• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| Porsha! Get my damn shoe!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm going to float out a controversial opinion here. Booker T's not that great. Great look, solid wrestler, solid charisma but never any memorable promos(well, besides coming for Hulk Hogan) and all his best matches were with Benoit and Bret. And Diesel's best matches were with Bret, and nobody calls Nash an amazing performer(except me and Man God).

Even as a WCW fan, I really struggle when I see people rank Booker as a top tier or even upper tier guy. He's like Jarrett levels but with a better look and worse promos. The only thing I'd say saved his promos for me was when he was King Bookah.

Cagey

Banned
I'm going to float out a controversial opinion here. Booker T's not that great. Great look, solid wrestler, solid charisma but never any memorable promos(well, besides coming for Hulk Hogan) and all his best matches were with Benoit and Bret. And Diesel's best matches were with Bret, and nobody calls Nash an amazing performer(except me and Man God).

Even as a WCW fan, I really struggle when I see people rank Booker as a top tier or even upper tier guy. He's like Jarrett levels but with a better look and worse promos. The only thing I'd say saved his promos for me was when he was King Bookah.

Is this controversial though?

I can't think of a single Booker T moment that's memorable to me. He's always been that meh-to-decent dude with the awesome theme song in my head.

Sephzilla

I'd say Booker was an upper-tier guy. I wouldn't say he sniffs top-tier or all-time tier what so ever, but he was a solid performer.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Booker's best moments were in WCW, so if you didn't kind of witness it happen, I can see why it's tough to think he's exceptional.

Seeing him in Harlem Heat and rise up and be a great singles performer was really rewarding and great. I never watched much of his King Booker run so I have no real opinion on that Booker era.

He's definitely talented though, and I don't think anyone's arguing that.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
His best moments were in the mid-card though. As a US and TV champion. Granted, this is a much better midcard than WWF has ever had, but it makes the transition real bad when he's around main eventers in WWF.

I'd say Steiner was a much better ascension from tags to singles in WCW. They run fairly parallel careers, with Steiner as the heel and Booker as the face. But Steiner's character was strong and carried him to come off as a big deal where as Booker was just 'really likable dude' on camera.

To put it in perspective by what I mean, I think JBL and Mark Henry are wrestlers I'll remember more fondly in 10 years than Booker.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
His best moments were in the mid-card though. As a US and TV champion. Granted, this is a much better midcard than WWF has ever had, but it makes the transition real bad when he's around main eventers in WWF.

I'd say Steiner was a much better ascension from tags to singles in WCW. They run fairly parallel careers, with Steiner as the heel and Booker as the face. But Steiner's character was strong and carried him to come off as a big deal where as Booker was just 'really likable dude' on camera.

To put it in perspective by what I mean, I think JBL and Mark Henry are wrestlers I'll remember more fondly in 10 years than Booker.

Sure. Midcard is the best card!

Does everyone agree the best shit comes from the midcard most of the time?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Sure. Midcard is the best card!

Does everyone agree the best shit comes from the midcard most of the time?

No.
wwe-attitude-logo-300x146.jpg

NJPW-Logo.png

ajwpw_3617.jpg

WCW is the exception. Most promotions, not all especially not more fast paced/modern indies, build entirely around their main event.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hey Sunny, I saw you playing MLB The Show last night - any thoughts on it?

same fuckin' game from 08

It's nice, but it's still the same old shit. Somehow the PS3 07 or 08 version blew my mind FAR more than this one with its visual fidelity.

Sephzilla

same fuckin' game from 08

It's nice, but it's still the same old shit. Somehow the PS3 07 or 08 version blew my mind FAR more than this one with its visual fidelity.

Was afraid you'd say that. Guess I'm happy I passed on buying it. The Show series has really fucking stagnated the last few years. Guess it's more Bloodborne and MKX until DMC4:SE comes out

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Was afraid you'd say that. Guess I'm happy I passed on buying it. The Show series has really fucking stagnated the last few years. Guess it's more Bloodborne and MKX until DMC4:SE comes out

I got suckered into it when a dude was selling a new copy of the LE for $40. I figured fuck it, I need something else to play on my ps4 since it has so few exclusives I don't own elsewhere.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I don't even watch WWE, and I'm ready for Brock to come back. That's how you book a monster. Not some god damn 'I show up every week to do my job, Big Bossman' Big Show and Kane bullshit.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly, PT completely made my PS4 purchase worth it. That's an experience I've never come close to having anywhere else. Completely worth $400.

Thorakai

They should give Bork a super finisher. Since the guy only shows up for the big fights the F5 starts getting devalued as kickouts are guaranteed in his matches.

That animu thread is going to get me banned. This is my hill to die on.

"I kind of get where the OP is coming for. When I was in high school, at the potential peak of puberty, I would look forward to this stuff, but now, I'm starting to realize it's time to move on, especially since I'm gonna give dating another chance. Guess it's sort of like how some guys realize it's time to move on from the bachelor life."

I read that and I was done. Not going back to that thread.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
They should give Bork a super finisher. Since the guy only shows up for the big fights the F5 starts getting devalued as kickouts are guaranteed in his matches.

They'll immediately kill it because the booking process will be 'We want BLANK to look strong, so he should not only kick out of your finisher but ALSO your super finisher!' WWE doesn't know how to book 'big matches' without resorting to finisher spam.

You're the Decker of gaf.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

I don't think you're long for this world. You went a little too hard in the paint against the Vita, but your core argument still is valid. It's indefensible to say "the battle system was good!" when something despicable is happening. The thing is people just don't admit "the battle system was good, and to be honest I can tolerate CP"

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
"I kind of get where the OP is coming for. When I was in high school, at the potential peak of puberty, I would look forward to this stuff, but now, I'm starting to realize it's time to move on, especially since I'm gonna give dating another chance. Guess it's sort of like how some guys realize it's time to move on from the bachelor life."

I read that and I was done. Not going back to that thread.

You're missing out on the guy equating games with naked toddlers in it to stand-up comedy. I read that and I just can't believe it. I cannot believe these people exist. I cry.

Xater

I got suckered into it when a dude was selling a new copy of the LE for $40. I figured fuck it, I need something else to play on my ps4 since it has so few exclusives I don't own elsewhere.

I have only been playing MLB since 13 and I am loving the new one.

Also get Bloodborne you chump.

Also check out Helldivers that game is so good.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
I don't think you're long for this world. You went a little too hard in the paint against the Vita, but your core argument still is valid. It's indefensible to say "the battle system was good!" when something despicable is happening. The thing is people just don't admit "the battle system was good, and to be honest I can tolerate CP"

john-cena-salute-o.gif

See you on the other side.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I have only been playing MLB since 13 and I am loving the new one.

Also get Bloodborne you chump.

Also check out Helldivers that game is so good.

I did get Bloodborne. It's ok. Lots of recycled animations and assets. Dunno why this game hasn't been roasted for that, even though other games do for worse. Oh wait I know.

It's not bad, just not as amazing as expected. It's just more souls. Meh.

Xater

I did get Bloodborne. It's ok. Lots of recycled animations and assets. Dunno why this game hasn't been roasted for that, even though other games do for worse. Oh wait I know.

I skipped DS2 and love Souls games, so I think it's great.

Oh an next month Magicka 2 is coming, so that will be great as well. Unless you wanna get it on PC of course.

Sephzilla

The amount of stuff that got recycled from Dark Souls to Bloodborne is significantly less than Demons Souls to Dark Souls, to be fair. If you were meh on the other Souls games I can understand being meh for Bloodborne though. It's not for everybody.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I skipped DS2 and love Souls games, so I think it's great.

Oh an next month Magicka 2 is coming, so that will be great as well. Unless you wanna get it on PC of course.

The amount of stuff that got recycled from Dark Souls to Bloodborne is significantly less than Demons Souls to Dark Souls, to be fair. If you were meh on the other Souls games I can understand being meh for Bloodborne though.

I played the shit out of all the Souls game, DS2 started a downward trend. Bloodborne is better so far, but it's also kind of ehh at times because I know exactly how they hide enemies. Kinda rewarding to catch them but nothing's surprised me other than the shithead on the tower with the gun.

alstein

King Bookah proved he could promo. He also had great matches with Finlay, a very broken-down Scott Steiner, and a near-retirement Rick Martel. Was he an all-time great no?

But his singles run combined with Harlem Heat make him low-end HOF for me.

Xater

...what the hell is going on?

There is a thread where people defend pedo games and how it is hypocrisy they can#t discuss them on GAF.

The beginning of the OP killed me already. Someone explain this thought process to me:

I remember being excited when Senran Kagura was announced by XSeed and downloading it as soon as it hit the eshop. The breasts in 3D felt like real innovation but the novelty wore off pretty fast.

When is the next big New Japan Show btw? Also by all accounts I should watch this weeks LU huh?

Sephzilla

Damnit Data, bringing back repressed childhood fear with this gif in that thread

I played the shit out of all the Souls game, DS2 started a downward trend. Bloodborne is better so far, but it's also kind of ehh at times because I know exactly how they hide enemies. Kinda rewarding to catch them but nothing's surprised me other than the shithead on the tower with the gun.

Well DS2 was the nWo B Team game. I liked DS2 when it came out but Bloodborne retroactively made me dislike DS2 because Bloodborne does almost everything better.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
There is a thread where people defend pedo games and how it is hypocrisy they can#t discuss them on GAF.

The beginning of the OP killed me already. Someone explain this thought process to me:

When is the next big New Japan Show btw? Also by all accounts I should watch this weeks LU huh?

Always watch a new LU

If there's a new LU out, make sure you watch it. It's amazing.

Xater

Always watch a new LU

If there's a new LU out, make sure you watch it. It's amazing.

Yeah for some reason I have only been watching NXT but not LU. I should probably do exactly the opposite. NXT is kinda not that great right now. maybe once the special is around the corner it will be again.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like you made it out alive, Spider. Good friend.

Top Bottom