• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| Porsha! Get my damn shoe!

NXT house shows are pretty great, guys.

1TpDvD3.png

It's kinda depressing to think that this whole "Connor's Cure" thing has, essentially, been a work by WWE—pimping out their CSR initiatives at the expense of their staff's dignity. I mean, look at this damn tweet. That's all you need to know.

rE588SI.png

I think the point of Tweeting it is to promote the idea that it's a GOOD thing that companies have to be charitable now to get ahead, that it's a sign that people are better and more compassionate for such things being important to them.

Plus, it's what the guy said. Tweeting it is not necessarily an endorsement, just a reporting.

OctoMan

Banned
That Justin Roberts article might be the dumbest shit I've ever read. He's crying about not getting enough credit for being friends with a terminally ill 5 year old. Good lord fuck him.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I think 2 has better fight scenes... although 1 does have JC plummeting to his near death in the mall.

The Mall scene(not just the plummet, the entire thing) is the best action scene I've ever, ever seen. It is engaging start to finish, and it goes on for a long time. The ending with him and the lawyer and all that is a perfect topping off too. People never give the girl in that movie enough credit because everyone gets overshadowed by Jackie going down the pole, but she takes some serious bumps.

The reboot is surprisingly good too.

Sami Zayn was back in action. So him and Owens should be ready for the next NXT taping. Plus Gable has grew his hair out.

Owens did a promo after Zayn's match saying Zayn is not what he used to be since his injury and that there's no way he's getting a title shot until he's ready. They then went back in forth with it ending in Owens saying he'd fight him right now, went into the ring and then backed off saying he just had surgery so he's not ready to fight.

Card so far:
Enzo / Cass b. Vaudvillains
Solomon Crowe b. Chad Gable
Carmella / Bayley b. Becky Lynch / Dana Brooke
Sami Zayn b. Baron Corbin

The Mall scene(not just the plummet, the entire thing) is the best action scene I've ever, ever seen. It is engaging start to finish, and it goes on for a long time. The ending with him and the lawyer and all that is a perfect topping off too. People never give the girl in that movie enough credit because everyone gets overshadowed by Jackie going down the pole, but she takes some serious bumps.

The reboot is surprisingly good too.
Haven't seen the reboot yet. Last Jackie movie I saw was CZ12, it was okay.

All the ladies in JC's prime HK kung fu movies took hellacious bumps.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Haven't seen the reboot yet. Last Jackie movie I saw was CZ12, it was okay.

All the ladies in JC's prime HK kung fu movies took hellacious bumps.

You should watch it. It's honestly his best newer movie and even has an interesting story instead of just 'excuse for jackie to get beat up.'
wlDFl4Z.gif

Owens did a promo after Zayn's match saying Zayn is not what he used to be since his injury and that there's no way he's getting a title shot until he's ready. They then went back in forth with it ending in Owens saying he'd fight him right now, went into the ring and then backed off saying he just had surgery so he's not ready to fight.

Card so far:
Enzo / Cass b. Vaudvillains
Solomon Crowe b. Chad Gable
Carmella / Bayley b. Becky Lynch / Dana Brooke
Sami Zayn b. Baron Corbin
This in Tampa?

jred2k

Prime Time Players shitting on New Day was pretty good.

What were they shitting on them for? Being happy?

They ran them down hard. Made fun of Big E for being too enthusiastic and preacher-like. Made fun of Kofi's pigeon chest and ripped on Xavier Woods for having a "Personal hair disaster" because it's "nappy". Then they started chanting New Day to the sound of crickets chirping. It was mainly Titus, but it was a pretty good inset-type promo to set up a feud.

The timestamp on thise video is about 4:58 http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2lapaj#user_search=1

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
We havin' fun in Nerd Chat:
23OZfxG.png

Come visit and play

NoRéN

That Justin Roberts article might be the dumbest shit I've ever read. He's crying about not getting enough credit for being friends with a terminally ill 5 year old. Good lord fuck him.
Mind elaborating? I feel like I read a different article.

Really enjoyed the Roman interview. Naomi-Nattie was short and sweet, as was Nattie's neckline. Cena's U.S. Title challenge is so great. Kurt Angle answering this challenge would be a fun little callback to Cena's debut...ain't gonna happen though.THIS IS RUSEV COUNTRY! THIS IS RUSEV WORLD! Everything with Cena and Rusev ruled. Ditto the whole Bryan-Sheamus thing. Barrett stole the show on commentary and the match itself gave Sheamus a time to shine as a badass heel. I love his new entrance presentation. His spotlight and Celtic God of War theme combo work well and he added some new moves to his offense. The blood was a surprise and if this had been the Raw main event, they'd have solidified the IC Title as a main event-level title.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2015/04/wwe-smackdown-4-2-15.html

Screens -

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/nvwni13v9m7tzqctepig0vy1as56o9cb

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Assuming they don't water it down I think they might have struck gold with Sheamus. He still cares about fighting, fella, but he also cares about bringing despair to the vanilla midgets and midcarders reaching for the brass ring.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I've posted some times in the past, mostly a lurker, but I would like to say something in regards to what has been brought up a few pages back.

It's really hard to take part in this thread, or even read this thread, for me when so much of it is wrapped up in negativity and attacks and such a dim view of what is going on in wrestling. I can't really say I want to talk very much if I enjoyed a match on Raw or Main Event for example, but I come in here and see such hostility toward all of it, where two people like Ceasaro and Kofi can do a decent match (randomly picked as examples) but the only talk occurring is how Vince hates Swiss and Kofi clock or commentary ruins everything rather than the match itself.
It's not that I'm afraid or get the impression I can't come in here and talk about what I like on WWE shows, and I have read many a praising comment before so I know it exists, but when a show isn't great it sometimes feels like these threads can make me feel as though those shows were worse than they actually were before I read the thread. Focusing on what we don't like, almost to the point where anything good is ignored or dismissed, takes away so much.

Indy could be brought up, but it's too often changed to "stupid indy shit" or "flippy nonsense" or "vanilla midget" and other such repeated jokes. The message is, outside of a few guys expected to make it big in one of the main promotions, indy is "junk" and not worth really talking about unless it's to mock or be disgusted by.
Even if they are a higher name, it's still "Samoa Joe is fat" or "yes I said small" or "stupid indy flip" or "short camera man" or the matches rarely matter and it's more about how they aren't WWE or TNA more than it's ever any actual matches that take place.

Women such as Kaitlyn, AJ Lee, Hana, and more are attractive women to be sure, but when so much of it is "look at their butt", what does that come across as? If I enjoyed Paige vs Nikki Bella, even if not a great match or even anything compared to an average Stardom or SHIMMER match, how could I get into the conversation when the only thing thought about the match is photos of their arse or talking about how they never get any time to do something decent or "WWE is so awful, NXT is better in every way for WOMEN'S wrestling"? Those things may be worth discussing and rather valid, but if the match is viewed as inconsequential in order to talk about how it's all wrong and terrible, I see it as the match is just something to skip past or not worth talking about.
Now some things have changed and more discussion on Japanese women's wrestling has come up, and I have enjoyed reading people's thoughts on that or revisiting them. Likewise TNA has gotten some praise again these past several months, but I'm talking overall since I started looking at these threads in 2012.

It can be fun when everyone is comfortable enough with each other to jest with each other, to have gags or can rile them up in a friendly nature, but it often got to the point where I just didn't want to see yet another fight and bickering between two individuals either as characters or just a sheer dislike of each other's behaviour. A good hearty discussion is fine, even disagreement with neither side budging is understanding, but insults and attacks (be it in a character or not) just means more I will try to skip past or keep me from posting all together.

It's not even always about wrestling. Sometimes it's just "everything outside of this thread is awful and terrible" or "did you see how awful that other part of GAF is?".

Now I've barely posted in the past anyroad and I doubt many even recall me ever saying anything at all since I've had little to no presence in so many of these threads. I'm not saying to change behaviour or stop doing what you are doing, I'm not much of a community member after all. So everything I said doesn't matter very much, but it should be known that at least for one mostly lurker, it's hard to get into a thread when it makes it harder to enjoy wrestling and there is a lot that feels like it's not worth talking about.

I still like WrasslingGAF, I'm still going to lurk and randomly post once every two to three months, but it would be nice to feel like this is a thread that appreciates and enjoys wrestling and shares it with others of something thought. Right now, seeing some people actually enjoying Smackdown, does a lot.

Paul Heyman cuts promos about his family being cannibals ...

Something I feel is missed a lot of time this comes up. It was said he was one generation removed from cannibals, which is "true" in terms of wrestling history. The Wild Samoans sometimes used the gimmick of "the cannibals" in Canada like IWA, and parts of the NWA. They even did it before they were "wild" and simply just The Islanders and went out as heels against The Crusaders or Kangaroos.

Nothing about the point of your original post or what it was referring to, just something to note.

MG310

Assuming they don't water it down I think they might have struck gold with Sheamus. He still cares about fighting, fella, but he also cares about bringing despair to the vanilla midgets and midcarders reaching for the brass ring.

Seems like the perfect character for Neville to feud with eventually.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Man I like stuff on RAW all the time and straight talk about it on this thread. Yeah, there are people who seemingly hate watch WWE but that seems like a total waste of time to me.

strobogo

Banned
I've posted some times in the past, mostly a lurker, but I would like to say something in regards to what has been brought up a few pages back.

It's really hard to take part in this thread, or even read this thread, for me when so much of it is wrapped up in negativity and attacks and such a dim view of what is going on in wrestling. I can't really say I want to talk very much if I enjoyed a match on Raw or Main Event for example, but I come in here and see such hostility toward all of it, where two people like Ceasaro and Kofi can do a decent match (randomly picked as examples) but the only talk occurring is how Vince hates Swiss and Kofi clock or commentary ruins everything rather than the match itself.
It's not that I'm afraid or get the impression I can't come in here and talk about what I like on WWE shows, and I have read many a praising comment before so I know it exists, but when a show isn't great it sometimes feels like these threads can make me feel as though those shows were worse than they actually were before I read the thread. Focusing on what we don't like, almost to the point where anything good is ignored or dismissed, takes away so much.

Indy could be brought up, but it's too often changed to "stupid indy shit" or "flippy nonsense" or "vanilla midget" and other such repeated jokes. The message is, outside of a few guys expected to make it big in one of the main promotions, indy is "junk" and not worth really talking about unless it's to mock or be disgusted by.
Even if they are a higher name, it's still "Samoa Joe is fat" or "yes I said small" or "stupid indy flip" or "short camera man" or the matches rarely matter and it's more about how they aren't WWE or TNA more than it's ever any actual matches that take place.

Women such as Kaitlyn, AJ Lee, Hana, and more are attractive women to be sure, but when so much of it is "look at their butt", what does that come across as? If I enjoyed Paige vs Nikki Bella, even if not a great match or even anything compared to an average Stardom or SHIMMER match, how could I get into the conversation when the only thing thought about the match is photos of their arse or talking about how they never get any time to do something decent or "WWE is so awful, NXT is better in every way for WOMEN'S wrestling"? Those things may be worth discussing and rather valid, but if the match is viewed as inconsequential in order to talk about how it's all wrong and terrible, I see it as the match is just something to skip past or not worth talking about.
Now some things have changed and more discussion on Japanese women's wrestling has come up, and I have enjoyed reading people's thoughts on that or revisiting them. Likewise TNA has gotten some praise again these past several months, but I'm talking overall since I started looking at these threads in 2012.

It can be fun when everyone is comfortable enough with each other to jest with each other, to have gags or can rile them up in a friendly nature, but it often got to the point where I just didn't want to see yet another fight and bickering between two individuals either as characters or just a sheer dislike of each other's behaviour. A good hearty discussion is fine, even disagreement with neither side budging is understanding, but insults and attacks (be it in a character or not) just means more I will try to skip past or keep me from posting all together.

It's not even always about wrestling. Sometimes it's just "everything outside of this thread is awful and terrible" or "did you see how awful that other part of GAF is?".

Now I've barely posted in the past anyroad and I doubt many even recall me ever saying anything at all since I've had little to no presence in so many of these threads. I'm not saying to change behaviour or stop doing what you are doing, I'm not much of a community member after all. So everything I said doesn't matter very much, but it should be known that at least for one mostly lurker, it's hard to get into a thread when it makes it harder to enjoy wrestling and there is a lot that feels like it's not worth talking about.

I still like WrasslingGAF, I'm still going to lurk and randomly post once every two to three months, but it would be nice to feel like this is a thread that appreciates and enjoys wrestling and shares it with others of something thought. Right now, seeing some people actually enjoying Smackdown, does a lot.

Something I feel is missed a lot of time this comes up. It was said he was one generation removed from cannibals, which is "true" in terms of wrestling history. The Wild Samoans sometimes used the gimmick of "the cannibals" in Canada like IWA, and parts of the NWA. They even did it before they were "wild" and simply just The Islanders and went out as heels against The Crusaders or Kangaroos.

Nothing about the point of your original post or what it was referring to, just something to note.

I agree with most of this post. All the women creep shots are terrible. And people who still shit on the Bellas obviously haven't been watching for the past year when they've both improved dramatically. AJ is the worst active Diva on the roster and I'll never back down from that. She brings everyone down and I don't think it was a coincidence that she spent 90% of the WM dead on the floor.

As to the Heyman promo, might point was that people weren't like "hey, that's kind of racist right?" but instead laughing because Samoans seem to not be treated as a "safe" minority, in the sense that people feel comfortable saying crazy shit about them that they wouldn't say about black/Asian/Hispanic/Indian/whatever people. Pointing that out was essentially the Uso's gimmick when they debuted. But that was dropped and eventually they adopted the hard heads and most stereotypes associated with Samoan wrestlers over the year. And people bring up the "brother is Samoan" jokes constantly with them. What Carnby took so personal was just a question asking if ethnicity was ONE reason people online treat Dean and Roman differently despite Dean not being much better than Roman since the breakup of Shield.

Even within kayfabe, the Wild Samoans being "savage cannibals" kind of stuff was dropped in the 80s when they turned face. No one is going to say Rock is one generation away from being a cannibal.

Roman was good/great in his Mania match. Only had like 4 moves but the main thing is they all worked fine in the storytelling of the match. Brock would have overshadowed anyone in that match, he was on fucking fire that night. Roman sold well enough and made some really stiff looking moves that fit in perfectly with the match. In terms of longer, depth matches I'm interested to see if he can improve (I wasn't hot on his match with Bryan tbh). Hopefully someone tells Vince/writers to lay off the shit scripts he gets and let Roman dictate more of his own content because it's night and day between his obviously off the cuff stuff versus most of his Raw/PPV promos.

WWE finally made a replica Money In The Bank briefcase.

11050799_874794275897791_8289594066070003395_n.jpg

It's $74.99

Shame it's not metal, I would have fun putting dents into it.

$75 for a plastic briefcase is insane. Cannot fathom paying that much money.

If they are going to do free months it wouldn't be a bad idea.

Well yeah, 3 out of the 6 months I subscribed for were given away for free to others >_<

Definitely looking forward to month by month sub.

100 bucks for a boxing pay per view featuring two fighters past their prime is ridiculous.

Especially when we paid only 10 bucks and got to see 6+ wrestlers past their prime last week!

Pentagon had a promo that was like 'My team sucks, but I'm awesome so fuck it I'll still win.' which was awesome.
tumblr_nm5z53acTl1snhdpvo1_500.gif

HOLY SHIT that looked awesome.

The Arnold part of HHH's entrance was pretty lame. Everything else was a mix of cheesy/cool. Then again, it's the Terminator so cheesy/cool comes with the territory so I guess it was a nice entrance.

Sting's anime drums was pretty weird, though. I wonder why they chose to go that route; maybe because Sting's facepaint kinda-sorta-almost looks like kabuki facepaint?

Tatsumi Fujinami was going into the Hall of Fame, seems like they did a bunch of stuff to appeal to the Japanese press (Itami going into the Battle Royal rather than Balor).

Bloodborne is so good. Pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoy the game. The satisfication of landing a counter with the gun is great. On the second boss right now. I don't find him to be too difficult. I just become impatient and move in too soon and just eat a combo.

I took down the first boss on my second try. Holy shit this game. Feels amazing. I still remember how insanely hard it felt to get through the first 3 enemies, now I can breeze through that whole run with the bonfire and up through the werewolves.
I ended up killing the boss by tossing a molotov in his face which staggered him and pulled off the massive hit thing. Was really cool.

I'd probably put Warrior over Undertaker and Foley.

That's super interesting, I wasn't around for that era so I have no real idea on how huge Warrior was. I really need to spend some time this weekend going through early WWF PPV's.

Provide 1 reason why you feel WrassleGAF is on the decline

Provide 1 thing that would make WrassleGAF better that is not a removal of a particular member

Decline - biggest promotion in wrestling has hit its peak for the year and will ebb and flow from here on out until the start of next year (I don't think this thread is on a major decline though tbh)

Better - Funny screenshot caption competitions! More stuff like the avatar rumble. Positive stuff!

Let's spend more time being happy for Seth and less time being angry at Reigns. Hell Seth's cock almost ruined everything for him. Let's be thankful Vince forgave.

I can sense a new NSFW version of the Vince-bodybuilder.gif coming on...

strobogo

Banned
If we can do some real talk, I don't believe at all that Undertaker was ever a mainstream draw. All these years of the myth of the streak being this big draw for WM, I don't believe that is true. At least not in the sense that people who only kind of pay attention or haven't watched in years would see "Undertaker tries to go 18-0 at WM" are going to give a shit at all. It's a draw to people who are already going to buy the show or buy tickets. The mainstream appeal of Taker has always been vastly overrated. Same with HBK.

RP912

Banned
If we can do some real talk, I don't believe at all that Undertaker was ever a mainstream draw. All these years of the myth of the streak being this big draw for WM, I don't believe that is true. At least not in the sense that people who only kind of pay attention or haven't watched in years would see "Undertaker tries to go 18-0 at WM" are going to give a shit at all. It's a draw to people who are already going to buy the show or buy tickets. The mainstream appeal of Taker has always been vastly overrated. Same with HBK.

I actually agree with this post. As much as The Undertaker was dope to watch, dude is nowhere on my top ten at all. I never understood the hype surrounding him when his best work was as Mean Mark Calloway. The only time I actually gave a shit about Taker was doing his Big Evil gimmick.

Let's keep it real...dude couldn't even save the WWF/E during the new generation era when Teddy was kicking that ass in the ratings.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Undertaker was MASSIVE on the house shows. The Takerverse was born from basically the moment of his original face turn. He used to own Superstars. Sure, his interactions with the real WWF universe didn't really start to matter until the streak became a thing but it still makes him the WWE's ultimate Scotty Pippen.

HBK always had his fans, which would turn him face from time to time. He sucked as a face, so he'd turn heel. He'd also take 2-3 months off a year, drove out a bunch of business, was clearly drugged up half the time in the 90's, and only really learned to cut a great promo in the very last years of his final run. All that aside I still love him.

Top Bottom