• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| Porsha! Get my damn shoe!

Xater

07_NATA_03022015JR_0290b_quote-388373722.jpg

You do what?

Also just heard on the Observer that Cole will be back on Monday. Told you he would be back right away.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
No, we aren't. Remember how everyone was saying how great WM30 and Raw after Mania was last year and then everything went down the shitter not long after?

"The Shitter" being one of the best years WWE has ever had? It was a great year. Almost nothing bad came of it. Seth-sama's ascension (and the Ascension debut) is a great year. Brock Lesnar dominating at Summerslam and carrying the title through the year?

If that's the shitter, start pooping on me. Because I like it.

BFIB

So guys.....are we truly in a turn around here?

I mean, Mania was good even when people feared the worst.

Raw was great as a follow up.

We even have a reason to watch Smackdown this week.

WTF is going on here?

Lets see where we're at after Night of Champions.

Kaladin

No, we aren't. Remember how everyone was saying how great WM30 and Raw after Mania was last year and then everything went down the shitter not long after?

That was because Bryan got injured though.....and they had to do the Bryan vs kane feud at some point in his reign, might as well had taken care of it early.

JavyOO7

Smackdown is a swing and a miss though this week. I would think Sheamus and Bryan would be a PPV match instead of rushing to one already as soon as 'Fella' comes back. Him ranting on today's show is great, and having those two rant back and forth would have been a nice way to lead into ER. Alas...

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Femmezuigiri did a writeup on Mt Fiji from GLOW. Pretty cool stuff if you've ever watched GLOW, and I realize not many people here did, but this may help you get into it.

http://femmezuigiri.tumblr.com/post/115233234247/whos-that-girl-mt-fiji

tumblr_inline_nm57f3h2aL1qio73x_500.png

Just as she would rap in her intro, with us on her side she’ll never lose; and she never did. Throughout her stint with GLOW: Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling Mt. Fiji never lost a match, and it would be a big deal if someone were to knock this gentle giant off her feet.

Fiji is one of the greatest babyfaces that women’s pro wrestling has ever seen. Normally, the larger you are, the more likely you are to be billed as a monster among women, but she was beloved by all without having to sacrifice her brute and vicious strength. Her fellow GLOW Good Girls respected and adored her and her opposing GLOW Bad Girls feared her and sought out the challenge to be the one to knock her down. One of her signature moves is an avalanche which involves crushing her opponent in the corner right up against the turnbuckle. Relying on that, body slams, clotheslines and other maneuvers where she didn’t need to move much, it was extremely difficult to take her out. As mentioned before, Fiji never lost a match, but has eliminated herself in Battle Royals to tend to injured friends.

As a promotion, GLOW was no stranger to being extremely politically incorrect and relied heavily on racist and sexist tropes in order to push the envelope. Bearing that in mind, Fiji’s character remained genuine and never truly seemed to cross that line. I can’t, however, take into account anything the announcer would spout, and am basing this solely off how she presents herself in ring and in sketches. Fiji is a Samoan American and very obviously proud of her heritage, she would flaunt this in character and that was never presented as the butt of the joke.

Unfortunately, her luck in being able to thwart racism in her career did not translate to life outside the GLOW house. Nearing the end of the show’s run, Fiji and her family were involved in an incident of extreme police brutality which was seen to be racist in nature that took place at a bridal shower. In response to a noise complaint, the LA Country Sheriff’s department descended upon their home in full riot gear and proceeded to beat members of the family with billy clubs. Fiji stood strong in effort to protect others who were there and prevent them from being on the receiving end of such treatment.

More at the link. Really a VERY sad story.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
The dirt sheetz are telling me it's Seth-kun vs. Brock at Summerslam. Let's hope this is true, friends. MOTY in the making.

Sephzilla

"The Shitter" being one of the best years WWE has ever had? It was a great year. Almost nothing bad came of it. Seth-sama's ascension (and the Ascension debut) is a great year. Brock Lesnar dominating at Summerslam and carrying the title through the year?

If that's the shitter, start pooping on me. Because I like it.

I guess we have very different opinions of last year. After WM30 Bryan got thrown into a feud with Kane and we had to put up with Brie's horrible acting. Then Bryan got hurt and we got APPLEDOUGH as the fucking world champ again, meanwhile we had to tolerate an awful Brie/Steph feud that reached TNA levels of awful. SummerSlam revived hopes temporarily by giving us Brock/Cena, but the immediate Vince panic mode after that caused the Wyatts to get re-buried and then Night of Champions happened. Then the rest of the year was boring as fuck outside of Survivor Series (which ended up getting retcon'd anyway) and Seth.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I guess we have very different opinions of last year. After WM30 Bryan got thrown into a feud with Kane and we had to put up with Brie's horrible acting. Then Bryan got hurt and we got APPLEDOUGH as the fucking world champ again, meanwhile we had to tolerate an awful Brie/Steph feud that reached TNA levels of awful. SummerSlam revived hopes temporarily by giving us Brock/Cena, but the immediate Vince panic mode after that caused the Wyatts to get re-buried and then Night of Champions happened. Then the rest of the year was boring as fuck outside of Survivor Series (which ended up getting retcon'd anyway) and Seth.

It's pretty amazing how good WWE has been in the past year if you just ignore Bryan like they did. Everything else has been dope.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Uuuuuh no? WWE has been a miserable experience for anything that wasn't related to Brock.

Depends on what you're looking for. I just wanted to be entertained, and I got it.

16BitNova

I'm actually liking Sheamus' new theme. One problem I see with him though is his voice. It still sounds too baby face. They should have had him talk in a softer, more grunt like voice. Or just keep him a lot quieter, like when Jericho came back all silent bad ass.

Ladder match: ****1/4
Orton/Rollins: ****
HHH/Sting: **1/2
Divas tag: **1/2
Cena/Rusev: ***1/2
Undertaker/Bray: **3/4
Reigns/Lesnar: ****1/2

Here's Meltzer's Mania ratings. Said he takes back some of the praise he said. Definitely better live than on TV appparently.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I think I'd like TMDK to get signed the most JUST so they can get better. The way they sell the way they act in the ring currently... They remind me of like WCW Powerplant trainees. They got to cut that shit out. They've got everything else but they have no presence because of that.
Here's Meltzer's Mania ratings. Said he takes back some of the praise he said. Definitely better live than on TV appparently.

His tweet definitely made it sound like he got caught up in the hype like usual.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I think I'd like TMDK to get signed the most JUST so they can get better. The way they sell the way they act in the ring currently... They remind me of like WCW Powerplant trainees. They got to cut that shit out. They've got everything else but they have no presence because of that.

His tweet definitely made it sound like he got caught up in the hype like usual.

You're right about TMDK, somehow that fits perfectly.

Meltzer was there live, and honestly the live experience is SO much different to hearing it on TV...with the commentary berrying it. I liked it a ton, though. Mania 31 is a great Wresslemanier.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Enjoy it while it's good, quit while it's bad. Pretty simple way to enjoy WWE.

Best way to enjoy all things, really. Wrestling storylines don't last as long as they used to now, so you can just zone out for a month or two months or whatever then come back when there's a match that looks interesting.

It's why I'm not watching Zero-1 until Wrestle-1 goes away. And likely won't watch WWE until Brock has a match that interests me. Though the idea of Sheamus as IRL Kevin Nash is VERY tempting.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
That's not a huge leap in logic considering Brock's typical work schedule.

The leap is in Seth-kun getting a 5 month title reign. Maybe they'll use this time to give us that Shield triple threat although that's a Mania worthy match in my opinion.

Ithil

It's impressive that a wrestler like Ryck has gone this long without being exposed, on LU. That's playing to strengths.

MC Safety

I really like Big E and Kofi and wish them well escaping the bad gimmick into which they've been placed.

Maybe they could become well-meaning but misguided Bolievers.

Trips needs to give Ricochet big money to jump ship. They already fucked up in grabbing Neville the Vaniller Midget, rather than the charismatic and good-looking black guy, but to let him rot on that overproduced show for 7 years? Fuck that. Dude could make a ton of dough for WWE is they committed to pushing him.

Yeah I'd agree with that, they've got a lotta potential
I'm not on the Lucha Underground hype train, but

tumblr_nm5zg7hLYr1skeohxo3_540.png

tumblr_nm5zg7hLYr1skeohxo1_540.png

Meanwhile in WWE
tumblr_nkz8k2KOnz1rnjfjfo1_r1_400.gif
I love all their names

Kaladin

The leap is in Seth-kun getting a 5 month title reign. Maybe they'll use this time to give us that Shield triple threat although that's a Mania worthy match in my opinion.

April = Orton

May = Reigns

June = Bryan

July = Ambrose?

August = Brock

Top Bottom