• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| The Spirit of the Ultimate Warrior Will Run Forever!

In a way I feel like WWE had to tone down it's product after the insane matches of 2000-2004ish, sort of hitting the reset button so not everything was a finishing move or insane flip piledriver (if that makes sense).

However, it's been like a decade of toned down basic movesets and I'm ready for more variation again.

I presume you're talking about Sayama and not the current Tiger Mask :p

You'd think he has to go in at some point - he did hold a belt in WWF and they must have a fair bit of footage in their archives from his short stint in WWF and when he was in Stampede, so hopefully it won't be too long before he goes in.

I'd love for WWE to work together with New Japan and make a Tiger Mask vs Dynamite Kid DVD with a bunch of matches and a documentary on the legacy they created.

Sayama, yes. have Rey induct him.

new folks on this thread should check the Tiger vs Dynamite matches. it's essentially modern ROH matches 20 years before ROH even existed.

Edit: Actually, don't even have Brock in the MITB match. Just have Brock show up at the end of the match and steal the briefcase from whomever actually won it.

This would be fucking hilarious.

SANTINO HAS WON MIT*brock, brock, brockbrockbrock*

And yeah, having Bryan 1: Lose the title to Brock at Survivor Series 2: Enter Rumble, Win 3: Beat Brock at Mania would be keen

I got to meet Paul Orndorf. I asked him how he was doing.

He told me he really needed to take a piss.

#WrestlemaniaMoment

Sayama, yes. have Rey induct him.

new folks on this thread should check the Tiger vs Dynamite matches. it's essentially modern ROH matches 20 years before ROH even existed.

I checked out the matches after seeing the Dynamite Kid documentary that guy made via crowd funding (which is great btw).

Damn, I'd love this! I fee like it's been a while since we had our last title theft storyline. Doing it with the MITB Briefcase would be amazing.

Sephzilla

And yeah, having Bryan 1: Lose the title to Brock at Survivor Series 2: Enter Rumble, Win 3: Beat Brock at Mania would be keen

I'd be down for Bryan going through the proper Royal Rumble / Wrestlemania story arc that he should have got this year. But at the same time, I'd actually be perfectly okay with Bryan going the distance and being champ all the way to next Mania. He fucking deserves it.

Damn, I'd love this! I fee like it's been a while since we had our last title theft storyline. Doing it with the MITB Briefcase would be amazing.

It'd have to be someone who wins it in an upset, but you couldn't really see standing up to Brock. Santino it is!

And yes I'm all for title theft. I want some CM Punk in FIP shennanagins; 'POSESSION IS 9/10THS OF THE LAW, HOMICIDE'

I'd be down for Bryan going through the proper Royal Rumble / Wrestlemania story arc that he should have got this year. But at the same time, I'd actually be perfectly okay with Bryan going the distance and being champ all the way to next Mania. He fucking deserves it.

That'd be cool for an Iron Man thing, but I think the best comparison here is Bryan is Austin/Trips is Vince/Cena is Bret. Brock is Brock

Man, I love you guys. WrassleGAF is great, we talk about everything and anything and the conversation just flows naturally. It's a nice place, better than most actual wrestling forums where there are so many different topics and threads and ergh.

Zach

In a way I feel like WWE had to tone down it's product after the insane matches of 2000-2004ish, sort of hitting the reset button so not everything was a finishing move or insane flip piledriver (if that makes sense).

However, it's been like a decade of toned down basic movesets and I'm ready for more variation again.

Oh, for sure. I think they're a lot smarter than hardcore fans think. After WCW and the big wrasslin' boom, they downshifted. They knew the fan base would fall off and so they went back to a more family-friendly show. They had to get younger, less skeptical fans to buy in to continue to exist. I'm assuming they have a bit of a cradle-to-the-grave mentality and the product will slowly become edgier before another reset occurs.

That's just how I've always thought of it, at least.

Zach

Man, I love you guys. WrassleGAF is great, we talk about everything and anything and the conversation just flows naturally. It's a nice place, better than most actual wrestling forums where there are so many different topics and threads and ergh.

I credit WrassleGAF (and the WWE Network, of course) with bringing me back as a fan. It's been a good ten years at least since I've closely followed wrestling. I don't know if it'll last, but it's fun right now.

Thanks, guys!

Edit: Sorry for the double-post. >_>

Sephzilla

When was the last time we had a proper title theft storyline anyway?

If Brock would steal the MITB briefcase he'd obviously have to steal it from someone like Ziggler though to get any heat from it.

charsace

Rumors are that Devitt might sign with TNA. This doesn't make any sense. TNA is practically dead and the WCW signs are there with long time guys leaving. If he signs with TNA he has no chance of being in the WWE.

Toki767

When was the last time we had a proper title theft storyline anyway?

If Brock would steal the MITB briefcase he'd obviously have to steal it from someone like Ziggler though to get any heat from it.

Well it wasn't a proper storyline, but Austin Aries stole Manik's costume and won the X Division title with it last year.

Rumors are that Devitt might sign with TNA. This doesn't make any sense. TNA is practically dead and the WCW signs are there with long time guys leaving. If he signs with TNA he has no chance of being in the WWE.

The rumor is TNA really wants him, but obviously TNA wants any guy WWE wants (or doesn't want a lot of times). Devitt would have to be an idiot to sign with TNA over WWE.

Sephzilla

The rumor is TNA really wants him, but obviously TNA wants any guy WWE wants (or doesn't want a lot of times). Devitt would have to be an idiot to sign with TNA over WWE.

If I was a talent right now and my choices were between TNA or WWE with a short NXT stint, it would be WWE without question. The writing on the wall is right there for TNA, that place is going to be out of business within 6-12 months.

They'd call him Prat Divvy and he'd be Magnus' comic relief sidekick within weeks.

If I was a talent right now and my choices were between TNA or WWE with a short NXT stint, it would be WWE without question. The writing on the wall is right there for TNA, that place is going to be out of business within 6-12 months.

What are NXT's viewership figures like compared to TNA, or is it not really possible to compare due to network difference?

Posting this because it's rare, can't be found elsewhere on the net and I know there's a least one or two of you that like old school wrassles;

Rusher Kimura (c) vs Alexis Smirnoff - IWA World Heavyweight Title - (IWE 11/22/1980)

There's nothing fancy about this one. 90% of it's on the mat, working the same handful of holds, but it's a good contest nonetheless. Smirnoff (a Canadian playing the Russian gimmick, he won the NWA tag titles on two occasions) resorts to some dirty tactics later on and Kimura bleeds, which only makes him more angry. Rusher's knife edge chops sounds fucking disgusting. Good finish, as well.

Where the hell has Kenny Omega been??

DDT. Here's a recent match;

Kota Ibushi & Kenny Omega (c) vs Michael Nakazawa & Tomomitsu Matsunaga - KO-D Openweight Tag Titles - (DDT 03/21/14)

I'm hoping he shows up in the Super Jr's this year. Omega vs Ibushi in the semis would be awesome (Ibushi vs Desperado in the finals, tho!!).

tm24

Jeeeeeezus, what a bump;

zo1ubQK.gif

Hechicero vs Cavernario - En Busca de un Idolo - (CMLL 04/08/14)

To the surprise of no one, Hechicero is running away from the competition with the match totals and the fan voting

56 Hechicero
46 Cachorro
44 Dragon Lee
40 Super Halcon Jr.
34 Cavernario
23 Star Jr./Soberano Jr./Guerrero Negro Jr.

http://enbuscadeunidolo.com/

• HECHICERO 103125
  • SÚPER HALCÓN JR.24300
  • CACHORRO 3475
  • GUERRERO NEGRO JR.1991
  • DRAGON LEE 1838
  • STAR JR.1233
  • BÁRBARO CAVERNARIO 1137
  • SOBERANO JR. 1029

I love breaking CMLL's stupid voting system

Did you watch the rest of the those matches Bootaaay?

HUG ME BUDDY *hug*
*belly to belly suplex*

Toki767

What are NXT's viewership figures like compared to TNA, or is it not really possible to compare due to network difference?

NXT I'm guessing is at least very popular in Europe since it actually airs on TV there. I would imagine TNA gets more viewers currently though.

I'm pretty sure HHH is probably going to guarantee Devitt that he probably won't have to be in NXT very long before being called up. He might do one set of tapings or something and that'd be it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
We'll never get to see the Zandig/Warrior feud

Also, Cornette has already proven TNA 'informants' are just Dixie trying to draw up interest on the internet. I bet she came up with that story.

He did an interview with WWE.com!

WWE.COM: You’ve been to two WrestleManias. What were some of the highlights of your experiences?

MBEH: Last year was all about meeting Triple H. His [book, “Building a Better Game”] was the first one I actually read outside of school. It gave me confidence that I could work out. At one point I weighed 375 pounds, and that was in 2010, 2011. Something happened with me in a hospital I couldn’t explain; my blood pressure was really high … I took what I learned from Triple H and just committed myself. Every day I just went to the gym, worked out for hours with what I saw in the book and I just stayed determined. I know for a fact that if I’d never read his book I would not be here.

WWE.COM: What happened when you met him?

MBEH: Someone told me I only had 30 seconds, so I go “OK. I’ll just say what I have to say real quick, show him [my before and after picture] and that’s it.” I’d never been to Axxess before, never been to WrestleMania before.

I get in line and I’m third in line, my wife is right behind me, and the two guys in front of me just walk away. I guess they were going to see other Superstars. So out of nowhere, I was first and I’m crapping my pants. All the planning I had about 30 seconds ago is gone. I see him and he’s like, “How you doin,’ man?” and I go, “Um, I’m good.” He signed my title belt and I said, “I just want to thank you for saving my life,” and I just started crying. I just kept on talking and he just stopped and looked at me and I told him everything.

Like, who in the world gets to [meet] the person who saved their life, you know? People don’t get that moment. And he just listened to everything I said and he said, “I’m proud of you. You say you look up to me, but I’m proud of you.” Just hearing that made me feel like I did something right. He got the camera crew, we did an interview, he told me he was proud of me, he hugged me and that was it, but it meant a lot to me.

HHH :3

Slizeezyc

Smackdown spoiler:
He says it again this Friday

Is it really wrong for Cena to say though? I'm not defending the guy, but shouldn't the next evolution of him be that he's this mean veteran who works a little more stiff and beats the crap out of the "young" guys because he's John Cena. He is the Alpha and Omega on that front. He should totally be that guy at this point who is just like, "yeah whatever I'm John Cena so you're kind of screwed."

Posting this because it's rare, can't be found elsewhere on the net and I know there's a least one or two of you that like old school wrassles;

Rusher Kimura (c) vs Alexis Smirnoff - IWA World Heavyweight Title - (IWE 11/22/1980)

There's nothing fancy about this one. 90% of it's on the mat, working the same handful of holds, but it's a good contest nonetheless. Smirnoff (a Canadian playing the Russian gimmick, he won the NWA tag titles on two occasions) resorts to some dirty tactics later on and Kimura bleeds, which only makes him more angry. Rusher's knife edge chops sounds fucking disgusting. Good finish, as well.

DDT. Here's a recent match;

Kota Ibushi & Kenny Omega (c) vs Michael Nakazawa & Tomomitsu Matsunaga - KO-D Openweight Tag Titles - (DDT 03/21/14)

I'm hoping he shows up in the Super Jr's this year. Omega vs Ibushi in the semis would be awesome (Ibushi vs Desperado in the finals, tho!!).

Thanks for the DDT link. Love me DDT and Omega. And his theme! Haha.

Is it really wrong for Cena to say though? I'm not defending the guy, but shouldn't the next evolution of him be that he's this mean veteran who works a little more stiff and beats the crap out of the "young" guys because he's John Cena. He is the Alpha and Omega on that front. He should totally be that guy at this point who is just like, "yeah whatever I'm John Cena so you're kind of screwed."

Agreed. He's not done yet, so coming out and saying as much would be pointless. Plus, what he says isn't what really matters, it's how he is booked and how those with him are booked.

Guzim

WWE.com: So we’re going to end on a fun question, because this is all about fun. Who would win in a bench press contest: You or “Brock Lesnar Guy”?

ELLIS: Oh, me! I can totally bench more than Brock Lesnar Guy.

WWE.COM: That could happen for WrestleMania 31, you never know.

ELLIS: I rep 225 pounds. If it happens at WrestleMania 31, I guarantee I will win. He’s not ready.

Oh no.

jmdajr

I literally stood next to Brock Lesnar guy and said nothing. What could I have said?

"OMG YOU'RE THE COOLEST FAN EVER!"

lol

I should have just said. "Hey man what's your story, how do you get to go to all these events? hook me up!"

DMczaf

Here's how this goes in my terrible wrestling mind:

Ellis goes, benches 225
Brock Lesnar Guy prepares to bench, falls down and claims back injury, but he's got a suitable replacement...

tldr; The black guy gets F5'd

In my mind, all stories end with "and then he gets F5'd."

Top Bottom