• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| The Spirit of the Ultimate Warrior Will Run Forever!

strobogo

Banned
Luger obviously turned face by shoving Heenan on the Intrepid!

So random. All of it. It doesn't even make sense. They had Bret Hart right there. Instead, they had him sidelined with the garbage with King. The ONLY main event level heel they had left was Yoko.

Let me break down how I saw the 1993 roster before Razor and Lex turned. I wish I could fucking remember how to make a proper spread sheet. I only did it 16 hours a day for a year straight and now I feel like I've never used Excel or equivalent.

Thorakai

Also, here is Cena's burying speech about how he's better than everyone else and you gotta go through him to be the top guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn6bcouRP5A

Damn, couldn't get far at all. I can't stand when he shamelessly promotes events/crappy wrasslers and acts like a mark. I was also not a fan of the smarky feuds where you have the opponent criticizes John Cena for staying past his expiration date and going all meta with how wrestlers are booked, but then Cena responds in a kayfabe manner and declares he is at the top because he wins all his matches and no one is good enough to topple him. They should just keep storylines kayfabe and stop trying to mix the smark/mark stuff, inevitably the guy spouting smark sentiments comes off as an idiot because Cena can just say IWIN LOL.

Carnby

I was looking at my account with my Internet Service Provider, and found this graph informing me of my usage.

lol. Do you think WWE network has anything to do with this?

Damn, couldn't get far at all. I can't stand when he shamelessly promotes events/crappy wrasslers and acts like a mark. I was also not a fan of the smarky feuds where you have the opponent criticizes John Cena for staying past his expiration date and going all meta with how wrestlers are booked, but then Cena responds in a kayfabe manner and declares he is at the top because he wins all his matches and no one is good enough to topple him. They should just keep storylines kayfabe and stop trying to mix the smark/mark stuff, inevitably the guy spouting smark sentiments comes off as an idiot because Cena can just say IWIN LOL.

What do you expect him to say? "Well kids, I just don't have it anymore". He's not done, so him going out and cutting a promo saying as much would be stupid. He didn't "bury" anyone.

Raw64life

Was helping my dad move his wrestling collection and found his old diary. The guy who is obsessed with Lou Thesz on here would appreciate the first page of it.

ib1EqWSL1B3Mva.JPG

I should probably take some pics of my dad's collection at some point. It's pretty boss.

Carnby

Was helping my dad move his wrestling collection and found his old diary. The guy who is obsessed with Lou Thesz on here would appreciate the first page of it.

ib1EqWSL1B3Mva.JPG

I should probably take some pics of my dad's collection at some point. It's pretty boss.

This is cool. You should post picture's of your dad's collection. I've been meaning to suggest that we all do that. I have a few rare and/or funny wrestling items.

strobogo

Banned
So it's 1993 and you only have one main event heel and one main event face. Yoko and Bret. Undertaker was already in his own universe. You have 4 upper mid card heels (Razor, Lex, Bam Bam, HBK) and 3 upper mid card faces (Crush, Tatanka, Mr. Perfect).

Who the fuck do you turn and why? I think it was a bad idea to turn Razor and Lex at the same time. Both were better as heels to begin with, and both turns came pretty out of the blue with no foreshadowing of any kind. They turned face, but no one turned heel and no one was being elevated into their position. So now you had a surplus of upper mid card faces, lack of upper card heels, and still only 2 real main eventers in Bret and Yoko. Except Bret was kept off in his own universe with King, so he was out of the picture. Almost everyone from the 80s was gone or leaving besides the guys already mentioned. That roster was in DIRE straights. So what would you do?

I would definitely not have turned Razor face as early as they did. I think they could have kept the thing with he and Kid going. But pretty much all of the options that don't involve Bret, HBK, Razor, Owen, and Kid suck.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Doubt there was long term booking at that point, but I know X-Pac said the office was saying Owen was gonna be THE heel in 1994, so maybe they were waiting that out.

i'm giving them too much credit.

Sblargh

Banned
I just noticed Cena and Bo have the same gimmick.

Btw, I'm in the mood for some ECW for some weird reason. Recommend me an ECW PPV that is not Barely Legal '97

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
If you ever want to know how bad the 1993 roster is in one quick swoop? Watch the 1993 Royal Rumble. It's completely full of, 'wait, he's still here? wait, i thought he quit. wait who is that i don't think he's even been on tv. wait that guy's from the other company i thought? I THOUGHT THAT GUY WAS DEAD. TENRYU!??! EARHTQUAKE?!?!'

Random Paige question.

She ok on the mic? I know she is solid in ring but I dont think I have seen her talk much. RAW was probably not the best case example. She was probably shitting herself because it was her big debut and the crowd going nuts probably didnt help.

Showaddy

Paige is ok at best on the mic, stills miles better than most of the other divas (by default) but she's nothing special in that regard.

Carnby

I'm declaring a self exile from OT and any other community threads. I'm at the point where ignorance is preferable. Hit my music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_h8nLLzRVE#t=67

why does everybody keep trying to mess me round
i mean, i mean, im a reasonable type of guy
i dont get drunk
well not that much
dont wanna let my problems down
i got restraints principles
business pleasure leisure
no shirt no dirt no skirt no dirt
keep my blood pressure down
i watch em botch it touch it clutch it
dont try to scotch it
but when i see something someone some how somewhere
im at the point where ignorance is preferable

i am surrounded by incompetence
at work at home at church at sea
theyre on the bus
theyre on tv
theyre call me
theyre plaguin me

i am surrounded
i guess that im a realist
dont believe in coincidence
especially when it happens
more than once
so i wish that person that has
wrapped itself round there
would let go of my legs and listen to me now

lemme tell ya
im convinced that what's needed here

its not more sympathy but a little more discipline
(no pain no gain migraine you came)
your egos wrapped itself round my long thin neck

theyre on the bus
theyre on tv
theyre callin me
theyre plaguin me
i am surrounded

why cant all these people all these people understand
arent my forcefields plans enough?
im sick of being tired
im tired of being sick, im sick of
being sick im tired of being tired
im sick and im a tired
leave it to me to
delegate responsibility
accounting
fraternity
maternity
affirmity
firmity
infinity
affinity
dont limit me

and the american way

theyre on the bus
theyre on tv
theyre callin me
theyre plaguin me
i am surrounded

strobogo

Banned
Doubt there was long term booking at that point, but I know X-Pac said the office was saying Owen was gonna be THE heel in 1994, so maybe they were waiting that out.

i'm giving them too much credit.

But I'm talking about June 1993. Owen was still in his High Energy gear. No way they were planning for a top heel run for him that early. At that point, Owen had only been on Raw twice all year I believe. The lack of depth is crazy. Probably worse than even the worst points of the past 10 years. Benching Macho was a terrible idea. They definitely needed him. He didn't have to be a top guy, but he needed to be more than an announcer who wrestles every 5 months.

Bret was clearly the best and most over guy they had. It makes no sense to me that they didn't immediately put the belt back on him after Hogan left. Everyone felt like he was the top guy, but then they turn Lex face to do a retread of Hogan, which people were sick of. I don't get it.

I don't get A LOT of the booking choices from this time. Like Yoko's death run, all the scrubs Taker was stuck with, Bam Bam going from a near top guy in 1993 to feuding with Doink in 1994, keeping Bret tied up with King (which was terrible. Shockingly bad considering how good both are, but their entire YEARS of feuding was awful). All kinds of really dumb shit that helped no one. The start/stop nature to angles were really bad, too. Like HBK/Perfect started at WM9, but didn't get touched on until weeks later, and then wasn't touched for months later. Literally months at a time where angles weren't even touched. Bret had no angle from WM to KOTR besides "I'm going to be KOTR" and then the stuff with King had I think one angle over the next two months on Raw.

mouserat

Neo Member
Paige is ok at best on the mic, stills miles better than most of the other divas (by default) but she's nothing special in that regard.

she's got a bit of fire, she can probably improve a lot because she's still young, although she looked and behaved like a rabbit in the headlights on RAW. her accent is probably an issue too, when you watch the documentary about the Knight family there's daylight between the way her Dad and brothers talk, the way she talked then, and the way she talks on NXT/RAW now.

I think British wrestlers sound absolutely ridiculous talking in the pro-wrestling cadence, Barrett nearly has it but Drew McIntyre still sounds terrible. I can imagine Paige saying something like 'well you know something AyyyJayyyy, I'm gowing to kick your arse' this week and it gives me bad shivers

strobogo

Banned
Remember when they brought back Bundy in 1994 for no reason.

And Nikolai Volkoff. Vince was so hard up for star power, and those are the two guys he brings back? With Randy Savage sitting right next to him?

I think the real heat between Hogan/Vince came not from whatever happened at the trial, but from Vince agreeing to change all his plans for 1993 just to keep Hulk happy, and then for Hogan to bail on him, forcing Vince to change everything again.

I really doubt Lex would have turned face and Bam Bam probably would have had a main event run.

Congrats to my boy D-Bryan and his now wife Brie! :D

Can't wait to watch it all on TV, even if we get the 'fake' wedding and you have the proper one in private somewhere else. :p

So much happiness all at once, must be a crazy time! He deserves it.

Best promo I've seen since I've been going to British wrestling shows;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNWNrimMYbs

And a Maria gif, just because.

Maria.gif

Also, my ipod 160gb just died and went to replace it, only to find that no one really makes mp3 players of that size any more other than Apple, which is a shame as I've sworn off their shitty products for life. The only mp3 players I can find are smaller, sports-orientated things. I guess everyone's just using their phones instead of a dedicated player. Meh.

Top Bottom