• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are You Getting Galleon?

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
It's like I can't help myself. You walk into a store and it's OMFG that vaporware is there! I'm not expecting much from it, I'm pretty enthralled in an excellent game right now (ToS), and yet...I think I have to have it. Play the punchline, as it were. I might be alone on this one :)

aku:jiki

Fuck a review. Galleon rocks.

Yeah, it has outdated graphics (that do actually kind of look nice anyway, due to the hugeness of it all), and yeah it can get buggy and annoying. But it still rocks pretty hard. Best exhibition of athleticism I've ever seen in a game, for sure.

A friend once told me a nice story of the giant hermit crab tossing him into a wall, and he'd just grab the wall and jump back and kick its ass before it even knew what was going on. It's just like...letting you do stuff you only wish your stupid-ass character would do in other games. Simple things, like grabbing a ledge when you're taking a huge jump, or sliding on the walls to dampen the impact when you fall, or just plain climbing around on everything like a monkey.

It has pretty good voice acting and characters, too. It's easy to like Rhama and his crew.

jedimike

Defnitely. It's been a long time since I've played a game like Galleon. Milkman (GMR) was praising it. I like OXM... but there reviews seem embedded in the hype of a game and not necessarily the merits of a game.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
jedimike said:
Defnitely. It's been a long time since I've played a game like Galleon. Milkman (GMR) was praising it. I like OXM... but there reviews seem embedded in the hype of a game and not necessarily the merits of a game.

Well...OXM is trashy and unreliable but I don't expect Galleon to receive excellent scores from the more respected sites either. Edge gave it a 7/10 and their review was exuberant but I'm never quite sure of what grabs their enthusiasms. It looks like a wide-open adventure filled with a lot of energy and nice touches even though it doesn't approach what I would call "polished" haha. Anyhow, I have to have it. It didn't show up tonight, but tomorrow it's due.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Rodriguez said:
I hate you, Musashi.

BTW, you still got FSW?

I love you too.

No bitch, you complained so much when we played and no one else was enthralled by co-op either. Are you going to break down and get Rainbow 6 even though you're ambivalent about it as well?

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
This game plays like the first Tomb Raider. Do you want to play the first Tomb Raider again? Are you sure? Are you sure you're sure?

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
fenekku-gitsune said:
This game plays like the first Tomb Raider. Do you want to play the first Tomb Raider again? Are you sure? Are you sure you're sure?

Tell me more you marsupial loving reviewer.

Rodriguez

Musashi Wins! said:
I love you too.

No bitch, you complained so much when we played and no one else was enthralled by co-op either. Are you going to break down and get Rainbow 6 even though you're ambivalent about it as well?

I bought FSW again. I'm playing through the co-op mode with my bro who finally activated his XBL account after 7 months. I'm definitely getting RS3BA tomorrow (already reserved). You?

fenekku-gitsune said:

OMG! EXPLAIN YOURSELF!

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Rodriguez said:
I bought FSW again. I'm playing through the co-op mode with my bro who finally activated his XBL account after 7 months. I'm definitely getting RS3BA tomorrow (already reserved). You?

ahhh, damn it. Yes I'll go get it. I have to learn the maps with everyone else and get over my hatred of moving in the game.

BuddyC

fenekku-gitsune said:
I just got sick to my stomach, though that could be my horrible dinner (Chips, Salsa, 2 cans of Pepsi and 3 Hershey's bars) acting up on me. Elaborate?

jamesb23

I've had my eyes on Galleon for years, and despite the fact that the visuals are Dreamcast level, the artistic direction they took appeals to me. I love huge action/adventure games of this sort and I'm intrigued to see what Toby Gard has created.

I just checked out a ton of videos at IGN,bleh,the game looks like a high res. PSX game to me. If they really are selling it for 20 bucks then I'll take a look.
Also,the original Tomb Raider was kick ass,for that reason I do want to purchase this game. Only if its no more than 20 dollars though.

If they ask for any more than that then for starters-the games needs a better graphics engine in order for me to start digging out more than 20 bucks here.

I'll check it out eventually.

DSN2K

I tied the xbox demo and the visuals were not that bad at all, but the combat system was just clumsy and repetitive.

artstyle is pretty neat and the Game is impressive in its own way, maybe when it gets cheap I might take a further look.

aku:jiki

Blackace said:
does anyone have it?
Yeah. It's been out for a while in Europe.

Musashi Wins! said:
It looks like a wide-open adventure
It isn't, sorry. :(
It's totally linear. Well, at least you get to explore the islands as you want, for the most part.

It isn't very Pirates! either. Rhama may technically be a pirate (although I'm not sure about that one either), but he's a nice, charming ladiesman rather than a scurvy dog.

fenekku-gitsune said:
No. It plays like an extension and an upgrade of and to Tomb Raider, like what TR2 should've been. I don't see a problem with this.

DSN2K said:
but the combat system was just clumsy and repetitive.
I don't know about that... It's pretty smooth. Similar to Grabbed by the Ghoulies, you can smack people up from all around you and it can be pretty fun to mess around with when there's a dozen baddies out to get you. And the longer and better you fight, the more 'special moves' you get to use during that fight (up to a certain point). Sword-fighting pretty much sucks, though.

Edit: Oh yeah... A warning!
When you get to Ankhor, the island with the Hydra, do not use Faiths energy to heal you. The energy worm is bugged out and almost impossible to get. This prevented me from beating the game. I guess this could've been fixed for the US release, but I doubt it.

eso76

Blackace said:
does anyone have it?

I do. It's nowhere near as bad as we were lead to think by screenshots, not a great game either, but it has its moments.
Could probably run on a dreamcast and it wouldn't look like the most technically advanced title either, but overall it's...uhm...pleasing. Smooth enough, h-u-g-e structures in background, quite playable; excluding Hayabusa from NG, Rhama is probably one of the most athletic characters ever seen, and he's quite responsive too.
Gameplay mechanics are pretty standard at times..almost old-style. But then again, they're not worse than PoP:SoT's and the likes.
Gard really has some talent for 'atmosphere': actually i've just played the first 2 or 3 stages (yes, the game is split into stages; no wandering back and forth from island to island : \ ) but i've already encountered a few 'almost memorable' moments, like when you climb up a huge mountain in the first chapter, trying to reach someone's house (forgot whose :p) and a very nice track starts playing in bg and the wind starts blowing...
A decent game, very unpolished at times, but with a few good ideas.

jedimike

need more impressions... please?

Here is the game I have pictured in my mind...

Galleon is Monkey Island meets Mario 64 meets Grabbed by the Ghoulies

I don't care about graphics, but I want a good adventure with some light humor with vibrant environments and an easy going fighting system.

Is Galleon the game I have pictured?

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
You should read some of the British reviews Jedi. Their intriguing at worst. I was going to pick it up today but both it and Rainbow 6 are running late. Blah.

bjork

aku:jiki said:
It isn't very Pirates! either. Rhama may technically be a pirate (although I'm not sure about that one either), but he's a nice, charming ladiesman rather than a scurvy dog.

I always picket Wit and Charm as my skill in Pirates!, so there you go. :)

jedimike

just got done reading a fairly glaring review... but I'm a glutten for punishment. The things that Galleon does right intrests me enough to dismiss the things that have failed.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=55853

We were totally prepared to overlook the technical issues in Galleon and embraced the gameplay as if other games didn't exist. We dearly wanted to assess Toby Gard's labour of love on its own merits, and can safely say we enjoyed much of what went into Galleon, with its charming atmosphere, excellent script and totally unique visual style. Some of the puzzling, as well, adds brilliantly to the sense of adventure and exploration and if the game focused more on what it does best we'd have been talking in more glowing terms - perhaps even calling it the game that the last Broken Sword should have been, with supremely polished narrative adding much to the package.

But Confounding Factor believed it should have action in it too, and simply can't serve it up to the quality we've come to expect these days. The melee combat feels laboured, the boss fights repetitive and contrived, while the timed sequences largely frustrate to the point of desperate exasperation. Throw in the camera issues and the brave but ill-conceived control method and what you're left pondering over what might have been. Scratch that, what should have been. After seven years, we had every right to expect much more than a polished, competent, but ultimately flawed action-adventure.

IGN gave Galleon an 8.2

8.0 Presentation
A good story that's well told with excellent voice acting, dialog and cutscenes. Some weird production faults do bug though.

6.0 Graphics
Old school. Low res. Simplistic shading. But these are some HUGE landscapes.

8.0 Sound
Great dialog and excellent voice acting. Dramatic and dynamically changing "adventure" music. Some weak production in transitions.

9.0 Gameplay
Well thought out spacil puzzles and peculiar but enjoyable character and mechanics are the lay of the land. Great, big explorable levels.

8.0 Lasting Appeal
To get everything? Maybe 40 hours. But this will more likely take you about 10-15 in all.

8.2 OVERALL:
(out of 10 / not an average)

3rdman

I picked it up as well, but haven't put much time into it...Doom3 is taking up all my time. It does appear to be a rather rare item. I had to go to 3 differetn stores before I boguht the last one they had in stock.

lexbubble

Musashi Wins! said:
It's like I can't help myself. You walk into a store and it's OMFG that vaporware is there! I'm not expecting much from it, I'm pretty enthralled in an excellent game right now (ToS), and yet...I think I have to have it. Play the punchline, as it were. I might be alone on this one :)

I'll rent it depending on reviews and what people say here i guess. Def. not a must have for me.

Xellos

Anyone planning on buying Galleon needs to read this bit about Level 6 again:

aku:jiki said:
Oh yeah... A warning!
When you get to Ankhor, the island with the Hydra, do not use Faiths energy to heal you. The energy worm is bugged out and almost impossible to get. This prevented me from beating the game. I guess this could've been fixed for the US release, but I doubt it.

This happened to me yesterday. Actually I got the worm, but I still used Faith's healing powers, not knowing I would need magic later on to complete the level. By the time I realized this, the game had already saved over the last checkpoint where I still had the worm. I'm not seeing a "restart level" option, either. :(

Other than that major design flaw, I'm really enjoying the game. I'm just going to start over from the beginning and try to find more treasures.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
Hitler Stole My Potato said:
IGN gave Galleon an 8.2

8.0 Presentation
A good story that's well told with excellent voice acting, dialog and cutscenes. Some weird production faults do bug though.

6.0 Graphics
Old school. Low res. Simplistic shading. But these are some HUGE landscapes.

8.0 Sound
Great dialog and excellent voice acting. Dramatic and dynamically changing "adventure" music. Some weak production in transitions.

9.0 Gameplay
Well thought out spacil puzzles and peculiar but enjoyable character and mechanics are the lay of the land. Great, big explorable levels.

8.0 Lasting Appeal
To get everything? Maybe 40 hours. But this will more likely take you about 10-15 in all.

8.2 OVERALL:
(out of 10 / not an average)

You're actually going to trust an IGN X-Box review? (blatantly fanboy run site as opposed to the others) Gamespot gave it a 7.0 & on GR it's posting a 69.6. To each his own.

Top Bottom