• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| Porsha! Get my damn shoe!

And it's fine to do that. It's management's duty to say "How do we work with what the fans are feeling" as opposed to "The fans want this - give them this" - it's a lot more complex and takes a lot more work to build something out of it as opposed to give someone a result.

No question, but I simply take exception to the idea that "da smarks" were the only ones booing and hijacking. Maybe they were the genesis, but it caught on because Bryan was a beloved underdog (with EVERYONE who watches WWE regularly, not just smarks) getting shafted. That he may not have been the best business option long-term doesn't change the reality on the ground at the time.

Intense ass morning with the same old Bryan/Batista discussion with no end in sight? Guys let's all share a laugh with this Booker T gif.

Rej2tNs.gif

Also I'm hyped as shit for a possibility of transporting WWE 2k15 models into GTA V now that they're both on PC now.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah, night 1 of Global Wars will be an iPPV!

http://www.rohwrestling.com/news/global-wars-night-1-be-broadcast-live-ippv

It's still laughable to believe that it was only smarks booing Batista. Guess the SilverSuperdome was loaded with 70,000 smarks.

Yep, packed to the brim with smarks. Now, if only WWE could get those normal fans who go to house shows and lose their shit over Roman Reigns to buy tickets for PPVs, then there wouldn't even be a problem!

Toki767

Getting booed was the best thing that ever happened to Batista.

Got him out of a WWE schedule and allowed him to just move strictly to acting and not putting his body at risk.

Bandini

As someone who only picked up wrestling at the beginning of last year, the only thing I saw in Batista was a guy who was too old, too slow, and who lacked a certain spark. He did eventually get his feet back under him, and I was actually starting to like him by the time Wrestlemania came around. But that doesn't mean fans didn't have every reason to reject him at the time... especially since many of them, like me, didn't have the nostalgia of his better days.

Fans want what they want. It's silly to suggest they're the ones at fault.

Cagey

Banned
It's still laughable to believe that it was only smarks booing Batista. Guess the SilverSuperdome was loaded with 70,000 smarks.

Batista was a heel by then and it was correct for the purposes of the story being told for fans to boo him.

Smarks were the ones booing Batista at the beginning, when he was a face, because he wasn't Daniel Bryan.

Sephzilla

Batista was a heel by then and it was correct for the purposes of the story being told for fans to boo him.

Smarks were the ones booing Batista at the beginning, when he was a face, because he wasn't Daniel Bryan.

Apparently the Raws up until Batista officially turned heel were smark loaded as well.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I'm just saying, how about giving him a leg to stand on? Seth-kun is just a puppet leader and paper champion, out there every night peddling lies. Again, clearly by design, but the heat could be so much hotter.

Imagine how good his promos would be if what he said rang true, like a Ric Flair or Floyd Mayweather? What they say actually has weight behind it. Why? Because love them or hate them, everything they're saying is carrying a certain truth behind it.

Let Seth-kun collect some bodies. Give the man some real ammo. Don't trade wins with RKO, make him a notch in the belt and build some mystique.

Basically what I'm saying is, I miss Ric Flair.

Problem is, heel champions that win end up being cheered by the crowd. Even Mark Henry during his Hall of Pain era was getting cheered after he beat up Jim Ross. Fans cheer winners, regardless of how they win (heel or not). Lesnar is an example of that as well - the dude beat the Streak and still got cheered w/in 6 months. Its why Reigns would rock as a heel - make him that dominant but a heel, and he ends up getting massive cheers within a year.

The entire "crowd dictating what WWE does" is a double edged sword. I actually think they should have gone forward with Reigns winning the belt if it was solely the ardent fans who were booing him; the precedent set by Bryan is good on an occasional basis - but not a consistent basis. Also, as the recent events have shown, WWE was correct to not bank on Bryan for a second WM - something that I've not seen admitted by many in this thread who have been crapping on Reigns and WWE. Now, if Reigns wasn't ready in terms of ring rust / decided a slower burn made sense / Lesnar was re-upping and going to be a mega babyface; in that context Rollins cashing in makes all the sense in the world.

As someone who only picked up wrestling at the beginning of last year, the only thing I saw in Batista was a guy who was too old, too slow, and who lacked a certain spark. He did eventually get his feet back under him, and I was actually starting to like him by the time Wrestlemania came around. But that doesn't mean fans didn't have every reason to reject him at the time... especially since many of them, like me, didn't have the nostalgia of his better days.

Fans want what they want. It's silly to suggest they're the ones at fault.

Shows that end up catering heavily to their ardent fans usually end up dying out fairly quickly there after. Fans are your core consumer, sure, but they also are prone to being short sighted and not having the long-term interest of your product in mind (they can always become fans of new things, after all). Think of how many TV shows went too far towards fan service and ended up having those very fans they were serving change their mind.

Apparently the Raws up until Batista officially turned heel were smark loaded as well.

This just shows that the "cheering Cena = mark town" fallacy works both ways. There are no mark/smark audiences or towns, just people paying money to see wrestling shows, cheering the wrestlers they like and booing the ones they don't. Fuck all this hive mind nonsense.

Problem is, heel champions that win end up being cheered by the crowd. Even Mark Henry during his Hall of Pain era was getting cheered after he beat up Jim Ross. Fans cheer winners, regardless of how they win (heel or not). Lesnar is an example of that as well - the dude beat the Streak and still got cheered w/in 6 months. Its why Reigns would rock as a heel - make him that dominant but a heel, and he ends up getting massive cheers within a year.

The entire "crowd dictating what WWE does" is a double edged sword. I actually think they should have gone forward with Reigns winning the belt if it was solely the ardent fans who were booing him; the precedent set by Bryan is good on an occasional basis - but not a consistent basis. Also, as the recent events have shown, WWE was correct to not bank on Bryan for a second WM - something that I've not seen admitted by many in this thread who have been crapping on Reigns and WWE.

Then you should ask yourself this, does everything have to be black or white in wrestling? How about two people regardless of alignment become the best of what they can become by winning matches and getting over even if you're a heel or not. Is it cause it's not the "proper" way to book things?

And to hop on this Dave discussion; wasn't it Dave himself saying he didn't like the direction the story was going but did not give a fuck? Cause what was he gonna do? Say no? I wouldn't.

This. People blame Heyman for not doing enough with Cesaro, when the reality was they were presenting Cesaro as a heel but having him do almost nothing heelish. He was arrogant. That was it. Seems WWE struggle to book anything but the cowardly heel.

Lol this is rusev to a T. Only heel thing he has done was have Lana kick cena in the nuts

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

By then Batista was a full blown heel, that wasn't a bunch of smarks.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah, night 1 of Global Wars will be an iPPV!

http://www.rohwrestling.com/news/global-wars-night-1-be-broadcast-live-ippv

This is great news and I forgive you. Harrumph!

Heels need to do more despicable heinous shit

I agree. I want more heinous acts.

Marvel

could never
Jericho smashing HBK's face into a TV and punching his wife was the last despicable/heinous thing right?

So good.

This. People blame Heyman for not doing enough with Cesaro, when the reality was they were presenting Cesaro as a heel but having him do almost nothing heelish. He was arrogant. That was it. Seems WWE struggle to book anything but the cowardly heel.

Heyman and Cesaro should have been so much more. Nothing wrong with him going heel. Could have even been a Lesnar lite if you will. They just fucked up his push so damn hard.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe it's just me but if you strip away patriotism (from both sides) Rusev has just done a kick in the ding-ding and that's it. Other than that, he's a really inspirational, feel-good story.

Keep in mind I haven't watched WWE after Mania really, so I have no idea how they handled him post-loss.

Sephzilla

Maybe it's just me but if you strip away patriotism (from both sides) Rusev has just done a kick in the ding-ding and that's it. Other than that, he's a really inspirational, feel-good story.

Keep in mind I haven't watched WWE after Mania really, so I have no idea how they handled him post-loss.

Cena has done more despicable heel things than Rusev has during their feud.

Jericho smashing HBK's face into a TV and punching his wife was the last despicable/heinous thing right?

So good.

They probably intended Jericho's alcoholism stuff to CM Punk to be heinous although it turned out to be more laughable than anything. Didn't he slip on the floor when he smashed Punk's head with the bottle lol?

When you establish a limit on your bad guys, your good guys look boring because they aren't overcoming anything.

More grave descrations, more animal murder, chair shots to actresses playing the wrestler's wives.

Wrestling is fake; take advantage of it

Marvel

could never
They probably intended Jericho's alcoholism stuff to CM Punk to be heinous although it turned out to be more laughable than anything. Didn't he slip on the floor when he smashed Punk's head with the bottle lol?

Yeah he did slip lol. God that whole feud was awkward as fuck.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Cena has done more despicable heel things than Rusev has during their feud.

I mean, this isn't new. There was a breakdown a couple years ago about how heelish Hogan was in his feud with the Iron Sheik. I want to find it, because it really is a good read and a reminder than we need to stop applying logic to what faces and heels do.

I find the really excellent feuds are ones that give the babyface a hell of a lot of shit, then empower him briefly. One chairshot from a good ol' boy and it feels so satisfying to their fans to finally stick it to the villains the same way they stuck it to the babyface, but you have to temper it and take your time.

https://doublecakes.wordpress.com/2014/09/01/hulk-hogan-has-always-been-a-heel/

This isn't the article I was thinking of, but it's a decent indictment of Hogan's face tactics and not a bad read. Ignore the Belzer shit though, that dude deserved to get choked out.

Renee Young is in 2K16 apparently. I don't know how but yeah it seems like it according to her Instantagramgram account. Wonder how she'll be utilized considering her role as a backstage interviewer. Create a Storyline stuff? I'm giving the devs too much credit.

Top Bottom