• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Argentines seek peaceful resolution in Falklands, Brits says its settled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meadows

Banned
Really disappointing that the US are essentially backing Argentina, it's almost like the last 11 years never happened.##

Oh, and fun fact: we provide Argentina with millions of pounds of government aid a year! You're welcome Argentina!

Really disappointing that the US are essentially backing Argentina, it's almost like the last 11 years never happened.

Pretty much yeah. They could easily have taken the stance that sovereignty was for the Falkland islanders to decide and remained essentially neutral.

Obama and his administration doesn't really seem to like the UK much. I remember reading an article about the lead up to Gordon Brown's visit to the US where a state department official was quoted as saying

"There's nothing special about Britain. You're just the same as the other 190 countries in the world. You shouldn't expect special treatment."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...d-to-give-proper-welcome-to-Gordon-Brown.html

I think providing the largest number of soldiers, after the US itself, in two US led wars makes us pretty 'special'. As someone who knows people who have lost family in those wars, it's pretty insulting.

louis89

Really disappointing that the US are essentially backing Argentina, it's almost like the last 11 years never happened.##

Oh, and fun fact: we provide Argentina with millions of pounds of government aid a year! You're welcome Argentina!
Who cares what the United States says? They have no say in this whatsoever. They can back who they like; the United Kingdom will not negotiate over the Falkland Islands until the Falkland Islanders tell us to. End of story.

Foothills

Banned
Who cares what the United States says? They have no say in this whatsoever. They can back who they like; the United Kingdom will not negotiate over the Falkland Islands until the Falkland Islanders tell us to. End of story.

Monroe doctrine bitches.

:p

Pretty much yeah. They could easily have taken the stance that sovereignty was for the Falkland islanders to decide and remained essentially neutral.

Obama and his administration doesn't really seem to like the UK much. I remember reading an article about the lead up to Gordon Brown's visit to the US where a state department official was quoted as saying

I think providing the largest number of soldiers, after the US itself, in two US led wars makes us pretty 'special'. As someone who knows people who have lost family in those wars, it's pretty insulting.

Obama doesn't really like any foreign nation very much

also it seems like UK makes a bigger deal about the 'special relationship' than the US does

goomba

Banned
Seems the reason for this issue to be back is because the UK are looking at drilling for oil around the falkland islands, i.e drilling for oil directly off Argentinas coast, I dont blame them for being pissed off.

As for the "they are british till the islanders say so" , what a bunch of bollocks. Just like in northern Ireland the locals are indoctrinated into uk flag waving and taking bribes. Which fuels the problem.

shas'la

Its sad that the Dauntless will be one of the last state of the art ships the UK can put out (after the new air carriers later this decade), I wander what state we'll be in to protect the islanders in another 30-40 years.

Meadows

Banned
Argentinean should act firmly and aggressively

right so:

- Argentina have never really owned the Islands
- The UK have owned the Islands and had permanent settlement on them for 180 years
- Argentina illegally invaded the islands in 1980
- During the war the Argentinian army planted landmines all over the islands, which plague the locals to this day
- The locals FIRMLY want to stay in the UK (85%, the other 15% is made up of people saying they didn't care or didn't know)
- Only two Argentinians have EVER lived on the Falklands

So why don't you firmly and aggressively fuck off

Meadows

Banned
Seems the reason for this issue to be back is because the UK are looking at drilling for oil around the falkland islands, i.e drilling for oil directly off Argentinas coast, I dont blame them for being pissed off.

directly = 350 miles away?

genjiZERO

right so:

- The UK have owned the Islands and had permanent settlement on them for 180 years
- During the war the Argentinian army planted landmines all over the islands, which plague the locals to this day
- The locals FIRMLY want to stay in the UK (85%, the other 15% is made up of people saying they didn't care or didn't know)

you can't argue facts with people when patriotism blinds them.

goomba

Banned
right so:

How did the UK come to "own" the falkland islands?. Who did they buy them off ?

Bo-Locks

As for the "they are british till the islanders say so" , what a bunch of bollocks. Just like in northern Ireland the locals are indoctrinated into uk flag waving and taking bribes. Which fuels the problem.

The Islands are 300miles (nearly 500km) from the coast of Argentina.

I also think that the sovereignty disputes over the Falklands and Northern Ireland are somewhat different.

...Something tells me that you're about as intelligent and informed about this issue as "Crazy Monkey", which is to say - not very much.

Seems the reason for this issue to be back is because the UK are looking at drilling for oil around the falkland islands, drilling for oil directly off Argentinas coast, I dont blame them for being pissed off.

As for the "we are british till the islanders say so" , what a bunch of bollocks. Just like in northern Ireland the locals are indoctrinated into uk flag waving and subsidies. Which fuels the problem.

If by "directly off Argentinas coast", you mean hundreds of miles from it, then sure.

That NI comparison is bullshit, you clearly have no understanding of history. Trust me, if there wasn't a large number of people in NI (possibly the majority, even now) who strongly wanted to remain part of the Union, we would have pulled out of there decades ago.

Meadows

Banned
yes and by sending war ships in the ocean on patrol

and we'll sink them if they come into our land, just like they did last time.

we won't be unprepared like last time, we have one of the world's most advanced warships right next to the islands, a ship that could literally destroy the entire Argentinian navy and air force within 25 minutes.

right so:

Epic, my good man, just brilliant.

Maybe it was the voice I read it in but the entire post is great, well done.

Pollux

On I side note I hate Obama for the way he treats the UK, and really don't understand why he does seem to dislike them so much...

On I side note I hate Obama for the way he treats the UK, and really don't understand why he does seem to dislike them so much...

Hates a strong word, I think it would be more accurate to say he's not as big on the Special Relationship as Dubya and Reagan were.

Interesting that the closest bonds with US Presidents were with two very "presidential" PMs, Blair and Thatcher, while this wasn't the case with more "traditional", less flashy PMs: Major and Brown.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I was reading Jane's Defense. The Argentine military is incredibly pathetic, and they are freaking out because a new destroyer and the Prince is coming?

Please.

Niks

Brits its all over, pack your bags and go back home...
"Hugo Chavez says Venezuelan troops would fight with Argentina over Falklands"

Argentina simply doesn't have the faintest, even slightest right to the island in 100 histories and 100 more. oh and

THE PEOPLE WANT TO REMAIN BRITISH

pretty stupid the U.S. would back Argentina. Don't back anyone, it's not our business

dalin80

Banned
How did the UK come to "own" the falkland islands?. Who did they buy them off ?

Ownership and claims were in dispute from around 1500 to 1800 between spain, portugal, the netherlands and the UK mainly, the UK had defacto ownership long before argentina even existed as a country, they weren't 'purchased' it was a mix of discovery claims, plaques of ownerships and settlements.

Also a warship has been on duty at the falklands since argentinas invasion, so argentina complaining about something they themselves brought on just makes them look more deluded.

The recent attempts to try and starve the islanders off is all that needs to be known about the current situation.

I was talking to people in my work about it today, both of whom are interested in international affairs. Was kinda shocked to find that they both sided with the Argentinians and felt we should 'give the islands back'.

That's generally because the majority of people seem to have been deluded into thinking Argentina owned the Falklands at some point in their history.

Can't remember the exact story, but I think Obama's grandfather (or maybe great grandfather) was killed/tortured by the British.

Al-ibn Kermit

Can't remember the exact story, but I think Obama's grandfather (or maybe great grandfather) was killed/tortured by the British.
No, Britain suppressed the Mau Mau rebellion in Kenya and Obama's grandfather was among those tortured by the colony's regime.

I can definitely see why he would hate colonialism in general but I don't think he's assuming the Falkland Islands are the exact same situation as Kenya. I doubt he's letting what happened decades ago influence diplomatic relations right now.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
The Argentine Airforce

8 Mirage 3's

14 IAI Daggers, essentially Mirage 5's

7 Mirage 5's

34 A4's

The Argentine Navy

4 Destroyers, from 1983

3 diesel/electric subs, from 1983

9 corvettes, from 1983 - 2004

They can't do shit.

ChiTownBuffalo

You want Alaska?
You have to take the Palins too.

No, Britain suppressed the Mau Mau rebellion in Kenya and Obama's grandfather was among those tortured by the colony's regime.

I can definitely see why he would hate colonialism in general but I don't think he's assuming the Falkland Islands are the exact same situation as Kenya. I doubt he's letting what happened decades ago influence diplomatic relations right now.
He has already. In a way. There's been a good few times the Obama administration has snubbed the Brits, for example refusing to meet Gordon Brown at the G8 summit, the Gordon Brown gifts bullshit, wanting to return a bust of Winston Churchill given to the US after 9/11 etc etc. Whilst they might seem relatively un-important or even trivial, shit like refusing to meet the leader of your most commited ally at a time when that ally is still pledging men and resources to your cause is very telling of the true state of relations between the US and UK.

Obama know shit like this is going to get scrutinized and perceived this way, but they do it regardless. At a time when the UK has spent so much during two US lead wars, a failure on the Obama administrations part to come out either in defence of their ally or neutral, but actually in thinly veiled support of Argentina sends a pretty clear message

Chavez sabre rattling with a key NATO member all but ensures yank support, but yeah...obama is a nob.

sangreal

He has already. In a way. There's been a good few times the Obama administration has snubbed the Brits, for example refusing to meet Gordon Brown at the G8 summit, the Gordon Brown gifts bullshit, wanting to return a bust of Winston Churchill given to the US after 9/11 etc etc. Whilst they might seem relatively un-important or even trivial, shit like refusing to meet the leader of your most commited ally at a time when that ally is still pledging men and resources to your cause is very telling of the true state of relations between the US and UK.

None of your examples aside from tacky gifts are even true, which is pretty telling of the true state of journalism in the UK.

The bust was removed before Obama took office, and the "snub" at the G20 simply never happened (they met at the end of the summit), despite rumors.

Al-ibn Kermit

Obama know shit like this is going to get scrutinized and perceived this way, but they do it regardless. At a time when the UK has spent so much during two US lead wars, a failure on the Obama administrations part to come out either in defence of their ally or neutral, but actually in thinly veiled support of Argentina sends a pretty clear message

Well anybody from Kenya, India, Iran, etc would have a strong dislike of Winston Churchill. He was a pretty despicable sack of shit to any non-anglos who wanted to break from Britain's grasp, I remember he said something about how rebellions should be put down with "a smattering of gunfire".

I do doubt that what happened to his grandfather is the motivation for all those other things though. I'm saying that there must be some larger motivations for those other incidents of snubbing Britain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom