• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| Porsha! Get my damn shoe!

Imagine the Seth/Ambrose buildup where Ambrose kept popping up out of nowhere....except with God King Brock.

BROCK_ATK.120.jpg

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Lance Storm on the Observer podcast is becoming really annoying. He still thinks people boo Roman just because they want to get themselves over. Yep it has nothing to do with people thinking he doesn't deserve to be where WWE want him to be.

"You Suck Cena"
"You Suck Bryan"
"You Suck Uso"
"We Are Awesome"

Nope. Nothing about getting themselves over.

Where is that? Losing in the main event of Wrestlemania? WM proved more than ever that wrestling fans are just contrarians looking to get noticed since they still complained about Roman (who was in an excellent, hard hitting match and lost) while cheering for Bryan (who napped for 13 minutes while his opponents killed themselves and then won and got a big suck up segment, which is what the same fans complained furiously about when it happened to Roman at the Rumble).

Now, the push of Roman Reigns isn't taking the spot of anyone (Danny Bryan's body can't be trusted to be a top guy, Dolph Ziggler has had multiple chances and underwhelms and shit talks his employer in public every time) and is in fact a gift to wrestling fans, who love nothing more than to have someone to feel smart about hating.

Vince McMahon hasn't lost his touch at all. He's more genius than ever, tbh. In addition to all that, you have the NXT flippy floppy guys getting big showcases on Raw and Sheamus being a heel again, which will no doubt turn the internet's opinion on him. There isn't much for WWE fans to be upset about right now. Things are looking pretty good. But then, there are people who genuinely hated Sting/HHH and WM31 as a whole and think liking a few pop songs makes you a gimmick poster.

Emphasis on the bolded. Bryan is absolutely getting away with what Reigns is being castigated for. Reigns had the Rock endorse him, Bryan had Roddy Piper, Bob Backlund, Ricky Steamboat, and Ric Flair endorse him.

I'm not on the Lucha Underground hype train, but

tumblr_nm5zg7hLYr1skeohxo3_540.png

tumblr_nm5zg7hLYr1skeohxo1_540.png

Meanwhile in WWE
tumblr_nkz8k2KOnz1rnjfjfo1_r1_400.gif

TNA has been booking Lashley, MVP, and Kenny King well for about the last year or so too. Not overly familiar with ROH outside of their TV show off and on for the past few months but guys like Lethal and ACH seem like stars. WWE is the only televised wrestling company in America where this is a problem.

Ithil

Emphasis on the bolded. Bryan is absolutely getting away with what Reigns is being castigated for. Reigns had the Rock endorse him, Bryan had Roddy Piper, Bob Backlund, Ricky Steamboat, and Ric Flair endorse him.

You want a guy fresh back from neck surgery to do dangerous ladder spots?

Anth0ny

Here's Meltzer's Mania ratings. Said he takes back some of the praise he said. Definitely better live than on TV appparently.

Yeah I knew he was overstating how good the show was... Dat being there live bias.

4 1/2 stars for Lesnar just wrecking Reigns for 20 minutes. I approve.

Only that Bryan has already proven himself as an excellent wrestler and top tier performer, before the endorsment, while Reigns is the total opposite. Roman is just starting to prove himself.

somedevil

"

He recovering from neck problems and you want to do a crazy bump?

Plus the difference between Reigns and Bryan is he got over for his match quality. Bryan's run with the Shield putting on great matches got him onto the next level while Reigns never did that.

somedevil

How does the crowd being into a match equate to it being a better match?

Really? This threads anti-hype continues.

Sting vs Triple H was basically a version of Rock vs Hogan. Both matches don't have great wrestling but the crowd going crazy makes the match tons more better.

Matches where the crowds really into it will always beat very good matches when the crowd is sitting on there hands.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Plus the difference between Reigns and Bryan is he got over for his match quality. Bryan's run with the Shield putting on great matches got him onto the next level while Reigns never did that.

Nobody is making sure Reigns doesn't do something to aggravate his hernia injury

Double standards everywhere. Shameful display of hate for non-whites.

RP912

Banned
People bitch about big show during the battle royal at wm 31, but forgot that he pretty much eliminated the entire cruiserweight division at World War 3.

Dude always been a dick.

strobogo

Banned

I forget. Was Roman in any of those great matches?

jmdajr

Reigns is a good seller. That however might hurt him as a heel. Needs more offense.

BUT, I think mic wise he won't sound so fucking awkward anymore once he goes bad.

Sephzilla

Okay. Roman is the only person not credited in those great 6 man and tag team matches. How strange.

The fact that he ended up being the weakest singles wrestler out of all of them retroactively took some of his credit away. He did his part fine in those matches, it's just that The Shield as a whole was masking his flaws.

RP912

Banned
That was an uneventful World War 3 battle royal :/. It was obvious that big sexy was winning the match so I guess folks didn't give a shit.

DDP vs Hart as the main event...nice.

JavyOO7

Reigns just needs more singles matches. And a creative direction where he looks like a monster. He looked like a complete loser losing to Rollins by roll up a few weeks before Mania.

Sephzilla

Reigns just needs more singles matches. And a creative direction where he looks like a monster. He looked like a complete loser losing to Rollins by roll up a few weeks before Mania.

After Reigns became a singles wrestler he should have gotten the Goldberg push that Ryback got at first. Have Reigns just murder people in 2 minutes, have very limited mic time, and have him run his way through the lower tier belts before winning the Rumble. Immediately pushing him to the top after The Shield broke up was always a huge mistake.

strobogo

Banned
The fact that he ended up being the weakest singles wrestler out of all of them retroactively took some of his credit away. He did his part fine in those matches, it's just that The Shield as a whole was masking his flaws.

That makes no sense at all besides some convenient retroactive we actually hated him all along reasoning. Roman was a significant part of those matches. Both 6 man and standard tag team. How he was in singles matches has no bearing on those matches. No one is going to say, "Well, Bobby Eaton/Rick Steiner/Scott Steiner/Ricky Morton/Arn Anderson" weren't as good in singles as they were in tags, so their tag matches aren't as good now". Shield was also masking Dean's flaws and Seth's flaws. That's the point of stables. To hide the flaws and be able to accentuate the positives. Dean hasn't had a big list of great matches as a solo guy, in or out of Shield. I don't think he has anything worth watching besides with Seth or Cena.

Seth is the one, true stand out of Shield.

Sephzilla

That makes no sense at all besides some convenient retroactive we actually hated him all along reasoning. Roman was a significant part of those matches. Both 6 man and standard tag team. How he was in singles matches has no bearing on those matches. No one is going to say, "Well, Bobby Eaton/Rick Steiner/Scott Steiner/Ricky Morton/Arn Anderson" weren't as good in singles as they were in tags, so their tag matches aren't as good now".

I don't agree with it either, I was just trying to explain what I thought their point of view was. Roman was awesome as part of The Shield and I have no issues with saying that. As a singles talent he needs a lot of work and is kind of boring.

Seth is the one, true stand out of Shield.

Yep. I'll eat crow on this one - I thought he had the least potential out of the three. Right now he's the only one who really turned into a true main event talent. That being said, Roman and Dean can still both get there.

somedevil

Okay. Roman is the only person not credited in those great 6 man and tag team matches. How strange.

He gets credit but your missing the point. The team was masking his flaws and when he went to a single wrestler his flaws were exposed. He needed another year to build him up but they shoved him into the spot lot to soon.

notworksafe

I watched a lot of those 6 man matches leading up to this WM and there's a reason for that. He mostly didn't do shit. Took a few hits, did a move or two, then tagged out for the rest of the match (or did a spear at the end to set up a win).

Fox318

So guys.....are we truly in a turn around here?

I mean, Mania was good even when people feared the worst.

Raw was great as a follow up.

We even have a reason to watch Smackdown this week.

WTF is going on here?

main event of raw had big show and Kane and they just gave Big Show a huge win on TV.

RP912

Banned
This DDP/Bret match is good as hell. Back and back without no punches pulled.

On another note with Mania 31 being out of the way. Did it truly surpassed 30 or it was just a good Mania?

I still feel as though Mania 30 was the best one yet because of the atmosphere, the matches, and the fact that it felt like a new beginning. WM 31 was good despite the card looking like shit and the worst buildup since WM9. However, it just didn't hit me as hard as last years.

Kaladin

main event of raw had big show and Kane and they just gave Big Show a huge win on TV.

Big Show and Kane are Seth's lackeys though, they're going to be featured heavily on TV as long as he's champ, but go nowhere because they're only stooges.

Deal with it.

dbTYnMa.gif

strobogo

Banned
He gets credit but your missing the point. The team was masking his flaws and when he went to a single wrestler his flaws were exposed. He needed another year to build him up but they shoved him into the spot lot to soon.

Again, Seth and Dean's flaws were hidden in the group as well. Seth is the only member of the group to have overcome and improved upon his flaws since the break up, and that took him a solid 6 months of intensive promo work on every show. Dean has proven himself to be very limited in the ring and delivered a lot of goofy/bad promos like Roman. So what is the difference between Dean and Roman?

1. Dean was on the indies, so he's automatically better
2. Dean wasn't marked as the next top guy
3. Dean is white

Which one is it?

Top Bottom