• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| Porsha! Get my damn shoe!

I think you had to be driving an Acura Integra to appreciate The Fast and the Furious.

Data West, have you seen Initial D?

Also, do you know what they call minivans in Britain?

people carriers

Isn't that funny?

strobogo

Banned
Movies about family and finely crafted automobiles are too stupid, but the only motosport more trashy than NASCAR is high brow entertainment.

Kaladin

NIfip6h.jpg

scabro

Enzo has a comedy jobber/low midcarder ceiling.

He has a great character and he fantastic on the mic. But he is a midget and isn't a particularly good wrestler. He is just ok at best. If he had 2 of the 3 he might have the potential to end up above that, but right now he doesn't.

dream

I just did a test, bean breath. I looked at the "Angry Joe" thread with a hypothesis: Nintendo fans have cartoon avatars. So I skimmed the thread, parsing out the avatars from the posts. Once I isolated the people with cartoon avatars, I looked at the posts associated with them. Sure enough, 96% of the people with cartoon avatars are backing Nintendo on this debacle.

I should try the same thing in the thread about how the new Gameboy doesn't come with a charger.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
GHC Heavyweight Championship: Takashi Sugiura(c) vs Togi Makabe
I had no idea Sugiura had the second longest GHC Heavyweight reign after Kobashi. I was curious how he did as a draw as I figured it was some short lived reign, but nope, he held the title for 581 days. The current record holder would be Kenta Kobashi at 735 days which is considered one of the best championship reigns in the history of pro wrestling and a big part of what helped get NOAH on the map for a lot of people, myself included. This match is long as fuck. Togi vs Sugiura seems pretty obvious on paper what kind of match it'll be, brawling with some technical wrestling. Probably a lot of punching, headbutts, and suplexs. I'm so glad Sugiura dyed his hair black and got rid of the weird boxer shorts. The blonde hair is such a shitty look. I actually didn't get into Sugiura until recently because I just thought his look was so shitty I wouldn't even give him a chance. It's sad, but I really do value a wrestler to have some kind of distinct look be it cool, weird, flamboyant, whatever.

Prior to this match, Makabe pinned Sugiura in a non-title match, so it definitely plays up Makabe having that on him. I only know a little bit about the events prior to this match, but I picked it up fairly quickly just from watching them in the ring. Makabe does a good job of looking like a threat to Sugiura as he's just as tough as the champion and is still on the hunt for his first world title win at this point. (He doesn't win the IWGP title until a few months later.) The camera frequently cuts to Makabe's chain resting in the corner of the ring. It's amazing how illustrious of a career Makabe was able to make ripping off Bruiser Brody. Maybe Joe Doering got inspired. Makabe starts the match off working Sugiura onto the ground while it constantly teases the chain. It's kind of strange to see a foreign object emphasized so much in a NOAH match. Misawa would have been like, 'What's this gimmicky bullshit?' The two get face to face and, you guess it, they have a forearm exchange. Who would have thunk it? The actual surprise however is how handily Sugiura wins it. Sugiura continues to beat on Makabe in the corner like he owes him money with the ref having to pull Sugiura off of him including the Engrish use of, "Let him go!" And the ref is immediately taken out by Makabe pushing Sugiura into him. Time to brawl on the outside. Does any NOAH title match post-Kobashi NOT have brawling on the outside?
ClbOi4H.jpg

I GO BACK IN TIME 5 YEARS AND I STILL CANT AVOID THIS FUCKER! Do you know what else is required in every GHC title match post-Kobashi reign? Apron spots.Makabe gives Sugiura that move where you drop them on their ankle on your knee or whatever off the apron through the table. It looks awful, so I didn't gif it. Makabe hits him in the ankle with a chair which looks a lot better, so the ankle of Sugiura is now the focus of the match. Prolonged working of the ankle by Makabe. Sugiura finally gets himself up and gets some momentum back. Throws Makabe into the corner and proceeds to charge but doesn't God Mode and realizes his ankles been worked on which sets up Makabe to cut his head off with a lariat.

Disappointed in himself for not being able to do the Yakuza kick in the corner before, Sugiura mans up and does it. Twice followed by a brutal knee. Makabe runs the ropes to hit a lariat and Sugiura counters it by just running into the corner. I think this is the smartest count I've ever seen in the history of professional wrestling. I thought it was a botch at first. Makabe whips Sugiura into the corner but Sugiura can't make it as he falls over clutching his ankle. That might be one of my favorite 'little things' spots in wrestling. When they're took fucked up to even get thrown and be carried by momentum. Makabe performs a very nice looking chopblock. Sugiura tanks a King Kong Lariat, and it looks great. Makabe is unable to get Sugiura up for a powerbomb and you even hear the crowd kind of laughing about it, so Makabe says 'fuck it. Lariat.' Then attempts it again.
9EofaJA.gif

This heelish action surprisingly gets a 'Ma-Ka-Be!' chant which is kind of funny.
J9T8nq3.jpg

Go doing the Misawa thing.
Sugiura fights his way out of a Spider German Suplex and repays it with a tree of woe knee. Sugiura goes for his own top rope german but Makabe fights it off. Sugiura attempts a superplex, but Makabe fights that off as well. Makabe attempts a king kong knee drop and ends up with an indy wrestling german
VqLvCt6.gif

Makabe eats some knees and a dragon suplex but kicks out of both. Makabe regains control, but can't put Sugiura down with a king king lariat or a german suplex so he finally hits him with the spider suplex. Top rope Angle slam. Sugiura wins. Crowd pops huge.

This match is over 30 minutes long. I watched it to see how well Makabe would do in that length of a match, and neither Makabe nor Sugiura ever look anywhere close to winded the entire time. But Makabe should not be doing these long of matches and this match could have been better if it was done in half the time. A ton of it felt like filler and a lengthy match just exposes Makabe's limited moveset. I lost count of the number of lariats in this match from him . I wouldn't mind seeing Sugiura show up at NJPW randomly and challenge Makabe for his NEVER title in a rematch, but it'd definitely need to be around 10-15 minutes instead of 30+.

zychi

Banned
original Star Wars is brutal to watch nowadays. I love the series but I can easily watch the Matrix Revolutions over Return of the Jedi.

myman.gif

Empire is still a fantastic film by itself. Rev was terrrrrible. Reloaded was fun and I love watching the highway scene on tv. You can tell by Revolutions that Waschowskis stole the idea and had no idea how to end it.

Empire>Matrix 1> ANH> Reloaded>RoTJ> Revolutions

All the random pictures from Access kind reminded me of that short run of "WWE warehouse" episodes WWE did last year with Joey Styles looking at all the random old stuff WWE keeps in storage.

They should do more of those because it was rad.

They have a entire section of a warehouse full of old caskets they have used through the years for petes sake.

I just did a test, bean breath. I looked at the "Angry Joe" thread with a hypothesis: Nintendo fans have cartoon avatars. So I skimmed the thread, parsing out the avatars from the posts. Once I isolated the people with cartoon avatars, I looked at the posts associated with them. Sure enough, 96% of the people with cartoon avatars are backing Nintendo on this debacle.

I should try the same thing in the thread about how the new Gameboy doesn't come with a charger.
I think you did this test before also, but used anime avatars as the litmus. I remember you being surprised when I was an outlier, having an anime avatar at the time.

This doesn't bother me personally but just giving you a heads up, some posters here don't like when people post like they're cutting a promo. It makes them think you're gimmick posting.

Well lemme tell ya something, bean. I been hearing a lotta talk from the boys in the back that maybe it's time to take the gimmicks out behind the shed and put them out of their misery, that people nowadays don't want freaks and weirdos on their computer boxes, that it's all about "reality" and bein' better than all the hardworking moms and pops that maybe want a little more spectacular of a physique than little Danny Bryan with his technical wizardry can provide, smarter than the little kids who are just looking for a hero, not a hard worker or an online darling.

Well, I say that's garbage. The gimmicks are what make WrassleGAF better than that trash like reddit, cuz all the folks here know they're getting more than just recycled commentary, they're getting a STORY, something to get INVESTED in.

We need more gimmicks, I say, not less. This is where the big boys play, and part of being big is being LARGER THAN LIFE, brother.

Well lemme tell ya something, bean. I been hearing a lotta talk from the boys in the back that maybe it's time to take the gimmicks out behind the shed and put them out of their misery, that people nowadays don't want freaks and weirdos on their computer boxes, that it's all about "reality" and bein' better than all the hardworking moms and pops that maybe want a little more spectacular of a physique than little Danny Bryan with his technical wizardry can provide, smarter than the little kids who are just looking for a hero, not a hard worker or an online darling.

Well, I say that's garbage. The gimmicks are what make WrassleGAF better than that trash like reddit, cuz all the folks here know they're getting more than just recycled commentary, they're getting a STORY, something to get INVESTED in.

We need more gimmicks, I say, not less. This is where the big boys play, and part of being big is being LARGER THAN LIFE, brother.

uu9WnwG.gif

The worst part of this thread are those who run to mods when they see something they don't like. I mean this thread moves faster than fucking light. It'll be gone in the morning and then you can talk about your indie superkick flippy crap without fear.

Nothing ruins a community more than the fear of the iron fist from the outside.

Now please don't kill me.

strobogo

Banned
The worst part of this thread are those who run to mods when they see something they don't like. I mean this thread moves faster than fucking light. It'll be gone in the morning and then you can talk about your indie superkick flippy crap without fear.

Nothing ruins a community more than the fear of the iron fist from the outside.

Now please don't kill me.

You mean like someone who repeatedly says they're going to snitch and then harasses you in PMs? I'd say that is a pretty shitty part of the thread, too.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Someone here hates Pulp Fiction.

I just know it.

I caught some of it today on IFC thanks to Sling.tv - I had forgotten how fucking GOOD the date scene in Jackrabbit Slim's was. Travolta and Thurman had ridiculous chemistry and it was written perfect.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Jackie Brown>Pulp Fiction>Reservoir Dawgs>Django Unleashed
(Those are all the Tarantino movies I've seen)

You're right about one thing
Jackie Brown is the pinnacle of Tarantino's work. A+ movie. Perfect in every way.

My favorite Brockism of all time. My all-time favorite. Every time it's time to meet for dinner, movie, whatever, I send a text "Let's do this?!" and they never understand...

Let's do this right now?

Time to try "You're here, I'm here, let's do thiiiiiiiiiiIIIS!" next time I have a girl over.

Top Bottom