• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| Porsha! Get my damn shoe!

strobogo

Banned
Good news for the Divers division. AJ has been the worst of the active roster for quite a while and was dragging everyone down with her. Also good for her to go out on her own terms with her health.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Its odd that its worded "Retiring from in ring competition". Not the usual "We have come to terms..." jargon that WWE usually delivers.

Agreed. I'll miss her but the sooner they get some other divas on the show and stop focusing on the Bellas the better.

RP912

Banned
Incoming rant:

Why there's no such thing as a retirement match anymore? Nowadays it's like wrestlers rather hit the tweeters and declare their departure, rather than having a simple "loser leaves town" or a simple retirement match to give out a last hurrah. It's probably the old school in me but I lone for the day where a departure had some sort of kayfabe behind it, rather than relying on the "scoops" or other ways through the internet to let the news be known.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It ain't February, friend.

But yes, Naomi seemed to be getting the push based on Raw. Paige vs. Bellas is a little played out at this point.

It's always Naomuary.
tumblr_niplzhvk661tszqifo1_r1_400.gif

Fox318

That explains why they seem to be pushing Naomi as the next Divas championship contender even though AJ won a match before 'Mania against Nikki.

They could be pushing Naomi because Anoaʻi family being upset about the Roman Reigns loss. Last observer mentioned that they were really upset over the finish of the main event and they seem to have pull over Vince because of the Rock and others in the family.

Watched a Vader vs Choshu match from 1989, shit was nuts;

Cn3NZz5.gif

Fujinami went all in early on, beat the shit out of Vader on the outside, ripped his mask and then rammed his head into the ring post. Vader then gigs the crap out of his exposed forehead, which the cameras get a nice close up of before the editor quickly cuts away. Fujinami trips Vader as he gets back in and tries for the Sasori Gatame, but a pissed off Vader shakes him off, grabs an ankle hold and sits in it deep. Great control segment here, the crowd are well into it as Vader maliciously keeps Choshu grounded. He eventually gets back to his feet and scores with a big bodyslam, a back drop driver and a lariat that spills Vader to the floor. Choshu goes for a plancha, but Vader catches him and slams him on the concrete, before lariating the shit out of him and getting back in the ring for the count-out victory. Great match, a bit over ten minutes of concentrated pissed off Vader.

Also watched Hansen vs Gordy for the Triple Crown, fun match but not as great as you'd expect of two hosses like these. Stan put over Gordy big here, they both kicked out of shitty versions of each other's finishers, then Hansen took the pin from a lariat no less after Dr. Death caused the distraction. Great shot of Misawa watching from the back with a total "I have to fight one of these guys...fuck" look on his face. Gordy would end up dropping the title through injury just a few days later and Hansen & Misawa would fight it out for the vacant belts, with Hansen winning. Misawa wouldn't get his first singles win over Hansen for another two years, but it was such a great ride and those 4 matches are some of the best of Hansen's career.

ACusNNN.gif

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Alright so in a day of being away from WrassleGAF it's pretty obvious I'm not the problem, so I'll just leave this here and you all (if it applies, naturally) can decide to do what you like.

If you've got beef with anyone let it go like water under the bridge. I don't care how wronged you feel, how unfair shit feels, we're WCW 2000ing hitting the reset button.

We're seriously going to end up with more mod attention going on in here and even though we have nothing to hide, I don't want to lose any of our posters and I want people to feel at home here. If you just can't do it, come to me and we'll talk about it, because I want to make things right with everyone.

I'm going to do my best to bury any of that mob mentality + negativity I may have been fostering. Hopefully it helps.

Love you all <3

Apologies earlier for not hearing JBL mention Lesnar's IWGP title run, at least it's the first time I've heard of WWE doing that sort of recognition.

Not that I like them, or anything, but why the hate for Brock Lesnar Guy / Sign Guy?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Watched a Vader vs Choshu match from 1989, shit was nuts;

Fujinami went all in early on, beat the shit out of Vader on the outside, ripped his mask and then rammed his head into the ring post. Vader then gigs the crap out of his exposed forehead, which the cameras get a nice close up of before the editor quickly cuts away. Fujinami trips Vader as he gets back in and tries for the Sasori Gatame, but a pissed off Vader shakes him off, grabs an ankle hold and sits in it deep. Great control segment here, the crowd are well into it as Vader maliciously keeps Choshu grounded. He eventually gets back to his feet and scores with a big bodyslam, a back drop driver and a lariat that spills Vader to the floor. Choshu goes for a plancha, but Vader catches him and slams him on the concrete, before lariating the shit out of him and getting back in the ring for the count-out victory. Great match, a bit over ten minutes of concentrated pissed off Vader.

Also watched Hansen vs Gordy for the Triple Crown, fun match but not as great as you'd expect of two hosses like these. Stan put over Gordy big here, they both kicked out of shitty versions of each other's finishers, then Hansen took the pin from a lariat no less after Dr. Death caused the distraction. Great shot of Misawa watching from the back with a total "I have to fight one of these guys...fuck" look on his face. Gordy would end up dropping the title through injury just a few days later and Hansen & Misawa would fight it out for the vacant belts, with Hansen winning. Misawa wouldn't get his first singles win over Hansen for another two years, but it was such a great ride and those 4 matches are some of the best of Hansen's career.

I need to find more of Vader's earlier stuff as he yknow, inspired a Fatal Fury character and this is when he was still hungry. That match sounds fantastic.

How big was the age gap between Gordy and Hansen in that one? Gordy was in his mid-20s, wasn't he?

Xater

I have no problem with Naomi getting a push, but for the love of God make her lose the ass offense. I know she has a big bum but that doesn't mean she has to fight with it. It's super dumb and kinda demeaning.

They could be pushing Naomi because Anoa&#699;i family being upset about the Roman Reigns loss. Last observer mentioned that they were really upset over the finish of the main event and they seem to have pull over Vince because of the Rock and others in the family.

#NaomiAll just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Also, regarding the Anoa'i working themselves into a shoot about Reigns's loss:

thatswhatthemoneyisfor.gif

I wonder why AJ won her Wrestlemania and Raw After matches if her contract was just running out. I'm genuinely curious if she wasn't going to sign a new contract that's pretty unusual, no?

Especially considering who she was feuding with.

Fox318

I have no problem with Naomi getting a push, but for the love of God make her lose the ass offense. I know she has a big bum but that doesn't mean she has to fight with it. It's super dumb and kinda demeaning.

She is with the Uso's who do some similar spots.

notworksafe

Eh I assumed it was Uso-related, since they use it too.

jmdajr

So she finally had enough. Surprised it took this long honestly.

No doubt you could tell she wasn't having fun anymore. Not like on NXT with her BFF Kaitlyn.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I wonder why AJ won her Wrestlemania and Raw After matches if her contract was just running out. I'm genuinely curious if she wasn't going to sign a new contract that's pretty unusual, no?

Agreed it wasn't like she was off the roster either. Something seems weird about it

Incoming rant:

Why there's no such thing as a retirement match anymore? Nowadays it's like wrestlers rather hit the tweeters and declare their departure, rather than having a simple "loser leaves town" or a simple retirement match to give out a last hurrah. It's probably the old school in me but I lone for the day where a departure had some sort of kayfabe behind it, rather than relying on the "scoops" or other ways through the internet to let the news be known.

Because everyone leaves pissed off and bitter at wasting their life with pro wrestling

Fox318

Maybe the company wanted to avoid looking like they were punishing her because of her husband?

Maybe that's why the match was a tag? They wanted at least one Diva to get a win if they felt forced to push AJ.

Ithil

Probably as a farewell, they had her win a final WM match.

Jamie OD

So what now for the Divas? Just focus on Paige as the main face, push Naomi or bring up an NXT girl? Natalya's busy managing the Fact Checkers and it feels like WWE has forgotten all about Fox, Summer, Layla (is she just done in general?) and everyone else.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Retirement matches were always code for going to another promotion on good terms.

People just disappearing one day because they quit or their contract ran out has been happening as long as I've watched wrestling.

So what now for the Divas? Just focus on Paige as the main face, push Naomi or bring up an NXT girl? Natalya's busy managing the Fact Checkers and it feels like WWE has forgotten all about Fox, Summer, Layla (is she just done in general?) and everyone else.

Based on the ad for this year's Divas Search, I had assumed that Layla would be stuck with that shitshow. However, they also prominently featured Ashley Massaro in that ad, so who knows.

God, you just know the shoot following AJ's leaving/being fired is going to be some next level shit.

Another hit podcast for Colt Cabana?

dream

Alright so in a day of being away from WrassleGAF it's pretty obvious I'm not the problem, so I'll just leave this here and you all (if it applies, naturally) can decide to do what you like.

If you've got beef with anyone let it go like water under the bridge. I don't care how wronged you feel, how unfair shit feels, we're WCW 2000ing hitting the reset button.

We're seriously going to end up with more mod attention going on in here and even though we have nothing to hide, I don't want to lose any of our posters and I want people to feel at home here. If you just can't do it, come to me and we'll talk about it, because I want to make things right with everyone.

I'm going to do my best to bury any of that mob mentality + negativity I may have been fostering. Hopefully it helps.

Love you all <3

I'm glad you're back, Sunflower.

I think part of the problem is that people with dissenting opinions are dismissed as "gimmick posters." This is a pro wrestling thread. This is not pro wrestling. Real human beings do not "work angles" or "have gimmicks." But wrestlinggaffers, as you've discovered, do not realize this. As a result, a culture of bullying has emerged. Look at what those assholes do to JesseEwiak.

I hope you can reign your people in, Sunflower. Because while I believe strongly in the "stop snitching" movement, I would not hold it against JesseEwiak if he asked some mods to take a look at the way he's treated in here.

I need to find more of Vader's earlier stuff as he yknow, inspired a Fatal Fury character and this is when he was still hungry. That match sounds fantastic.

How big was the age gap between Gordy and Hansen in that one? Gordy was in his mid-20s, wasn't he?

Eleven years. He turned 29 the day before that match, whereas Hansen was 40. Definitely track down that Choshu match. There's some good early Vader on NJPW World, but that particular match is missing, unfortunately.

god damn poochie over here

Yeah, they always made it obvious that Misawa was the crown prince of the younger generation. Baba had a plan for Misawa and he really stuck with it.

Deal. In that spirit:
Good news for the Divers division. AJ has been the worst of the active roster for quite a while and was dragging everyone down with her. Also good for her to go out on her own terms with her health.
Pretty much right, yeah. It's a shame given how much I enjoyed her before she came back, but she clearly didn't give a shit. Hopefully it makes her happy, I kind of hope she does some Indy shots though.

Top Bottom