• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| The Spirit of the Ultimate Warrior Will Run Forever!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I don't know what to do or say. Divas Battle Royale was better than expected

I know right!

Also hang your head high. Big Dave now gets to come out every Monday and complain until he gets the belt through shenanigans. He's easily the biggest active wrestler heel in the company now that Orton is practically a face.

So... What the hell does Sting do now?

I can see them making him RAW GM after Triple H is sent home after flipping out but as far as matches? I dont know.

Heel

Undertaker's "tombstone" and his shocked fans stole the show. My sides still hurt. Need a gif of that fan clawing at his face in pain lol

I thought the whole event was pretty good. Couple of thoughts:

HHH vs Bryan was a really solid match, I enjoyed it.
Cesaro winning was awesome!!!!
Surprised Cena won, though Bray would go over.
Taker losing shocked everyone I was watching it with. Regardless of my opinion on the match they did manage to make me speechless.
Good main event, much much better than I expected.

Ithil

Given it was an End of an Era match, and a rounded number, I think Taker should have retired after WM 28's match with HHH in HIAC. 20-0, end of an era.
the Punk match was good but I can lose it.

Carnby

As for the streak ending, you know Taker had a say in it. This wasn't BS swerve booking. This was Taker's decision.

Too bad it couldn't have gone to Punk last year. But hindsight is always 20/20.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Undertaker's "tombstone" and his shocked fans stole the show. My sides still hurt. Need a gif of that fan clawing at his face in pain lol

c2myzyS.gif

I started watching WWE again on WM26, and this was easily the best WM since my return. A+

Same. I agree 100% although the Taker / Bork match lost a lot of impact for me because I was watching game of thrones and found out in the thread before seeing the match. But still pretty shook, hell of the night

Updated New Japan cards - the Ishii/KUSHIDA match is on one of the Taiwan cards, so I hope they're iPPVs. Lots of NWA stuff, unfortunately. Also, random appearance by Mascara Dorada!

NJPW, "WRESTLING WORLD", 2014.04.12
NTU Sports Center, Taiwan

1. Sho Tanaka & Ryusuke Taguchi vs Yohei Komatsu & Mascara Dorada
2. Jushin Liger, Tiger Mask, El Desperado & BUSHI vs Rocky Romero, Alex Koslov, Jado & Gedo
3. Toru Yano & YOSHI-HASHI vs Minoru Suzuki & Taichi
4. NEVER Openweight Title: Tomohiro Ishii (c) vs KUSHIDA
5. Yuji Nagata, Hirooki Goto, Manabu Nakanishi & Captain Taiwan vs Karl Anderson, Doc Gallows, Bad Luck Fale & Tama Tonga
6. Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs Jax Dane
7. NWA World Heavyweight Title: Satoshi Kojima (c) vs Rob Conway
8. Hiroshi Tanahashi, Togi Makabe & Tetsuya Naito vs Kazuchika Okada, Shinsuke Nakamura & Yujiro Takahashi

NJPW, "WRESTLING WORLD", 2014.04.13
NTU Sports Center, Taiwan

1. BUSHI & Ryusuke Taguchi vs El Desperado & Mascara Dorada
2. Sho Tanaka, Yohei Komatsu & Mascara Don vs Yujiro Takahashi, Jado & Gedo
3. Toru Yano & YOSHI-HASHI vs Minoru Suzuki & Taichi
4. IWGP Jr. Tag Titles #1 Contendership: Jushin Liger & Tiger Mask vs Alex Koslov & Rocky Romero
5. Yuji Nagata & Togi Makabe vs Bad Luck Fale & Tama Tonga
6. Hirooki Goto & Captain Taiwan vs Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows
7. NWA World Heavyweight Tag Titles: Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima (c) vs Rob Conway & Jax Dane
8. Hiroshi Tanahashi, Tetsuya Naito & KUSHIDA vs Kazuchika Okada, Shinsuke Nakamura & Tomohiro Ishii

NJPW, "WRESTLING DONTAKU", 2014.05.03
Fukuoka International Center

. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title: Kota Ibushi (c) vs Ryusuke Taguchi
. Wrestling vs Jiu-Jitsu: Shinsuke Nakamura & Kazushi Sakuraba vs Daniel & Rolles Gracie
. IWGP Heavyweight Title: Kazuchika Okada (c) vs AJ Styles

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I try not to get bent out of shape about Cena beating someone. I really do. I understand why he does, I understand that he probably isn't a total piece of shit backstage but he has flaws like everyone else and he gets more shit about protecting his position than someone like CM Punk does, but it's always the WAY they do it. They always execute it SO badly. They always do this shit. They do the Cena 'Is he or isn't he? Is he gonna do this? IS he gonna turn heel' then Cena will hint at it during the match. Then the match will end with no buildup whatsoever. It doesn't put Bray over, it doesn't put Cena over.

But the worst part is the fucking is he or won't he. They do this shit all the fucking time, and I'm completely numb to it because he NEVER does. It's like they hint at SOME KIND OF CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT and they never go through with it. He doesn't have to go heel, but do something slightly different. Make him get real angry months from now when he sees Bray. Make him more aggressive ANYTHING. LITERALLY ANYTHING.

Instead, he will come out to the same music, in the same attire, doing the same moves, and he'll do the same stupid OH WILL I OR WONT I while the writers pat themselves on the back because they honestly think people buy the shit.

EVEN GOD DAMN HULK HOGAN SHAVED HIS FUCKING MUSTACHE WHEN HE LOST HIS POWERS. SOMETHING!

Ithil

It was a bit awkward after they did the huge table spot at the end, where Batista had to just sort of stand around. I am guessing they had intended to have Orton/Batista carry on while the medics looked at Bryan, but they had to wait to make sure Orton wasn't paralyzed on the floor.
Batista looked concerned for Orton, as well, which obviously didn't gel with the match's story, but that's inevitable.

Carnby

During the Taker match, my friends and I came up with a new joke where we described the match as "methodical" with lots of "plotting", which was just a fancy way of saying "boring".

Man God

Non-Canon Member
This might be the worst possible outcome for the normal show of the year, the raw after mania.

What are fans going to rebel against? Taker not being there?

EDIT: I guess people will be mad about Wyatt but he's already pretty damn over.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Time to figure out who got everything right in our Mania Pick'Em.

EDIT: It's Terrabyte20xx - who ALMOST had a perfect run! That Taker swerve got everyone!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Also I really need Brock to get in another feud with HHH so we can have a manager tete a tete between Heyman and Steph. Would be GLORIOUS.

This might be the worst possible outcome for the normal show of the year, the raw after mania.

What are fans going to rebel against? Taker not being there?

They'll rebel against Corporate CM Punk when he returns as Stephanie & Hunter's 'Plan B' and kicks Daniel Bryan in the face.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
It was a bit awkward after they did the huge table spot at the end, where Batista had to just sort of stand around. I am guessing they had intended to have Orton/Batista carry on while the medics looked at Bryan, but they had to wait to make sure Orton wasn't paralyzed on the floor.
Batista looked concerned for Orton, as well, which obviously didn't gel with the match's story, but that's inevitable.
#RealityEra

Heel

I try not to get bent out of shape about Cena beating someone. I really do. I understand why he does, I understand that he probably isn't a total piece of shit backstage but he has flaws like everyone else and he gets more shit about protecting his position than someone like CM Punk does, but it's always the WAY they do it. They always execute it SO badly. They always do this shit. They do the Cena 'Is he or isn't he? Is he gonna do this? IS he gonna turn heel' then Cena will hint at it during the match. Then the match will end with no buildup whatsoever. It doesn't put Bray over, it doesn't put Cena over.

But the worst part is the fucking is he or won't he. They do this shit all the fucking time, and I'm completely numb to it because he NEVER does. It's like they hint at SOME KIND OF CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT and they never go through with it. He doesn't have to go heel, but do something slightly different. Make him get real angry months from now when he sees Bray. Make him more aggressive ANYTHING. LITERALLY ANYTHING.

Instead, he will come out to the same music, in the same attire, doing the same moves, and he'll do the same stupid OH WILL I OR WONT I while the writers pat themselves on the back because they honestly think people buy the shit.

EVEN GOD DAMN HULK HOGAN SHAVED HIS FUCKING MUSTACHE WHEN HE LOST HIS POWERS. SOMETHING!

John Cena's conflicted expression as he held the stairs above his head was one of the dumbest wrestling moments I've ever witnessed, I'll say that.

During the Taker match, my friends and I came up with a new joke where we described the match as "methodical" with lots of "plotting", which was just a fancy way of saying "boring".

They like to call it "technical" in mixed martial land.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
The Taker/Brock match was so terrible but it is the first time in a long time that a wrestling match shocked me. I jumped out of my chair with my hands on my head and yelled, "holy shit"! So there's that.

Mahonay

Banned
Batista looked really worried after Orton destroyed his back.

I was genuinely surprised how well they pulled off that title match. Thank god they ended well after that disastrous Taker/Lesnar match.

MG310

Thinking about it - I guess this gives them a guy with more longevity to work the Taker spot at Mania. Fits in with Brock's current contract structure.

"Who can beat the man that beat the streak?"

Sblargh

Banned
Bryan vs HHH was the best actual match, but as a segment with bad guys, good guys, swerves, and so on, the main event was excellent.

This is wrestling, man. A guy gets put in a stretcher, fights his way out, defeats other two people and his shoulder heals so he can properly celebrate the win.

I'm not being ironic or anything. This is the art of fake fighting.

Thinking about it - I guess this gives them a guy with more longevity to work the Taker spot at Mania. Fits in with Brock's current contract structure.

"Who can beat the man that beat the streak?"

That would have worked if he didn't already lose to HHH and Cena since his return

Anth0ny

I like how the one PPV where Bryan finally gets his uninterrupted un-fucked-over moment, it's still overshadowed by something insane like the Streak ending and capturing everybody's attention above all else.

Exactly. I don't think anything else could have completely stolen the spotlight from Bryan like that lol

Top Bottom