• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| Porsha! Get my damn shoe!

So what are some of the better Wrestling books out there? I'm sort of after a biography or at least a book covering a period without being filled with bullshit. Thanks for any suggestions.

CTRL+F for "Gary Hart," find it hasn't been mentioned get. SMH.

bjork

¡HarlequinPanic!;159031357 said:
Surfer Sting may actually be my first memory of seeing wrasslin' on the tv. he looked bright and happy and was really strong, I knew about hulk hogan but comparitively I thought hogan was scary looking with his really animated faces and the bald head with silken curtains.

My first was seeing Abdullah vs Jim Duggan but I've never been able to find footage of it. I remember it because Abby had the fork, and dude ran down the aisle and came back out with the 2x4. So unless someone else had the 2x4 shtick first... but that would've been like 83-84ish, and I can't imagine that if the match aired, it would be lost footage nowadays. So maybe I don't know who it actually was?

that's pretty sweet.

we all have a shit on duggan and stuff here but when I was a kid at my local arcade duggan and captain lou were there one day, I guess doing some sort of signing but when my dad came to pick me up they actually sat and had drinks with him for a while and I got to play way more house of the dead thanks to that 8)

So hacksaw's pretty endeared to me.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, Koguma vs Io Shirai was really really good. STARDOM continues to deliver.

FyreWulff

It was also stupid that they avoided calling it WCW vs WWE and then suddenly commentary turned it into WCW vs WWE after the match started.

Business-wise, they could have sold a ton of WCW and Attitude era WWE shirts in the run up to mania to rile the old fans up on both sides.

"Guys, this is our super bowl!" *superbowl is mid-card, literally*

The way they updated his bio on WWE.com seems to indicate they're going with this being WCW vs WWE for the forseeable future.

http://www.wwe.com/superstars/sting

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
CTRL+F for "Gary Hart," find it hasn't been mentioned get. SMH.

The only issue with his is that you pretty much have to steal it online. It is a fantastic book, but...you know.

¡HarlequinPanic!;159032137 said:
that's pretty sweet.

we all have a shit on duggan and stuff here but when I was a kid at my local arcade duggan and captain lou were there one day, I guess doing some sort of signing but when my dad came to pick me up they actually sat and had drinks with him for a while and I got to play way more house of the dead thanks to that 8)

So hacksaw's pretty endeared to me.

Hacksaw is a good dude, his ring work was crap but he's a very cool dude. Even on that shitstain of a show, Legends House, he was a pretty reasonable guy.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I wish there was more available footage on the Network of Superstar, he's so fantastic. Look at that dope-ass look.
Ygitkyw.jpg

Gary Hart's book is a must read, he's very candid about the behind the scenes stuff and has a lot of great stories to tell. Stan Hansen's book is a bit rambling, but one of the best books in English detailing what it's like being a gaijin wrestler in Japan. Lou Thesz's book is a great read as well.

RP912

Banned
I want to read the Gary Hart book since dude looked like an OG on some of the WWE docs that came out. I seen the praises for the book but fuck paying half a thousand for it :/.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
This is making me laugh like, as people like Bootaaay say, "like a drain"

1qTgB1O.jpg

I want to read the Gary Hart book since dude looked like an OG on some of the WWE docs that came out. I seen the praises for the book but fuck paying half a thousand for it :/.

It's not hard to find.

Sephzilla

Throughout the match, you had to think that was where they were going. JBL and Cole were both constantly degrading WCW and how Sting was a minnow in a small pond, and how he's here! In the Atlantic Ocean! Where the big fish play. Or something.

It was absolutely annoying to watch a while because of it. I mean, WWE owns the WCW property and at their own convenience, they pimp WCW footage or popularity. But here, when you finally have Sting at last, you crap on it and basically tell everybody his accomplishments mean nothing.

The overbooking stuff was fine, no issue with it or how canon it was. The story heading in was downright awful, so of course it was all over the place. But Sting had zero business losing in his debut match at the biggest show of the year. I see some mention, "Well it's pushing Triple H toward The Rock/Rousey!", all in while avoiding the situation where Sting faces the Undertaker next year. Triple H is a heel, he can take losses any time and it will never hurt him. It was beyond stupid and a total Vince/Triple H ego trip.

Once Sting/HHH turned into a WCW vs WWE thing I pretty much assumed a few things.

1- HHH was going to win, probably dirty, because WWE needs to beat WCW at Mania
2- Undertaker was going to beat Bray Wyatt
3- Sting is going to get his Mania win next year by retiring Taker.

Devil's advocate time.

The current nWo Hogan was brought in to kill the WWE. So technically, nWo Hogan makes perfect sense as to why he'd help Sting - he's still anti-WWE and therefore would be on "WCW"'s side in this match.

It also makes sense why DX would help the McMahon family now, they've been gradually booked as corporate lackeys instead of the rebels they once were for a couple of years now.

ydGnBXg.gif

I can dig that

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Reigns looks great there. He will be a mega-star. Just not yet.

notworksafe

He probably has that face because at this point he was getting booed out of the arena. Even the people leaving stopped just to turn around and boo when his music hit lol.

Sephzilla

So I beat Bloodborne this weekend. I would say it's my favorite Souls game yet. There was no part of the game that felt like a drag (something that happens in all of the previous games for me), the worst boss in the game was still pretty decent, the gameplay is a marriage of all the good things from the previous games, and the story/lore is pretty interesting with a really good SWERVE halfway in. I don't know if it will have the long term legs of Demons or Dark Souls since the amount of ways you can play the game are a bit more limited compared to those.

Bloodborne gets 5 RoboCops out of 5

image.php
image.php
image.php
image.php
image.php

The only issue with his is that you pretty much have to steal it online. It is a fantastic book, but...you know.

Hacksaw is a good dude, his ring work was crap but he's a very cool dude. Even on that shitstain of a show, Legends House, he was a pretty reasonable guy.

I've got Gary Hart's book in physical form from the first release and in digital formats as well. It's fantastic, but a very biased look at things. Still a must-read for a particular era of wrestling though.

Karl's keeping it all FnP out here while Gallows is running around screaming "Shut up bitch!" and trying to punch her.

That was the best non-fanservicey bit Maria did. I just adored her waving and silly faces there.
I was raving about it in my review of the show, which is now up to nearly 1,600 views.
http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2015/04/njpw-invasion-attack-2015.html

The average Raw gets around 100-150, so this just blew my mind.

Dontaku card:

NJPW “WRESTLING DONTAKU 2015“, 5/3/2015 [Sun] @ Fukuoka Kokusai Center

(1) Yuji Nagata, Jushin Thunder Liger, Tiger Mask IV & Mascara Dorada vs. Manabu Nakanishi, Captain New Japan, Ryusuke Taguchi & KUSHIDA
(2) Tetsuya Naito & Sho Tanaka vs. Kota Ibushi & Yohei Komatsu
(3) Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima & Tomoaki Honma vs. Bad Luck Fale, Tama Tonga & Cody Hall

(4) IWGP Jr. Tag Championship 3WAY Match: [41st Champions] Rocky Romero & Barreta vs. [Challengers] Matt & Nick Jackson vs. [Challengers] Bobby Fish & Kyle O’Reilly

(5) IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship Match: [70th Champion] Kenny Omega vs. [Challenger] Alex Shelley
~ 3rd title defense.

(6) Special 6 Person Tag Match: Mike Bennett, Matt Taven & Maria Kanellis vs. Karl Anderson, Doc Gallows & Amber Gallows
(7) Special 6 Man Tag Match: Togi Makabe, Hiroshi Tanahashi & Katsuyori Shibata vs. Tomohiro Ishii, Toru Yano & Kazushi Sakuraba
(8) Special Tag Match: AJ Styles & Yujiro Takahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada & YOSHI-HASHI

(9) IWGP Intercontinental Championship Match: [10th Champion] Shinsuke Nakamura vs. [Challenger] Hirooki Goto
~ 4th title defense.

I'm okay with this card. As much as I love Swagsuke I'm hoping he gets upended by MY BOY Goto. I'm guessing they're saving Styles/Okada for the RoH shows?

Tama Tonga is the X-Pac of the Bullet Club

Pretty much, much like YOSHI-HASHI is the X-Pac of CHAOS.

780.jpg

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Tama Tonga's also only 3 inches shorter than Reigns.

Reigns is definitely better than Tama, but who knows for how long?

Tama's honestly not that bad, he just rarely gets a chance to do anything other than be a random goon in multi-man tag matches. I think he had one singles match last year, in a squash vs Okada.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Tama's honestly not that bad, he just rarely gets a chance to do anything other than be a random goon in multi-man tag matches. I think he had one singles match last year, in a squash vs Okada.

He'll get there, just don't know if Bullet Club is elevating him at all. It's been way over a year at this point, hell, maybe even two?

On the flip side, I don't know wtf he'd do without em.

Top Bottom