• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| The Spirit of the Ultimate Warrior Will Run Forever!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I think it is terrible, 100% because Jericho sounds completely phoney at all times. He's got his morning zoo DJ voice on and clearly thinks he's the coolest dude in the world. I can't stand to listen to him. He comes off as such a tool. I dropped his and JR's and I'm sticking with just Austin for wrestling podcasts. I might give Piper's a chance, but I know he's going to be super serious all the time and turn every story into his story.

Did you listen to Michael Juicy PS Hayes on SCSA? If so, what did you think?

mrboo001

Banned
I know this is late but:

Alright so:

If you had to make your Wrestling Mount Rushmore, who would the four be?

I gotta think about it for a bit.

Hmm... this is fun. The way I did my list was instead of just being most important/popular, was to look to parallels with the actual Rushmore. It has:

Washington: Founder of the Nation. None of the USA would exist as we know it without him. A Stalwart but a Rebel too. Could have been King but refused the crown.
Jefferson: Overseer of Expansion and settling the foundations. Helped the USA look beyond the initial 13 Colonies with the Louisiana Purchase. He was also a noted intellect.
T. Roosevelt: The Cowboy from New York City. Noted for success with the Spanish War, the founding of the nation's first National Park and initiated the construction of the Panama Canal. He is considered the first of the Modern Presidents and one of the first to bring American Power beyond its borders. Also no sold getting shot in the chest during a speech. These days overshadowed by FDR.
Lincoln: The GOAT President. Oversaw his Union almost break apart but brought it from the brink. Ended slavery.

Oh, and it was built 1925. So for the sake of this list, I'll put a limit to the early 90s. Based on that, and my little knowledge of wrestling history, here is my attempt:

Gorgeous George: The source of inspiration for many of the biggest wrestlers, like Hulk Hogan. In his day, most wrestlers where still circus strong men. George introduced theatre into the business.
Ric Flair: He was one of the wrestlers to take what George started and pretty much perfected it as the Nature Boy. Also a founder of one of the most important stables, the Four Horsemen.
Jake The Snake Roberts: You would think Stone Cold Steve Austin would fit better as the first “Modern” Professional Wrestler, but I see Austin more like FDR (and thus the Monday Night War as wrestling’s WWII). He was one of the first wrestlers to bring psychology into the mix, both in and out of the ring.
Bret The Hitman Heart. I had a hard time thinking of any wrestler who’s achievements would translate to what Lincoln did for his country, so I just pick who I thought was the greatest of all time. While I considered Savage and Hogan for the spot, I believe they are represented well by George.

I decide to keep the talent separate from the promoters, because honestly I think there’s enough to do so. I know Vince McMahon, Paul Hayman and Stu Heart could be three contenders but I don’t know enough about wrestling history to make a list about it.

I’m not all that confident about the selections, but I am wondering who you guys would pick with the above in mind.

Laserfrog

Soon podcastone will only have wrestling podcasts, they'll have hundreds of them. Twelve of them will be hosted by the Miz. They'll have constant rotating guests, one week the honkey tonk man will be on Bo's podcast, the next week he'll be on Dean Malenko's, and it'll go on and on until the end times.

jmdajr

Soon podcastone will only have wrestling podcasts, they'll have hundreds of them. Twelve of them will be hosted by the Miz. They'll have constant rotating guests, one week the honkey tonk man will be on Bo's podcast, the next week he'll be on Dean Malenko's, and it'll go on and on until the end times.

Warrior should have had one :( It be worth it.

strobogo

Banned
Did you listen to Michael Juicy PS Hayes on SCSA? If so, what did you think?

No. I'm behind on Austin's stuff and podcasts in general. I have no desire to listen to Hayes being interviewed. I don't want to listen to that voice for 45 minutes, and hear that voice talk himself up like one of the greats.

jmdajr

No. I'm behind on Austin's stuff and podcasts in general. I have no desire to listen to Hayes being interviewed. I don't want to listen to that voice for 45 minutes, and hear that voice talk himself up like one of the greats.

What if he sings though? That be great!

Hasney

Rachel Riley chat on WrassleGAF!

RkQwad5.jpg

You can never go wrong with Rachel.

Also, that Alex Riley (comedian) is from around where I am right now, so it could be them. That's a relief.

jmdajr

So the word is that Vickie Guerrero is done. Wonder what she will do to keep paying them gimmicks in the mail called bills. Think Vince will still help out?

jred2k

So the word is that Vickie Guerrero is done. Wonder what she will do to keep paying them gimmicks in the mail called bills. Think Vince will still help out?

I remember reading a while ago that she was in school or something. It seems like a lot of people, post-wrestling, go into real estate or insurance.

Sblargh

Banned
I feel like WWE knows who is all of Meltzer's sources and it got to the point where every leak is a controled one. So basically, he has become a source for whatever information or misinformation WWE wants out there.

If he is not directly on the payroll, which is a bit conspiracy, but why not? Every site gets its rumors from this one guy and every site reports it as is. It even seems like a wasted opportunity not to manipulate him.

Man Jericho's podcast is shit for the most part. At this point I will only listen if it is a decent guest. I'm finding I don't like JR's podcast either. He just comes off insufferable and pretty condescending.

Austin's is gold. Hell I even enjoy his solo casts.

About the only wrestling podacasts I listen to now are Austin's, and most of the MLW stuff (even Cornette's).

I feel like WWE knows who is all of Meltzer's sources and it got to the point where every leak is a controled one. So basically, he has become a source for whatever information or misinformation WWE wants out there.

If he is not directly on the payroll, which is a bit conspiracy, but why not? Every site gets its rumors from this one guy and every site reports it as is. It even seems like a wasted opportunity not to manipulate him.

That's TMZ , they seem to get "leaks" before everyone else

Rapstah

What you're describing does happen, but at some point they realised that basically everyone is in contact with Meltzer anyway so they started working their own people for the biggest secrets. I'm okay with that.

somedevil

Man, I read some on TNA spoilers for Next week and this from Kurt Angle just sounds bad:

Angle cut a promo and said he's back. Angle says he's not done until he's taken out on a stretcher or put in a body bag.

So he basically confirms everyone fear and the reason why WWE released him in 2006 in this one promo.

edit: Another great review-an Impact from the guys. TNA is in just a bad funk again its creating great podcasts.

jmdajr

Today is the big day for D. Bry.

Wonder who his wedding party will be.

Will Cena crash the wedding?
Will Punk be there?
Will they be serving any kind of meat?
Will D. Bry wash his beard?
Will Nikki be jealous?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
When it comes to the best podcaster in the wrasslin' business it is by far John Pollock who never gets on my nerves, always puts out TONS of content and keeps things professional. I love that guy, and probably will never get sick of him.

Even when he was arguing with a VERY angry Wai Ting about the whole TNA sexual harassment stuff. Wai was wrong for that!

jmdajr

Does he have any sort of streak at Bound for Glory or something like that he can grasp on to? He's more painkiller than human at this point.

Needs to get on the phone with HHH and save whatever is left of his body to have at least a serviceable retirement match. Hopefully with Cena to come full circle.

But heck, at this point I hope he lives to be around for his HOF speech. I won't be shocked if Angel checks out early.

Wait, he's small, he has a beard and he beat the corporate champion?!!!

LOL, seriously, you can't book this stuff any worse than TNA is. Anyone who doesn't believe Russo is booking TNA right now can shove it, I bet the return match is a title belt on a pole match.
...SMH TNA. Y'all don't HAVE to rip off WWE like that...

Needs to get on the phone with HHH and save whatever is left of his body to have at least a serviceable retirement match. Hopefully with Cena to come full circle.

But heck, at this point I hope he lives to be around for his HOF speech. I won't be shocked if Angel checks out early.
Vince aint burying the hatchet with him to let him in.

Rapstah

I don't know why, but I get the feeling people in positions of power in WWE hate Kurt Angle way more than they collectively hated Warrior.

kiguel182

Angle doesn't look that bad, what are his injuries? I always hear is pretth banged up but I never now why.

Also, he has problems with Vince? What happened?

jmdajr

I don't know why, but I get the feeling people in positions of power in WWE hate Kurt Angle way more than they collectively hated Warrior.

When can I buy the Self-Destruction of Kurt Angel?

Didn't the dude leave because WWE didn't want to be held responsible for his death? I'm pretty sure yes. If anything they should feel sorry for him.

jred2k

Angle doesn't look that bad, what are his injuries? I always hear is pretth banged up but I never now why.

kurt-angle-wheelchair.jpg

Dude has need surgery for months and instead of that he's been going out and doing moonsaults off of cages in front of <1000 people.

When can I buy the Self-Destruction of Kurt Angel?

Didn't the dude leave because WWE didn't want to be held responsible for his death? I'm pretty sure yes. If anything they should feel sorry for him.

I think I remember it as them wanting to go to rehab(which they would pay for), but he refused. Someone here can probably give more details than I, though.

Hasney

Wait, does this mean Kurt has re-signed at a possibly lower salary? Or was he one of the guys who didn't have a contract coming up? If the former, wow.

Browny

Banned

Angle's just had surgery on his knee. He's also had his well-documented neck problems. Couple that with drug issues (supposedly painkillers) and some drinking problems (probably as a result of watching WCW 2000), he's not 100% at all.

He left WWE to rest and heal up, and signed with TNA a couple of weeks later. Can't imagine Vince was too impressed by that...

jmdajr

Kurt is a pretty intense dude just like Warrior. I know he has trash talked a lot of WWE dudes saying they were not legitimate tough guys. He's gonna pay the price one day a lot more than these guys that weren't really so called "tough."

Rapstah

Was Kurt Angle fired because he wanted to take time off to heal and they wouldn't let him or because they wanted him to take time off and he didn't want to?

jmdajr

Was Kurt Angle fired because he wanted to take time off to heal and they wouldn't let him or because they wanted him to take time off and he didn't want to?

Kurts wikki says

Angle stated in the Kurt Angle: Champion documentary DVD that he asked for his release from WWE because he couldn't take time off and was working hurt, severely on some occasions. He also states that when he quit, WWE lost their very top talent, as he was at the very top of the payroll

So that's his side of the story. But a lot of what I read was that he was completely out of control and was going to become a liability.

Browny

Banned

Depends on who you believe...I've just been reading up on an Observer column on just that subject:

WO archived column

If we thought Cena would have trouble hanging up his boots...

jmdajr

First of all, let’s start with the obvious here. Kurt Angle was not fired from WWE because Vince McMahon was tired of him, and they didn’t have anything left for him to do. They fired him because his physical and mental condition had gotten so bad that he was becoming a danger to himself, and to his fellow wrestlers. They fired him for a very good reason, and TNA apparently didn’t care about any of that. At least it wouldn’t appear so.

Vince McMahon didn’t fire him for any reason. There was a perfectly valid reason, and it was to protect Kurt’s health and well being, and hopefully motivate him to get the help he needed. And of course it was also to cover their own asses if something happened to Kurt, or someone he was in the ring with. Let’s not forget that part of it. But Vince made a decision that hurt his company. Losing Kurt Angle certainly didn’t benefit WWE in any way, and even less now than Angle joined with their closest competition in the wrestling business. I’m sure they knew it was a possibility Angle would sign with TNA. And they still fired him. That tells you how bad things really were and are. The problems are not going to go away because Kurt works for a different company now.

Yup more or less what I recall

Cena could never make a living as a salesman... It's been incredibly frustrating to watch over the years. Curious how that Raw tribute to Warrior will play out.

Angle... Man, he needs to retire, even working for WWE with a limited schedule would probably be better for him at this point than working for TNA at all. It's crazy to think that he's now worked for TNA longer than he did for WWE and yet it was WWE that footed the bill from their policy when it finally went to rehab that they wanted him to get into back in 2006 for his problems.

On another note, I finally decided to get out of the mid-2000s and dumped AT&T as my ISP and made the final call Charter's yesterday. They were surprisingly responsive and had someone come out a few hours later, didn't expect to get someone until maybe Monday. The guy ended up redoing pretty much everything outside because it wasn't up to day with their current standards, nice to not have a cable line running on my roof anymore due to the original cable company's poor planning/laziness. I was expecting to have the still advertised 30/4 speeds for a couple months but after I ran a speed test I found my area already had Charter's download speed upgrade to 60Mbps. It hasn't been 24 hours yet so who knows, something might go to shit but so far it's been nice and best of all I'm paying the same goddamn price a month with the promo as I was with AT&T and their promo, after that runs out it's still going to be the same damn price as AT&T would be without promo pricing which actually I have managed over the years to generally retain due to threats of cancelling, time will tell if Charter will be that willing but I'll concern myself with that next year. It's nice to watch 1080p video streams without pauses and GIF filled GAF topics where they're all loaded before I see them.

3430473822.png

To:
3432408450.png

Still might not be the fastest consumer internet in the country but it's still leaps and bounds better than what I had before.

Browny

Banned
I remember when he left WWE, they quoted it as "he asked for his release"... The firing does change the perception of the entire story. Hope he calms the heck down...

Dammit, New Page:

Angle's back, three weeks after surgery?
CAspqq1.gif

Top Bottom