• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| Porsha! Get my damn shoe!

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Undertaker was always a draw as much or above anyone else in Japan and Mexico where the theatrics of his entrance are appreciated greatly because it fits the culture more and puts him above most every other wrestler.

In the States and when they visited most of Europe I would agree. People wanted to see him in large numbers, but it was the icing on the cake of whomever was the bigger/more desired name be it Hogan or Austin or Rock or Hart or Dynamite Kidd or Bull Dog or what have you.

This Wrestle Kingdom 6 is good man...

NOAh and NJPW duking it out until there's no one left.

I feel bad for the CMLL guys having to be on the same card as that. A year prior they could have been given more focus, but not when there was NJPW vs NOAH.

Yes I know TNA was on Wrestle Kingdom 5, but no one talked about that after the show had ended.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The fact that he stayed relevant at all until Mankind showed up is a wonder in itself. He has some of the worst feuds ever and even him and Bret meeting never came off well. In fact his best opponent before Mankind is inarguably Big Daddy Cool.

RP912

Banned
Who could forget Mabel/Taker where Mabel wore Taker's urn as a gold chain. The New Generation era had some gems.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Sad thing is I've seen the entire Million Dollar Corporation versus Taker feud and the best match by far is...against King Kong Bundy.

I do still love the Yoko casket match where literally the entire heel roster comes out to put him in the double wide, double deep casket.

strobogo

Banned
Undertaker was MASSIVE on the house shows. The Takerverse was born from basically the moment of his original face turn. He used to own Superstars. Sure, his interactions with the real WWF universe didn't really start to matter until the streak became a thing but it still makes him the WWE's ultimate Scotty Pippen.

HBK always had his fans, which would turn him face from time to time. He sucked as a face, so he'd turn heel. He'd also take 2-3 months off a year, drove out a bunch of business, was clearly drugged up half the time in the 90's, and only really learned to cut a great promo in the very last years of his final run. All that aside I still love him.

Is there any actual evidence Taker was good for business? He's the most "wrestling is stupid" character pretty much ever. His most dominant periods were during down swings. I don't think he pops a buy rate. I don't think he has mainstream appeal. I think he's an actor's actor type of wrestler, who appeals to a certain subset that are always going to buy what is sold. And I feel like that group was brain washed to believe he was this incredible draw and attraction on the likes of Andre, because WWF was telling you that constantly as early as 1996. The mythology of the Undertaker only applies to wrestling fans is what I'm saying. People who aren't regular followers don't give a shit about him or the streak. I think.

Having recently watched 1996-early 2000, the hype that Taker gets in insane. Saying he's the greatest ever in 1997 when he had only been having not awful matches for about 6 months. Directly equating him with Andre repeatedly. Even the streak itself. About half of them are meaningless and bad matches that no one gave a shit about. He's one of the CLASSIC "Wrestling is so fake and hokey" guys of all time, no matter how many great matches he's had. I truly believe that most of the casual/part time/once or twice a year viewers have never given a shit about him and his come backs never meant anything to people who weren't going to watch regardless. I genuinely do not believe that the WM streak has ever been a deciding factor into people buying WM.

RP912

Banned
Sad thing is I've seen the entire Million Dollar Corporation versus Taker feud and the best match by far is...against King Kong Bundy.

I do still love the Yoko casket match where literally the entire heel roster comes out to put him in the double wide, double deep casket.

Oh yeah I loved that match. I still get chills on how well that match was executed from the random heels to Taker cutting a promo inside of the casket and levitating into air.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The only time the streak might have sold a show was, interestingly enough for this topic, the first HBK and Taker match.

Kids always loved face taker though, it was clear watching all those 1993-1995 ppvs and his occasional RAW appearances. Yes, it was manufactured, but it was done well.

RP912

Banned
Another thing about Taker is that he seemed like one of those "Deeper than Wrestling" type of dudes. I mean the guy that takes care of issues that Vince needs to be resolved. Dude just seems like he does dirt for the sake of the business *no pun*.

I guess it's his low key demeanor outside of wrestling.

Vylash

pO0jPgi.jpg

we in there, fam

I can live with Undertaker's entire existence because it gave way to Biker Taker and also made possible the entire WM feud with Punk, because only in wrestling can you dump the fake ashes of your rival's actual dead friend on your enemy to prove a point, then lick said ashes off your hand, thereby swallowing Paul Bearer's soul.

Basically what I'm saying is that CM Punk is the real Undertaker.

strobogo

Banned
The only time the streak might have sold a show was, interestingly enough for this topic, the first HBK and Taker match.

Kids always loved face taker though, it was clear watching all those 1993-1995 ppvs and his occasional RAW appearances. Yes, it was manufactured, but it was done well.

I'm not saying he wasn't super over or anything. I don't think he was a draw to non-wrestling fans. I don't believe he has ever been the "Oh, I have to see this guy" type.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm not saying he wasn't super over or anything. I don't think he was a draw to non-wrestling fans. I don't believe he has ever been the "Oh, I have to see this guy" type.

Yeah, that makes sense. Not like there are ever that many of those guys. Rock is whenever he returns. So is Brock actually. Austin was. Hogan was. Warrior was.

Savage...hmm, probably was.

notworksafe

I dunno about that. Almost every time I've talked to a long lapsed wrestling fan after the mentions of Hogan and Savage, one of the next things they say is a variation "Is Undertaker still around? He was cool".

I think him always being around as a staple player for WWE cemented him as A Wrestler To Like in people's minds.

Is there any actual evidence Taker was good for business? He's the most "wrestling is stupid" character pretty much ever. His most dominant periods were during down swings. I don't think he pops a buy rate. I don't think he has mainstream appeal. I think he's an actor's actor type of wrestler, who appeals to a certain subset that are always going to buy what is sold. And I feel like that group was brain washed to believe he was this incredible draw and attraction on the likes of Andre, because WWF was telling you that constantly as early as 1996. The mythology of the Undertaker only applies to wrestling fans is what I'm saying. People who aren't regular followers don't give a shit about him or the streak. I think.

Having recently watched 1996-early 2000, the hype that Taker gets in insane. Saying he's the greatest ever in 1997 when he had only been having not awful matches for about 6 months. Directly equating him with Andre repeatedly. Even the streak itself. About half of them are meaningless and bad matches that no one gave a shit about. He's one of the CLASSIC "Wrestling is so fake and hokey" guys of all time, no matter how many great matches he's had. I truly believe that most of the casual/part time/once or twice a year viewers have never given a shit about him and his come backs never meant anything to people who weren't going to watch regardless. I genuinely do not believe that the WM streak has ever been a deciding factor into people buying WM.

Super anecdotal but my brother who mostly never cared for wrestling would ask about Taker. Then again he would also ask about the Hurricane occasionally so I'm not sure he'd fit in the normal once a year watcher category.

notworksafe

On the topic of NXT, who is this Jason Jordan fella? He was at the SJ show and at Axxess and I don't remember seeing him before.

He has an okay if boring look, but otherwise he was kinda a nothing dude. Did a couple cool "feat of strength" type moves on Bull though.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
On the topic of NXT, who is this Jason Jordan fella? He was at the SJ show and at Axxess and I don't remember seeing him before.

He has an okay if boring look, but otherwise he was kinda a nothing dude. Did a couple cool "feat of strength" type moves on Bull though.

Used to tag with Tye Dillinger. I hope he gets a better name, somehow.

I laughed because the LAW said that Stan Lee would never give someone that plain of a name.

Motherfuckers, there's Steve Rogers, Scott Summers, this shit is right on that same level...

Barrage

Watching the latest Lucha episode...Uhh, Big Rick's getting booed now? Did he turn Heel by having two black friends?

notworksafe

Yeah his name is super generic. Took me a bit to even remember the dude's name. He's one of the few I'd agree with being referred to as a Create A Wrestler. Outfit, haircut, name, and all.

KissVibes

Banned
This is the dorkiest looking shit: https://instagram.com/p/0_A9mXBgGC/

Alex Riley is suuuch a fucking goober.

Used to tag with Tye Dillinger. I hope he gets a better name, somehow.

I laughed because the LAW said that Stan Lee would never give someone that plain of a name.

Motherfuckers, there's Steve Rogers, Scott Summers, this shit is right on that same level...

Steve Rogers is the like most American name.

Also, they can just give Jason Jordan a new name. It doesn't really matter since he probably won't make it to the main roster and the NXT crowd doesn't really give a shit about name changes.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I think there's only one solution because I have to make sure it's not me, but I think maybe what's dragging this thread down -is- me. I'm going to take a break, like Alucard has. I'll be back when he's back to posting in here. We'll see if things get better without my influence that, I admit, is pretty bad.

I'll see you all in a...while? I'll still be in nerd chat, but...you know.

2Hd7uzP.gif

I think there's only one solution because I have to make sure it's not me, but I think maybe what's dragging this thread down -is- me. I'm going to take a break, like Alucard has. I'll be back when he's back to posting in here. We'll see if things get better without my influence that, I admit, is pretty bad.

2Hd7uzP.gif

RaptorJesus.gif

Vylash

2Hd7uzP.gif

9KG9LxD.gif

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I think he left because he knew he would never get GWF 3.0 going and didn't want a continual reminder of this shame.

2Hd7uzP.gif
Data West, we're looking to you to guide us now. Grab that brass ring.

Yes.

Rest of the card:

Sasha Banks b. Charlotte
Blake and Murphy b. Dash Wilder and Scott Dawson
Tye Dillinger b. Digg Rawlis
Finn Balor b. Tyler Breeze
Let me tell you a true funny story. Couple of buddies and I drove up to Tampa 2 Saturdays ago to watch nxt live in Tampa only to find out it was rescheduled. My stupid ass didn't check my emails that week so I drove 550 miles within the span of 12 hours. I was pretty upset and got decently drunk that night when I returned to South Florida. Hope it was a great show.

Let me tell you a true funny story. Couple of buddies and I drove up to Tampa 2 Saturdays ago to watch nxt live in Tampa only to find out it was rescheduled. My stupid ass didn't check my emails that week so I drove 550 miles within the span of 12 hours. I was pretty upset and got decently drunk that night when I returned to South Florida. Hope it was a great show.

It was definitely a great show. Balor / Breeze match included a spot where, while Breeze was down, Balor went and hid under the ring. When Breeze got up, he got up in the face of someone in the crowd who was painted up like Balor, allowing Balor to sneak up behind him. It also ended with Finn grabbing Breeze's phone and filming a video of the Coup de Grâce and the pin. Also, Bayley and Carmella managed to keep the show FnP.

Although they said it was a sold out show, it was a bit emptier than usual. I guess you weren't the only one that forgot about the rescheduling. They return to Tampa May 1st.

I agree that 'Taker was probably never as big as WWE said he was. However, after the Attitude Era, it's probably fair to say that him being at Wrestlemania may have been a thread that kept the casual or lapsed fans coming back, especially when he got so damn good later in his career. "Oh, Undertaker's gonna be there? Hmm, maybe I'll give it a shot." That kind of thing. You have your guys that are there to get tons of people in the door, and you have your guys that are there to help keep'em coming via entertainment and presence. Taker was more the latter than the former, but he was good at what he did.

Top Bottom