• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| The Spirit of the Ultimate Warrior Will Run Forever!

Holy shit EY is the champion!

ERIC YOUNG IS YOUR NEW TNA CHAMPION! HOLY SHIIIIIIT!

rmtfe0I.jpg

Alucard

Banned
Magnus' awful end has come to an end.

The timing of this EY win is pretty weird. I doubt TNA had him booked to become champ two weeks ago.

somedevil

Magnus' awful end has come to an end.

The timing of this EY win is pretty weird. I doubt TNA had him booked to become champ two weeks ago.

They watched WrestleMania XXX and then saw the rating Monday night Raw got after WrestleMania and then thought hey we have a short bearded guy lets give him the title.

edit: Also, him having an injury he got during the first match going into the title match. I wonder where they got that from?

Alucard

Banned
They watched WrestleMania XXX and then saw rating Monday night Raw got after WrestleMania and then thought hey we have a short bearded guy lets give him the title.

They built him up last week as well, so maybe they knew then, but yeah, this timing seems pretty strange. Ah well, I thought the 2-hour arc they did with EY tonight was pulled off well.

This wasn't the best show ever, but it was quite entertaining. EY's win set up a nice mini-Bryan story of a beloved bearded babyface going for the title. Mr. Anderson regained his charisma by changing his hair color, while Davey decided to make his hair as wacky as his facial expressions with a reddish-blonde mohawk. It's a shame they didn't really pay off the funny farm bit here, because it was the one letdown to an otherwise fantastic skit that was the best thing Anderson's done in TNA in a long time. AND THEN ERIC YOUNG BECAME TNA WORLD CHAMPION! This was a nice feel-good story show, and it's a week that really could use another one.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2014/04/tna-impact-4-10-14.html

Screens -

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/kpcgtcelfdn5lax6x4a5mhr5fc3nxazh

Did they even build up EY for a title reign?

No, but it's TNA so who gives a shit? They ruin the finish of every main event with screwjobs and ref bumps and they ended the show seconds after EY won so the win didn't even get time to sink in before the end of the show. Lame attempt at trying to recreate the Daniel Bryan story, but with none of the things that made that work.

Man, I want to commend TNA for not having a BS finish. That must have been difficult. But I seriously don't agree with EY getting the belt. Three weeks ago he was nothing more than a joke. Seems a little quick to have him beat the champion. Not mention Magnus now looks like the weakest guy on the planet. Part of me wonders if that was meant to be Joe's spot before he got hurt. That would have made so much more sense with the build.

dream

WWE is dropping the term PPV. From now on, the monthly Sunday shows are being called “Special events.”

that's just terrible. I know PPV doesn't work anymore but that's just terrible

geomon

If I were Samoa Joe I would pull a CM Punk and just not show up to work any more. This guy has been routinely fucked over for years. It's embarrassing at this point.

Holy shit EY is the champion!

I'd point out this is the same thing WWE did days ago

I'd point out they rip off yet another thing

I'd point out they rip off yet another thing in bad fashion

I'd point out this company won't last another decade (and even that time span is being generous)

But fuck it, none of that is new, none of that is news, and to be honest this was still apparently better booked than TNA Champ Chris Sabin

Edgeward

Oh I thought so, in all the tna hype posts in pasts weeks, I never saw anyone talking up EY so this seemed out of nowhere and it was.

Anyway, The US title should be defended only on main event because the network is only legally available in the US. Have Swagger win it and Cesaro win the IC and culminate in a unification match at a special event. That is my fantasy booking of the night

Alucard

Banned
It was cool to see EY holding the belt, but I agree that the quick ending to the show didn't allow things to really sink in. Definitely felt like a hot shot book to try to capture the attention that is surrounding D-Bry right now but having their own bearded dude win two matches in one night to become champ.

I'm happy for EY, but it came out of nowhere and didn't really have the proper build.

Also, fuck Magnus' stupid title reign, and fuck creative for burying his character so hard over the past 4 months. He almost needs to start from scratch at this point he's been so poorly booked.

A decent episode of Impact, but nothing you need to go out of your way to see. Catch the highlights on youtube when they become available.

I will say that I'm actually looking forward to hearing EY's promo after this, though. If anything, he can at least work the mic.

But fuck it, none of that is new, none of that is news, and to be honest this was still apparently better booked than TNA Champ Chris Sabin

Good lord, that was the worst TNA decision in a while. They had it setup absolutely perfect to have Roode with the belt going into BFG. Storm finally getting his revenge would have been a great year-long arc. But no, that was too obvious, and in TNA obvious is always bad apparently.

Oh wait, I'm thinking of the time they fucked up with Aries. It's bad that they've fucked up in the same way too many times for me to properly remember.

EDIT: Speaking of Aries, where the hell has he been? Did his deal expire or something?

Aww man... Why can't we have this moment? It's nice to see him get the belt . He's entertaining and he's been a good worker for a while now. that short match was better than Magnus vs Joe at lockdown. I know it's probably just to ride the "bearded small guy as underdog champion" that WWE has going on but hey, Eric Young is a fun guy that the crowd has liked for a long time and it's not the worst idea to put the belt on him.

Oh wait, I'm thinking of the time they fucked up with Aries. It's bad that they've fucked up in the same way too many times for me to properly remember.

EDIT: Speaking of Aries, where the hell has he been? Did his deal expire or something?
Oh man I'm never gonna forget how badly they botched Aries as champion. That was so dumb.

Good lord, that was the worst TNA decision in a while. They had it setup absolutely perfect to have Roode with the belt going into BFG. Storm finally getting his revenge would have been a great year-long arc. But no, that was too obvious, and in TNA obvious is always bad apparently.

The Chris Sabin one was still the worst.

A match where a person gets beat down in every way for over 15 minutes with almost no offense (a few punches count as offense), and wins the belt when a brawl distracts the ref and the person hits his opponent with a weapon. The definition of a fluke win.

And this guy was the face.

strobogo

Banned
How the fuck does Christian get so many concussions? Considering all the shit he's done over the years it's insane that in the last few he's been getting concussed as fuck. Are people just targeting him? Is it just because he's older?

He probably had way more than anyone realized back in the day and it all caught up to him. He's had a good career. I see no shame in him retiring.

Question about American culture.
If wrasslin is a redneck thing, then why are urban crowds so much better? Shouldn't rednecks be drunk and violent? If not chanting in harmony, at least freaking out or something.

Sunny has said it before, but not all wrestling fans are rednecks. However, all rednecks are wrestling fans. And while there are rednecks everywhere, metropolitan cities like NYC, Philly, LA, Chicago don't have a lot of rednecks. Those cities are usually made up of fans who have been on message boards for years and just want to yell shit and pop for dudes.

Nothing to do with anything, just wanted to say I was happy to see how good Stone Cold still looks at nearly 50. Guy has barely aged at all. Obviously the bald head means we don't see the hair loss or anything, but even with hat, guy looks vital and strong.

T Plus. Flag pole at FULL SALUTE OHHHH HELL YEAHHHH

Alucard

Banned
If they don't bury Young like they buried Sabin after his title victory, and if they give him legit mic time and actually allow him to hold the title for a significant amount of time, this could turn out to be a good thing for TNA. However, if he just ends up dropping it at Sacrifice or shortly thereafter, it will be a waste. Just like Aries was a waste. Just like RVD was a waste. And just like Sabin was a waste.

Man, it sucks to know that a lot of TNA guys I love will probably never get a WWE run simply by virtue of being employed by TNA. Only guys I see are guys who were names there in the past (Hardy and Bully namely). I want to see Roode get a shot. I like Roode.

Alucard

Banned
Bk6SkMmCAAE_RlI.jpg

The new face of TNA. Here's hoping they don't make his reign irrelevant within a month or two, and that they actually give him the ball for a good while. EY has talent. He just needs to be given a chance to show it.

IS THIS THE START OF THE CHRISTY HEMME BOOKING ERA?

'Nite, all. DDP Yoga time.

Edgeward

Bo had two good matches in a row. Unbolievable. Match was a little sloppy but understandable since JG hasnt had a tv match in forever and the unfamilairity with each other. Gabriel has a nice moveset, nothing too flippy and his kicks give a good sound. He should get rid of the low sweep though because that looked god awful

Also Bo holds on to both arms all the way on the double arm ddt, it looks like he gives no room for the guy to protect himself.

Top Bottom