• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| The Spirit of the Ultimate Warrior Will Run Forever!

RIP Warrior - you were one of my favorite wrestlers and as a kid, getting to pretend I was you with the little guy below was awesome:

ultimatewarrior.jpg

Also, I must have dumped over hundreds of hours as a kid playing as Warrior in this game:

ERIO4.jpg

It's so sad to hear this news.

Heel

Enjoyed the Road to Wrestlemania with Daniel Bryan. I think I understand now.

That said, I hope the man shaves for his wedding.

R.I.P. Warrior.

He was one of the first wrestlers I considered myself a fan of when I was a young kid watching wrestling for the first time and, even though my opinion of him as a wrestler waned in the years since, his intensity and character were undeniable. A truly unique talent who we'll never see the likes of again.

I think Funk's passing is going to be the worst for me.

Probably Hansen, for me. Either Dory or Terry going will be pretty heartbreaking, though - but at least all those guys are likely going out from old age.

Little surprised at how clean of a finish Wyatts/Shield was. Given the high status both teams are, and where the storyline is it would be a DQ via interference. But it also makes sense given the series record.

Ambrose's selling is one of the secret best things to watch.
yep
MqBHwYy.gif

Bella is going to go in for a kiss and get nothing but beard. Just imagine how bad it will be if he goes for the romantic art of cunnilingus on her...

Nice to see you finally coming around. You know, the more times I watch the AJ/Paige segment over, the more I get hype for a real match between the two. If given the right time, it'll probably easily be the best Divas match in years.

Sleeping around 6 pm, waking up at 11 pm, aaaaaaaaand fuck. That sucks.

"ACTION STAGE LEFT, ACTION STAGE RIGHT"

RIP Warrior. He was a complicated man, but he died a happy one.

Edgeward

Whoever told Rusev to go cold, heartless machine with his expression should get a pat on the back. He can't really sell intensity with a mean look so this works out better for him. The way he looked while locking on the accolade was a good visual for him.

Lana should be more commanding. She needs a bit more vicious tone in her commands and I am thinking an attitude closer to a dominatrix would work. Basically she needs to be more like Stephanie, who always looks like she enjoys others in severe pain.

I dont even know what we can do for April OT2 now. This week has been crazy for all the right and wrong reasons.

RIP warrior

Also on a slightly more positive subject I hope Zeb gets someone decent to replace Cesaro. Dude is a great manager and I love we have managers again but he needs someone great to manage. Lolswagger

Vylash

I dont even know what we can do for April OT2 now. This week has been crazy for all the right and wrong reasons.

RIP warrior

Also on a slightly more positive subject I hope Zeb gets someone decent to replace Cesaro. Dude is a great manager and I love we have managers again but he needs someone great to manage. Lolswagger

img_19596_curtis-axel-entrance-video.jpg

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
As bad as Warrior was in WCW, rewatching this stuff I come to appreciate Hollywood as a heel. He's just got such great old school mannerisms. The chokes, the belt, the picking fights with the ref.

Man, I go to sleep for a few hours and I wake up to this news...

I was too young to ever really catch any of Warrior's stuff, but I honestly fell in love with the guy over the last couple of days. I was looking forward to seeing the new documentary, and catching up on some of his old stuff on the Network.

I mean I was watching the guy just last night giving an eerie, yet very heartfelt promo. Can't believe this happened so soon.

Rest in peace big guy ;_;

Whoever told Rusev to go cold, heartless machine with his expression should get a pat on the back. He can't really sell intensity with a mean look so this works out better for him. The way he looked while locking on the accolade was a good visual for him.

Lana should be more commanding. She needs a bit more vicious tone in her commands and I am thinking an attitude closer to a dominatrix would work. Basically she needs to be more like Stephanie, who always looks like she enjoys others in severe pain.

While I agree, I can't help but think that Rusev is destined for failure. He's not good at selling, short, limited in the ring, can't cut a promo, has a mouthpiece who's limited in her "Russian", an 80's gimmick, and he's already getting ZERO reaction even after being built-up for months. They are going to shove him down the audience's throats, but he will be spit back out very quickly

Edgeward

My opinion on Swagger isn't as low as some people, he has put in good work the past couple months in his tag matches and he pulled off a pretty good match with Big E at Elimination Chamber. The various ways he counters into the ankle lock is great. Although the way he stands too tall when applying it irks me to no end,

That said, he isn't going past mid card especially with the unification of the world titles. And Zeb's mic skills are deserving of elevating someone to that level that needs it. I just don't see anyone that fits the mold yet.

While I agree, I can't help but think that Rusev is destined for failure. He's not good at selling, short, limited in the ring, can't cut a promo, has a mouthpiece who's limited in her "Russian", an 80's gimmick, and he's already getting ZERO reaction even after being built-up for months. They are going to shove him down the audience's throats, but he will be spit back out very quickly

I don't see a great future either. The main thing I want to see in a big guy is a sense of danger and mean streak like he could actually kill someone, that's one of the reasons why Brock is great and Big Show isn't. I can watch Brock and hell Mark Henry destroy people for weeks because they have an intensity and fire that is palpable.

The matches I have seen on NXT with Rusev lack that, and none of the moves accentuate that either. But they are going to try to make it work and this is a step in the right direction.

My top Warrior feuds.
1. Macho King( forced the king to skip the Rumble)
2. Taker ( He was really legit shook)
3. Slaughter ( He got a serious Beatdown before rising up)
4. Hogan ( 2 big icons battling for top wrestler in the company

Xater

Just woke up and thought about checking out WrassleGAF for some fun....

At first I thought you guys were doing a sick joke, but Warrior really did die. This in incredibly sad. He just came back and seemingly made peace.

RIP Warrior.

UberTag

Unless he rapidly improves, he's going to have a shorter run than non-dancing Tensai.
I'd rather see them just nix the inevitable parade of squash matches with shit commentary and kick off the Cena feud where his gimmick gets destroyed now.

My opinion on Swagger isn't as low as some people, he has put in good work the past couple months in his tag matches and he pulled off a pretty good match with Big E at Elimination Chamber. The various ways he counters into the ankle lock is great. Although the way he stands too tall when applying it irks me to no end,

That said, he isn't going past mid card especially with the unification of the world titles. And Zeb's mic skills are deserving of elevating someone to that level that needs it. I just don't see anyone that fits the mold yet.

Swagger is fine in a tag team, but his time as a singles competitor should be over.

I legitimately feel bad for Sheamus because he's a great worker but he's never given any depth to his character and the fact that he knows it is just too bad because you know it's eating him up. They need to hurry up and turn heel just to add SOMETHING to him. Make him join Evolution 2.0 instead of Kane. He could be really good in that role. In fact he should feud with Bryan for the title at Extreme Rules, HHH and his shitty friends can wait for Battleground.

10590%20-%20Curtis_Axel%20Raw%20autoplay_gif%20gif%20michael_mcgillicutty%20wwe.gif

At least someone around these parts understands!
I legitimately feel bad for Sheamus because he's a great worker but he's never given any depth to his character and the fact that he knows it is just too bad because you know it's eating him up. They need to hurry up and turn heel just to add SOMETHING to him. Make him join Evolution 2.0 instead of Kane. He could be really good in that role. In fact he should feud with Bryan for the title at Extreme Rules, HHH and his shitty friends can wait for Battleground.
yeah. He also seems like the nicest guy in the world. ironically, he should really go heel. Evo 2.0 would be a good fit

Toki767

They cursed him with that 18 second win. He's just never going to be popular with the hardcore crowd as a face. Although now that Bryan's finally champion, the crowd might be a bit more forgiving.

They cursed him with that 18 second win. He's just never going to be popular with the hardcore crowd as a face. Although now that Bryan's finally champion, the crowd might be a bit more forgiving.
yesterday proved otherwise. which is why it makes sense for him to go heel. He'll definitely never recover as a face, plus there's just too many faces on the rise right now and there's not much room for him at the top as one.

Edgeward

There was always the rumor of Sheamus going heel to face DBry at WM until plans got changed. So the plan should still be on the table. It would be a great way for Bryan to lose to the title in a surprising turn at ER or the the next ppv as they tease a 4th member to the stable and there is a run in by Sheamus to cost DBry the title. We already know him and Hunter are good friends and work out buddies. It would just push the reality era more.

Plus Sheamus has the history of always going over Bryan yet in the end Bryan gets the support of the fans and gets the WM moment he wanted, while he gets booed by the crowd every week. That provides sufficient reason there.

Knox

I think he's pretty good, but I can only see him feasting on bottom-mid carders until they want to bring up someone like Zayn/Neville to get over on him. His gimmick is probably too generic to gain much traction. His ceiling is probably being a gatekeeper for potential main event faces, I don't think he'll ever touch Cena/Bryan. With the right gimmick he could go further.

PS: RIP Warrior. There are a handful of wrestlers that transcended wrestling. He was one of them.

Toki767

yesterday proved otherwise. which is why it makes sense for him to go heel. He'll definitely never recover as a face, plus there's just too many faces on the rise right now and there's not much room for him at the top as one.

Well they put him with Cena against the Wyatts. I don't know how you could think he'd get any other reaction.

Nah, Bryan losing the title at ER would damage him greatly because he's never successfully defended (or at for that matter) the title. If they're really doing HHH/Bryan at ER then Sheamus should just turn heel during the build. Him running-in and costing Bryan the title TO HHH, would undo all the good will that the E has been doing the past few days.

Sblargh

Banned
I watched that Bryan vs Sheamus match and man, I love technical Bryan almost as much as running knee Bryan. The commentary was surprisingly good, too, explaining how Bryan is a technician, how he likes to slow down the pace, how he knows "over a 100" submission maneuvers.

They could bring that stuff back now that he is no longer the underdog and is not fighting injuried or handicapped or bullshited in any way. I guess it makes sense to have him more energetic in shorter matches, but on longer matches they should totally let him do the submissions he clearly knows and love while hyping out what a technician he is and so on.

The biggest problem with the WWE these days is that they don't have nearly enough feuds going.

The best thing about both the attitude, and ruthless aggression eras is just how many storylines there are at any given moment.

Everybody from jobbers, midcarders, and all the way to top stars had beef with each other that they'd advance every week. And that's even without a belt being the driving factor.

Now even straight-up fucking champions don't have any sort of rivalries with anybody else. It's pretty dumb, and makes the show a lot more lifeless.

Though to be fair, last RAW I thought they established some good new rivalries, but I hope they can keep it up.

You sound like you could use some TNA, where no one goes without a story!
Well they put him with Cena against the Wyatts. I don't know how you could think he'd get any other reaction.
True but I don't see them suddenly taking an interest in him. Dude is still a bland face when he's not being a horrible person

Edgeward

It just depends on the how much faith they have in Bryan to keep things interesting. The next couple Raw ratings will be interesting because he will get the finger pointed at him, rightly or wrongly.

The element of the Shield could go a long way to extend things because it adds variables to the mix and allows for different outcomes. Personally that is why I mentioned the PPV after ER, they need to establish a heel to challenge him other than HHH because they treated Orton/Batista like shit so far.

It just depends on the how much faith they have in Bryan to keep things interesting. The next couple Raw ratings will be interesting because he will get the finger pointed at him, rightly or wrongly.

The element of the Shield could go a long way to extend things because it adds variables to the mix and allows for different outcomes. Personally that is why I mentioned the PPV after ER, they need to establish a heel to challenge him other than HHH because they treated Orton/Batista like shit so far.

"Here comes a Sheamus for the save OH GOD SHEAMUS WITH A BROGUE KICK TO BRYAN"

"Sheamus has gone corporate MAGGLE!"

Sheamus thinks it's bullshit that he beat a guy in 18 seconds and the loser went on to become the star. BOOM.

Top Bottom