• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT2| The Coronation of The King of Swing

Sephzilla

I'd rather watch Rock and Hogan play off of a hot crowd than watch Cena and Rock try to hit the same 2 moves over and over for 10 minutes.

Pavaloo

I wonder if Rock would be in better ring shape these days since he doesn't need to bulk for hercules anymore. I felt like he was noticeably smaller at WM 30 [still huge of course]

Hogan had a better match with Rock than Cena did. And Cena had two chances.

Ignoring the fact Rock was ten years older by time Cena was in the ring with him, that throwing out the crowd, Cena-Rock and Cena-Rock II were both better matches than Rock-Hogan were. Now, unlike Meltzer, who agrees with me in this fact, I'd put both Cena-Rock matches at around three stars and the Rock-Hogan match at two stars, but either way, they were better matches.

At least hogan was willing to turn heel and became some what entertaining

Hogan turned heel because his merchandise wasn't selling, ratings were dropping, and he was getting booed by adults and kids at live events. Why should Cena turn heel? Yes, he's written horribly (and I think the fact he doesn't stand up to the stupid comedy bits is a valid criticism of him), but do you really think he'll suddenly be written better if he gets turned heel?

Cena's had more awesome matches in the past 18 months than Hogan had during his entire career.

There's also the entire post-match of WM6 where even Hogan admitted he basically f'd over the Warrior during his most important moment.
Shawn was right when he told Bret to get the fuck out of the ring.

Sephzilla

Ignoring the fact Rock was ten years older by time Cena was in the ring with him, that throwing out the crowd, Cena-Rock and Cena-Rock II were both better matches than Rock-Hogan were. Now, unlike Meltzer, who agrees with me in this fact, I'd put both Cena-Rock matches at around three stars and the Rock-Hogan match at two stars, but either way, they were better matches.

Hogan was 8 years older than Rock is today when WrestleMania 18 happened.

Cena-Rock 2 in particular was an awful match. Rock was injured and blown up early in the match, and because of that it (once again) exposed Cena as a guy who can't lead a match to save his life. Which is why so much of the match is just them reversing AA's and Rock Bottoms before doing pretty much the exact same spot as last years match over again.

Cena-Rock 2 in particular was an awful match. Rock was injured and blown up early in the match, and because of that it (once again) exposed Cena as a guy who can't lead a match to save his life. Which is why so much of the match is just them reversing AA's and Rock Bottoms before doing pretty much the exact same spot as last years match over again.

Still better than the bloated below average saved by the awesome Toronto crowd match that was Rock-Hogan.

I look forward to the days when Cena is no longer wrestling anymore.

Don't worry, he will once the torch is passed to Roman Reigns.

Marvel

could never
Cena gets booed when he displays Heel like tendencies, I feel nothing will fix it.

Infected with a lethal dose of cheese.

BHZ Mayor

Hey Jesse,

2275932_o.gif

Neither Cena nor Punk could get a decent match out of the Rock. Yet we know that both of them are more than capable of having good wrestling matches.

Conclusion: Current Rock sucks ass. I don't see how you can pin the match quality on Cena.

Neither Cena nor Punk could get a decent match out of the Rock. Yet we know that both of then are more than capable of having good wrestling matches.

Conclusion: Current Rock sucks ass. I don't see how you can pin the match quality on Cena.

See, even though I disagree, this is a perfectly respectable opinion. Because if there is blame to be put, it puts it on the right person instead of blaming the face of the "problem" in the WWE (Cena) instead of the actual "problem" in the WWE (Vince).

Striker

Still better than the bloated below average saved by the awesome Toronto crowd match that was Rock-Hogan.
I'd watch Hogan-Warrior, Hogan-Rock over any Cena match. Personality is huge and so is telling a story. Not seeing the same match for the millionth time (aka Bray/Cena at Mania).

Don't worry, he will once the torch is passed to Roman Reigns.
Unfortunately, you're right.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
A ** match with a ***** crowd. Give me Cena/Umaga anyday over two guys posing and occasionally remembering their supposed to be in a wrestling match every so often.

Give me a Hogan promo over a Cena promo any day of the week. And considering these guys are there for their characters and promos, that puts Hogan ahead.

Hogan rarely ever buried anyone and made shitty jokes in his promos. Hogan's burying was almost always in the ring or backstage. Cena's is in the ring, on the mic, and backstage.

There's magic when Hogan does his hulk up during that Mania match. I still kinda marked out when Hogan did it in his TNA match against Sting(I think). Fuck drag Hogan into somebody's corner next Mania and just have him do some horrible hulk up punches the place would go insane

Give me a Hogan promo over a Cena promo any day of the week. And considering these guys are there for their characters and promos, that puts Hogan ahead.

Hogan rarely ever buried anyone and made shitty jokes in his promos. Hogan's burying was almost always in the ring or backstage. Cena's is in the ring, on the mic, and backstage.

Yeah, Hogan promos were just coked up nonsensical oddities at times.

But seriously, Hogan promos are just as formulaic as Cena promos, only now you can watch the 5 or 10 best ones from the entire era and not realize you'd get the same routine for weeks during the actual Hogan era.

On actual promo ability, I'd give Hogan a slight edge mostly for the first part of his nWo heel run, but Cena has been fantastic when he's had to ad-lib (such as the Seattle show, where according to Meltzer, he basically saved the final segment from going to shit) or he's actually been given a serious bad-ass face promo to do.

Like I said, if you want to criticize Cena for not standing up to the stupid promos, I'll fully back you on that.

Marvel

could never
Yeah when I'm bored or a little low, put X8 on and watch Hogan hulk up after that lock up with Rock. Insane, always makes me mark out to this day.

Hogan vs Rock at WM X8 was fantastic. It wasn't a technical masterpiece but the storytelling was fantastic. Both of those guys were on their game and it was a great crowd, but part of the reason the crowd was so great was those guys put together a great story

When Hogan gave Rock the RB that place went apeshit because it meant something, that was such a cool moment. Neither Cena-Rock match came close to that match, and any dirt sheet guy that says it did need their head examined!!

Sephzilla

Like Dragonzord said, Hogan didn't bury people as badly as Cena does. Sure a lot of feuds against Hogan ended with the bad guy getting a leg drop, but Hogan didn't attack their character and completely bury their personas like Cena did. If there is one category where Hogan trumps Cena without question, it's in his promo ability.

Hogan also had better theme music too.

Please lets not even name Cena and Hogan in the same sentence. Cena is a joke and has been for 10 years. He a god to 5 year olds, and that is all.

This is one of my favorite WM moments ever personally, and I'm not even that huge of a Hogan mark. The build up to nWo Hogan hulking up, Rock's reaction, and then the crowd going absolutely ape shit for it was amazing.

I am a lot older than most of you, I can say this is my fav WM match ever.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Most of the WCW locker room from 1994 to 2000 would disagree with you. Along with large parts of the WWF locker room for most of the 80's. Oh, and Bret Hart. Something something Wrestlemania IX.

I only have to make one comparison.
Hulk Hogan feuding with Ted Dibiase vs John Cena ruining Alberto Del Rio's gimmick.

This is one of my favorite WM moments ever personally, and I'm not even that huge of a Hogan mark. The build up to nWo Hogan hulking up, Rock's reaction, and then the crowd going absolutely ape shit for it was amazing.

Same here. The crowd + Rock's reaction made me #HYPE.

Sephzilla

Most of the WCW locker room from 1994 to 2000 would disagree with you. Along with large parts of the WWF locker room for most of the 80's. Oh, and Bret Hart. Something something Wrestlemania IX.

Bret Hart went on to headline the next WrestleMania, have a couple of WWE title reigns, and become the face of the company. Andre, Macho, Warrior, Heenan, DiBiase, etc all had feuds with Hogan and they came out of those feuds decently well and their careers weren't permanently crippled. Meanwhile, Cena buried R-Truth, Del Rio, Tensai, the entire Nexus, etc, etc. And pretty much all of have never been heard from again in terms of relevancy. It's taken Wade Barrett years to get back to any kind of relevance.

Please lets not even name Cena and Hogan in the same sentence. Cena is a joke and has been for 10 years. He a god to 5 year olds, and that is all.

I am a lot older than most of you, I can say this is my fav WM match ever.

Same here. The crowd + Rock's reaction made me #HYPE.

The only way that moment could have somehow gotten any more (comically) entertaining is if Hogan could have somehow momentarily exploded into the red & yellow.

Top Bottom