• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| The Spirit of the Ultimate Warrior Will Run Forever!

Anth0ny

Okay, I need to know: I completely skipped Mr. T's speech during the HOF. But skimming through the thread, it looks like it was completely awkwardly bad, with him rambling on and on about his mother or something. Is it worth going back to sit through?

Or is it just one of those, you kinda had to be there to witness how awkward this is kind of things?

It was probably the best speech ever. Watch that shit, and treat your momma right.

Razorskin

----- ------
Okay, I need to know: I completely skipped Mr. T's speech during the HOF. But skimming through the thread, it looks like it was completely awkwardly bad, with him rambling on and on about his mother or something. Is it worth going back to sit through?

Or is it just one of those, you kinda had to be there to witness how awkward this is kind of things?

He really loves his mother

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg3ACfcOHkQ

New page:

z7e1EI8.png

fixed

kiguel182

Mr T's speech was GOAT.

Sure, it wasn't about Wrestling but it was so awesome. And the crowd started chanting and he played them. So perfect.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
WOAH

that seems low, no? Who's going to subscribe after Mania?

Meltzer was expecting 1-1.5 million if I recall correctly.

It is low. The stock dropped a ton as a result.

Watch the damn ending, ignore this man

I watched the ending, where Kane came out to yank him off stage, and it was just so awkward to watch. Him saying "I'm sorry" over and over as he backed off stage. I felt bad for the guy.

But at the same time, a crowd WHATing a Hall of Fame speech while Austin is cracking up through the whole thing sounds pretty amazing.

charsace

Nope, but you have a better chance of Brock confronting Bryan over the title.

I want this to happen, but Cena has been out of the title picture for months and you just know he's itching to show everyone that Bryan only beat him because of the elbow injury that he couldn't stop talking about.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I don't know who Bray goes to feud with next. Bryan would be cool, but I doubt they'd go right back to that. Cesaro is possible, but I feel like that'd be a step back for Bray? Someone else needs to elevate Cesaro.

Don't know.

Sephzilla

It would be great if they could get Raw and SD live on the Network alongside TV. But realistically, I don't see why they couldn't have the episode live on the Network the moment Raw goes off air. Especially since the Network that airs it wont rerun the episode.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

son of a bitch

please prepare some serious suffering for Bootaaay so we can be unhappy together. I hear he really likes John Cena's Never Give Up attitude.

There's probably something better though...

I watched the ending, where Kane came out to yank him off stage, and it was just so awkward to watch. Him saying "I'm sorry" over and over as he backed off stage. I felt bad for the guy.

But at the same time, a crowd WHATing a Hall of Fame speech while Austin is cracking up through the whole thing sounds pretty amazing.

It was kind of messed up, but kind of hilarious at the same time. And totally deserved because he talked about his mother for like half a goddamn hour

Just put it on in the background while you're doing errands

You might be a winner
But you've never been much of an earner
jbw9kE4tQUowix_e.jpg

You son of a bitch

I want this to happen, but Cena has been out of the title picture for months and you just know he's itching to show everyone that Bryan only beat him because of the elbow injury that he couldn't stop talking about.

But he didn't mention it until after the fact, and straight up said it did not hamper him and it was no excuse. I'm all for Cena bashing, but he put over Bryan cleaner than anyone in his entire career on top.

Mania last year only did 600 thousand or so buys? That low? Wiki says it did more than 1 million.

600 thousand domestically. Worldwide it did over 1 million. But with the Network, you only factor in domestic numbers for right now, because only the US has legitimate access to it.

They are totally going to push Hornswoggle soon. Remember that WWE is producing Leprechaun: Origins with him. The film is R rated but they had also no problem with advertising for Sabotage.

They already trotted him out after Jake's heartfelt speech.

Hornswoggle the next face of the WWE confirmed.

RyudBoy

Goddamn, even though I already heard about it, I just saw the monitor directly under Orton as he delivered that RKO to DBry. Brutal.

kiguel182

600 thousand domestically. Worldwide it did over 1 million. But with the Network, you only factor in domestic numbers for right now, because only the US has legitimate access to it.

Okay, got it.

His analysis is kind of flawed when it comes to buyrates if we think about the US. PPVs there are expensive aren't they? like 50 bucks?

Which means that they only receive money for 1 PPV in full and the people that buy all of those PPVs in full are probably subscribed to the Network so they get less revenue from those people.

Xater

Goddamn, even though I already heard about it, I just saw the monitor directly under Orton as he delivered that RKO to DBry. Brutal.

Pretty sure he threw the monitor back there himself. No idea why he didn't throw it away from the table towards the ring like most people do.

Patryn

Okay, got it.

His analysis is kind of flawed when it comes to buyrates if we think about the US. PPVs there are expensive aren't they? like 50 bucks?

Which means that they only receive money for 1 PPV in full and the people that buy all of those PPVs in full are probably subscribed to the Network so they get less revenue from those people.

You're forgetting the cut that the satellite and cable providers take, which is 50 percent I believe. So, yes, they're getting less per PPV, but it's at the 2.5:1 ratio, and I'm sure there are plenty of fans (like me) who would only order 1 or 2 PPVs a year. If I subscribe for a full year, they're getting a lot more money from me than they used to.

Okay, got it.

He takes that into account. If you assume the base for every PPV was $50-$60, then multiply that times the buyrate, you get the number they got for that PPV. Now, they get a guaranteed $6.67 million every month for the next six months based on the Network subs. He did the math for every month to see how that $6.67 million compared to what they made last year off the same PPV in that month. He posted how many buys each PPV would have to do now on top of the Network subs to make that particular PPV more profitable than last year.

Thorakai

Okay, got it.

I doubt the WWE gets the full 50 dollars. I thought I read somewhere that the WWE Network works out better for them in terms of profits because of the cut given to cable companies, but I could be wrong on that.

kiguel182

Whoops. Posted when I meant to edit.

According to that article the providers take half. It's not that bad but they still lose in the first 6 months.

If they stabilise at 1 million then they make money on the second half of the year since non of those PPVs would give them that much money.

They need more people to make this a great deal for them since there are more costs to keep the Network up that aren't with traditional PPVs.

kiguel182

He takes that into account. If you assume the base for every PPV was $50-$60, then multiply that times the buyrate, you get the number they got for that PPV. Now, they get a guaranteed $6.67 million every month for the next six months based on the Network subs. He did the math for every month to see how that $6.67 million compared to what they made last year off the same PPV in that month. He posted how many buys each PPV would have to do now on top of the Network subs to make that particular PPV more profitable than last year.

Okay, I just re-read that and you are right.

Mania is the one where they need the most extra buys (and I don't think they will have it but it's an acceptable lost.

The problem with this math is that it doesn't take into consideration the upkeep of the Netowork, the production of new shows and all of that. It's still possible for them to make good business but they need more people subscribed to make it worth it since the work behind the Network is bigger than simply doing the PPVs.

Xater

Okay, I just re-read that and you are right.

Mania is the one where they need the most extra buys (and I don't think they will have it but it's an acceptable lost.

The problem with this math is that it doesn't take into consideration the upkeep of the Netowork, the production of new shows and all of that. It's still possible for them to make good business but they need more people subscribed to make it worth it since the work behind the Network is bigger than simply doing the PPVs.

The number that has been thrown around for them to break even is 800k. Of course there will be losses at the start but the whole Network is an investment.

According to that article the providers take half. It's not that bad but they still lose in the first 6 months.

If they stabilise at 1 million then they make money on the second half of the year since non of those PPVs would give them that much money.

They need more people to make this a great deal for them since there are more costs to keep the Network up that aren't with traditional PPVs.

600 or close to 700K doesn't seem like many subscribers. I thought with the ridiculous TNA 1 million per week, Raw ratings, etc, I thought they would've had more than a million subscribers.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Again though, you gotta keep in mind a lot of wrasslin fans out there don't have the internet or live in the boonies. An unfortunate elephant in the room.

styl3s

Again though, you gotta keep in mind a lot of wrasslin fans out there don't have the internet or live in the boonies. An unfortunate elephant in the room.
Are you referring to the network? Because surly it isn't because of the fact more americans don't have good reliable fast connections and unlimited bandwidth. They just live in tree houses and trailers out in incestville with no magic box computers.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Are you referring to the network? Because surly it isn't because of the fact more americans don't have good reliable fast connections and unlimited bandwidth.

The network, yeah. I think a significant amount of people out there don't get the concept (dmczaf mentioned a place he was at for a ppv, nobody understood what it was, thought it was a tv channel, etc) or don't use the internet like people should.

shwimpy

600 or close to 700K doesn't seem like many subscribers. I thought with the ridiculous TNA 1 million per week, Raw ratings, etc, I thought they would've had more than a million subscribers.
The on-demand stuff was quite hitchy for a while... I'm sure a lot of the free trial people had zero faith Wrestlemania would work flawlessly.

Top Bottom