• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Archer - S4 |OT| of Babou, Therapy Cranes, Whorediots & the Danger Zone - Thurs on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Olyphant is two for two with his guest appearances on FX shows. The ending is probably the loudest I've laughed at any of the Archer episodes. It was just the perfect way to end it.

The voicemail gag is great. I fell for it when I should have known better. Only an asshole could would attempt such a thing in real life however.

Olyphant is two for two with his guest appearances on FX shows. The ending is probably the loudest I've laughed at any of the Archer episodes. It was just the perfect way to end it.

The voicemail gag is great. I fell for it when I should have known better. Only an asshole could would attempt such a thing in real life however.
My dad does it, a more down to earth version that is.

bndadm

My god the way this show weaves in it's own continuity is genius.

My wife was the one who pointed out to me that the interrogater from the pilot was at the end of the table (I thought it was a grey-haired Krieger), who would indeed be working at ISIS at the time. And last week they showed Archer still had Dicky's name tattooed.

Cecil taking his snowpants off like a kid, lying on the ground..

Man they were firing the jokes left and right you couldn't even keep up with the episode. It was also nice to have a return of HR Pam and office "life" again.

This show is greatness. FX - damn good television.

Red

Man I love season 4 so far. Next episode looks great. Pleasantly surprised, since I thought season 3 was mostly disappointing.

ibmmNMgpKYJkOc.gif

iXeLocEEQgSQz.gif

iCh5Z3nwqRPDq.gif

iMXtZA95xIS.gif

iz09Z4daes8oX.gif

iErbKLwBB1Irl.gif

ibyFo7BgSdnUIa.gif

I don't get the entmoot joke.

Also, did Luke jizz all over Archer's room in the end?

And I love the voicemail jokes. This show knows how to work in old episodes.

Walshicus

I can't seem to find Archer Season 1 on Blu-Ray in England. Everywhere seems to have Season 2 and 3, but not 1... Any leads?

Weenerz

Banned
DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANGERZONE

Just got into this show, holy shit where have I been? It has Lucielle #1 George Bluth and Kitty?! My god man, this is the second greatest comedy ever on TV, right behind AD.

tumblr_l8x6utwOqh1qz53pzo1_400.jpg

Odoul

This season is looking like it's going to be Lanas turn to eat shit.

Premier ep showed her fucking up, and Mallorys crack about her not even being the best agent at the pool, which included Cyril and Kreiger.

Yesterday had Luke, and Cyril for Gods sake, accurately pointing out her shortcoming.

She also
gets back with Cyril
at some point this season.

She's always gotten through the show relatively unscathed, physically, mentally and emotionally. Maybe it's her turn?

Or I could just be seeing things that aren't there.

Merovin

This season is looking like it's going to be Lanas turn to eat shit.

Premier ep showed her fucking up, and Mallorys crack about her not even being the best agent at the pool, which included Cyril and Kreiger.

Yesterday had Luke, and Cyril for Gods sake, accurately pointing out her shortcoming.

She also
gets back with Cyril
at some point this season.

She's always gotten through the show relatively unscathed, physically, mentally and emotionally. Maybe it's her turn?

Or I could just be seeing things that aren't there.

This is only my theory, but I'm going to spoiler it just in case:
I still think she's pregnant.

Wow that was a great episode. I laughed so much at the end.

Gay panic? Politically incorrect? Gah, what a crummy review, and I always read the AV Club reviews.

I almost felt the same, but the show's had some decent gay characters in the past so I'm not really too fussed about it.

Taken as one episode, I can see this response, but in the whole of the show, I don't think it's too bad.

big ander

"Paging Dr. Cooper. DR. D.B. COOPER."

funny episode for most of it but...I agree that it was gay panic-y. And the rape joke at the end was awful. I mean, do a gender swap in your head. Imagine Archer's a chick and the final punchline of the episode is "haha! I raped you!" That make it seem any less funny to any of you? I hope so. I know the show is normally simultaneously mean yet positive about stuff like this, but this episode's plot felt straight out of the 90s.

Red

funny episode for most of it but...I agree that it was gay panic-y. And the rape joke at the end was awful. I mean, do a gender swap in your head. Imagine Archer's a chick and the final punchline of the episode is "haha! I raped you!" That make it seem any less funny to any of you? I hope so. I know the show is normally simultaneously mean yet positive about stuff like this, but this episode's plot felt straight out of the 90s.
It wasn't the show's creative high point, that's for sure, but it had great pacing and comedic timing.

Igo

A female Archer being raped by a female Luke, or even Pam, still works as a joke.

big ander

It wasn't the show's creative high point, that's for sure, but it had great pacing and comedic timing.
animation in the final shot was amazing. still felt off to me.
A female Archer being raped by a female Luke, or even Pam, still works as a joke.
no not really?
Like, the show has had sexually dark stuff happen before, stuff that would not at all be ok in real life. Usually involving Pam, or Cyril, or Carol/Cheryl. And Archer of course. But in those I feel like there's been some level of consent and it happened as part of a bigger thing. Pam and Archer's relationship (which had a slightly unsavory beginning) wasn't the focus of the end of season 3, it just happened while other stuff happened. And it was portrayed as consensual most of the time. Here, the absolute final punchline was "someone was raped." Everything in the episode led up to that.
And why would both being female or both being male work better than a heterosexual couple? Because it shouldn't. and if you view rape differently based on the gender of those involved...that's a problem

Cyril got raped by Pam and Ray. In one night.

It was funny both times.

(For reference, this was in the baby-shower/DNA test episode)

It was funny both times.

I was actually thinking about that last night and was gonna post this. Good thing you reminded me.

Cyril was on the jon past out, and Ray sneeks in after Pam.

Demon Ice

Banned

"Imagine the show was completely drastically different, then that same joke totally wouldn't work!"

Stop going out of your way to get offended. The jokes wouldn't work if all of the characters were lemurs, either.

big ander

I'd forgotten about that joke and dunno if I'd find it funny again.
And I get the show is dark. big part of why I love it. there are, however, different shades of darkness and many different ways of handling it.
I guess what I don't get is why people are so eager to defend this joke. It is a rape joke and it should be pretty understood that a rape joke will be off to some people. I'm not saying don't find it funny. I'm saying it should be very obvious why someone might not find it funny.

big ander

"Imagine the show was completely drastically different, then that same joke totally wouldn't work!"

Stop going out of your way to get offended. The jokes wouldn't work if all of the characters were lemurs, either.
jesus what a great argument someone call thomas hobbes he'll be in awe of this airtight beaut
my point was that I thought the joke was a "it's funny because gay!" thing. which isn't funny.
I'm not going out of my way to be offended and I'm really not offended. you see me starting a damn internet campaign? stop being so pissy and reactionary to an opinion.
your lemur argument is...very stupid

Red

I'd forgotten about that joke and dunno if I'd find it funny again.
And I get the show is dark. big part of why I love it. there are, however, different shades of darkness and many different ways of handling it.
I guess what I don't get is why people are so eager to defend this joke. It is a rape joke and it should be pretty understood that a rape joke will be off to some people. I'm not saying don't find it funny. I'm saying it should be very obvious why someone might not find it funny.

I get what you're saying. But just about every joke on this show will be off to some people.

I don't think much of the gay-joke stuff that goes on in Archer is funny. But I loved the past episode despite that. It had enough going for it that its unoriginal through line gets a pass.

It's kind of on the level of the big-hands stuff... not funny by itself, kind of funny when it happens enough times in enough ways that its obnoxiousness becomes humorous. It doesn't have to be top-shelf humor all the time.

I thought the worst part of the episode was Luke explaining the single same-sex attraction thing. That whole spiel was a drag, and came off as forced. The rest was pretty good.

Todd VanDerWerff's review is about the dumbest thing he's ever written. (And that includes a bunch of garbage, unbelievably forgiving reviews of Homeland's disastrous second season.)

I don't think he knows what "gay panic" means.

big ander

I get what you're saying. But just about every joke on this show will be off to some people.

I don't think much of the gay-joke stuff that goes on in Archer is funny. But I loved the past episode despite that. It had enough going for it that its unoriginal through line gets a pass.

It's kind of on the level of the big-hands stuff... not funny by itself, kind of funny when it happens enough times in enough ways that its obnoxiousness becomes humorous. It doesn't have to be top-shelf humor all the time.

I thought the worst part of the episode was Luke explaining the single same-sex attraction thing. That whole spiel was a drag, and came off as forced. The rest was pretty good.
pretty much this. for some reason people thought I was saying I was super offended and wanted everyone to hate the episode...no. I simply thought the entire gay relationship stuff was old-fashioned in a bad way and not all that funny. such an antiquated and standard sitcom plot that would not be out of place in an 80s multi-cam. it's the kind of thing I'm tired of. there were of course still great moments but that plot didn't make me laugh very often.
Dark and a...slightly darker dark?
black, extra black, and none more black

That gif made me think about how much I might be willing to pay for some Archer action figures (my original thought was bobbleheads but who wants those?) Like, proper action man style ones with shitty plastic accessories and whatnot.

Sapiens

Todd VanDerWerff's review is about the dumbest thing he's ever written. (And that includes a bunch of garbage, unbelievably forgiving reviews of Homeland's disastrous second season.)

I don't think he knows what "gay panic" means.

Todd VanDerWerff is the worst. The fucking worst.

I hate when he gets assigned to a show for reviews.

Mindlog

It was funny both times.

Yeah, in context I never took the look on their faces as simply being related to sex. Something darker happened.

Also, another callback I haven't seen mentioned.
Bup-bup.

BigAT

Hearing that Archer didn't get any money from Dodge for that episode makes me wonder if Frisky Dingo ever got money from Scion or Haggar. I guess not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom