• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Argentines seek peaceful resolution in Falklands, Brits says its settled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bo-Locks

Argentina is not equipped to attack anything. I don't personally feel affected by the issue since I was barely born when the war took place, but sending a big-ass warship down here is only instigating things.

It just happens to be that a new vessel is being deployed as part of a routine rotation around the South Atlantic waters. Another (older) vessel is being withdrawn. I'd be interested to know if you consider Prince William being deployed as part of a search and rescue training operation is also "instigating things"?

Also, you brits in this thread are acting like fucking idiots. Does it feel good to have a bigger navy than a developing country? Grow up.

It's also ironic that you accuse Brits in this thread of behaving like "fucking idiots". If it wasn't for your government's constant diplomatic/economic escalation, increasing rhetoric and prior history, then we wouldn't have to spend so much money patrolling the waters and skies with billions of pounds worth of equipment.

Argentina is not equipped to attack anything. I don't personally feel affected by the issue since I was barely born when the war took place, but sending a big-ass warship down here is only instigating things.

Also, you brits in this thread are acting like fucking idiots. Does it feel good to have a bigger navy than a developing country? Grow up.

Yes. Especially when that same developing country used it's Navy to invade our land 30 years ago.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
We can't even "beat" the Taliban.

United States
United Kingdom
Canada
Australia
New Zealand
Germany
France
Hungary
Italy
Spain
Turkey
Poland
Portugal
Romania
Georgia
Denmark
Belgium
Czech Republic
Norway
Bulgaria
South Korea
Albania
Azerbaijan
Singapore

I'm sure all those nations combined couldn't defeat Argentina in conventional warfare either.

Amirite?

Casp0r

Banned
Has anything to do with this

Britain was forced to plead with the US to take part in the flotilla challenging Iranian power in the Gulf after American commanders decided the Royal Navy had nothing to contribute to the mission. The revelation that US defence chiefs saw little military value in UK participation will raise new questions about Britain’s international clout after Coalition defence cuts. The source described the approach of France and Britain as “classic willy-waving”, accusing the two countries of posturing to conceal their military irrelevance to the confrontation with Iran. A Whitehall confirmed the sequence of events and described the international negotiations over the flotilla as “humiliating” for Britain.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...ad-with-US-to-take-part-in-Iran-flotilla.html

Did you even read that article.

The US navy is more than capable of dealing with Iran all by itself. They were telling the UK 'thanks, but we got this' ... not 'lol, no thanks'.

Or do you think the US's 100x larger military budget would not be enough to take on Irans?

Kayo-kun

CHEEZMO™;34934660 said:
United States
United Kingdom
Canada
Australia
New Zealand
Germany
France
Hungary
Italy
Spain
Turkey
Poland
Portugal
Romania
Georgia
Denmark
Belgium
Czech Republic
Norway
Bulgaria
South Korea
Albania
Azerbaijan
Singapore

I'm sure all those nations combined couldn't defeat Argentina in conventional warfare either.

Amirite?

Hey, leave my country out of this!

Kammie

Yes. Especially when that same developing country used it's Navy to invade our land 30 years ago.
When the islands were invaded there was a military junta that had taken control. You can't equate that with the democratic government we have here now.

It just happens to be that a new vessel is being deployed as part of a routine rotation around the South Atlantic waters. Another (older) vessel is being withdrawn. I'd be interested to know if you consider Prince William being deployed as part of a search and rescue training operation is also "instigating things"?

It's also ironic that you accuse Brits in this thread of behaving like "fucking idiots". If it wasn't for your government's constant diplomatic/economic escalation, increasing rhetoric and prior history, then we wouldn't have to spend so much money patrolling the waters and skies with billions of pounds worth of equipment.
I'm not sensitive to the issue because like I stated, it doesn't affect me on a personal or emotional level. So no, I don't see the prince being sent here as instigating things. But speaking objectively, sending a billion-dollar warship over here *is* instigating, whether it's replacing another or not. I don't agree with the trade embargoes that the government may be imposing, but at the least its end goal is diplomacy. A warship esentially just says "Go fuck yourself," which the British have all but said in any case.

In full disclosure, I loathe the current government and did not vote for them. I see this as just a typical political stunt to play on emotions and get people's minds off everything else that's wrong here at the moment. The sooner it's behind us the better.

Did you even read that article.

The US navy is more than capable of dealing with Iran all by itself. They were telling the UK 'thanks, but we got this' ... not 'lol, no thanks'.

Or do you think the US's 100x larger military budget would not be enough to take on Irans?

I read the article just fine. What it showed was the US, naturally, doesn't need military support but the Europeans, who needn't be there at all, wanted to portray military relevance as well but had to convince the Americans to allow them to join for posturing if nothing else.. It left the British feel "humiliated". The Argentinians feeling the British now militarising their posture in the Falklands could be interpreted in Whitehall wanting to validate (say in Washington) something.

My post had nothing to do with Iran but rather attitudes towards Britain's military capabilities - something that was widely reported on during the summer/fall of 2010

When the islands were invaded there was a military junta that had taken control. You can't equate that with the democratic government we have here now.

Yes you can. The Government might have changed but your new 'democratic' government is still pushing for blockades and attempting to isolate the people of the Falklands islands. The nature of the Government that pulled shit like this before doesn't really matter to the UK, it's still a sign of aggression and an anti-British agenda. Clearly it doesn't matter to the Argentinian Government either since you've just named a sport's league after a warship that was carrying out that military junta's agenda.

But speaking objectively, sending a billion-dollar warship over here *is* instigating, whether it's replacing another or not. I don't agree with the trade embargoes that the government may be imposing, but at the least its end goal is diplomacy. A warship esentially just says "Go fuck yourself," which the British have all but said in any case.

In full disclosure, I loathe the current government and did not vote for them. I see this as just a typical political stunt to play on emotions and get people's minds off everything else that's wrong here at the moment. The sooner it's behind us the better.

Speaking objectively, preventing ships flying the Falklands flag from docking in South American and Caribbean ports as the first stage of campaign to isolate the people of the Falklands islands *is* instigating something. Sending a billion-dollar warship to the islands after this campaign began isn't instigating anything. Believe it or not you guys don't have a good track record when it comes to not invading the Falklands so sending a ship out there to dissuade a second attempt is well within our rights, especially when British lives could be at risk.

EDIT: I apologize for my aggressive tone. You're right that this is a political stunt to divert attention from Argentina's real problems and you're right not to vote for Kirchner's government. But it's hard to be sympathetic when a political stunt is going to, at best, make life more difficult for the islanders and at worst see the loss of British and Argentinian lives.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
No. not again.. This wont end well.

I agree with Argentina; the Falklands belong to them just like Cuba belongs to the US. Give it time.

by that logic, Europe belongs to the UK, mwhahahahahahah, so does africa and Asia then, hey its just one large land mass

Kammie

Yes you can. The Government might have changed but your new 'democratic' government is still pushing for blockades and attempting to isolate the people of the Falklands islands. The nature of the Government that pulled shit like this before doesn't really matter to the UK, it's still a sign of aggression and an anti-British agenda. Clearly it doesn't matter to the Argentinian Government either since you've just named a sport's league after a warship that was carrying out that military junta's agenda.

Speaking objectively, preventing ships flying the Falklands flag from docking in South American and Caribbean ports as the first stage of campaign to isolate the people of the Falklands islands *is* instigating something. Sending a billion-dollar warship to the islands after this campaign began isn't instigating anything. Believe it or not you guys don't have a good track record when it comes to not invading the Falklands so sending a ship out there to dissuade a second attempt is well within our rights, especially when British lives could be at risk.
You're putting the word "democratic" in quotes as if no first-world power has ever forced embargoes on anyone. The government does not sympathize with the fact that the islands were attacked, it sympathizes with the fact that they feel Argentina has a claim to them and there were lives lost on that ship. The junta forced common untrained civilians into the war and as a result hundreds died in what was basically a massacre--this is why this is a particularly sensitive issue over here. Also as a technicality, the name is for only a tournament, not a league. It's just a cheap ploy to get the issue across to the plebeian masses that don't read or watch the news. The government took over all funding and advertising for football on television so you can be sure they're going to peddle their shit.

I'll also reiterate that the embargoes are with the end goal of forcing the British into some kind of talk... there is no way Argentina is going to use any military force at all, and the British government knows it. I don't know how the media is portraying things over there, but if that's the line they're taking, you're also being manipulated.

EDIT: I apologize for my aggressive tone. You're right that this is a political stunt to divert attention from Argentina's real problems and you're right not to vote for Kirchner's government. But it's hard to be sympathetic when a political stunt is going to, at best, make life more difficult for the islanders and at worst see the loss of British and Argentinian lives.
Like I said, this won't escalate into anything. And if the islanders are going to be inconvenienced, it'll be due to the obstinance from both sides. They'll be fine eventually.

You're putting the word "democratic" in quotes as if no first-world power has ever forced embargoes on anyone. The government does not sympathize with the fact that the islands were attacked, it sympathizes with the fact that they feel Argentina has a claim to them and there were lives lost on that ship. The junta forced common untrained civilians into the war and as a result hundreds died in what was basically a massacre--this is why this is a particularly sensitive issue over here. Also as a technicality, the name is for only a tournament, not a league. It's just a cheap ploy to get the issue across to the plebeian masses that don't read or watch the news. The government took over all funding and advertising for football on television so you can be sure they're going to peddle their shit.

I'll also reiterate that the embargoes are with the end goal of forcing the British into some kind of talk... there is no way Argentina is going to use any military force at all, and the British government knows it. I don't know how the media is portraying things over there, but if that's the line they're taking, you're also being manipulated.

They aren't portraying Argentina as seeking to use military force but you can't really blame the British for being over-cautious. And Britain isn't going to enter into any talks since there is nothing to talk about. The islands are British, more importantly the people are British and want to remain British. Case closed.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

what talks? there's nothing to discuss.

Can't say I'm in disagreement. ;) A land dispute from something that took place 200 years ago is a bit silly... let it go.

we have.

dalin80

Banned
Out of curiosity,how does HMS Dauntless compare to its US counterparts?

I think that comparison would be with the now ageing Arleigh Burke class destroyer-

The Arleigh Burke class destroyer, is larger, heavier and carries a larger supply of more diverse weaponry, while the type 45 is a dedicated anti-air destroyer which is ran 'fitted for but not with' anti ship missile systems. In essence the AB is a better all round ship in terms of weaponry while the type 45 will have to have extra weapons bolted on to be as diverse which it is capable of but to save money it doesnt come equipped with as standard. The type 45's anti sub capability comes from a helicopter based weaponry rather then its own systems.

Both ships are equipped with multi purpose cannons and other such traditional weaponry.

Both ships Have speeds over 30knots which is good pace but the type 45 can travel almost twice the distance.

The main functional difference is the sampson and associated radar systems which give the type 45 massive radar range and scope of many times the distance and many times the amount of targets, the type 45 is capable of monitoring targets the size of golf balls 4x further out then the AB class.

And obviously as a brand new hull the type 45 has been built around a radar 'stealth' body shape, But both air ruddy great targets so I will presume they both pretty easy to hit.

So in essence as a anti-air system or anti-air area defence ship the type 45 kicks ass as it can monitor everything flying across whole countries with immense tracking capabilities, which is probably why the argentians are unhappy its there as it can monitor their entire country while sat in falklands harbour. In terms of a general purpose warship the AB is much better as it has far greater diversity thanks to a wide array of weaponry and capabilities.

Put both in a single fleet with a ASW ship and nothing could get close.

USS_Arleigh_Burke_Mediterranean2.jpg

Daring.jpg

Casp0r

Banned
Out of curiosity,how does HMS Dauntless compare to its US counterparts?

It's the most advanced anti-air ship in the world.

I'm not sensitive to the issue because like I stated, it doesn't affect me on a personal or emotional level. So no, I don't see the prince being sent here as instigating things. But speaking objectively, sending a billion-dollar warship over here *is* instigating, whether it's replacing another or not. I don't agree with the trade embargoes that the government may be imposing, but at the least its end goal is diplomacy. A warship esentially just says "Go fuck yourself," which the British have all but said in any case.

You mean a billion dollar ship that's primary purpose is defensive means ... is 'instigating'?

Shut the fuck up. Argentina is pissed because the presence of this ship effectively cripples any possibility of an attack on the island.

The fact they're upset with the presence of the ship says more than the actually presence of the ship been there.

It's equivalent to bitching at cops for wearing bullet proof vests as a sign they're instigating violence.

OddSpoon

Banned
Last I heard, Iran secretly had units set up in South America like the scum they are.

Oh... what are we talking about again? British Pride?

jorma

is now taking requests
No. not again.. This wont end well.

by that logic, Europe belongs to the UK, mwhahahahahahah, so does africa and Asia then, hey its just one large land mass

No.

Cuba belongs to the US, the US belongs to the UK and the UK belongs to continental europe.

Settled? Settled.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Fixed.

Edit: Damn. Osiris, you now own my soul. Treat it well.

Holy crap, Just checked the bottle, 78% proof, you can have it back! :p

Rourkey

I wonder if this

Argentina is to make a formal complaint to the United Nations about British "militarisation" around the disputed Falkland Islands. In her address on Tuesday, Ms Fernandez accused the UK of "militarising the South Atlantic one more time". "We will present a complaint to the UN Security Council and the UN General Assembly, as this militarisation poses a grave danger to international security," Ms Fernandez said. "We cannot interpret in any other way the deployment of an ultra-modern destroyer accompanying the heir to the throne, who we would prefer to see in civilian attire."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-16939043

Has anything to do with this

Britain was forced to plead with the US to take part in the flotilla challenging Iranian power in the Gulf after American commanders decided the Royal Navy had nothing to contribute to the mission. The revelation that US defence chiefs saw little military value in UK participation will raise new questions about Britain’s international clout after Coalition defence cuts. The source described the approach of France and Britain as “classic willy-waving”, accusing the two countries of posturing to conceal their military irrelevance to the confrontation with Iran. A Whitehall confirmed the sequence of events and described the international negotiations over the flotilla as “humiliating” for Britain.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...ad-with-US-to-take-part-in-Iran-flotilla.html

Bullshit

In reality the Americans PAY Britain to station its mine hunters in the gulf because their capabilities far exceed the American equivalents.

SteveWD40

Well, the Americans sure wanted our support when fighting horribly unpopular wars in an area they had little experience (counter insurgency / desert warfare).

Bit much to then say "oh, no thanks we gud lol"

And the US did support the UK in the Falkands war, although quietly, I remember seeing pics of US choppers dropping of SAS / SBS patrols.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Is there an election coming up in Argentina or something?

And the US did support the UK in the Falkands war, although quietly, I remember seeing pics of US choppers dropping of SAS / SBS patrols.

Their selective criteria for upholding the Monroe Doctrine was more a telling case of support than anything else.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
I like the idea that smaller Islands should belong to near by larger nations.

Australia could do with some more Islands.

Well, the Americans sure wanted our support when fighting horribly unpopular wars in an area they had little experience (counter insurgency / desert warfare).

Bit much to then say "oh, no thanks we gud lol"

They also handed us some then brand-new stinger anti-air missiles, but the main reason for doing so was that the US wanted to field test them.

Argentina has never actually ruled the falklands and historically has a better claim to uruguay than they have to the islands, the people there want to remain british, case closed

This is true. If you ask them what their claim of ownership is (as in any treaty or document supporting their position), they'll quickly revert to "the Faulklands are ours", just because.

There's not a single piece of evidence supporting their position. They just feel entitled to them.

Omikaru

For Argentina to claim sovereignty over the islands without the consent of its people is insulting. It's wholly undemocratic, unfair, and quite frankly imperialistic. They've never ruled the islands, and their only claim is one of geography. Unfortunately, that's not a strong enough reason, since any country could claim sovereignty over any neighbouring nation if that were the case.

And besides, they waived their position to negotiate when they invaded the islands. The only people who should have a say in this matter are the residents of the islands. Anything else being discussed is, quite frankly, unacceptable.

PersonaX

How else could people posting on a gaming site make themselves feel better if not by "hurr my army is bigger than yours" dick waving?

this is neogaf.

If there is no case for the Argentinians owning the Falklands, how are the government and possibly media making their point over there

as it seems they would have no argument other than it's close, therefore it's ours...?

SteveWD40

If there is no case for the Argentinians owning the Falklands, how are the government and possibly media making their point over there

as it seems they would have no argument other than it's close, therefore it's ours...?

It's easy to provoke nationalism with half truths and rhetoric, especially when you lost a war to the folks you are attacking.

Casp0r

Banned

They teach their kids lies for 100's of years it eventually becomes fact (in their mind).

Argentina argues that the islanders do not have the right to self-determination, arguing that they are not aboriginal and were brought to replace the Argentine population that Argentina claims was expelled after the re-establishment of British rule in 1833.

Oh the irony.

Then of course Argentina wants to come to the table to talk.

Following the Argentine claim, the United Kingdom offered to take the dispute over the Falkland Island Dependencies to mediation at the International Court of Justice in The Hague (1947, 1948 and 1955); on each occasion Argentina declined.

Oh the irony.

Meadows

Banned
Anyone seen this clown at the UN?

I don't really see how he can argue about militarisation. It's our land, who cares? We obviously aren't going to attack Argentina.

Anyone seen this clown at the UN?

I don't really see how he can argue about militarisation. It's our land, who cares? We obviously aren't going to attack Argentina.

Yeah I saw some clips, it's a bit of a joke. Not sure where they are getting the nuclear sub shit from, don't think the UK has sent anything like that down there, or would it be protocol to keep stuff like that hush-hush?

I was talking to people in my work about it today, both of whom are interested in international affairs. Was kinda shocked to find that they both sided with the Argentinians and felt we should 'give the islands back'.

In other news a few British papers are reporting that the U.S. has sided with the Argentinian's on the issue.

Roberta S. Jacobson said:
Our position remains the same. This is a problem between two of our partners. We do not want to change our position (…) We prefer that both countries negotiate a diplomatic solution in that matter.

and

State Department spokesman Victoria Nuland said:
We believe that this is a bilateral issue that needs to be worked out directly between Argentina and the United Kingdom. That’s what we are encouraging both sides to do as we head towards this anniversary… we are encouraging Argentina and the UK to work this out peacefully, to work it out through negotiations.

America seems to be backing up Argentina's assertion that there is something to talk about, rather then the British position that the islands are British until the Falkland islanders decide otherwise. A bit disappointing/ungrateful given Britain's backing of the US since 9/11

Oh wow i never knew about this:

BTW Falklands history is not part of the education plan. Pretty crazy huh? (At least during my time)

because you'd find out the falklands never belonged to "argentina", the claim stems entirely from from spain and the united provinces era. To see how far that kind of backward logic goes it'd be like saying England still has rights on normandy and calais.

"malvinas" is a rallying cry for the ill educated.

Argentina is not equipped to attack anything. I don't personally feel affected by the issue since I was barely born when the war took place, but sending a big-ass warship down here is only instigating things..

You mean the regular patrols of warships that have been done for the past 30 years...?

The ships and military base are only there because your government refuses to drop the claim.

The whole political rhetoric from Argentina is nuts.

They are the ones who dragged all that shit back up again, we send a ship to patrol the waters (as has been done for the last 30 odd years) and suddenly we are the big bad guys. If they'd just kept their gobs shut things would have carried on as normal.

'OMG ITS SO NOT FAIR BRITAIN IS DEFENDING THEIR ISLAND. DAMN THEM!'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom