• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| Porsha! Get my damn shoe!

Stinger is 67 years old. Who gives a fuck if he's "buried' or not?

You wait 15 years because you don't trust WWE and how they will use you.

Then you come in, and they use you exactly as you feared.

Sting should have just held out for the HOF and called it a day.

RP912

Banned
Damn my old rose colored glasses...ECW looks dated as hell. I can't really sit through this RVD/Sabu match at all.

Heroman

Banned
I think it certainly says a lot that Roman Reigns has had more better matches than Bray Wyatt. Granted Wyatt never got to work with Lesnar or Orton. Wyatt vs Bryan was probably better than Reigns vs Bryan though.
I find that bray matches with cena especially at payback were better than most of roman matches.

bjork

Damn my old rose colored glasses...ECW looks dated as hell. I can't really sit through this RVD/Sabu match at all.

Go back and catch JT Smith in the FBI, or that match where they use a truck tire and a door as foreign objects (can't remember who was actually in it). Classic ECW that no one talks about etc

strobogo

Banned
Oh, I see, ya'll are just gimmick posters.

We're hating Bray Wyatt now? Is that the cool contrarian thing to do this week?

Friend, I'm hating on Taker, not Bray. Match wasn't Bray's fault. It was a formula Taker match and Taker was old and slow as fuck despite being in better shape than last year.

I think it certainly says a lot that Roman Reigns has had more better matches than Bray Wyatt. Granted Wyatt never got to work with Lesnar or Orton. Wyatt vs Bryan was probably better than Reigns vs Bryan though.

As good as Bray has been on the mic, hes been pretty abysmal in the ring. I can remember one awesome match.

Im beginning to agree that hes not very good.

Toki767

Bray's only 27 too. He's like the youngest guy on there that gets any semblance of a push. So he still has lots of time to improve in the ring at least.

Heroman

Banned
Both bray and taker did fine , the problem was that taker needs someone who is another ring general like a Daniel Bryan or john cena to truly shine.

Bray kind of feels like watching Itami for me most of the time, never really terrible matches or anything but they don't seem like characters who are good fits for what seems to be the norm for what you see in a wwe ring right now.

RP912

Banned
Go back and catch JT Smith in the FBI, or that match where they use a truck tire and a door as foreign objects (can't remember who was actually in it). Classic ECW that no one talks about etc

94/95ish ECW was good for the fact Paul E didn't give a fuck. It was complete anarchy.

bjork

94/95ish ECW was good for the fact Paul E didn't give a fuck. It was complete anarchy.

I remember reading about it in Apter mags and wishing it was on TV out here. Finally found it in early 96 at like 2:30 am on a sports channel. It was really cool to finally see it, but to me I think they'd already fallen off by the time they hit PPV.

Colocho

Banned
I think Bray should be put in IC title picture while Bryan still has it, so they can have a few good matches and eventually be in the main event status he deserves.

Toki767

I think Bray should be put in IC title picture while Bryan still has it, so they can have a few good matches and eventually be in the main event status he deserves.

Eww no. They should keep any title away from Bray aside from the world title if they want to keep any sort of aura on him.

You never saw Taker trying to go for the IC or US title.

Gorillaz

Oh, I see, ya'll are just gimmick posters.

We're hating Bray Wyatt now? Is that the cool contrarian thing to do this week?

Idk Bean, I mean, I remember the name kind of. The Last time I heard it was during WM when some guy came out in broad daylight with cellphone screen lights shinning in the crowd.

RP912

Banned
I remember reading about it in Apter mags and wishing it was on TV out here. Finally found it in early 96 at like 2:30 am on a sports channel. It was really cool to finally see it, but to me I think they'd already fallen off by the time they hit PPV.

Indeed. I remember watching ECW for the first time on the New York sports channel. It was mindblowing for the time because dudes were cursing, fighting all over the city, and using weapons on a regular basis. I continued watching during the ppv times but it didn't capture the same magic like seeing Tommy Dreamer hit Raven over the head with a stop sign.

jmdajr

Children believe in superheroes. They wear masks and capes because they want to believe that the world is good. Let me fill you in on my childhood. It wasn't all rainbows and butterflies. I have your scars too. The world gave them to me. They gave them to me because it was my birthright to have them! They taught me a few things. They taught me that everything I love is going to wither away and die. I could be just like you. I could sign autographs, kiss babies, make sure everyone buys all my merchandise! I could go home to my plastic girlfriend in my castle, hold back everything I feel inside and tell jokes. Yeah, that's you, man.

bjork

The early ones, where I felt like I was watching Jake the Snake in his prime, I didn't know that two years later he'd be cutting the same promo over and over and over gain.

Can I see an example of this? If that one in the cage is an example, it's not really like Jake. He didn't need to yell and he didn't need 5 minutes.

klonere

Banned
Indeed. I remember watching ECW for the first time on the New York sports channel. It was mindblowing for the time because dudes were cursing, fighting all over the city, and using weapons on a regular basis. I continued watching during the ppv times but it didn't capture the same magic like seeing Tommy Dreamer hit Raven over the head with a stop sign.

Tommy Dreamer also debuted in amazing shape, with no shirt.

he went downhill quite quickly.

Tommy Snucka and Terry Funk had a fun cage match as well at the very beginning

EDIT: I liked this promo from Wyatt from the go home Raw for Mania https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ty5DNC2dIg

Gorillaz

Children believe in superheroes. They wear masks and capes because they want to believe that the world is good. Let me fill you in on my childhood. It wasn't all rainbows and butterflies. I have your scars too. The world gave them to me. They gave them to me because it was my birthright to have them! They taught me a few things. They taught me that everything I love is going to wither away and die. I could be just like you. I could sign autographs, kiss babies, make sure everyone buys all my merchandise! I could go home to my plastic girlfriend in my castle, hold back everything I feel inside and tell jokes. Yeah, that's you, man.

is this a kid ink verse that he didn't have time to drop at Mania?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Dream, I want to float you a theory and see what you think. You know how people give Cena guff about his STF? Did they ever stop to think John Cena is holding back on them because he doesn't want to reinjure some delicate wannabe actor like Wade Barrett or he doesn't want Dolph to get a bruise and go on twitter to complain about it and embarrass the brand? You telling me the best pythons in the business today can't pull some dude's head back?

So if Cena goes to AJPW and has REAL tough guys to wrestle and not some guys who were raised by watching wrestling on TV instead of fighting for real like Akebono, would John Cena's STF be the most devastating submission hold in pro wrestling today? Would John Cena end careers as the hired gun of Mrs. Giant Baba? If some nobody from some nobody Orlando based promotion can have the most devastating Faithbreaker in Japan, surely Cena could be the master and ruler of the universe.

strobogo

Banned
ECW was always shit. The only times it was okay was when guys who were way too talented to be there would stop by before being picked up by WWF/WCW/Japan. All the "ECW Originals" were dog shit. The biggest ECW storyline, Raven vs Dreamer, is AWFUL and full of some of the shittiest matches and swerves you'll ever find. WWE and Paul Heyman have done a masterful job of convincing people it was this great program that never got its due.

bjork

ECW was always shit. The only times it was okay was when guys who were way too talented to be there would stop by before being picked up by WWF/WCW/Japan. All the "ECW Originals" were dog shit. The biggest ECW storyline, Raven vs Dreamer, is AWFUL and full of some of the shittiest matches and swerves you'll ever find. WWE and Paul Heyman have done a masterful job of convincing people it was this great program that never got its due.

JT Smith getting amnesia and thinking he's Italian is the greatest gimmick in the history of this great sport.

I consider this Bray Wyatt's defining promo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzy_swnse0o

this is way better

RP912

Banned
Tommy Dreamer also debuted in amazing shape, with no shirt.

he went downhill quite quickly.

Tommy Snucka and Terry Funk had a fun cage match as well at the very beginning

It was interesting to see Tommy go from pretty boy to hardcore maniac during the course of two years.

klonere

Banned
looking back at that go home show promo from Wyatt it makes even less sense why he lost to Taker. It was perfectly set up for him to take his place, as a heel Undertaker.

sucks that he had to talk to himself for two months, tweak his ankle, lose and is now effectively useless. what is bray wyatt except a new undertaker type character? they couldn't even trust him with that gig either, preferring to get one last money match out of taker which will probably be even worse than this years match

Bowser

Smh at the Bray hate. He's far from a bad wrestler...he's just stuck in the worst type of limbo since Rick Martel.

He's a decent wrestler saddled with a gimmick of a cult leader who has no following.

I honestly have no idea where they take him from here. What feud has he even won? Bryan was a draw at best. Ambrose? Given how Ambrose is the only one who's been booked worse than Bray, that's hardly an accomlishment.

For all the dirt sheets talk about Bray (and Ambrose as well) being "the future" and built up for pushes, hard to see that reflected in the way they've been booked.

RP912

Banned

Even during the NWA days?

Because around then and before Vince Payroll, ECW was pretty watchable. It was unique for the time when wrestlers were clean shaven and sticking to the script.

Top Bottom