• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| Porsha! Get my damn shoe!

Hasney

CESARO VS AMBROSE IN A NO ROPES EXPLOSION DEATHMATCH

B4FADFFF0C274CAE1E187AE4ACB706BE50DCFCF3

STOP THE DAMN MATCH, RVD HAS A FAMILY

2048x1152.resizedimage

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Themed PPVs? Halloween Havoc is GOAT-tier, always enjoyed Bash at the Beach as well. I have a soft spot for WCW PPVs' themes. Never was into too many WWE ones. WCW's Starrcade always felt very special as well.

RP912

Banned
Themed PPVs? Halloween Havoc is GOAT-tier, always enjoyed Bash at the Beach as well. I have a soft spot for WCW PPVs' themes. Never was into too many WWE ones. WCW's Starrcade always felt very special as well.

WCW was the GOAT of themed ppvs.

You named it they did it.

The promotion did a ppv in the middle of a motorcycle rally.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Road Wild was a great theme too. It felt like a fun event. Fall Brawl was a nice theme but was just a stopgap to HH. Slamboree never felt as important either.

Havoc was always a special time. I would drive up north 8 hours to be with a friend and we would order that PPV and smoke and watch and laugh and cry.

I miss that so much.

RP912

Banned
I think the best themed ppv of all time was Uncensored. I remember marking the fuck out at the thought of a event that threw the rule book out of the window....then I saw the ppv and seen a fucking dq.

Fox318

Honestly its missing so much today.

Every fucking PPV and show have the same set, ramp, lighting rig, arena, ring.

Outside of Mania none of the PPVs feel different.

WWE should have summerslam in outdoor soccer stadiums or baseball fields.

Fuck do a free mega show in central park or something.

Shit like Hog Wild would be awesome today.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I think the best themed ppv of all time was Uncensored. I remember marking the fuck out at the thought of a event that threw the rule book out of the window....then I saw the ppv and seen a fucking dq.

Souled Out's concept was interesting but eventually it turned into just another PPV. I liked the original idea of an nWo PPV.

RP912

Banned
Road Wild was a great theme too. It felt like a fun event. Fall Brawl was a nice theme but was just a stopgap to HH. Slamboree never felt as important either.

Slamboree always felt like a cheap Wrestlemania because of the whole "legends" ordeal. I guess it was WCW's answer to Summerslam since it fit the Springtime feel I suppose....

Havoc was always a special time. I would drive up north 8 hours to be with a friend and we would order that PPV and smoke and watch and laugh and cry.

I miss that so much.

I wanted to go to a WCW show :(. It was like rare for them to do a show up in Philly.

RP912

Banned
Souled Out's concept was interesting but eventually it turned into just another PPV. I liked the original idea of an nWo PPV.

The first Souled Out was glorious despite the hate. The production being in black and white, the troll announcer, and the commentary xD. Honestly, it should have been a one time thing because I seriously didn't see that ppv being a yearly thing.

jmdajr

Feel same. Budget cuts suck.

Fox318

Feel same. Budget cuts suck.

Even if they didn't have to cut the budget they'd still be doing this shit.

Its why NXT feels so fresh compared to WWE.

Its Vince's very narrow view of what wrestling is and its fucking boring considering the talent, resources, and history they have.

You take away NXT and the hope from fans that HHH will provide something new for the future and I think the network numbers are down even lower and even less people are watching.

It would be what Vince wants. Hulkamania with his big Giant american values babyface crushing guys who are 6'9-7'1" in 4 minute matches while the rest of the talking segments are putting over his family and his fake son.

Hex

Banned
Wait, why would you cry?

Hmm
...Black Scorpion, Spin the wheel make the deal, Hogan retiring Flair before being attacked by the masked..um..Brother Bruti...,

This one just has to be copied and pasted:
"The Giant (with The Taskmaster) defeated Hulk Hogan (with Jimmy Hart) by disqualification to win the WCW World Heavyweight Championship (14:30)
Hogan was disqualified after Hart hit the referee with the WCW World Heavyweight Championship belt.
Hart then turned on Hogan by hitting him with the world title belt and became manager of the Dungeon of Doom.
After the match The Yeti came to the ring and assisted Giant in hugging Hogan, so that they were both hugging Hogan at the same time.
Randy Savage came to the ring to try to save Hogan, as did Lex Luger.
Luger turned on Savage by attacking him and then put Hogan in the Torture Rack, joining the Dungeon of Doom.
The Giant took the belt from the referee after the match and left with it; Jimmy Hart later revealed that he had a clause put in the contract that the title could change hands on a disqualification, but a week later on Nitro, The Giant was stripped of the title, because the disqualification was due to Hart's interference, The title belt was later rewarded to the winner of the 3 ring 60 man Battle Royal at WCW World War 3 1995, which was won by Randy Savage."

Hogan Warrior 2, that night had the infamous feed black out during the main event.

Goldberg vs Kronik in a main event....

It just goes on...but THEME wise I agree it was one of my favorites it was just it always had some missed opportunities.

Sephzilla

PPVs don't even get the ramp that Raw/Smackdown gets. The PPV sets feel even cheaper than the TV shows :\

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Titus wouldn't work in BJW. You'll notice I picked shorter, beefier dudes which is the BJW m.o. As soon as BJW got a Sheamus or whatever, you'd immediately go, 'hey what a minute! all these other dudes are short!'

Jun Kasai to WWE.

jmdajr

When I was young I was super intrigued by The Black Scorpion. Today it's seen as one big joke though. :\

If I could see WWE with the eyes of a kid, I wonder what I would think.

On that note I went back to see the first even WWE PPV I ever saw. Summerslam 89.

Hulk Hogan gives Scary Sherri the atomic drop! I guess I had forgotten about it but man times have changed.

Jessie on commentary "HE HIT A WOMAN!"

Toki767

When I was young I was super intrigued by The Black Scorpion. Today it's seen as one big joke though. :\

On that note I went back to see the first even WWE PPV I ever saw. Summerslam 89.

Hulk Hogan gives Scary Sherri the atomic drop! I guess I had forgotten about it but man times have changed.

I kind of wonder if kids these days see Cena as Hogan and Reigns as Warrior.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Polygon catching feelings because someone cracked a joke about their kideo games.
UwnBCo9.gif

At least pro wrestling and anime is a little self aware.

Fox318

I would say kids like guys who win and don't sell but I remember liking guys that didn't fit that mold.

I'd love to see some survey done of younger kids to 14 year olds.

Do bright colors really make that much of a difference in likability? Usos pretty much have Cena's colors but would they be over wearing anything else?

Polygon catching feelings because someone cracked a joke about their kideo games.

At least pro wrestling and anime is a little self aware.

Over Colin Cowherd, race-baiting and dog-whistling professional troll, no less. Anyone giving anything Cowherd has to say is wasting time and energy.

Fox318

PPVs don't even get the ramp that Raw/Smackdown gets. The PPV sets feel even cheaper than the TV shows :\

I watched the 96 raw after the King of the Ring (Also in Green Bay like last night) and its amazing how different the feel is.

I mean I'd be curious if WWE ran a show with a cheaper set would anyone really notice outside of some in the crowd watching promos or ring action on the screen?

Even shit like guys having the same entrance with the same camera angles. Is that really a good thing?

Hex

Banned

It would have been great if Flair had not turned on Sting no less than what had to be 57 times.
Seriously, Flair would turn on him, a month later they would somehow be together again and BAM Flair turned on him again...and then...together again.

klonere

Banned
I watched the 96 raw after the King of the Ring (Also in Green Bay like last night) and its amazing how different the feel is.

I mean I'd be curious if WWE ran a show with a cheaper set would anyone really notice outside of some in the crowd watching promos or ring action on the screen?

Even shit like guys having the same entrance with the same camera angles. Is that really a good thing?

I feel like WWE are 100% set on people being able to instantly recognise something as WWE and thus basically gentrifying their own product.

Top Bottom