• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| Porsha! Get my damn shoe!

I like how Sunny keeps taking the blame from things when we all goddamn well know who the real assholes are around here.

The best solution; ignore list for everybody!

I know not everyone's a fan of the British wrestling style, but if you've never seen it before spare 10 or so minutes to watch this great little match with a young Dynamite Kid defending his British Light Heavyweight Title against veteran Tony Scarlo. Some fantastic hold-for-hold stuff here, plus Dynamite gets to show flashes of his speed and agility. Scarlo's a delight to watch as well, everything he does is so smooth and he sells in that great understated sort of way a lot of the old British guys did. Well worth a watch, friends;

Dynamite Kid (c) vs Tony Scarlo - British Light Heavyweight Title - (World of Sport 1977/10/13)

7LvAMXM.gif
Zfz2Xbt.gif

Patryn

As a lurker and only very occasional poster in this thread, I think its biggest problems are the "gimmicks" and especially the beefs, either real or purely for humor, between the various posters.

While a community thread will inevitable have some direct interactions between specific posters there is often a hell of a lot of it here, most of which reads antagonistic (whether genuine or not), which helps to create the impression that this place is a lot more insular than it actually is.

But that's just my opinion.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I usually associate Undertaker with a Flair type. Somebody who's going to be big and over with anyone who ever took wrestling remotely seriously but not somebody who's going to pull new people in like a Rock or Hogan or Austin or Andre or even a Warrior or Macho.

No idea how you quantify regions vs touring companies, but I could see an argument to be made for the Von Erichs being more over than Undertaker of Foley as well. Road Warriors is another one.

strobogo

Banned
I know not everyone's a fan of the British wrestling style, but if you've never seen it before spare 10 or so minutes to watch this great little match with a young Dynamite Kid defending his British Light Heavyweight Title against veteran Tony Scarlo. Some fantastic hold-for-hold stuff here, plus Dynamite gets to show flashes of his speed and agility. Scarlo's a delight to watch as well, everything he does is so smooth and he sells in that great understated sort of way a lot of the old British guys did. Well worth a watch, friends;

Dynamite Kid (c) vs Tony Scarlo - British Light Heavyweight Title - (World of Sport 1977/10/13)

7LvAMXM.gif
Zfz2Xbt.gif

Are there any British matches that actually use the rounds system as part of the psychology of the match? Like guys holding off in submissions because the round is almost over, trying to cheat at the end of the round, etc. Every time I've watched old British stuff, the round system is just a momentum killer.

Are there any British matches that actually use the rounds system as part of the psychology of the match? Like guys holding off in submissions because the round is almost over, trying to cheat at the end of the round, etc. Every time I've watched old British stuff, the round system is just a momentum killer.

You see it sometimes when the announcer says there's 20 seconds remaining, the faster guys will try and turn up the pace and get a quick pin. Heels like Syd Cooper will try all sorts of tricks to waste time if a round isn't going in their favour. Also, I just watched a real solid heavyweight match between Tiger Dalibar Singh and Ray Steele that used the rounds well, but it was structured more like a 2/3 falls match. I generally prefer 2/3 falls to the rounds system, as you said it could often be quite deflating, momentum-wise.

BFIB

I was watching IYH: Mind Games last night, and it is just crazy how many of these guys are gone. :(

Its kind of odd seeing Pillman out there knowing that he'd be gone less than a year later.

As a lurker and only very occasional poster in this thread, I think its biggest problems are the "gimmicks" and especially the beefs, either real or purely for humor, between the various posters.

While a community thread will inevitable have some direct interactions between specific posters there is often a hell of a lot of it here, most of which reads antagonistic (whether genuine or not), which helps to create the impression that this place is a lot more insular than it actually is.

I agree with this as a fellow occasional poster, mostly lurker.

I was watching IYH: Mind Games last night, and it is just crazy how many of these guys are gone. :(

Its kind of odd seeing Pillman out there knowing that he'd be gone less than a year later.

What's also odd is how many of the guys from the territory era are still going strong.

StevieWhite

I dunno if I qualify as a lurker, but I don't know if I find this place insular or uninviting. I post once or twice a day, sometimes people respond, sometimes they don't, but whatever... the gifs are funny and nobody has ever forced their opinion down my throat. No different than any other forum, really.

kiguel182

Taker is a very memorable character and a constant in Wrestlemania. That's why casuals ask about him or why they are drawn to him if they are watching a more recent event.

He might not bring new people in but is that guy that casuals always remember because he is cool and spans so many years that you are bound to have seen him if you have watched wrestling in the past couple of decades.

Ithil

Just saw the most disgusting match I've seen so far, the Nail Hell match from IWA. It ends with
Hiroshi Ono being powerbombed onto a bed of six inch nails. The last five minutes is people taking him to an ambulance while he's impaled on the board.

CZW hasn't got shit on it. Also the match sucked.

Just saw the most disgusting match I've seen so far, the Nail Hell match from IWA. It ends with
Hiroshi Ono being powerbombed onto a bed of six inch nails. The last five minutes is people taking him to an ambulance while he's impaled on the board.

Why the hell would that ever be a thing? I don't even miss chair shots to the head.

RP912

Banned
IWA is the most bottom of the barrel promotion for hardcore wrestling. At least CZW tries to be safe every so often.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I think it's funny that light tubes used to be the 'oh shit' weapon like 10 years ago now they're more regular than chair shots. In another 10 years, dudes will be hitting themselves willingly over the head with razor boards and guns will be the 'oh shit' weapon

I think it's funny that light tubes used to be the 'oh shit' weapon like 10 years ago now they're more regular than chair shots. In another 10 years, dudes will be hitting themselves willingly over the head with razor boards and guns will be the 'oh shit' weapon

Light tubes becoming commonplace isn't surprising, it's a cool visual effect that has a relatively low risk compared to some other deathmatch gimmicks. I'd say we're at the limit of crazy deathmatch gimmicks, stuff like razor boards and gusset plates aren't commonplace because they're so dangerous. I saw a four corners of hell cage match in IWA Deep South and no one used the 4th corner because it was a razor board, lol. Freakshow ended up tipping the board over the ropes with the blades facing outward so no one would get cut with it.

What is this, an MDickie game?

For those not in the know, there is a version of an MDickie iOS wrestling game no longer available where you could literally bring a loaded gun (with unlimited ammunition) to the ring and literally shoot wrestlers over and over. It was magical.

Hasney

What is this, an MDickie game?

For those not in the know, there is a version of an MDickie iOS wrestling game no longer available where you could literally bring a loaded gun (with unlimited ammunition) to the ring and literally shoot wrestlers over and over. It was magical.

Pretty sure that;s still available on Android.

Hasney

No, no. The game itself is still on iOS as well. There's a specific update that included this functionality which MDickie eventually double backed on and took out because of fan outcry.

Not even joking.

Ohhhh, probably why I've still got it then. My Kindle doesn't auto-update.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
No matter how much extreme death match stuff I've seen, the two worst things for me by far are
1) Balcony Dives(your fucking knees)
2)Barefoot matches(you can't really look out for sharp shit on the ground while having one of these matches.)

The unsafest thing about BJW matches is probably the ring though
KuGsj.gif
shit is gross.

Funniest thing about Japanese deathmatch wrestling -- The massive young female following for guys like Kasai and Jaki. Like Kodaka makes some sense, but the amount of teenage girls you see with photos with these scarred up, bloody, toothless dudes buying their shirts and shit and posting collages of them.

Explains Mick Foley's wife, really.

RP912

Banned
I thought light tubes weren't safe in deathmatches because of the vapors once they get smashed.

I remember watching 1000 ways to die and it had a story on some backyard wrestlers that used tubes and dude crack one of the wrestler with one. Once the dude inhaled the vapors he ended up dying after a while.

I dunno if I qualify as a lurker, but I don't know if I find this place insular or uninviting. I post once or twice a day, sometimes people respond, sometimes they don't, but whatever... the gifs are funny and nobody has ever forced their opinion down my throat. No different than any other forum, really.

We're happy to have you :)

If I had a dollar for every time people blamed my generation for something, I'd have enough money to afford a house in the economy they ruined.

Good morning, friends
205s780.gif

Isn't that the Leatherface incident that got him fired?

jesus, what the shit
If I had a dollar for every time people blamed my generation for something, I'd have enough money to afford a house in the economy they ruined.

Good morning, friends
205s780.gif

my dude.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Millenial needs to be a banned word FAR before carny or HH tweet.

HH tweet is fucking gospel. It's not a meme. It's sage advice from the Hulkster that we should all look at when we take ourselves too seriously. I would put it in every OT if I had the power.

w960.jpg

midnight somewhere

I also think Polly's actually really got potential, the times I've seen her she's got a really fun in ring attitude of just never give up (TM John Cena), can see her gritting her teeth and fighting through beatdowns, stuff like that. I'm not explaining it well, but she's good. Haven't seen any Addy Star yet.

Millenial needs to be a banned word FAR before carny or HH tweet.

HH tweet is fucking gospel. It's not a meme. It's sage advice from the Hulkster that we should all look at when we take ourselves too seriously. I would put it in every OT if I had the power.

I wasn't around when the tweet was brand new, was it ever used as a thread title?

MC Safety

You're mostly right, but this place really is insular.

Top Bottom