• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ara: History Untold has non-binary leaders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ara: History Untold has trophies that need to be completed as a female or non-binary leader . . .

jP64hK4.png

StereoVsn

Screw that non-sense.
I'll just wait for Civilization VII.

Angry Fed Up GIF
I am not liking what I am seeing out of Civ VII due to how ages work and random civ “evolutions” age to age. 😓

And man, for this game, what complete load of horse 💩. I was actually looking forward to see how release version looks. Meh now.

I will wait a year for patches and mods instead.

Edit: And once again who the f are they thinking the audience is?

“Modern Gamers” who barely have attention span to play a few rounds of Fortnite and not learn strategy games learning curves.

Last edited:

Woopah

Are there multiple trophies with this requirement? Or did they just do it for the Barbenheimer joke?

Saber

And what the number of those trophies are low? Will it a bigots or homophobic problem? Or both?

We can all make jokes about George Washington but who in history is non binary?

Does history tell if he isn't?
First rule of internet historians experts: if theres no records saying he isn't, nothing stops you from saying he is. George could be a non-binary genderfluid furry for all we know.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
I am not liking what I am seeing out of Civ VII due to how ages work and random civ “evolutions” age to age. 😓

And man, for this game, what complete load of horse 💩. I was actually looking forward to see how release version looks. Meh now.

I will wait a year for patches and mods instead.

I'm also not sure about that mechanic with the ages. But I'm open to new ideas.

What I don't care about is another game being used to push politics.

StereoVsn

I'm also not sure about that mechanic with the ages. But I'm open to new ideas.

What I don't care about is another game being used to push politics.
Yep, and if the mechanic doesn’t work then an expansion will probably fix it. This shit will remain and if anything the devs will double down judging by the latest happenings.

GrayChild

As for how the game approaches history, the company’s Narrative Designer and Historian Grace Rojas explained, “In my eyes, history is about storytelling. It’s a common misconception that history is strictly about the facts and figures, or in the case of a game like ours, the victors and the losers. But history goes way beyond that.”

Basically, "history can be twisted and rewritten into something else for the sake of pushing our own personal agendas."

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
We can all make jokes about George Washington but who in history is non binary?
Emperor Elagabalus is the closest I can think of. Not quite non-binary, but definitely didn't conform to traditional gender roles and supposedly wanted to be referred to as a woman. Had males and female lovers, but this is nothing out of the ordinary for powerful figures in Ancient Rome.

Basically, "history can be twisted and rewritten into something else for the sake of pushing our own personal agendas."
Read his statement on its own and tell me that doesn't look like the next paragraph will be something something the six million lie or something something slavery never happened or insert random historical atrocity denial.

What a bizarre fucking thing to say.

Edit: I can't spell!

Last edited:

Ridicululzz

Shouldn't the achievement be limited to female only since it's a Barbie reference? Or is Barbie also non-binary now?

Would non-binary people get offended over this since they're being lumped in with females? :pie_thinking:

So many questions...

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

“In my eyes, history is about storytelling. It’s a common misconception that history is strictly about the facts and figures, or in the case of a game like ours, the victors and the losers. But history goes way beyond that.”

Quoted section about historical research timestamped in the video. It just sounds like typical sanitized corpo-speak, nothing particularly out of the ordinary or agenda red flagging.

I disagree with how she frames her statement. Historical research is about facts and coming as close to objective truth as you can achieve. The practice of writing history also involves telling a compelling story with a specific point of view to engage the audience and effectively transport them into a different time and place. They should work hand-in-hand.

winjer

Gold Member

“In my eyes, history is about storytelling. It’s a common misconception that history is strictly about the facts and figures, or in the case of a game like ours, the victors and the losers. But history goes way beyond that.”

Quoted section about historical research timestamped in the video. It just sounds like typical sanitized corpo-speak, nothing particularly out of the ordinary or agenda red flagging.

I disagree with how she frames her statement. Historical research is about facts and coming as close to objective truth as you can achieve. The practice of writing history also involves telling a compelling story with a specific point of view to engage the audience and effectively transport them into a different time and place. They should work hand-in-hand.

This is a very dangerous train of thought.
History is a science, tough not as accurate as mathematical sciences, it still requires full respect for the scientific process, for reasoning and logic and respect for facts.
What she is saying is not history, it's fiction. It's propaganda.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
What are your pronouns?
I am not that far, just that getting triggered over random shit, is like SJW getting triggered in 2014, I have PTSD from that time and seems to be coming back

It litters this board extensively and you are all fucking annoying 🚬

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
And it's ging to require an MS account to play multi-player.
So it's one of those games that even if you buy it on Steam, it will require another launcher.
We all know how bad the xbox app is on PC.

It doesn't say that on the Steam page.

Also, games requiring MS accounts don't need a separate launcher, just a login using an MS account.

Branded

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom