• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are the console makers paying Rockstar to not release Grand Theft Auto VI on the PC day and date?

Going back some years I remember the original GTA coming out and it was kind of underground-ish, not too many people I know personally talked about it then. Eventually GTA II came out, me personally I really got into this game and love the multiplayer aspect of it but at the time the go to mainstream game that had this style was the Driver game. Fast forward there was a growing hype amongst everyone for an upcoming game, that game was GTA III; Unfortunately, you couldn't get it on the PC day and date like GTA II which was terrible. Obviously the game became a killer app at the time. Vice City was coming along and the hype once again was there amongst everyone but once again you had to get it on console, same with GTA San Andreas and so forth. Right now today the PC is probably the most profitable place for videogames. What's stopping Tim Sweeney from throwing a Fortnite bag of money to get GTA VI on the Epic Game store day and date as the console? In the future can a company like Tencent out bid the console makers to support in theory a platform on the PC with the GTA series day and date?

Last edited:

LectureMaster

Gold Member
Full House Reaction GIF

BlackTron

What's stopping Tim Sweeney from throwing a Fortnite bag of money to get GTA VI on the Epic Game store day and date as the console? In the future can a company like Tencent out bid the console makers to support in theory a platform on the PC with the GTA series day and date?

1) Competition bag of money from consoles

2) Not wanting an exclusive Epic store PC release because the meltdown would be catastrophic

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
No, but I'm not convinced they are making the right move. For a mainly single player game it could make sense, for a mainly multi-player Gaas type game with a single player to hook you in, they are probably leaving money on the table.

Step 1: witness that Rockstar always releases game on console first and ports to PC a year or two later
Step 2: wonder why Rockstar is releasing their next game on console first
Step 3: decide that the console makers are doing a conspiracy
This is like the conspiracy version of the stages of grief.

bigdad2007

No their fans are. Rockstar know damn well people double and triple dip on their games.

It would be like Nintendo only releasing one Pokémon main line game.

laynelane

You seem to be a little fixated on consoles. As for your latest issue with them:

Right now today the PC is probably the most profitable place for videogames.

Given the above, I can see how the only thing you could come up with is a conspiracy theory.

Cre8

You want a shot at the champ? [NG gif winner July 23]
They are following the GTAV formula, which means it be on the top ten charts for the next 10+yrs.

SHA

Cyberpunk did perform better on pc before consoles, I'd say yes, cause that logic is dated, especially with the age of AI, consoles are no longer safe.

Fess

They want the dipper money

2025: PS5, Xbox Series
2026: PC
2027: Xbox Hybrid
2028: PS6
2029: Switch 2

Something like that

Megatron

No, but I'm not convinced they are making the right move. For a mainly single player game it could make sense, for a mainly multi-player Gaas type game with a single player to hook you in, they are probably leaving money on the table.
Given that gta5 is by far the best selling game of all time, I’m not sure you’re correct.

David B

An Idiot
Rockstar admitted that making all of the details of graphics for PC is kind of hard vs how easy it is on a console. They said they just don't want to do the extra work on a PC game right now because there is so many different graphics cards and CPUs and memory and anti aliasing. It's like a headache to adjust all of that and easier to configure just for consoles as PS5 and Xbox Series X have do you want better visuals with 30 FPS or better frame rate with lower resolution. It's just easier to do 2 things instead of like 30 different ways you can adjust PC graphics and frame rate and anti aliasing and shadow detail and a lot of everything else.

CashPrizes

Rockstar probably knows they sold a ton of GTAV and RDR2 on console, and then those same buyers also bought the PC version at full price a year later. They want to keep that trend going.

I waited on both, will wait again.

Wildebeest

These people still operate like it is 2005 and the PC port is the thing you leave to that weird smelly dude wearing a faded Metallica shirt in the corner while everyone else moves onto the next big thing.

Last edited:

Hudo

I don't think so, tbh. GTA is too big to get money-hatted (T2 can ask for billions, and I doubt even Sony are retarded enough to do that). T2 have seen that a lot of people are ready to double and triple-dip. And that's what they gonna do.

Fess

These people still operate like it is 2005 and the PC port is the thing you leave to that weird smelly dude wearing a faded Metallica shirt in the corner while everyone else moves onto the next big thing.
They’ve want the double dip money from all console gamers who’re now on PC as well. They have all the data and know it works.

Top Bottom