• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| The Spirit of the Ultimate Warrior Will Run Forever!

jmdajr

WWE today announced that WrestleMania 30 reached a record 1 million households in the U.S. alone on WWE Network and pay-per-view combined, the first time WrestleMania has eclipsed this mark domestically. With more than 667,000 WWE Network subscribers in the U.S. and nearly 400,000 domestic pay-per-view buying homes for WrestleMania 30, WWE is confident that it will reach its goal of 1 million subscribers by the end of 2014.

hhgif_zps46a1840a.gif

Rapstah

Well if you guys wanted the Network to sell based on handling big events, maybe you should have bought the "the WWE Network handles big events without lagging" t-shirts and DVDs. They don't give a shit about that unless you're showing them where your money is.

Stro been racist for years. I have it on good authority it was his idea to come up with the "black people can't be champion" feud for Booker T and HHH. He cheered loudly when Triple H won SUPER DECISIVELY.

Hasney

Well if you guys wanted the Network to sell based on handling big events, maybe you should have bought the "the WWE Network handles big events without lagging" t-shirts and DVDs. They don't give a shit about that unless you're showing them where your money is.

Wrestlemania did that, so they're probably hoping word of mouth spread that it coped.

But.. But i don't want shitty storytelling that is going to be shitty.

The reason PWG/ROH/NJPW etc. are so great (at least their DVDs) is that it gets down to brass tax. I don't want to see a 30 minute promo from a wrestler i can't stand.

Stat after stat has showed the mainstream audience in America doesn't really care about matches, they care about stars and for the most part, you can't build stars through good matches.

The only thing I dislike about the Network is that there is seemingly no rhyme or reason to what goes up and when. Sometimes we get old Raws, sometimes old SD, a house show, LoW, etc. It'd be nice to have a schedule of when stuff gets added.

Rapstah

Stat after stat has showed the mainstream audience in America doesn't really care about matches, they care about stars and for the most part, you can't build stars through good matches.

I wouldn't expect Jarrett to pick up Hulk Hogan and John Cena from the indies.

I wouldn't expect Jarrett to pick up Hulk Hogan and John Cena from the indies.

Yeah, but you aren't going to create stars with indy wrestlers through 5 star matches. Punk, Bryan, Cesaro, and the like didn't become stars in the WWE through having awesome matches. It came from having a character people liked, along with being a good wrestler. The Shield were over as a near main event act before they wrestled a single match.

The focus for a wrestling company should be finding charismatic people who can be decent wrestlers, not finding awesome wrestlers who aren't only quasi-charismatic (hello, Dean Malenko).

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Bret was surrounded by charisma to leach off though. I mean seriously, Big Daddy Cool, Owen, Razor, Shawn.

Charisma everywhere around him. Kinda like Cena.

Yeah, but you aren't going to create stars with indy wrestlers through 5 star matches. Punk, Bryan, Cesaro, and the like didn't become stars in the WWE through having awesome matches. It came from having a character people liked, along with being a good wrestler. The Shield were over as a near main event act before they wrestled a single match.

The focus for a wrestling company should be finding charismatic people who can be decent wrestlers, not finding awesome wrestlers who aren't only quasi-charismatic (hello, Dean Malenko).

Disagree. Guys can get over either way. There are many examples of both kinds of guy getting over big. It doesn't have to be one or the other. You can have guys who can wrestle amazingly but can't really talk while also having guys who are the opposite.

Bret was surrounded by charisma to leach off though. I mean seriously, Big Daddy Cool, Owen, Razor, Shawn.

Charisma everywhere around him. Kinda like Cena.

That's not how charisma works. You don't get popular because people around you are popular.

Having zero charisma worked out pretty well for that Bret Hart guy

Hart had plenty of charisma. But, he was also about the 5th choice of Vince's and one of the worst drawing WWF champions of all-time and is a total failure, if you look at say, a "bad" wrestler like Cena or Batista.

Disagree. Guys can get over either way. There are many examples of both kinds of guy getting over big. It doesn't have to be one or the other. You can have guys who can wrestle amazingly but can't really talk while also having guys who are the opposite.

Actually, no. Evidence shows the only way people can be truly transcendent stars that draw money is being charismatic. If Bryan never would've gotten the 'Yes' character, he likely would've stayed in the Jericho role.

Sblargh

Banned
Listening the Steve Austin podcast. Man, Paul Heyman without any script whatsoever is still an awesome speaker. Damn. He is a great speaker just having a conversation.

Hasney

Hart was a terrible face but was usually quite fun as a heel on the mic. I only started liking him when he formed the Hart Foundation stable.

Bret Hart's book had a system, 1) physical presence/look, 2) in-ring ability, and 3)talking/selling/promoting yourself. He said if you rank guys from 1-10, guys in the high twenties usually turn out to be great wrestlers, while shitty guys (he specifically calls out Dino Bravo) don't have many. He gives himself in the early 90s a pretty fair score: 7 Look (he had a good physique and was in shape, though I'd argue this might be too low), 10 Skill & 4 Charisma, adding up to a 21. Hulk Hogan scored a little better, being 10 Look, 3 Skill and 10 Charisma (if I recall correctly).

I thought they was ok. I mean, you got Dusty Rhodes who never looked great, but that mothafucka oozed charisma and had enough skill to get by. Peak-Kurt Angle in early 2000s or prime-Randy Savage was like the total package. You can alter looks and skills, but you can't teach charisma.

strobogo

Banned
Bret Hart wasn't a bad promo guy. He would have been bad if he was sent out to do 20 minute monologues, but he wasn't. He did short, to the point promos and they were enjoyable. His rap of having terrible promo skills always seemed like he was being compared to Hogan/Savage/Warrior insanity, when he wasn't doing those kind of promos.

His promos were more "I'm going to beat you. This is how I'm going to beat you. This is why I'm going to beat you." Just a normal dude giving a promo instead of coke/steroid monster in a manic rage.

Bret Hart's book had a system, 1) physical presence/look, 2) in-ring ability, and 3)talking/selling/promoting yourself. He said if you rank guys from 1-10, guys in the high twenties usually turn out to be great wrestlers, while shitty guys (he specifically calls out Dino Bravo) don't have many. He gives himself in the early 90s a pretty fair score: 7 Look (he had a good physique and was in shape, though I'd argue this might be too low), 10 Skill & 4 Charisma, adding up to a 21. Hulk Hogan scored a little better, being 10 Look, 3 Skill and 10 Charisma (if I recall correctly).

I thought they was ok. I mean, you got Dusty Rhodes who never looked great, but that mothafucka oozed charisma and had enough skill to get by. You can alter looks and skills, but you can't teach charisma.

I basically agree with it, except it's be a 1-10 skill for 1) and 3) and a 5 point scale for skill, since that's actually the least needed part of the equation.

Oh, and the WWE number for WM is a massive success. Most people, including Meltzer were assuming 150,000-250,000 traditional PPV buys for WM domestically. 400,000+600,000 for the network is a gigantic number.

tm24

Im still laughing at the Jeff Jarret/Ian Rotten incident. It's right up there with the Kenny Omega/Samoa Joe in terms of just fucking hilarity

Im still laughing at the Jeff Jarret/Ian Rotten incident. It's right up there with the Kenny Omega/Samoa Joe in terms of just fucking hilarity

...wait what happened there

Oh and Bret had loads of charisma, just physical charisma. The same kind Bryan has, really.

Rapstah

Actually, no. Evidence shows the only way people can be truly transcendent stars that draw money is being charismatic. If Bryan never would've gotten the 'Yes' character, he likely would've stayed in the Jericho role.

And the original point of the guy you quoted first was that he didn't want to see terrible backstage segments instead of good wrestling matches. Doing good backstage segments requires charisma. What are you arguing except "you guys are idiots"?

somedevil

Raw viewership for 4/14:

hour 1: 4.811
hour 2: 4.831
hour 3: 4.669

Avg: 4.770

Wow another big number doing more than 600,000 viewers compared to last years number for the 2nd Raw after WrestleMania.

Rapstah

Sting/Vader on the Network right now is really good. Sting and Vader are really good together. Not the pairing I would expect to work. Sorry, just 20 years too late to this.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Sting/Vader on the Network right now is really good. Sting and Vader are really good together. Not the pairing I would expect to work. Sorry, just 20 years too late to this.

They're great. Vader is a monster heel, looks the part and plays the part. Sting has to use hard work and brains to overcome. That's as complex as it is and that's as complex as it needed to be. Wonderful feud, it captured me for a whole summer when I was a Little Stinger.

Raw viewership for 4/14:

Wow another big number doing more than 600,000 viewers compared to last years number for the 2nd Raw after WrestleMania.
Daniel Bryan is a star. Vince realized that with the aid lf Trips. Just wait for dat World Goes Wild bump and #allpaleeverything

Rapstah

They're great. Vader is a monster heel, looks the part and plays the part. Sting has to use hard work and brains to overcome. That's as complex as it is and that's as complex as it needed to be. Wonderful feud, it captured me for a whole summer when I was a Little Stinger.

It's a lot better than Hogan/Vader but I guess the comparison isn't fair with where the guys are in their careers in their respective match.

XenoRaven

So the guy who wrote/sang WORLD GOES WILD wants WWE to use it now:

https://mobile.twitter.com/StefanLitrownik

Methinks he balked at first until he realized how much money he could make off of it, and/or get a Mania gig out of it :p
Might be too little too late.

It seemed odd to me that he wasn't cool with it in the first place. I thought there may be some stigma where people who get noticed that way don't find mainstream success. But Mark Crozer just performed in a stadium with nearly 80,000 people with likely 750k-1mil people watching on TV and on stream and completely nailed the performance. Tough to beat that if no one knows your name.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It's a lot better than Hogan/Vader but I guess the comparison isn't fair with where the guys are in their careers in their respective match.

Hands down better. Sting was PERFECT through it all and so was Vader. I was legit shook as a babby when Vader did a moonsault. I couldn't believe it!

Sephzilla

I'm thinking the Sting deal is going to fall through. Everything I've read said that he had his heart set on having Taker retire him. If the Streak is dead, a Sting/Taker match loses any last relevance it possibly had plus Taker's probably done.

Bret Hart wasn't a bad promo guy. He would have been bad if he was sent out to do 20 minute monologues, but he wasn't. He did short, to the point promos and they were enjoyable. His rap of having terrible promo skills always seemed like he was being compared to Hogan/Savage/Warrior insanity, when he wasn't doing those kind of promos.

His promos were more "I'm going to beat you. This is how I'm going to beat you. This is why I'm going to beat you." Just a normal dude giving a promo instead of coke/steroid monster in a manic rage.

Cool intro, cool outfit, great wrestler, decent mic skills. He had enough.

What these guys said.

Big picture, I think Bret Hart is one of the more under rated/appreciated main event performers.

Heel

Raw viewership for 4/14:

Daniel Bryan not on RAW effect, IMO. Also, Ultimate Warrior's death and the potential debut of Sting.

Top Bottom