• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT2| The Coronation of The King of Swing

Marvel

could never
iBi6ORjZoxmOD.jpg

Sheamus wasn't always a joke. Good in the ring, but the stupid hair cut and Irish Cena gimmick hurts him.

I have no problem with him if he gets made... more real.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly I think Sheamus would benefit from a steady tag team.

IMyh8K1.jpg

This was supposed to happen at Chapter 12, but they had to shuffle the card because of injuries, so I'm real glad they could make it happen at Chapter 13. Ligero's impressed me a ton over the past year or so and Tommy End's finally making good on the promise he's shown in wXw for years now, so this should be an excellent match.

Carnby

We noted before that former WCW announcer Tony Schiavone was at WWE headquarters in Stamford earlier this year. It was believed that Schiavone was there to film footage for some of WWE's upcoming WCW DVD's and WrestlingDVDNews.com reports that one of those projects was likely WWE's "OMG! The Top 50 Incidents In WCW History" DVD and Blu-ray that comes out on August 12th. Below is the new synopsis:
"Relive iconic moments such as Hulk Hogan joining the n.W.o., Magnum T.A. and Tully Blanchard's infamous "I Quit Match", the Horsemen assaulting Dusty Rhodes and dozens of others in this countdown.

Hear stories from the men who lived these moments…Tony Schiavone, Booker T, Vince Russo, Big Show, DDP, Dusty Rhodes, Kevin Nash and more."

WrestlingDVDNews.com also reports that the following WCW moments are planning to be included in the countdown: Shane McMahon & Vince McMahon appearing on WCW TV, Goldberg beating Hulk Hogan for the title in the Georgia Dome, Dennis Rodman joining the nWo and David Arquette winning the World Heavyweight Title.

Please PLEASE use that same awful "Oh my god" song that was used in the first OMG dvd. It was so bad it was good. lol

DMczaf

I hope he introduces each of the Top 50 moments with "This was the greatest night in the history of our sport."

Each one.

Sblargh

Banned
I like Sheamus, he has been screwed out of three good wrestlemania matches now; if the Wrestlemania 29 match against Bryan was the one he had one month later, who knows how it would all be now. He probably would not be The Top Guy like everyone apparently needs to be to not swim on the ocean of the meaningless midcard, but I think he would look a lot better right now.

I think he falls into the lack of good heels problem that WWE is having now. I think he needs a good, solid midcard feud, something they tried to do with Christian, but, you know, done right, not 5 matches every week so we grow tired of it. And they were having good matches, too, it was just... damn, it felt like there were so many of them. Any of those Christian matches without context looks good, but when context makes your match worse, that's just plain bad booking.

DonDraper

Banned
The best thing about WM18 was that I think it finally validated my belief that HHH was never in the same league as Austin or Rock. To be fair though, that crowd wasnt completely dead for their match.

I gotta agree with you that HHH was never in the same league. I don't know that anyone would walk out on a main event with those two in it, even after the awesomeness of Hogan/Rock. But I was there for WM18 and there were a ton of people walking out during that main event. They were either just burnt out or just didn't care.

I like it - it might be contrived, but it's pretty much the only spot like that in WWE these days. No one does the 10 punches in the corner spot any more, it seems.
It exposes the business according to Good Ol' J.R.

I'm surprised you don't listen to the Ross Report.

Rapstah

One thing people almost never mention when it comes to WM18 is that there were two matches after Rock/Hogan. The second-to-last match of the PPV was Jazz retaining her women's title against Trish Stratus and Lita. Six minutes. No one cared.

Sephzilla

WWE revisionist history tries to make Rock/Hogan the main event of WM18. Which is partially how they justify saying that Hogan was in the main event for 10 WrestleManias when he actually wasn't.

Averno's quit CMLL.

If you guys remember, he was the guy WWE were reportedly signing for Sin Cara to work with, but then Cara got injured and Averno stayed in Mexico (CMLL had already unmasked him when it looked like he was leaving for WWE, though). Guess he'll go to AAA to reignite his rivalry with Sin Cara.

bean breath said:
It exposes the business according to Good Ol' J.R.

I'm surprised you don't listen to the Ross Report.

Not too keen on podcasts, I'll tune in when he gets Stan Hansen and Bill Watts on, though.

Also, JR thinks a bunch of stuff exposes the business. Hell, he's sat witness to and called commentary over bunch of stuff that exposed the business.

darkbanjo

Has that rumour about Battleground having a War Games match based on the seating charts been discussed? I know people love/hate War Games up in here.

Not too keen on podcasts, I'll tune in when he gets Stan Hansen and Bill Watts on, though.

Also, JR thinks a bunch of stuff exposes the business. Hell, he's sat witness to and called commentary over bunch of stuff that exposed the business.
UFC wasn't as big at that time.

How do you feel about time limits and draws?

BHZ Mayor

One thing people almost never mention when it comes to WM18 is that there were two matches after Rock/Hogan. The second-to-last match of the PPV was Jazz retaining her women's title against Trish Stratus and Lita. Six minutes. No one cared.

Three if you count the Christian hardcore title segment as a match.

Sephzilla

I think we need more stuff like time limit draws. If you're on a televised wrestling show that has a 3 hour run time, it makes sense that the matches should have time limits.

Overall, while everyone knows its fake, I wish they'd go back to at least pretending it was a semi legitimate sport that had rules and stuff like time limits and all that jazz.

2000-2001 HHH was the shit, and had a lot of great angles/matches with Foley, The Rock, Austin, Jericho, Benoit, Angle, etc. Hell, even the match he went out on was godlike. He wasn't as popular as Rock or Austin, but he was the top heel in the business and he worked in and outside the ring.

Then that mothafucka came back like 30 pounds too big and wasn't the worker he used to be. Every now and again you'd get HHH/HBK at SS '02 or that Batista/HHH HITC match that ended Evolution...but most of it was like Katie Vick and burying RVD and PEOPLE LIKE BOOKER T CAN'T WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS DO A DANCE FOR ME BOOK and two months of awful Scott Steiner shit. I think the nadir of this era was the elimination chamber at SS '03 where HHH couldn't work, so he gets superkicked by Shawn at the beginning, spends 20 MINUTES selling this and lying on the ground, then buries Goldberg with a Sledgehammer at the end and wins the WWE championship.

edit: '92 WarGames is the shit

BHZ Mayor

Speaking of exposing the business, I was just watching the Bash at the Beach 2000 Hogan/Jarrett/Russo thing, and I imagined myself watching from the perspective of someone who bought the PPV at the time. It kinda blows my mind that someone paid probably $40-50 to watch a performance, and that meta bullshit is what they got, and then I did some reading and found out that they did the lay down thing before with Sting. Wow.

darkbanjo

Now Sting is probably going to show up in WWE, War Games is the new unlikely relic of WCW for people to hold out for. Someone make a War Games flag for Homer to hold.

Rapstah

2000-2001 HHH was the shit, and had a lot of great angles/matches with Foley, The Rock, Austin, Jericho, Benoit, Angle, etc. Hell, even the match he went out on was godlike. He wasn't as popular as Rock or Austin, but he was the top heel in the business and he worked in and outside the ring.

Then that mothafucka came back like 30 pounds too big and wasn't the worker he used to be. Every now and again you'd get HHH/HBK at SS '02 or that Batista/HHH HITC match that ended Evolution...but most of it was like Katie Vick and burying RVD and PEOPLE LIKE BOOKER T CAN'T WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS DO A DANCE FOR ME BOOK and two months of awful Scott Steiner shit. I think the nadir of this era was the elimination chamber at SS '03 where HHH couldn't work, so he gets superkicked by Shawn at the beginning, spends 20 MINUTES selling this and lying on the ground, then buries Goldberg with a Sledgehammer at the end and wins the WWE championship.

edit: '92 WarGames is the shit

I love you, you should write more.

There aren't enough of them - time limits add in an interesting dynamic for both heels & faces towards the end of the match, as they scramble to get the win (or avoid a loss) with limited time remaining and a draw can be very useful as well, storytelling wise. They're good for 2/3 falls matches, something else there's a lack of today.

Personally, I'd like more count-outs and DQ finishes. Actually, fuck it, I'll just go back to watching 80's wrasslin.

Incidentally, if UFC's popularity is actually used as consideration for what is and isn't believable, then why we still got "submissions" that take forever to tap a guy out and weak, weak looking strikes from 95% of the roster?

Top Bottom