• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| Porsha! Get my damn shoe!

Recall

So wait Lucha Underground is a fun weekly watch but because of it people are now shitting on it?

Or we doing the weekly thing where anything not WWE is shit? I can never keep up.

Right, on the first set of Lucha Underground tapings I heard they were concerned about the fans in attendance not knowing who was a rudo and who was a technino, so fans were given a who's who - sure, it would have become apparent once the wrestlers actually started wrestling, but they wanted the appropriate reactions for the wrestlers as they made their entrance. There are no applause signs, the fans aren't directed as to what they can & can't chant. You can probably make an argument for the crowd reactions being doctored in post-production, but I don't think they need to - it's a small, intimate building that's always packed out and with tickets in great demand. They also don't need to because I'd hazard a guess and say the audience in attendance are enjoying the show just as much, if not more so, than the fans at home. This isn't some dry, dull and desperately boring Smackdown taping where they need to add in seagull pops because the crowd were either entirely silent or spent the majority of the match booing. Neither is this the WWE Universe, slap bang in the middle of a supposed "Reality Era" where the fan's opinions Really Matter, yet the easiest solution to fans shitting all over your product is a bit of post-production editing to make everything seem fine & dandy to the ignorant.

FyreWulff

makes sense to me to inform the crowd. I always discuss with friends that the live wrestling crowd is the greek chorus to the play going on in the ring

RP912

Banned
This thread just need a good Hogan gif

hulk-hogan-tabardillo-2-o.gif

Aiii

So not worth it
Our King's birthday is tomorrow, I guess I could watch Extreme Rules live.

On the other hand, I'd have to watch a Kiss Me Arse match if I do that...

The schedule's been updated on NJPW World - now both Wrestling Hinokuni on 04/29 and Wrestling Dontaku on 05/03 will be shown live! There's also a Road to Dontaku show on 04/30, but it's single camera, no commentary. Plus, the Best of the Super Jr's opener on 05/22 is on NJPW World, as is day 7 of the tournament on 05/30.

RP912

Banned
The schedule's been updated on NJPW World - now both Wrestling Hinokuni on 04/29 and Wrestling Dontaku on 05/03 will be shown live! There's also a Road to Dontaku show on 04/30, but it's single camera, no commentary. Plus, the Best of the Super Jr's opener on 05/22 is on NJPW World, as is day 7 of the tournament on 05/30.

Hmmm not bad.

Waiting on that G1 for the gawd Bata to win the big one.

Dude will be nearly 40 in 4 or so years, if they pull the trigger on Shibata I think it'll be before then. Also, I'd say an Intercontinental Title run is the next step for him. Can't see him winning the G1 this year, but beating the IC champion during the tournament (be it Nakamura, Goto or whoever) and then winning the belt, plus ultimately getting to defend it at Wrestle Kingdom, that'd be pretty cool.

RP912

Banned
Dude will be nearly 40 in 4 or so years, if they pull the trigger on Shibata I think it'll be before then. Also, I'd say an Intercontinental Title run is the next step for him. Can't see him winning the G1 this year, but beating the IC champion during the tournament (be it Nakamura, Goto or whoever) and then winning the belt, plus ultimately getting to defend it at Wrestle Kingdom, that'd be pretty cool.

I agree. Most likely he'll win the IC belt eventually and probably wrestle his partner Sakuraba for the title at WK.

It would be nice if he won the big one though in June.

Oi there's no spotlight for anyone but Rainmaker

Well, obviously. But there's still smaller, less luminous spotlights for other guys as well ;)

I know the power of "Okada wins, lol" is strong, but I refuse to believe that Gedo's dumb enough to not realise that he needs more than one top level guy for the future - it can't JUST be Okada.

RP912

Banned
I don't actually mind the "rainmaker wins lolz". After the whole storyline with him losing his mojo after WK and his feuds with Bad Luck Fale. It really takes away from the obvious. In a way if NJPW was smart, they would do a slow build to AJ/Okada at Wrestle Kingdom instead of busting their load at a random ppv just because of Tanahashi.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Well, obviously. But there's still smaller, less luminous spotlights for other guys as well ;)

I know the power of "Okada wins, lol" is strong, but I refuse to believe that Gedo's dumb enough to not realise that he needs more than one top level guy for the future - it can't JUST be Okada.

Worked for the most successful wrestling company in the world for the last 10 or so years.

I don't actually mind the "rainmaker wins lolz". After the whole storyline with him losing his mojo after WK and his feuds with Bad Luck Fale. It really takes away from the obvious. In a way if NJPW was smart, they would do a slow build to AJ/Okada at Wrestle Kingdom instead of busting their load at a random ppv just because of Tanahashi.

AJ / Okada is already booked for the Dominion show at Jo Hall in July. Its very likely that Okada wins then but if AJ stays hot I'd really like to see him keep the strap until WK10.

As an admittedly huge Okada mark, I don't think he has it in him to be the sole top guy. Even Inoki couldn't have done it without first Sakaguchi, then Choshu & Fujinami helping him.

And yeah, if AJ retains the title against Okada I'd like to see him keep a hold of it until Wrestle Kingdom. No bait and switch main event like last year.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
AJ should still be the champion from his first reign. If you're going to go so far to push a guy in NJPW that you give him the Vader treatment and throw the main title on him on his first day, you need to build him up as having an iron clutch on that title. AJ should be on his 357th day as champion and bringing his title to the states to show it off if NJPW really wanted that 'American representation.'

Absolutely nothing memorable happened for that impromptu Tanahashi reign other than the office said 'put on Tanahashi = instant money'

Tanahashi fucking up people I like is nothing new though. And Yano should be number one contender.

AJ should still be the champion from his first reign. If you're going to go so far to push a guy in NJPW that you give him the Vader treatment and throw the main title on him on his first day, you need to build him up as having an iron clutch on that title. AJ should be on his 357th day as champion and bringing his title to the states to show it off if NJPW really wanted that 'American representation.'

Absolutely nothing memorable happened for that impromptu Tanahashi reign other than the office said 'put on Tanahashi = instant money'

I agree (well, I think Okada/Tanahashi was pretty memorable, even if the switch was done just for that one match), but what's done is done - I think the Yokohama Arena show drawing badly was what mainly convinced them, although that's as much of a knock against Okada as it is AJ. Ultimately, if they'd had a bit more time to introduce AJ and position him against Okada before he ever got into the ring, I think it would have greatly been beneficial.

Also, the Dome is a big step up from all the other arenas they run - it's safe to assume that if they draw badly for Wrestle Kingdom it'd be pretty costly for them, so I can understand some trepidation when putting new guys in the main event, be it Okada & Styles, or Okada & Naito. That's part of why I wouldn't be surprised to see them do Okada vs Tanahashi one more time for WK10.

RP912

Banned

Tanahashi fucking up people I like is nothing new though. And Yano should be number one contender.

my-man-american-gangster-o.gif

My man.

This really needs to happen in 2015 goddammit.

RP912

Banned
Watching the rest of WM 13 while I'm doing this long essay :/.

Lmao at Sid no selling Bret's trolling.

"You get your whiny ass out of here"

XenoRaven

In some sort of dream world Tanahashi and Okada are abducted by aliens and the title is vacated and Goto vs Shibata for the IWGP title happens at WK10.

And to make Data happy Shibata can win and then be challenged by Naito.

AJ should retain the title and win the G1 this year .

Do him vs okada at the dome.

Tanahashi /GOTO for the IC belt

Shibata/ inbushi for the never title

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
One of the most frustrating things about WWE games is their inconsistency with legends. Like if you're enough of a delusional wrestling fan to buy the games for their mediocre gameplay, if you're a legends fan or want something more legends focused, you're shit out of luck because of the yearly cycle.

Want Hogan? 2k14 or 2k15
Want 90s Rude? 2k15
Want 80s Rude? 2k14(and he's horrific looking)
Want Bruno? 2k14
Want Steamboat? 2k14?
Want Dusty? 2k14
Want Goldberg? 2k14
Want Bossman? 13
Honky Tonk? 2k15

They really ought to do some basic Legends of Wrestlemania similar game but keep it per generation then just pump out DLC for it. Imagine all the digital bucks you could make off various Rick Rude costumes and themes(2.99 for Rick Rude WCW entrance well spent). Or make All Stars again but with legends only

yGQ7P.gif

Oi there's no spotlight for anyone but Rainmaker

Truly, Okada is the new Tanahashi. The Cena-fication of Okada is nearly complete.

Zach

They really ought to do some basic Legends of Wrestlemania similar game but keep it per generation then just pump out DLC for it. Imagine all the digital bucks you could make off various Rick Rude costumes and themes(2.99 for Rick Rude WCW entrance well spent). Or make All Stars again but with legends only

Yes yes yes. I'm totally on board with something in between Legends of WrestleMania and All Stars with a focus on legends. I mean, really, legends only. If they wanted to include current dudes, just have a DLC pack or two for that, so I don't have to have them in my game.

And yeah, I'd totally throw money at various Rick Rude attires and that amazing WCW entrance/theme. Mmmm...

That would be great, except go with all stars instead of LOW since it plays better

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Right, on the first set of Lucha Underground tapings I heard they were concerned about the fans in attendance not knowing who was a rudo and who was a technino, so fans were given a who's who - sure, it would have become apparent once the wrestlers actually started wrestling, but they wanted the appropriate reactions for the wrestlers as they made their entrance. There are no applause signs, the fans aren't directed as to what they can & can't chant. You can probably make an argument for the crowd reactions being doctored in post-production, but I don't think they need to - it's a small, intimate building that's always packed out and with tickets in great demand. They also don't need to because I'd hazard a guess and say the audience in attendance are enjoying the show just as much, if not more so, than the fans at home. This isn't some dry, dull and desperately boring Smackdown taping where they need to add in seagull pops because the crowd were either entirely silent or spent the majority of the match booing. Neither is this the WWE Universe, slap bang in the middle of a supposed "Reality Era" where the fan's opinions Really Matter, yet the easiest solution to fans shitting all over your product is a bit of post-production editing to make everything seem fine & dandy to the ignorant.

I also don't see anything wrong with picking the best reactions and taking a little time in post to make it tell the best story you want to tell. Live, you don't get that option as good as you do with taped, so...

LU is dope :)

Top Bottom