• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| Porsha! Get my damn shoe!

strobogo

Banned
People make their jokes about how out of touch Vince is, but if he is really as out of touch as they say, he would have stuck to the plans he made for the last 2 Wrestlemanias instead of bending to the will of the people.

I know not everyone's a fan of the British wrestling style, but if you've never seen it before spare 10 or so minutes to watch this great little match with a young Dynamite Kid defending his British Light Heavyweight Title against veteran Tony Scarlo. Some fantastic hold-for-hold stuff here, plus Dynamite gets to show flashes of his speed and agility. Scarlo's a delight to watch as well, everything he does is so smooth and he sells in that great understated sort of way a lot of the old British guys did. Well worth a watch, friends;

Dynamite Kid (c) vs Tony Scarlo - British Light Heavyweight Title - (World of Sport 1977/10/13)

I'm on a UWFi/shoot style kick after watching Evolve 40. Is this a match I would enjoy, or is this closer to Wide World of Sports style?

XenoRaven

Well that's kind of the daunting aspect, there's so much content and I'm honestly both impressed and blown away.
That is definitely a challenge, but I think if you pick the thing you're most interested in and stick to it, you'll kind of fall into it and want to finish before you worry about all the other stuff. The thing to remember is that all the stuff you want to get to will still be there tomorrow, next week, next month, or next year. Just pick something you like and have fun until you're not having fun anymore, then do something else that's fun.

I've played Ragnarok, FFXI, and WoW, and while I like them all for different reasons, XIV is the only one that's not only kept me engaged, but has me interested enough to log in multiple times a week and do all the hardcore raid content.

That is definitely a challenge, but I think if you pick the thing you're most interested in and stick to it, you'll kind of fall into it and want to finish before you worry about all the other stuff. The thing to remember is that all the stuff you want to get to will still be there tomorrow, next week, next month, or next year. Just pick something you like and have fun until you're not having fun anymore, then do something else that's fun.

I've played Ragnarok, FFXI, and WoW, and while I like them all for different reasons, XIV is the only one that's not only kept me engaged, but has me interested enough to log in multiple times a week and do all the hardcore raid content.

Does the game have a story or do you just shit around fighting random monsters the whole time? (although I guess that isn't much different from a regular single player FF)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I should try to get back into FFXIV. I played it for a while when it came out but lost interest, and WoW is currently in such an unbalanced state that I have no desire to play it.

XenoRaven

Does the game have a story or do you just shit around fighting random monsters the whole time? (although I guess that isn't much different from a regular single player FF)
It has a story. I'd say it doesn't really get all that interesting until after the 2.0 story. I just wrapped up patch 2.55's story and it was really good. Pretty much everyone who plays the game is talking about it.

Vylash

A little AM midnight will give Vince some hope

Whr1cPm.jpg

mHvjNMW.jpg

I'm on a UWFi/shoot style kick after watching Evolve 40. Is this a match I would enjoy, or is this closer to Wide World of Sports style?

Definitely more World of Sports style - it's a light heavyweight bout as well, so lots of hold, escapes and counter wrestling with little of the physicality Dynamite would show later on. A very enjoyable match, but not really comparable to UWFi or shootstyle in general.

RP912

Banned
Batista would have made a good ECW wrestler. I would have loved to see him and Mike Awesome tear down the house.

Bandini

It has a story. I'd say it doesn't really get all that interesting until after the 2.0 story. I just wrapped up patch 2.55's story and it was really good. Pretty much everyone who plays the game is talking about it.

Maybe I'll go back to it for the story at some point then. I got bored real quick after getting to 50, getting my relic, and finishing the main story, and went back to XI. Which I quit after a few months cause I was playing it way too much, again. Although I do still need to finish the Seekers of Adoulin story missions...

NoRéN

I just read the Justin Roberts article. Powerful yet unfortunately unsurprising. I hope everyone reads it at some point, if they haven't already.

Seriously.

I was hoping this dude would respond because I was wondering how the hell he came to this conclusion.

That Justin Roberts article might be the dumbest shit I've ever read. He's crying about not getting enough credit for being friends with a terminally ill 5 year old. Good lord fuck him.

notworksafe

I really like FFXIV but I just didn't like the console version. Something about the controller setup just doesn't click with me.

I guess I could use a KB/M setup to play it but at that point I might as well play it on PC (which I do).

JavyOO7

Lucha Underground 1st episode is not so bad. Like how the camera work tries to give a cinematic feel, the story lines are interesting, and the wrestling in the main event (Puma vs Mundo) was pretty good.

Hasney

I really like FFXIV but I just didn't like the console version. Something about the controller setup just doesn't click with me.

I guess I could use a KB/M setup to play it but at that point I might as well play it on PC (which I do).

You get used to it. I use a joypad even when playing on PC now, I can't go back.

Caught up until 2.5 now, just the 2.55 stuff to go. Scared to do the steps with everyone bitching about it...

NoRéN

Lucha Underground 1st episode is not so bad. Like how the camera work tries to give a cinematic feel, the story lines are interesting, and the wrestling in the main event (Puma vs Mundo) was pretty good.

It improves. Even in person you could tell there was plenty of room for improvement and it does happen.

bjork

I just read the Justin Roberts article. Powerful yet unfortunately unsurprising. I hope everyone reads it at some point, if they haven't already.

This is the same company that was like "warrior is a giant piece of shit" in 2005 then turned around years later and now he's a celebrated legend that everyone respected. Expecting this company to not twist the narrative is a bit foolish on Justin's part. I only saw a clip or two of Connor and the motive was transparent as can be.

I clicked on the Roberts article expecting to come away either thinking badly of Roberts or the WWE and came away not really thinking badly of either.

Yes, the WWE saw a business opportunity in Connor, but it's also clear that they saw a chance to do something good for a little boy dying of cancer at the same time. Yes, they know that putting Steph on TV crying about Connor makes them look good, but at the same time Steph wasn't crying in the first place for that reason.

Where I absolutely agree with Justin though is in them using that Warrior HOF line out of context. Sure, I bet he'd be really happy to have an award like the Warrior award named after him, and I bet he'd be more than happy that someone like Connor was the first person to receive it...

But I really want to see the award he was really talking about come to fruition. He's fired now, but Justin is completely on the nose to mention Mark Yeaton. Even before hearing Justin singing his praises, I'd felt that Yeaton deserved to be in the HOF.

Who hadn't watched Stone Cold sticking out a hand and receiving a can of beer *perfectly thrown* right into his hand and wondered who the hell the guy was throwing those cans?

Here's a guy who not only did his day job, who not only rang the bell and helped coordinate things, but who also practiced throwing beer cans for god knows how long to help put over Steve Austin, without ever once trying to get recognition for his part.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Genuine question here.
Should I
A) continue to do the little reviews I've done for AJPW/Zero-1/less popular around here Japanese promotions. So like every match gets a quick summary and if I recommend it or not. About the same length as my Thunder In Paradise reviews
B) Post up the gifs related to the event and review the event in total very briefly. Like a paragraph that's just, 'This match is good because this, this match is bad because blank, overall watch this match or watch the whole even't
C) Just post gifs and post a match link if the match is really good and I think non-fans should check it out.
are there any valets in the Hall of Fame?

Sunny

strobogo

Banned
are there any valets in the Hall of Fame?

Sunny. A number of managers in general.

Genuine question here.
Should I
A) continue to do the little reviews I've done for AJPW/Zero-1/less popular around here Japanese promotions. So like every match gets a quick summary and if I recommend it or not. About the same length as my Thunder In Paradise reviews
B) Post up the gifs related to the event and review the event in total very briefly. Like a paragraph that's just, 'This match is good because this, this match is bad because blank, overall watch this match or watch the whole even't
C) Just post gifs and post a match link if the match is really good and I think non-fans should check it out.

D) Get at Sunny and post shit at Legitshook.com

MC Safety

I guess if you're putting Drew Carey in your hall of fame, you can make room for the guy who throws the beers to Stone Cold.

Justin Roberts' column was pretty interesting, but he loses his focus.

I guess if you're putting Drew Carey in your hall of fame, you can make room for the guy who throws the beers to Stone Cold.

Justin Roberts' column was pretty interesting, but he loses his focus.

I had no idea the part he'd played in Connor's story, and was surprised to hear him thanked by Connor's Dad so heartfeltly during the ceremony. I'm glad he shared his story and while it didn't make me think badly about the WWE, it definitely made me think more of Justin.

Genuine question here.
Should I

Sunny

Combo of A and C

XenoRaven

Genuine question here.
Should I

Sunny
I tend to enjoy A, although that's probably more work for you.

So what's everyone's predictions for Invasion Attack tomorrow night?

Outside of the throwaway 10 and 6 man tags, I'm picking all the champs to retain with perhaps the sole exception of Ropongi Vice getting the Jr. Tag titles. Still, I probably won't bother staying up for it because it's a one match show, AJ vs. Ibushi. Still, that one match could be an MOTY candidate. It'll probably be a similar story to Ibushi/Nakamura at Wrestle Kingdom, with Ibushi putting on an amazing showing and coming very close to taking the gold, but AJ putting him away with a Styles Clash in the end. I'm also picking Okada to beat Fale and challenge AJ for the gold at Wrestling Dontaku, which will be the 1 year anniversary of him winning his first title from Okada.

Other feuds I see coming out of this are Naito/Nakamura for the IC belt and Makabe vs. Ishii for the NEVER belt. Might see the Super Murder Meiyu Tag Besties reunite to challenge Gun Gallows again, pointless as it is, but it's more likely that we get LAUGHTER7 EXPLODES as Shibata battles Sakuraba. Of course that leaves MY BOY Goto with nothing to do but maybe he and Ibushi can face off again after their excellent NJC final. And we'll probably get Tanahashi vs. Yano, just because.

strobogo

Banned
Shout out to my boy Carnby, all white main event baby

LEGITSHOOK.COM PRESENTS

WWF In Your House 12: IT'S TIME

• Leif Cassidy vs Flash Funk
  • Diesel/Razor Ramon vs Owen Hart/British Bulldog WWF Tag Team Championships
  • Marc Mero vs HHH WWF Intercontinental Championship
  • The Executioner vs Undertaker Armageddon Rules
  • Bret Hart vs Sid WWF Championship

xZzQWp3.gif

cMStBcy.gif

fw3xkhE.gif

Russo as shit. The tag match is heel vs heel with run ins from a heel and people from a different company. Main event features so much insidery shit from HBK. Weird and uncomfortable race stuff between Ahmed and Faarooq. Attitude Era is here, friends.

Top Bottom