• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| The Spirit of the Ultimate Warrior Will Run Forever!

Sephzilla

I think it's pretty crazy to assume that John "Neo-Hogan 47 time WWE Champion 600 Make a Wish" Cena doesn't have massive pull with the bookers at this point in his career.

Ithil

Do you know if Cena going over was his decision?
Do you know what they're planning with the Wyatts?
Do you have an inside line as to why this is happening?

If not...there's a gif for it.

There is no way, NO WAY, that after 9 years as Vince's golden boy, Cena has absolutely no way of influencing how he is booked. I'm not saying he dictates that he must WINLOL, because that's clearly exactly how Vince wants it, but he just says yes every time to whatever they put in front of him, like a robot. Do you really think that if Cena said to Vince "actually I think I should lose this match" he would be ignored or punished or buried?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
With the whole Cena/Wyatt thing, we like to remember that Cena sells merch, but...

How many sheep masks and hats has Bray been selling?

I have no idea, I wouldn't be privy to that sort of information. Probably a few though!
There is no way, NO WAY, that after 9 years as Vince's golden boy, Cena has absolutely no way of influencing how he is booked. I'm not saying he dictates that he must WINLOL, because that's clearly exactly how Vince wants it, but he just says yes every time to whatever they put in front of him, like a robot. Do you really think that if Cena said to Vince "actually I think I should lose this match" he would be ignored or punished or buried?

I wouldn't know if he does or doesn't.

Sephzilla

Considering pretty much everything else about WM30 was "Hey guys, shit's actually changing for once", Cena clinging to his status quo sticks out like a sore thumb and probably makes it obvious that he has sway in the booking.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
hulk-hogan-yokozuna.jpg

geomon

I love the fact that on Jarrett's site there's nothing to do there at all except buy merch. "It's ok it looks ghetto guys, but by god, get those shirts up."

BFIB

Cena winning shouldn't shock anyone anymore. But if your going to book Cena to win, then it needs to be a win that still matters for the other guy at this point. Cena winning clean doesn't do anything to Cena, but hurts the opponent.

I would have wanted basically to see Bray constantly beg Cena to punish him. Give him a chair, and turn his back. Refusal meant Bray hitting Cena with a chair instead. Basically begging and pleading for Cena to "let loose" and go in full rage mode. Eventually, the Wyatts take control, and have Cena beat down. Bray goes to lock Cena in Sister Abigail....and lets him go, falls face first to the mat, and Cena, from being pummeled during the match, finally lets loose and puts Bray in the STF. Bray smiles as he sits in the STF, clearly fighting the agony, but still keeping a smile, and refuses to tap out. Eventually, the ref is forced to stop the match, because Cena wouldn't let go.

But nope, instead its basic CenaWinsLOL

XenoRaven

Cena said himself he doesn't make the final decision. He might have been lying to make people like him more, but that's what he said anyway.

Also there was a Make-A-Wish kid in the front row.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Cena winning shouldn't shock anyone anymore. But if your going to book Cena to win, then it needs to be a win that still matters for the other guy at this point. Cena winning clean doesn't do anything to Cena, but hurts the opponent.

I would have wanted basically to see Bray constantly beg Cena to punish him. Give him a chair, and turn his back. Refusal meant Bray hitting Cena with a chair instead. Basically begging and pleading for Cena to "let loose" and go in full rage mode. Eventually, the Wyatts take control, and have Cena beat down. Bray goes to lock Cena in Sister Abigail....and lets him go, falls face first to the mat, and Cena, from being pummeled during the match, finally lets loose and puts Bray in the STF. Bray smiles as he sits in the STF, clearly fighting the agony, but still keeping a smile, and refuses to tap out. Eventually, the ref is forced to stop the match, because Cena wouldn't let go.

But nope, instead its basic CenaWinsLOL

We've still got Extreme Rules. ER is usually a really great, surprising show so don't lose all hope. They can get nasty like that with the right stip.

Terrabyte20xx

Junior Wrestlemania XXX Champion
Considering pretty much everything else about WM30 was "Hey guys, shit's actually changing for once", Cena clinging to his status quo sticks out like a sore thumb and probably makes it obvious that he has sway in the booking.

Actually, look at who did the job:

HHH

Kane

NAO

Big Show

Undertaker

You know what these guys have in common? They were all huge stars in the Attitude Era. You know who wasn't in the Attitude Era?

JOHN CENA!!!!!

That's probably how the WWE sees it at least.

Ryback has nothing ahead, just getting into that Tensai/Umaga/Mark Henry spot on the card. He's been chewed up and spat out.

Cena should have lost and then said tonight at Raw "We'll have a rematch at Extreme Rules... but the only way I can overcome these odds is if I see lots of my new shirt out in the crowd, priced at $29.99 on WWE shop".

He'll be the dancing guy with Hornswoggle soon.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Cena said himself he doesn't make the final decision. He might have been lying to make people like him more, but that's what he said anyway.

Also there was a Make-A-Wish kid in the front row.

I keep saying this, but I guess people aren't listening. Cena didn't have to lose. He could have made Bray pass out with a smile. He could have done ANYTHING.

I mean, if we have to have Cena win every time he has a make a wish kid, he'll never lose. Oh wait.

Just finished watching WM and I gotta say I thought Brock vs Taker was done very well. The match itself wasn't of the highest quality but I think it did it's job from a story telling perspective. The longer the match went the more mortal Taker looked. It really felt like his aura of invincibility was being stripped right before our eyes. While this was obviously because Taker was gassed, I think it fit into the story telling of the match.

Credit to Taker for going out on his back and setting up for Brock to be the new WM attraction.

Sephzilla

We've still got Extreme Rules. ER is usually a really great, surprising show so don't lose all hope. They can get nasty like that with the right stip.

Have Cena let loose with a chair in a match where he's allowed to let loose and hit people with chairs?

That would be stupid as fuck.

Hasney

I suppose the main thing is that Make-A-Wish kids don't wish to come to the b-shows, so they're less likely to send a dying kid home crying.

Wonder how many Make-A-Wish requests Bad News Barret gets...

Sephzilla

It's just frustrating because the build up to Cena/Wyatt was great and it could have gone somewhere that would have actually shaken up the status quo a little bit and actually allowed Cena to actually do something with his vapid character.

Instead, we got the most cliche Cena moment.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I would understand the anger more and be on board if it was the end of the feud and that was the blowoff, but all signs are pointing to a continuation of the feud. Everything's gonna be ok.

Cagey

Banned
Just finished watching WM and I gotta say I thought Brock vs Taker was done very well. The match itself wasn't of the highest quality but I think it did it's job from a story telling perspective. The longer the match went the more mortal Taker looked. It really felt like his aura of invincibility was being stripped right before our eyes. While this was obviously because Taker was gassed, I think it fit into the story telling of the match.

Credit to Taker for going out on his back and setting up for Brock to be the new WM attraction.

Agreed. After the shock and anger and rage that what no one thought would happen happened subsides, you can see the story being told. It was enjoyable.

Terrabyte20xx

Junior Wrestlemania XXX Champion
It's like you haven't seen a Cena feud before

But then where's that "Bray... You're looking a little Husky there" Joke everyone's saying Cena will make? If you notice, Cena hasn't made a singe one of his terrible jokes this entire build up. This is not a normal Cena feud.

Xater

Because it would be a great match

I checked out of wrestling when Sheamus was coming up. In the last few months he has given me no indication that his ringwork is average at best and his character is totally uninteresting.

I also hate his "big" moves. One is a terrible looking kick and the beating on someones chest thing looks just silly. It's worse than someone doing the punches in the corner.

PS: I can't stress enough how much of a bummer it is that RAW is not on the Network.

Laserfrog

I believe.

People said The Network wouldn't hold under the strain. It did.
People saying Oculus Rift is a fad, no it's the future, just like the Bray Wyatt character is the future. Can't wait for Wyatt Cena 2 it's gonna build like a man building a very supportive brick wall to the top of a mountain.

The name of that mountain? Mount Believe.

Agreed. After the shock and anger and rage that what no one thought would happen happened subsides, you can see the story being told. It was enjoyable.

Yeah I gotta admit it helped that I knew the result before watching so I could focus more on the story telling of the match.

Also I'm salivating at the thought of Heyman milking this for all it's worth.

Sephzilla

But then where's that "Bray... You're looking a little Husky there" Joke everyone's saying Cena will make? If you notice, Cena hasn't made a singe one of his terrible jokes this entire build up. This is not a normal Cena feud.

True. Outside of the Margarittaville gag, Cena actually did a good job of staying within the feud and not shredding Bray's gimmick.

Vylash

I checked out of wrestling when Sheamus was coming up. In the last few months he has given me no indication that his ringwork is average at best and his character is totally uninteresting.

I also hate his "big" moves. One is a terrible looking kick and the beating on someones chest thing looks just silly. It's worse than someone doing the punches in the corner.

PS: I can't stress enough how much of a bummer it is that RAW is not on the Network.
Sheamus pulled a good match out of Big Show, he's a miracle worker

Paracelsus

Real talk: if someone had to go over Taker at WM, it should have been Cena. Everyone would hate him for it, but he's the hero we need.

They need him as a goofy heel like Angle so that the clueless kids buy more of his shit, if he defeated Taker there would be a serious risk of someone throwing objects at him in the ring let alone insults at events.

Sephzilla

I think the # of network subs is going to rocket up after Wrestlemania now, especially with the positive word of mouth going around about the Network never going down or having much of a hiccup at all during the show.

Ithil

Hang on, he had a whole segment about 3 weeks ago where his response to Bray was to crack jokes for 5 minutes about fedoras and hillbillies and Margaritaville with dumb impressions of the Wyatts, etc.. Thankfully WWE appear to have excised it from existence as all the recaps exclude it and they haven't referenced it since.

The very next week he came out and started going on about how he was suddenly "afraid" of Bray Wyatt and legacy legacy this is my legacy, etc.

charsace

Real talk: if someone had to go over Taker at WM, it should have been Cena. Everyone would hate him for it, but he's the hero we need.

No. He isn't in the league of someone that could have ended the Streak. The WWE likes to sell him as being in that class, but he isn't. There were only 4 guys that could have broke it and 3 them weren't gonna wrestle last night. Triple H is probably the 5th guy. Other than that no one else ranks high enough to break the streak.

Brock is bigger than Cena and has amassed credentials outside of the WWE that make him legit.

Xater

Wow those network numbers are shocking.

In what way? hey are not that far away from their goal of 800k to break even. It has also been a good experience for most users last night so that will help. Hopefully they will also roll it out officially in other countries soon.

charsace

Do you know if Cena going over was his decision?
Do you know what they're planning with the Wyatts?
Do you have an inside line as to why this is happening?

If not...there's a gif for it.

At this point I believe Cena has a say in anything he does. If fucking Rock, Stone Cold, and Triple H could decide who they put over or not put over or to bury someone that one of the other 2 put over then Cena, who is in a similar position right now, has some say in what happens in his feuds.

If a loss would hurt Cena's sales potential then he shouldn't be on top. Rock and Stone Cold would lose to Triple and it didn't hurt their popularity or ability to sell merch. Kids were still eating their slop up. So this excuse about selling shit to kids is nonsense. Cena's house is built on a fragile foundation and that's why they won't do anything else with him. Cena is a transitional guy like HBK who has been the top guy for too long.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
At this point I believe Cena has a say in anything he does. If fucking Rock, Stone Cold, and Triple H could decide who they put over or not put over or to bury someone that one of the other 2 put over then Cena, who is in a similar position right now, has some say in what happens in his feuds.

Don't get me wrong, he has a say, and I agree with that. But the idea of saying Cena refused is a little silly considering we don't know the plans for the whole feud, we don't know what Wyatt wanted, we don't know the direction, we don't know the end. We'll have a clearer direction tonight. And like I said, Extreme Rules is coming up which should allow for more leeway in damaging people and how that goes.

Top Bottom