• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| The Spirit of the Ultimate Warrior Will Run Forever!

Haha, yeah I like all this video game boss Triple H talk. Kinda like Senator Armstrong from Metal Gear Rising. You fight him in his suit, and he seems kinda tough...then it's time to play the game.

But yeah. I don't want or think my interest in wrestling will last for more than a couple more months, so I'm glad I wandered in during such a fruitful time. I checked out the rumble by chance, and it seems to have been the nadir of modern WWE style. Since then they've had no choice but to take some chances and make unexpected choices, and it's led to some really fun stuff. Even the Undertaker's terribly diminished departure was, in it's way, some crazy fun. Horrible that he was actually injured though. Poor Undertaker! A weird thing to say, huh?

Ithil

This post WM28 Extreme Rules match between D-Bry and Sheamus really that good? I might watch it later, so hyped for Bryan.

It was an excellent match. Both guys clearly wanted to prove they should have had a proper WM match so they went all out. Bryan was also kept unusually strong for the time (getting himself DQ'd for one fall, and submitting Sheamus for the second, then only losing the third via two Brogue Kicks in a row). Like an apology, maybe.

geomon

brock-hits-show-with-chair.gif

*that works more than 5 matches a year

Wellscha

They need to turn Sheamus back into a heel. Yeah I know it's all about the merch for the kids but you have plenty of babyfaces for that. We need that nasty monster heel that goes in and just brutalizes people.

"Lobster Head" gimmick was amazing.

Sephzilla

They seem to be desperately trying to bury Disco Inferno.

But... you know what, that segment made me a little bit of a Disco mark

EDIT: OH GOD BRET HART SMILED

They seem to be desperately trying to bury Disco Inferno.

But... you know what, that segment made me a little bit of a Disco mark

EDIT: OH GOD BRET HART SMILED

They didn't really bury the gimmick that much. I thought they did a nice job of admitting that Disco was over at times.

strobogo

Banned
All I can think about now is Punk. Bryan comes off as the most legitimately humble, nice and cool dude, whereas Punk comes off as legit, but also a huge asshole who can't be happy with anything and is hard to get along with. Bryan comes off as a guy who is really pretty happy to be doing anything with wrestling. Even at his lowest points in WWE, he still seemed to be happy that he was doing anything at all. And I think Bryan has had a more genuine and stronger connection to the crowd than Punk ever did.

All of this stuff could have been Punk if he wasn't such a miserable prick all the time. But as a dude who was introduced to indie wrestling in 2002 and saw Punk and Bryan evolve into what they became, this thing was so cool. I can remember finding Bryan/Daniels/Low Ki from the first ROH show on Kazaa and getting hooked. And being able to follow a dude from that to main eventing WM and getting a documentary about him is so cool and is really something that only possible in this era. You never used to be able to follow a guy from the lowest rung to the top like you can now. That was a big part of Punk's appeal, but Bryan is SO much more likable both as a character and person.

Bryan's constant near or actual corpsing is so endearing because he's a dude that can't even hide how happy he is to be doing what he's doing, whereas Punk always looked miserable even as a top guy. He never looked like a guy who you could be happy for. Bryan's connection to the fans feels so much more real than the connection to Punk and if Punk leaving is what it took for Bryan to get to where he is, then so be it.

It has to do with their upbringings. Punk essentally rasied himself while bryan was rased by his family who supproted his dream every step of the way.

Both were told they could be big and kept having to klaw their way up. Punk just became jaded due to the frustration while bryan just tried to plow past it.

highly recoment punks documenrty if you havent seen it yet.

Sblargh

Banned
Cool. I'll do real life stuff and then watch Bryan vs Sheamus at Extreme Rules; Re-watch the Shield match tonight because I paid less atention than it deserved and go after some of the matches of the year Bootay posted earlier on.

I was so hyped for WM30 and this week made me more hyped yet for Rasslin'. So magical.

All I can think about now is Punk. Bryan comes off as the most legitimately humble, nice and cool dude, whereas Punk comes off as legit, but also a huge asshole who can't be happy with anything and is hard to get along with. Bryan comes off as a guy who is really pretty happy to be doing anything with wrestling. Even at his lowest points in WWE, he still seemed to be happy that he was doing anything at all. And I think Bryan has had a more genuine and stronger connection to the crowd than Punk ever did.

All of this stuff could have been Punk if he wasn't such a miserable prick all the time. But as a dude who was introduced to indie wrestling in 2002 and saw Punk and Bryan evolve into what they became, this thing was so cool. I can remember finding Bryan/Daniels/Low Ki from the first ROH show on Kazaa and getting hooked. And being able to follow a dude from that to main eventing WM and getting a documentary about him is so cool and is really something that only possible in this era. You never used to be able to follow a guy from the lowest rung to the top like you can now. That was a big part of Punk's appeal, but Bryan is SO much more likable both as a character and person.

Bryan's constant near or actual corpsing is so endearing because he's a dude that can't even hide how happy he is to be doing what he's doing, whereas Punk always looked miserable even as a top guy. He never looked like a guy who you could be happy for. Bryan's connection to the fans feels so much more real than the connection to Punk and if Punk leaving is what it took for Bryan to get to where he is, then so be it.

Your description of Punk reminds me of Low Ki. Dude has far too much pride, and not being able to swallow it ended up biting him in the ass.

strobogo

Banned
Fuck WWE for burying Disco so hard. Disco was a PERFECT mid card guy. He was fun, always got a reaction, was entertaining, and made guys look good. He was absolutely perfect for his role. Disco is one of the best mid carders EVER. Of any company and any era. Disco was good. WWE would should be happy to have a mid carder as good as Disco. Fandango could be that if they give him any time in the ring. Heath Slater is the closest thing to carrying the tradition of Disco, but 3MB is basically Superstars only at this point. They act like he was pushed as a top guy or something. He wasn't. He was the Santino of WCW, but a better worker. Disco was DOPE. He, Kanyon, Norman were some of the most enjoyable guys in the last 3 years of WCW.

I also kind of take issue with the Mountie. I mean, Mountie was TERRIBLE as a singles guy, but the gimmick was fine. Especially in that era. How can you shit on the Mountie while giving Boss Man a pass? Boss Man is every bit as stupid as the Mountie. The Quebecers and Fabulous Rougeaus were super enjoyable teams. I fucking hate Mountie as a singles guy, but really really enjoyed both of his teams. I have zero issue with the gimmick, though.

And Doink. Heel Doink was great. When they turned him into an actual wrestling clown, it was terrible. But heel Doink was basically the test run for early Goldust. Heel Doink didn't last nearly long enough. Bret Hart of all people putting the gimmick over should be proof enough. Bret puts NOTHING over except for him or his relatives. Bret got it. Fuck, Doink might have been the first truly meta gimmick WWE did. WWF at the time was referred to as a circus based on the ridiculous gimmicks they had. Then they debut a CLOWN, but as it turns out, this clown can actually wrestle and uses his clown gimmick just to fuck with people. Matt Borne was a good wrestler who was stuck with shitty gimmicks in WCW and WWE. Big Josh wasn't good, but heel Doink was.

Knox

I think that Bryan/Daniels/Low Ki triple threat was the first indie match I really watched too, that or the round robin they did.

I agree with the personality differences of Punk and Bryan, but I think it took both to get where we are now. Like you said, Bryan would probably be happy enough doing anything, he would never have been as confrontational as Punk. I think Punk's run helped open the decision makers' eyes about guys they might have normally passed over, but Punk had to be hardheaded about things for it to happen. The kind of person it takes to do that isn't likely to be the kind of person that the crowd can fall in love with, which is who Bryan is.

But that's just my smark ass way of reading it as a guy who knows nothing.

Alucard

Banned
I still can't get over the chanting for Bryan to start off Raw last night. I think it was LEGIT the loudest chanting and cheering I've heard for a pro wrestler ever. At least, with everyone being so in sync. They were ON POINT every time he lifted his arms up in the air.

I seriously had some tears in my eyes. I was so happy for Daniel.

You know another thing that bothers me about the Undertaker thing at WM.

The useless camera angle they used for the pinfall.

Its only 21 years of build up guys, don't bother getting a decent shot of the ref/count/both guys or anything. :|

I still can't get over the chanting for Bryan to start off Raw last night. I think it was LEGIT the loudest chanting and cheering I've heard for a pro wrestler ever. At least, with everyone being so in sync. They were ON POINT every time he lifted his arms up in the air.

I seriously had some tears in my eyes. I was so happy for Daniel.

Yes it was like a dream for me, imagine what he felt like. Legit raw (lol) emotion. Amazing. I can't believe he held up so well through it. I was getting emotional just watching.

They basically hi-jacked his speech just wanting to say bro you are so f**king awesome and we're proud to have helped you get here. He must be like "So that is what its like to have the crowd hi-jack your promo lol"

F**k that was special.

Considering it was 2 years ago, the night after that WM shit, where we basically saw the birth of COME HERE BRYAN WE LOVE YOU NO MATTER WHAT WWE IS TRYING TO PULL crowd embrace... it was like poetry (or lolgoodbooking) that moment happening there.

Happy crowd got to chant for happy things, no longer chanting in pure defiance because they wanted something different to the shit the WWE would put out - they're chanting HAPPINESS because we GOT THE THING WE HAD BEEN CHANTING FOR.

So amazing.

Disco Inferno was cool man, fuck the WWE Network. I'd like to see Santino or Fandango put on a match half as good as that one with Juventud Guerrera at Halloween Havoc 98

strobogo

Banned
I think that Bryan/Daniels/Low Ki triple threat was the first indie match I really watched too, that or the round robin they did.

I agree with the personality differences of Punk and Bryan, but I think it took both to get where we are now. Like you said, Bryan would probably be happy enough doing anything, he would never have been as confrontational as Punk. I think Punk's run helped open the decision makers' eyes about guys they might have normally passed over, but Punk had to be hardheaded about things for it to happen. The kind of person it takes to do that isn't likely to be the kind of person that the crowd can fall in love with, which is who Bryan is.

But that's just my smark ass way of reading it as a guy who knows nothing.

On some level, I agree the Punk broke the door open, but I think it has more to do with HHH and than Punk. I tie Bryan's run to HHH being in charge. Vince didn't see anything in Bryan. If Vince was still 100% in control, I don't think Bryan would have have been anywhere near the main event of WM 30 regardless of how over he is. I feel like Bryan being where he is is Vince conceeding his power to HHH. HHH understands wrestling in 2014 more than Vince. He understands the internet more. Vince is a near 70 year old man. He's still stuck in the mind set of pro wrestlers needing to look like muscled guys like Cena. I don't think he'll ever be able to concede or understand why guys like Bryan or Punk got over. It's a different era and I really think Vince doesn't get it anymore, which is why he trusts HHH so much to leave WM with Taker. Vince knows the business has passed him by.

Vylash

John Cena kicked off Smackdown and announced that we are in a new era following WrestleMania XXX and talked about Daniel Bryan, Cesaro and The Shield winning their matches. He calls himself the "measuring stick" and "standard bearer", and reiterates that anyone who wants to make a name for themselves in the WWE now has to go directly through him

I hate everything

John Cena kicked off Smackdown and announced that we are in a new era following WrestleMania XXX and talked about Daniel Bryan, Cesaro and The Shield winning their matches. He calls himself the "measuring stick" and "standard bearer", and reiterates that anyone who wants to make a name for themselves in the WWE now has to go directly through him

I hate everything
#ThankYouCena

bwtw

Neo Member
Yes it was like a dream for me, imagine what he felt like. Legit raw (lol) emotion. Amazing. I can't believe he held up so well through it. I was getting emotional just watching.

They basically hi-jacked his speech just wanting to say bro you are so f**king awesome and we're proud to have helped you get here. He must be like "So that is what its like to have the crowd hi-jack your promo lol"

F**k that was special.

Considering it was 2 years ago, the night after that WM shit, where we basically saw the birth of COME HERE BRYAN WE LOVE YOU NO MATTER WHAT WWE IS TRYING TO PULL crowd embrace... it was like poetry (or lolgoodbooking) that moment happening there.

Happy crowd got to chant for happy things, no longer chanting in pure defiance because they wanted something different to the shit the WWE would put out - they're chanting HAPPINESS because we GOT THE THING WE HAD BEEN CHANTING FOR.

So amazing.

If you want emotion, his promo on Backstage Pass was even better. Was basically breaking up trying to thank the fans.

Showaddy

Yeah Vince obviously cares about Taker a hell of a lot but I reckon him not really giving a fuck about the ending played a part in him leaving as well. Hunter & Dunn had the show covered so he wasn't really needed anyway.

Nelo Ice

Banned

I hate everything

SMH.
If Trips can put someone over then Cena is just about the only one who will never put a guy over.

Top Bottom