned him heel. His look was awful, he couldn't wrestle, he flubbed lines all over the place.

It's fucking silly to complain about fans trying to influence the direction of the product when WWE has spent years boasting about how awesome smark crowds are, drinking the "Raw after Wrestlemania" Kool-Aid, embracing the John Cena boos, having fans vote on matches and Slammys, etc. Fans were in the right to boo Batista because WWE's recent history suggested it would be an effective tack to get to see what they wanted. And it was! And Bryan winning was by far the best Wrestlemania ending, so fuck right off if you think a Batista run was the superior option.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Batista's return was objectively shit until they turned him heel. His look was awful, he couldn't wrestle, he flubbed lines all over the place.

It's fucking silly to complain about fans trying to influence the direction of the product when WWE has spent years boasting about how awesome smark crowds are, drinking the "Raw after Wrestlemania" Kool-Aid, embracing the John Cena boos, having fans vote on matches and Slammys, etc. Fans were in the right to boo Batista because WWE's recent history suggested it would be an effective tack to get to see what they wanted.

And it's fine to do that. It's management's duty to say "How do we work with what the fans are feeling" as opposed to "The fans want this - give them this" - it's a lot more complex and takes a lot more work to build something out of it as opposed to give someone a result.

Xater

If Eva Marie turns out good, her fans are going to be insufferable for the foreseeable future.

I think she will at least no longer look complete shit doing moves. Doubt she will get good ad building a match. I'll eat crow should it turn out differently but I feel pretty confident.

Sephzilla

And it's fine to do that. It's management's duty to say "How do we work with what the fans are feeling" as opposed to "The fans want this - give them this" - it's a lot more complex and takes a lot more work to build something out of it as opposed to give someone a result.

Apparently not considering they managed to put Bryan in a feud with HHH and put him in the WM30 main event in a month

And that's not really so far fetched, and a hell of a lot less sinister than the victim complex people have about it.

It might not be far fetched, but if anywhere remotely true then it's startlingly ignorant on WWE's part. You'd have to be so ridiculously out of touch with your own audience to not realise over the course of that year that Bryan was the guy they should have been going with. Tone deaf is a good way to describe it, wilfully ignorant is another. Wildly arrogant, as well.

Top Bottom