• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| The Spirit of the Ultimate Warrior Will Run Forever!

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
If Cena went heel I don't think merchandising would be impacted much, if at all. The kids would simply gravitate to the next biggest babyface and buy all of that person's merch. Which, in this case, would be Daniel Bryan.

God, the whole "Kids wont by merch anymore" myth regarding Heel Cena bugs me almost as much as the myth that Cena is a merchandise seller and not just a bi-product of the WWE merchandise machine.

I really wonder how true it is, enough to offset the box office draw and PPV rates that say, heel Cena vs Bryan or especially Punk would make?
I've just not witnessed any organization just outright ignore how much their average fans hate this guy, especially when they pride themselves on being so dialed in on SCSA and Mankind back in the day. Hogan in the early and mid 90s was just tired, and it didn't help that he's feuding with Kevin Sullivan's gang of rejects. Cena is reviled. You don't get that many boos from just a bunch of smarks at shows.

Sephzilla

I didn't know Oculus was a WWE studio film. 70% on rotten tomatoes.

Recent trends seem to indicate that their better movies are the ones that don't make it plainly obvious its a WWE movie.

I really wonder how true it is, enough to offset the box office draw and PPV rates that say, heel Cena vs Bryan or especially Punk would make?
I've just not witnessed any organization just outright ignore how much their average fans hate this guy, especially when they pride themselves on being so dialed in on SCSA and Mankind back in the day. Hogan in the early and mid 90s was just tired, and it didn't help that he's feuding with Kevin Sullivan's gang of rejects. Cena is reviled. You don't get that many boos from just a bunch of smarks at shows.

Honestly, I don't even think Hogan near the end of his first WWF run or his pre-nWo WCW run got so many boos as Cena seemingly gets weekly now. I'm willing to bet HHH would turn Cena heel, but Vince is probably nixing it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Gordy and Terry Funk were way better feuds for Brody than Blackjack. Blackjack threw the wimpiest looking punches for a guy who I was supposed to buy as a badass.
Don't go into any showers with Bean Breath
I'd rather be stabbed than talked to about TNA, that's for sure.

Terrabyte20xx

Junior Wrestlemania XXX Champion
Honestly, I don't even think Hogan near the end of his first WWF run or his pre-nWo WCW run got so many boos as Cena seemingly gets weekly now. I'm willing to bet HHH would turn Cena heel, but Vince is probably nixing it.

You're probably right.

Honestly, looking at the complexion of the WWE right now, for good, or for bad, it's the same as 2000 WCW... Except that the Young guys actually ARE getting pushed.

The belief seems to be that Angle couldn't even come close to passing WWE's physical, so the odds of him having one last match are slim to none. Maybe a RR appearance, but I'm not sure if those are subject to the same physical.

jmdajr

I wish Miz was in it so we would have some Miz death gifs.

hhgif_zps46a1840a.gif

Sephzilla

You're probably right.

Honestly, looking at the complexion of the WWE right now, for good, or for bad, it's the same as 2000 WCW... Except that the Young guys actually ARE getting pushed.

I don't know if I'd go that far.

WWE right now actually kind of reminds me of that transitional period between Hogan & New Generation. The big difference at this point is that creative is actually trying to move on and push newer talent while the Cena character still seems to linger.

The belief seems to be that Angle couldn't even come close to passing WWE's physical, so the odds of him having one last match are slim to none. Maybe a RR appearance, but I'm not sure if those are subject to the same physical.

I think Hogan has a better chance of passing a WWE physical than Angle does right now. I think WWE is going to keep their distance from him, because I think Angle might legitimately die in the middle of the ring on national TV.

galvatron

He didn't...

At WM XXX, the "let's go Cena" was all in high pitched voices while the "Cena Sucks" sounded like a normal crowd chant.

I suspect Cena matches are like F2P games: a very small percentage of people who watch are providing most of the profits. When I saw a little boy at a Raw show walk up to a merch stand and buy 2 foam Cena hands for $40 total and walk away happy I finally started to understand why they haven't turned him.

Also, saw Kurt Angle as I was leaving Wrestlecon which was going on the same time as Axxess. He was hunched over with a dude ushering him in with a robe over him, which I chalked up to trying to sneak in to do his signings, but he might not have been well. He didn't look so great, but I was mainly thinking that it was just too much tanning.

I was shocked that the XXX thread was having my favorite discussion about Brain's call of Hogan being the third man.

I've always loved it. He hates Hogan and always thinks the worst of him. Why wouldn't he finally show his true stripes and be the third man?

That was pretty much the night Heenan got vindication for everything he ever said about Hogan and really, faces in general.

So goddamn good. Heenan immediately thought the worst of Hogan (just like normal), Dusty blew him off (just like everyone did) until HE WAS RIGHT. For once. In like 10 years.

That shit doesn't make it worse, it makes it one of the best moments ever because it totally justified Heenan for hating Hogan for years, because deep deep down, #HeenanWasRight

And also if Heenan was rah-rah Hogan that would've been terrible

Sblargh

Banned
Cena already is a heel.

I kind of feel that they are trying this experiment where he is a face to kids and a heel to smarks.

Apparently his feud with the Wyatts is going into Extreme Rules, so it's not like the face won clean and that ended the feud; it could be they are building an eventual Bray victory to make us happy, but they will sell it in a way that doesn't upset the kids.

Or maybe I'm giving creative too much credit.

Sephzilla

I kind of feel that they are trying this experiment where he is a face to kids and a heel to smarks.

Apparently his feud with the Wyatts is going into Extreme Rules, so it's not like the face won clean and that ended the feud; it could be they are building an eventual Bray victory to make us happy, but they will sell it in a way that doesn't upset the kids.

Or maybe I'm giving creative too much credit.

Cena wins at Wrestlemania but heel goes over at the much smaller PPV seems like pretty standard WWE fare to me.

He didn't...

At WM XXX, the "let's go Cena" was all in high pitched voices while the "Cena Sucks" sounded like a normal crowd chant.

I suspect Cena matches are like F2P games: a very small percentage of people who watch are providing most of the profits. When I saw a little boy at a Raw show walk up to a merch stand and buy 2 foam Cena hands for $40 total and walk away happy I finally started to understand why they haven't turned him.

This really seems to be it. For all the people that love guys like Bryan and the Shield, that demographic won't buy hats and t-shirts and armbands and DVDs. Cena's demographic may be smaller, but they are buying considerably more than anyone else.

Sephzilla

This really seems to be it. For all the people that love guys like Bryan and the Shield, that demographic won't buy hats and t-shirts and armbands and DVDs. Cena's demographic may be smaller, but they are buying considerably more than anyone else.

But they're kids... and it's not exactly hard to sway the interest of kids. Turn Cena heel, replace him with another big baby face, force all of those parents to shell out more money for the kids new favorite toys.

Is the new generation but if hogan never left

Yeah

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Kids will eventually find a new favorite. The reason Cena got cheers for so long was that there wasn't a lot of options for other faces. Who else were you gonna cheer for?

Now they have Shields, Daniel Bryans, Sami Zayns eventually, Big Es, Usos, Cesaros. Lots of other options for them to cheer. And they'll want to have a new favorite in this new era of stars.

And Cena will fade away. And fuck off with his gatekeeeper bullshit.
Bald Karen Gillan is still beautiful.

I want Serena back...

They're talking to her.

I actually just finished it and with a bit of tweaks I really like how it controls.

Some odd button choices given what you have to work with (and why they didn't go back to regular MGS3 camera as an option for people, I'll never know.

Some of it is gorgeous and all of the real heavy framerate problems are in certain non action scenes. The only fight where it stutters is during The Fury.

It is a damn shame that they half assed it and instead of doing the whole game in the style of the demo they just changed some textures here and there and added crouching and yoshi's. Then even worse the game is delayed and a very good port of three games comes out at the same price.

It should've been the best port, I love 4/PW controls, but I didn't feel they were tuned properly in MGS3D

The framerate was even worse than PW on PSP, it's really distracting to me (especially during cutscenes), and I'm far from being a framerate whore.

MGS3D could've been a great alternative way to experience 3, but they completely half-assed it sadly.

Sblargh

Banned

I wonder if kids are getting their parents who aren't into wrestling to subscribe to the network. I imagine not, and if not, that means that the "Cena sucks" crowd are the ones they need to lure so the Network won't bankrupt; which, in turn, could explain that suddenly WWE is worried about (and being highly succesful at this WM) making the people that love guys like Bryan and the Shield happy.

Sephzilla

So my girlfriend was curious about the different "eras" of wrestling and when they occur. I just thought I'd confer with WrassleGAF on this to see if I'm right.

80s-91ish = Hogan Era
91-95 = New Generation Era
96-2001 = Attitude Era
2002-2005 = Ruthless Aggression Era
2006-2013 = PG Era
2014-Present = Reality Era

(are we actually going to go with HHH on this and consider this a new era?)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So my girlfriend was curious about the different "eras" of wrestling and when they occur. I just thought I'd confer with WrassleGAF on this to see if I'm right.

80s-91ish = Hogan Era
96-2001 = Attitude Era
2006-2013 = PG Era

70s - 85 is more Territories era. 85-91 is Golden Era.
I
Well, why do kids love Superman?

Because Superman often has to find ways to solve his problems that his super human abilities can't solve. Cena just beats his problems and wins.

Here's another Khali photo from his twitter provided with zero context, as per usual;

YuJy7GE.jpg

Also, watched NXT - was it just me, or was Bayley vs Sasha the best match on the show this week? Also, MOJO RAWLEY SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKS. So much. I mean, sure, he's hype. But that's it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It should've been the best port, I love 4/PW controls, but I didn't feel they were tuned properly in MGS3D

The framerate was even worse than PW on PSP, it's really distracting to me (especially during cutscenes), and I'm far from being a framerate whore.

MGS3D could've been a great alternative way to experience 3, but they completely half-assed it sadly.

It is sad. I eventually came to like it for what it was but having a version of one of my favorite games being shelved for almost exactly two years despite being on a system I play nearly every day is fairly telling. It's flawed as hell and it's a shame.

80s-91ish = Hogan Era
96-2001 = Attitude Era
2006-2013 = PG Era

PG didn't technically start until the summer of 09.

Here's another Khali photo from his twitter provided with zero context, as per usual;

YuJy7GE.jpg

Also, watched NXT - was it just me, or was Bayley vs Sasha the best match on the show this week? Also, MOJO RAWLEY SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKS. So much. I mean, sure, he's hype. But that's it.

IMAGINE EATER?!

If I had my way Mojo Rawley would be shipped off to OVW

Sephzilla

Maybe. The women's matches have been kind of stealing the show the last couple of weeks, not to say that the men's matches haven't been good either.

Also, I'm not sure I'm a fan of Sasha. She incorporates hair pulling and screaming into her arsenal a bit too much. Reminds me of a borderline Johnny Ace hire.

Because Superman often has to find ways to solve his problems that his super human abilities can't solve. Cena just beats his problems and wins.

I don't know about that. A lot of kids just like Superman because "he's big and strong and does cool stuff to stop the bad guys". That's basically Cena, minus the cool stuff.

jmdajr

80s-91ish = Hogan Era
96-2001 = Attitude Era
2006-2013 = PG Era

Seems reasonable. No doubt we are in a new era, although some might argue Punk started the Reality Era. But we are full steam ahead into it.

Sephzilla

Seems reasonable. No doubt we are in a new era, although some might argue Punk started the Reality Era. But we are full steam ahead into it.

Yeah, Punk may have started it. In my mind though WM30 feels like the real birth of a new era, assuming the momentum from WM keeps up.

Punk didn't start shit, he's the Linkin Park of pro wrestling~! :p
WM30 really felt like a new era start to me. Streak ending and the absolutely superhuman push Bryan got

slit

So now that Sting has reportedly signed with WWE, I think it would be best to insert him with the Shield since from a gimmick perspective it makes the most sense. Sting vs Triple H at Summerslam might be a decent match.

I hadn't looked at pictures of Bruiser Brody for a long time until Colon got into the Hall of Fame and we started talking about him.

Bruiser Brody is basically Fandango with long hair and a beard and always looking like he just saw the Undertaker's streak get broken.

gurudyne

Cena wins at Wrestlemania but heel goes over at the much smaller PPV seems like pretty standard WWE fare to me.

Learning from the King of Kings. Lose to Brock at Summerslam and Extreme Rules and beat him at Wrestlemania after making him cry five minutes into the match. By the way, through the transitive property of inequalities, that makes HHH greater than the Streak. #KingofKings #CerebralMathematician #WM31MainEventBrockHHH2KingOfTheMountainGreatestNightInTheHistoryOfOurSport

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I hadn't looked at pictures of Bruiser Brody for a long time until Colon got into the Hall of Fame and we started talking about him.

Bruiser Brody is basically Fandango with long hair and a beard and always looking like he just saw the Undertaker's streak get broken.

ifU8s1jJLHGCx.gif

Top Bottom