• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| The Spirit of the Ultimate Warrior Will Run Forever!

Got the last episode of my Portland Wrestling set up on youtube, 13 (mostly) complete episodes from March to October, 1982 - 16 hours worth, in total, with time-stamps for all the matches & interviews;

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRXNS4kUX5Il_Fmj5geAw1MuuIsXQy5R6

There's lots of great stuff in there and I really enjoyed watching this set through. Got a good appreciation for guys I wasn't that familiar with previously, like Rip Oliver, David Schultz, Stan Stasiak and the Sawyers, plus, it was cool seeing Curt Hennig well before he was Mr. Perfect. Here's a quick list of stuff I'd recommend;

. 04/10 - Ric Flair (c) vs 'Hacksaw' Brett Sawyer - 2/3 falls for the world title
. 05/08 - Andre the Giant comes to Portland for a 2/3 falls handicap tag match!
. 05/15 - Curt Hennig gets a shot at Rip Oliver's title in a 2/3 falls match
. 07/03 - Curt Hennig vs Buddy Rose, Hack Sawyer & Rocky Johnson (c) vs Rip Oliver & Buddy Rose
. 08/21 - David Schultz vs Buddy Rose in a Steel Cage Match
. 09/25 - Rip Oliver vs Hack Sawyer in a 2/3 falls match, plus a great Buddy Rose video package
. 10/09 - Paul Ellering debuts against Stan 'The Man' Stasiak, plus a huge 2/3 falls 6-man tag

Ithil

This episode, I think. But it is kind of an inside joke (NXT breeds inside jokes), people don't actually hate him, but his character is of someone usually in denial about how much the fans hate him, so the always top notch NXT crowd plays along.

No dude, they really do hate him. Maybe not as much as they did, but this gimmick and heel turn started because they despised him when he was a face. Since he lost the belt he's lost much of his heat, mind.

i2BUgVm0KMFDc.gif

Will get a lot of use.

styl3s

According to Meltzer, Sting officially signed a deal with WWE. Television appearances are a part of the deal reportedly.
I feel like Meltzer has said this before.

God i hope it's true but is there even really a point to have Sting vs Undertaker? Assuming they go that route? The only reason people (including myself) wanted sting to come was that it makes you feel like Undertaker has a chance of losing and you could had this great promo of "Nobody in this company can beat me" and then blamo the kid starts doing the monologue and baaaaaaaaaaaa-nuh-nuh-nuh--nuh-nuh-nuh---nuh-nuh.

The only reason i am hyped now is that he will get his inevitable induction to the HOF and a dvd/blu-ray.

Sblargh

Banned
I feel like Meltzer has said this before.

God i hope it's true but is there even really a point to have Sting vs Undertaker? Assuming they go that route? The only reason people (including myself) wanted sting to come was that it makes you feel like Undertaker has a chance of losing and you could had this great promo of "Nobody in this company can beat me" and then blamo the kid starts doing the monologue and baaaaaaaaaaaa-nuh-nuh-nuh--nuh-nuh-nuh---nuh-nuh.

The only reason i am hyped now is that he will get his inevitable induction to the HOF and a dvd/blu-ray.

It's entirely possible they are hiring him for the sole purpose of inducting and then releasing a dvd/blu-ray.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
I MISSED EY GETTING THE BELT??????
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

First experience with someone who didn't almost completely shave their area....not a fan. I was also scolded for kissing ears. Eff last night
f90Vo.gif

EY EY EY EY EY EY EY EY EY EY EY EY

Hasney

I bet WCW really hated all that money they lost when Hogan formed the nWo with Nash and Hall.

If you can't see the difference in target demographics of the shows as the times have changed, I'm not sure what to say.

From all the stories that have come out from WCW as well, I'm not entirely sure they knew how much Hogan merch was selling before that. They seemed to only know the nWo shirt was selling because they sold out at one point, because when Nash asked how it was doing (because he wanted a cut like he got in WWF, natch), they couldn't find out. Instead of correct that, they decided to up his contract to keep him happy... Again.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Nagata being the man. Glad that Portland Wrestling stuff is out there now, it must feel nice to complete an exhibit in the eternal internet museum. That's a lot of stuff to watch.

If work is slow today, gonna watch like 5 hours of WCCW. I have this WCCW bug. Thank Zandig for the Network!

styl3s

It's entirely possible they are hiring him for the sole purpose of inducting and then releasing a dvd/blu-ray.
I would be ok with both of those things because at this point i don't even want Taker/Sting. Taker can barely move and yeah Sting isn't the most gifted guy in the ring these days but the guy can still go a while without getting gassed and can do more then 3 moves.

I just hope he gets a proper documentary.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone here even bother listening to the Chris Jericho show anymore? I checked my podcasts today and he's released like 20 recently, and it's like nobody cares. Anyone who DOES listen want to weigh in on how good or bad they are? I've been getting stuck in multiple hours of traffic every day this week so I've been getting light on podcasts, and felt like maybe checking in.

Glad that Portland Wrestling stuff is out there now, it must feel nice to complete an exhibit in the eternal internet museum. That's a lot of stuff to watch.

Just a very small slice of what's out there, this dude's channel has so much more;

https://www.youtube.com/user/LegitProWrestling/playlists?shelf_id=5&view=50&sort=dd

He doesn't upload full episodes, though, and I prefer to watch them complete, with cheesy 80's adverts and all :)

Vince McMahon said:
If work is slow today, gonna watch like 5 hours of WCCW. I have this WCCW bug. Thank Zandig for the Network!

I haven't watched much of the WCCW stuff yet, is it mostly in chronological order?

Sephzilla

Yeah, they can't. They can't turn him heel or the kiddies will stop buying things.

I bet WCW really hated all that money they lost when Hogan formed the nWo with Nash and Hall.

If you can't see the difference in target demographics of the shows as the times have changed, I'm not sure what to say.

From all the stories that have come out from WCW as well, I'm not entirely sure they knew how much Hogan merch was selling before that. They seemed to only know the nWo shirt was selling because they sold out at one point, because when Nash asked how it was doing (because he wanted a cut like he got in WWF, natch), they couldn't find out. Instead of correct that, they decided to up his contract to keep him happy... Again.

If Cena went heel I don't think merchandising would be impacted much, if at all. The kids would simply gravitate to the next biggest babyface and buy all of that person's merch. Which, in this case, would be Daniel Bryan.

God, the whole "Kids wont by merch anymore" myth regarding Heel Cena bugs me almost as much as the myth that Cena is a merchandise seller and not just a bi-product of the WWE merchandise machine.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Just a very small slice of what's out there, this dude's channel has so much more;

https://www.youtube.com/user/LegitProWrestling/playlists?shelf_id=5&view=50&sort=dd

He doesn't upload full episodes, though, and I prefer to watch them complete, with cheesy 80's adverts and all :)

I haven't watched much of the WCCW stuff yet, is it mostly in chronological order?

I really prefer the full episode format. It makes a HUGE difference to me. Even when watching old 80s Price is Right episodes, I gotta have those commercials.

WCCW stuff is in chronological order, some gaps though. So don't plan for a 20-episode marathon. Let me see if I can find a list of their actual content they have released.

Bleh I can't find a simple list. But it's all arranged by episode number which is chronological, and they have the dates so you know if you're missing things.

Ready to get mad at Bugsy McGraw even though he's a super cool dude. :/

Hasney

If Cena went heel I don't think merchandising would be impacted much, if at all. The kids would simply gravitate to the next biggest babyface and buy all of that person's merch. Which, in this case, would be Daniel Bryan.

God, the whole "Kids wont by merch anymore" myth regarding Heel Cena bugs me almost as much as the myth that Cena is a merchandise seller and not just a bi-product of the WWE merchandise machine.

I'm not even saying they wouldn't, but there's a clear belief in WWE. Either that or a worry that whoever fills his place might not be as committed to make-a-wish/media. I don't give a fuck what they would/wouldn't do, I just want entertaining TV.

Bayley is pretty endearing. She has the face of an Elementary school lunch lady though. Her getting all close to Khali is going to ignite the tumblrs ablaze. Bo Dallas is fucking dogshit. What a snoozer of a main event. They need to Eric Escobar him. Finally get called up to the main roster and then released after a few months.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
Daichi Hashimoto will go freelance for the time being - his trainer, Shinjiro Otani, thinks it's too soon for him, but has little doubt that he can rise to the top of the business. However, it seems his mother is insisting he go down this route, even though being a freelance wrestler in Japan is tough for someone so young, as she wants to see him as IWGP Heavyweight Champion like his father, Shinya Hashimoto.

He's only 21, so I hope New Japan do sign him up - let him spend a year or two as a young lion, working at the dojo, wrestling Komatsu & Tanaka, then send him out on a learning excursion and by the time he's 23-24, he should be ready to join the main roster.

Good luck to him. He's got some pretty big shoes to fill though but he's still pretty young.

Hasney

I swear someone in the office just said Alex Riley in a happy voice. Hopefully unrelated to the world-famous wrestling analyst, or I may have to hunt them down.

Browny

Banned
I swear someone in the office just said Alex Riley in a happy voice. Hopefully unrelated to the world-famous wrestling analyst, or I may have to hunt them down.

Let's hope they actually said Rachel instead of Alex - it's a long shot, but a much better outcome.

Edit: Could be this - the Wiki page is quite amusing (for a slow Friday afternoon):

OI5eYfi.png

Eric Young's epic run to winning the TNA World Heavyweight Title:

J0d9Zcr.jpg

Good luck to him. He's got some pretty big shoes to fill though but he's still pretty young.

He definitely has a lot to live up to, but age is on his side and I'm hopeful we'll see him in New Japan someday. He needs toughening up, though. He's had too many injuries for someone who's only been wrestling for a few years.

Vince McMahon said:
I really prefer the full episode format. It makes a HUGE difference to me. Even when watching old 80s Price is Right episodes, I gotta have those commercials.

Yeah, especially with territory wrestling, I find that all the extra stuff outside of matches and interviews helps give you a good idea of what the territory was like. Portland, for instance, had a very local feel, with their long-time sponsor having spots on the show itself occasionally. It wasn't quite as polished as many of the other TV products, but had real charm and a good fanbase. I really liked the commentator, too, Frank Bonnema - he wasn't exceptional at calling the action or anything, but reacted well and was the voice of Portland wrestling for 15 years. The last couple of episodes on the set I have are a bummer, as Frank had a heart attack on the morning of the first, then passed away a couple of days before the second.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, especially with territory wrestling, I find that all the extra stuff outside of matches and interviews helps give you a good idea of what the territory was like. Portland, for instance, had a very local feel, with their long-time sponsor having spots on the show itself occasionally. It wasn't quite as polished as many of the other TV products, but had real charm and a good fanbase. I really liked the commentator, too, Frank Bonnema - he wasn't exceptional at calling the action or anything, but reacted well and was the voice of Portland wrestling for 15 years. The last couple of episodes on the set I have are a bummer, as Frank had a heart attack on the morning of the first, then passed away a couple of days before the second.

Man, that is a bummer. It's amazing that there were so many territories with their own feel - you can jump in to any one and get a definite, distinct feel for what it was all about and they were all unique enough that there was something special in almost every area. It had to be, or they couldn't do business. Good shit.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
He looks like...a thousand years old.
Bk6SkMmCAAE_RlI.jpg

And not a one in one thousand years type. Just older than dicks.

I saw a great quote about TNA today, went something like; "They want to have the 'big', epic moments that shock the crowd and get everyone talking, but they're never committed enough to put the work in" which about sums it up for me.

Perhaps this was Christy Hemme's first decision as a member of the creative team?

Vince McMahon said:
Man, that is a bummer. It's amazing that there were so many territories with their own feel - you can jump in to any one and get a definite, distinct feel for what it was all about and they were all unique enough that there was something special in almost every area. It had to be, or they couldn't do business. Good shit.

I think that variety must have played a part in there being so many talented guys back then - once someone finished up in one territory, they'd get booked in another and then have to adapt to that territory's style, working with a whole bunch of new talents, etc, which could only help in making them a more complete wrestler. Also, it makes for great viewing nowadays, when we have the advantage of so much of this stuff being so readily available - man, I cannot wait for the Network to fill up with old-school content.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
He looks like the janitor working late that will try to fuck you if you're the last one out. Run run run.

I think it is the mouth though...that weird look. Beard like a brillo pad, receding hairline...alright I'll stop now.

For those who are psyched about him being the World Heavyweight Champion - why? Explain to me what the appeal is.

Kaladin

For those who are psyched about him being the World Heavyweight Champion - why? Explain to me what the appeal is.

While I'm not psyched I can explain the appeal. Eric Young is a long term player with TNA and he's the company's go to guy if they need someone to do something stupid like wear a dumb turkey outfit or be Women's Tag Team Champion with ODB but never defend the belts....that kind of thing. He's never really been more than comic relief, but he's a TNA original and has been with the company since Team Canada back in 04/05.

Seriously....they've had him do some stupid shit.

698px-Eric_Young_mannequin.jpg

So, in a way, he deserves a title run.

Aiii

So not worth it
Wait, he's small, he has a beard and he beat the corporate champion?!!!

LOL, seriously, you can't book this stuff any worse than TNA is. Anyone who doesn't believe Russo is booking TNA right now can shove it, I bet the return match is a title belt on a pole match.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
For those of you who aren't aware, this is (I believe) the 3rd year memorial for Larry Sweeney.

I'll save the other stuff for Twitter and such, but if you'd like to donate in his name, here are some options below.

http://afsp.donordrive.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.participant&participantID=545465

https://secure2.convio.net/thresh/s...&1400.donation=form1&df_id=1400&idb=395591936

Yknow, I do want to. I liked Sweeney a lot, and the condition he suffered from was too much for him. I don't want people to hurt. I want there to be a light in the darkness.

strobogo

Banned
Does anyone here even bother listening to the Chris Jericho show anymore? I checked my podcasts today and he's released like 20 recently, and it's like nobody cares. Anyone who DOES listen want to weigh in on how good or bad they are? I've been getting stuck in multiple hours of traffic every day this week so I've been getting light on podcasts, and felt like maybe checking in.

I think it is terrible, 100% because Jericho sounds completely phoney at all times. He's got his morning zoo DJ voice on and clearly thinks he's the coolest dude in the world. I can't stand to listen to him. He comes off as such a tool. I dropped his and JR's and I'm sticking with just Austin for wrestling podcasts. I might give Piper's a chance, but I know he's going to be super serious all the time and turn every story into his story.

jmdajr

I don't have a problem with Jericho's podcast, but everyone's annoyance tolerance level is different.

Today he interviewed Dave Mustaine which made me think he's like the Ultimate Warrior of Heavy Metal. Fans hate a lot of the shit he has to say...but RUST IN PEACE!

So yeah I listen to Austin,Jericho, and JR and it's all based on the guest. If you like metal Jericho has some good guests on there.

Top Bottom